Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50851 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »
Continuing my Oscars prep, I watched Top Gun: Maverick.

I was expecting a brainless popcorn flick. I even had to double check during the opening scenes to make sure I wasn't watching the original. But you know what? It was a pretty good movie! Not nearly best picture worthy but a good movie. Very well shot, the acting was good and the story was better than it had any business being. I even liked Miles Teller, and I hate Miles teller.

Also kudos to Val Kilmer. Really elevated the movie.

Very good sequel.....just a solid action film with some substance sprinkled in. Top notch production obviously.....I really liked it.

I concur! Like Adami, I was expecting the same cheesy flick of the 80's and was impressed with the overall production. In fact the last sequence reminded me of Star Wars so - ain't nothing wrong with that!  :tup

Oh you mean the mission that was literally just Star Wars?  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2023, 06:43:48 PM »
...the story was better than it had any business being.

In the days after my first viewing when reflecting on the film, this was something I kept coming back to. I think some writers/producers/directors overthink their films, for lack of a better term. And by doing so bog them down with unnecessary plot points, characterizations, and such. The writing on this film was direct and concise. Nothing felt out of place or overblown.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2023, 02:00:15 AM »
A couple of highlights this past week were The Devils - really hard to find but worth it, might become a new favorite - and the King Crimson documentary In The Court of the Crimson King, which screened at a festival near me. Easily one of the most interesting look at a band in this kind of movie (contains an incredible emotional gut punch involving Robert Fripp crying... wow)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2023, 02:57:07 AM »

I was expecting a brainless popcorn flick. I even had to double check during the opening scenes to make sure I wasn't watching the original. But you know what? It was a pretty good movie! Not nearly best picture worthy but a good movie. Very well shot, the acting was good and the story was better than it had any business being. I even liked Miles Teller, and I hate Miles teller.

Very good sequel.....just a solid action film with some substance sprinkled in. Top notch production obviously.....I really liked it.

I concur! Like Adami, I was expecting the same cheesy flick of the 80's and was impressed with the overall production. In fact the last sequence reminded me of Star Wars so - ain't nothing wrong with that!  :tup

And the mission would be much better suited to drone pilots...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:47:57 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
Lately I've been revisiting some films that I really loved from the 80s.  This week I rewatched Body Heat with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner.  Supporting cast included Mickey Rourke, Richard Crenna, and Ted Danson.  I still enjoyed the film, but it looks quite different to me coming from my 50s than from my 20s.  It is still a decent thriller with tons of sexy sizzle to keep it interesting.  It's a bit of a remake of the classic Double Indemnity.

I realized after watching it that I had a bit of an obsession with Lawrence Kasdan films back then.  The Big Chill, Silverado, Raiders of the Lost Ark, French Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Adami

« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2023, 10:11:12 AM »

And the mission would be much better suited to drone pilots...

I'm not a pilot but this seems like a pretty good point I hadn't realized.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2023, 10:19:04 AM »
Lately I've been revisiting some films that I really loved from the 80s.  This week I rewatched Body Heat with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner.  Supporting cast included Mickey Rourke, Richard Crenna, and Ted Danson.  I still enjoyed the film, but it looks quite different to me coming from my 50s than from my 20s.  It is still a decent thriller with tons of sexy sizzle to keep it interesting.  It's a bit of a remake of the classic Double Indemnity.

I realized after watching it that I had a bit of an obsession with Lawrence Kasdan films back then.  The Big Chill, Silverado, Raiders of the Lost Ark, French Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi
In fairness, Lawrence Kasdan made an awful lot of good films back then.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2023, 03:47:33 PM »

In fairness, Lawrence Kasdan made an awful lot of good films back then.

Indeed!  I think I've seen The Big Chill about 200 times.  LoL. Silverado too.  Love that movie.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2023, 04:44:09 PM »
The Banshees of Inisherin

Was ok. Odd. Lovely photography and great performances. Not quite sure what the point was or what it was supposed to be, though.
I saw this over the weekend and thought it was fantastic.

But I don't worry about "the point".  It was definitely strange, but the performance were top notch, and the cinematography was incredible.  One of my favorite recent watches, and I see why it was nominated for Best Picture, although I don't think it will win.

Cool. I'd certainly recommend it to those who like an "interesting" film. It was different and has stuck with me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #324 on: March 04, 2023, 09:31:00 AM »
BTW - ya'll know we have Meth Gator to look forward to this summer. Right?  :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: March 04, 2023, 11:04:48 AM »

Saw it many, many years ago, but Body Heat is indeed fantastic. Ted Danson is so good in it. In an alternate, sans-Cheers universe, he is a legit A-list, Oscar-winning film actor.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #326 on: March 04, 2023, 12:01:04 PM »
A few weeks ago I rewatched the original Ghost in the Shell with a friend who hadn't watched it. Loved it even more than the first time I watched it. And last night, with some friends we watched most of Mirror, by Andrei Tarkovsky. Such a gorgeous film, but a bit slow, and it didn't help I was drunk and falling asleep :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2023, 02:26:44 PM »
The death of stalin with Steve buscemi.

Dark comedy literally about the aftermath when stalin died. I thought I was gonna love this move, but there was way too much reliance on improvisation imo and a lot it just didn't hit.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2023, 02:48:03 PM »
The death of stalin with Steve buscemi.

Dark comedy literally about the aftermath when stalin died. I thought I was gonna love this move, but there was way too much reliance on improvisation imo and a lot it just didn't hit.

I thought it was funny. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it was quite a ride.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2023, 06:56:28 AM »
Continuing my Oscars lead up, I watched Aftersun and Triangle of Sadness.

Aftersun was good, though honestly it felt like it could've been a short film. It makes a very specific point and it does it very well, but it could've made the same point in 30-40 minutes as it did in an hour 40 minutes, and I am rarely one to say a movie should be shorter, I usually prefer them longer. But with a feature length, you're left waiting for something that justifies the length and this just didn't have it. Still a good movie and the lead actor did a fantastic job with a nuanced performance.

Triangle of Sadness is nuts. I think this is a film that would give Stadler an aneurism. I've read some criticism of it as strictly being anti 1% but I think that misses the point considerably. It doesn't make a lot of subtle points but it explores class, power dynamics, and human nature quite effectively. It's directed really well and the characters are interesting and engaging. I really dug this movie.

Next up is Fabelmans tomorrow, then Tar and All Quiet on the Western Front this weekend. Wooo!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2023, 07:25:07 AM »
I think this is a film that would give Stadler an aneurism.
I'M IN

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2023, 07:34:15 AM »

Aftersun was good, though honestly it felt like it could've been a short film. It makes a very specific point and it does it very well, but it could've made the same point in 30-40 minutes as it did in an hour 40 minutes, and I am rarely one to say a movie should be shorter, I usually prefer them longer. But with a feature length, you're left waiting for something that justifies the length and this just didn't have it. Still a good movie and the lead actor did a fantastic job with a nuanced performance.

Triangle of Sadness is nuts. I think this is a film that would give Stadler an aneurism. I've read some criticism of it as strictly being anti 1% but I think that misses the point considerably. It doesn't make a lot of subtle points but it explores class, power dynamics, and human nature quite effectively. It's directed really well and the characters are interesting and engaging. I really dug this movie.

Next up is Fabelmans tomorrow, then Tar and All Quiet on the Western Front this weekend. Wooo!

I've never heard of Triangle of Sadness, but of all the titles listed, the "Fablemans" is the one that would give the aneurysm.  I'm not sure I know how to articulate it, but I bristle at what I expect the Fablemans to be. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2023, 07:39:46 AM »

I've never heard of Triangle of Sadness, but of all the titles listed, the "Fablemans" is the one that would give the aneurysm.  I'm not sure I know how to articulate it, but I bristle at what I expect the Fablemans to be.

It's a fictionalized version of Steven Spielberg's childhood and family as directed by Steven Spielberg. Not the one I'm most excited for but it looks good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2023, 07:58:49 AM »

It's a fictionalized version of Steven Spielberg's childhood and family as directed by Steven Spielberg. Not the one I'm most excited for but it looks good.

And that's the part that makes me shake my head.  Again, it's hard to articulate, but Spielberg has a tendency to the treacle, and in my experience it also often comes with an undercurrent of smugness and superiority. That combination I just have no interest in.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2023, 08:29:52 AM »

And that's the part that makes me shake my head.  Again, it's hard to articulate, but Spielberg has a tendency to the treacle, and in my experience it also often comes with an undercurrent of smugness and superiority. That combination I just have no interest in.

I actually just thought it was boring AF.  I mean, it could've been the head space I was in but I kept waiting for something big to happen.  It was just about a boy discovering his passion and in the midst discovering some things about his dysfunctional family.  It is really nothing earth shattering or anything.  I certainly didn't get smug or superior in any way.

Offline Adami

« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »

I actually just thought it was boring AF.  I mean, it could've been the head space I was in but I kept waiting for something big to happen. It was just about a boy discovering his passion and in the midst discovering some things about his dysfunctional family.  It is really nothing earth shattering or anything.  I certainly didn't get smug or superior in any way.

Haha is it weird that this makes me more excited for it? I love small character movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2023, 08:34:49 AM »

I actually just thought it was boring AF.  I mean, it could've been the head space I was in but I kept waiting for something big to happen. It was just about a boy discovering his passion and in the midst discovering some things about his dysfunctional family.  It is really nothing earth shattering or anything.  I certainly didn't get smug or superior in any way.

Haha is it weird that this makes me more excited for it? I love small character movies.

Yeah - maybe it will click for you in a way it just didn't for me.  I came from a dysfunctional family.  Sometimes I don't need to revisit it, ya know?  LoL.

I think because it was about Speilberg I expected something grander.  That might have been why I felt it was just ok.  I mean, let's face it - the guy brought us ET, Jaws, Poltergeist, Close Encounters, and Saving Private Ryan.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »

Very good film, little slow starting but the second half is great.

Offline Adami

« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2023, 09:05:23 AM »

Very good film, little slow starting but the second half is great.

Yea, heard all good things. Just hard to find the time to dedicate almost 3 hours without interruption. Also I think it's on Peacock but since my subscription has ads, and I feel like ads would hurt this movie considerably, I'm gonna spend the 6 or whatever bucks to rent it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2023, 07:02:53 PM »
Tar was one of my favorites from last year. Especially loved the ending.

I watched "Raymond and Ray" last night, starring Ewan McGregor and Ethan Hawke. Nice to see something filmed here in Richmond that actually takes place in Richmond. I recognized a lot of locations.
That said, the movie was just boring.  :mehlin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2023, 04:43:51 AM »
Annie Hall

I've always loved this movie. Its like he looked into one of my failed relationships from the past and just put it on film.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2023, 07:21:54 AM »
Saw Women Talking yesterday and I REALLY liked it. More than I expected to. It's not the usual chamber piece movie, and it treats the subject matter with great thought, wit, emotion. A lot of my favorite actors are in the film, so that helped.
It was the last of the Best Picture lineup that I had to watch, I can safely say it belongs in my top 3 (along with Banshees and The Fabelmans). Everything Everywhere is bound to win though, which is an exciting change of pace for the academy.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »
Saw Women Talking yesterday and I REALLY liked it. More than I expected to. It's not the usual chamber piece movie, and it treats the subject matter with great thought, wit, emotion. A lot of my favorite actors are in the film, so that helped.
It was the last of the Best Picture lineup that I had to watch, I can safely say it belongs in my top 3 (along with Banshees and The Fabelmans). Everything Everywhere is bound to win though, which is an exciting change of pace for the academy.

We watched this over the weekend and our biggest take from this - yep, literally, women talking.

We weren't that thrilled with it but hey, that's just us.

Offline Adami

« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2023, 09:00:35 PM »
Continuing my Oscars watch, tonight was The Fabelmans.

Didn't get any sense of smug superiority, but who knows.

I really liked it! It was not what I was expecting. It really is a fantastic personal story with nuance, complex issues, and some fantastic acting, even if Michelle Williams could dial it back a bit. The kid who plays Sam is really impressive. Highly recommend but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

As Harmony mentioned, it's not a big grand movie. It's a movie about a guy, his family, and film making. That's it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Volante99

« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2023, 02:18:19 AM »
K19 the Widowmaker.

A bit heavy handed dramatically, but all in all a decent flick. Not as bad as it’s reputation-
was a major box office flop and set back director Kathryn Bigelow’s career for almost a decade until she made a comeback with The Hurt Locker. Harrison Ford’s on and off again Russian accent is a bit goofy too.

Interestingly, it’s unavailable for streaming anywhere in the US and the Blu Ray seems to be out of print. My guess is that Paramount might be sidelining it showcase since it shows the Russian army in a positive light?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2023, 08:36:36 AM »
K19 the Widowmaker.

A bit heavy handed dramatically, but all in all a decent flick. Not as bad as it’s reputation-
was a major box office flop and set back director Kathryn Bigelow’s career for almost a decade until she made a comeback with The Hurt Locker. Harrison Ford’s on and off again Russian accent is a bit goofy too.

Interestingly, it’s unavailable for streaming anywhere in the US and the Blu Ray seems to be out of print. My guess is that Paramount might be sidelining it showcase since it shows the Russian army in a positive light?
I guarantee that has nothing to do with it.

It's probably because no one liked it very much, so they have no compelling interest in putting it out anywhere.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »
Have you seen the trash that’s put on the streaming platforms?

I mean, it’s 2023, I can literally buy “Tammy and the T-Rex” on 4K Ultra High Def

A Paramount Harrison Ford/Liam Neeson title out of print AND unavailable to stream on ANY platform in the US? Highly sus.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2023, 08:46:55 PM »
I saw that the Lord of the Rings movies are on Netflix and decided to re-watch them.  I don't think I've watched them in 10-15 years.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: March 11, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
I saw that the Lord of the Rings movies are on Netflix and decided to re-watch them.  I don't think I've watched them in 10-15 years.

If you get the director's cuts, it might TAKE you 10-15 years to watch them (and that's not a critique; I loved those movies and thought them to be a magnificent piece of art).

Offline Adami

« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2023, 09:10:14 PM »
Finishing up my Oscars watch, tonight was Tar.

Holy crap! What a movie!
fanticide.bandcamp.com