Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50748 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2023, 06:05:12 PM »
I like The Fighter, the Ted movies and Invincible but all the other actors andstories were great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2023, 06:05:48 PM »
Boogie Nights is the only good thing Wahlberg has ever done.

The Departed?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2023, 06:10:20 PM »
I like The Fighter, the Ted movies and Invincible but all the other actors andstories were great.

Don't forget Rock Star  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2023, 06:14:02 PM »
Lol. It's not bad but nothing you look to play. You stop and watch a little when it's on cable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2023, 11:18:41 AM »
Over the last week or so, I got in a Bourne mood, so I rewatched

The Bourne Identity (2002)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Generally excellent spycraft/assassin/intrigue films.  Lots of fun to be had.  Of course, other than the general concept, these books have almost NO plot similarities to the original novels, so they may be the worst adaptations in film history lol.  But the films are actually better IMO than the novels, so that's fine with me.

I also caught John Hamm's recent turn as Irwin Maurice Fletcher in Confess, Fletch (2022).  As a huge fan of the original Gregory McDonald novels, I thought the film was pretty good, and Hamm did a nice job.  They even kind of set up, towards the end, a film adaptation of the book Fletch's Fortune, which would be a lot of fun to see, so hopefully a sequel gets greenlit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #495 on: June 15, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
I love the Bourne movies, at least the first three with Matt Damon.  The one with Renner was okay, but kinda weird how it seemed to half-ass it with not really being about Bourne himself, but just enough to maybe justify it in the name. Then didn't Damon come back for one more?  I think I watched one more, but apparently it wasn't that memorable.

Them first three are great, though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #496 on: June 15, 2023, 12:00:26 PM »
I too love the first 3 Bourne movies, they are fantastic spy thriller intrigue movies. I think MI6 follows that blueprint a bit but with insane stunts. Bourne Legacy had good ideas but was too long and sometimes long winded. The last Bourne was garbage.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #497 on: June 15, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
I love the Bourne movies, at least the first three with Matt Damon.  The one with Renner was okay, but kinda weird how it seemed to half-ass it with not really being about Bourne himself, but just enough to maybe justify it in the name. Then didn't Damon come back for one more?  I think I watched one more, but apparently it wasn't that memorable.

Them first three are great, though.
Haven't seen The Bourne Legacy with Renner yet, and I may not, since it was clearly just a cash grab to try to keep the franchise afloat.

Damon came back to do another one, simply titled Jason Bourne, in 2016, but I haven't seen it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #498 on: June 15, 2023, 08:47:51 PM »
Rewatched the "Three Flavours Cornetto" Trilogy over the last few nights.

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
The World's End

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are classics. The World's End is...fine.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: June 16, 2023, 12:22:31 AM »
Hottest Fuzz is one of the greatest movies ever. Every second of that movie is useful. The dialog through us damn near perfect.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #500 on: June 16, 2023, 01:25:14 AM »
Rewatched the "Three Flavours Cornetto" Trilogy over the last few nights.

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
The World's End

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are classics. The World's End is...fine.

Have you seen the TV show Spaced.  If not, watch it asap.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #501 on: June 16, 2023, 08:43:34 AM »
Hot Fuzz is one of the greatest movies ever. Every second of that movie is useful. The dialog through us damn near perfect.

For a long time, I thought it looked like one of those loony British spoofs, with some funny stuff but mostly pretty dumb.  Someone trying to be the next Monty Python or something, but generally failing.  Then one day I was looking for something to watch and I figured what the hell.

It was amazing!  It was almost the opposite of what I thought it was.  Some funny stuff, but very intelligent.  Odd lines here and there came back to pay off in a big way.  Nothing was as it seemed, no one was as they seemed.

I went back and gave Shaun of the Dead another try, since that one didn't work for me, either, and now that I "understood how to watch it" it was brilliant.

Still haven't seen The World's End yet, though.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2023, 11:46:14 AM »
Hottest Fuzz .

Is that the Director's Cut?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »
Hottest Fuzz is one of the greatest movies ever. Every second of that movie is useful. The dialog through us damn near perfect.

I have given this movie several watches, I think I've seen it at least 5 times, yet I never found it funny. I absolute LOVE Saun of the dead and World's end is great fun but the Fuzz never did anything for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: June 17, 2023, 09:41:36 PM »
Over the last week or so, I got in a Bourne mood, so I rewatched

The Bourne Identity (2002)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Generally excellent spycraft/assassin/intrigue films.  Lots of fun to be had.  Of course, other than the general concept, these books have almost NO plot similarities to the original novels, so they may be the worst adaptations in film history lol.  But the films are actually better IMO than the novels, so that's fine with me.

I remember really liking the first two when they came out, but somehow missed the last one. I had read The Bourne Identity prior to seeing them, but it had been a while so how different it was didn't really register with me.

I also caught John Hamm's recent turn as Irwin Maurice Fletcher in Confess, Fletch (2022).  As a huge fan of the original Gregory McDonald novels, I thought the film was pretty good, and Hamm did a nice job.  They even kind of set up, towards the end, a film adaptation of the book Fletch's Fortune, which would be a lot of fun to see, so hopefully a sequel gets greenlit.

After reading Fletch I started Confess, Fletch, but couldn't get in to it and put it away.

My 5 year old's current favorite movie is Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. She usually doesn't obsess over movies and moves on to the next one pretty quickly. But she's watched this 3 times in the past couple weeks, and spends hours listening to the soundtrack, and knows just about all the lyrics.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2023, 12:45:41 PM »
Avatar, the original one. I'm on DisneyPlus so I can see The Way of the Water, and I wanted to refresh my memory.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! I never saw it again since 2010 or so, and all in all I'd say it's still a quite enjoyable movie, and a marvel for the yes. It also helped that I split it in two, I watched it over the course of two nights so I didn't sit through the entire 3 hours of it, but it's still a great movie. Sure, the story is a bit Pocahontas in space, and while I can understand falling in love with someone with a different skin color, is an alltogether completely different move to fall in love with a species different than yours, when said species even know that you're not actually one of them but you're impersonating them, but details aside.... still a great movie.

Now of course I'm gonna watch the sequel!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
Netflix recommended I watch Funny People - a 2009 Adam Sandler movie.  Not really a Sandler fan, but it had Leslie Mann, so I gave it a shot.  Sandler played himself, but with a terminal illness diagnosis.  After 20 minutes of Sandler, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan NOT being funny people, I turned it off and inexplicably started on another Netflix recommendation.

Actually, Netflix recommended Extraction 2, but I hadn't seen the first one, so....  It was basically a carbon copy of 2008's Rambo.  The biggest drug lord in Bangladesh kidnaps the son of the biggest drug dealer in India, and a mercenary played by Chris Hemsworth is dug out of a beer bottle to rescue him.  Many things blow up and many people die.  I'll probably watch the second one next time I'm in the mood for something mindless.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2023, 11:49:05 AM »
A Man Named Otto - good movie Hanks is quite good as a man who is opinionated and set in his ways/ideals, but you can't help but feel for.

Elemental - The latest from Pixar. Metaphors are a plenty, but what it comes down is a love story I'm still a sucker for.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2023, 12:00:27 PM »
Netflix recommended I watch Funny People - a 2009 Adam Sandler movie.  Not really a Sandler fan, but it had Leslie Mann, so I gave it a shot.  Sandler played himself, but with a terminal illness diagnosis.  After 20 minutes of Sandler, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan NOT being funny people, I turned it off and inexplicably started on another Netflix recommendation.

Actually, Netflix recommended Extraction 2, but I hadn't seen the first one, so....  It was basically a carbon copy of 2008's Rambo.  The biggest drug lord in Bangladesh kidnaps the son of the biggest drug dealer in India, and a mercenary played by Chris Hemsworth is dug out of a beer bottle to rescue him.  Many things blow up and many people die.  I'll probably watch the second one next time I'm in the mood for something mindless.

Funny People is great but it’s not really a comedy. More of a drama about characters who are comedians. Not everyone’s thing, but I really love it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2023, 12:03:34 PM »
Funny People is probably one of Sandler's best films.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #510 on: June 26, 2023, 12:34:25 PM »

So in other words, any of the movies they've been in?   

Sorry, not really a fan of any of those guys.  There was a movie on in the background yesterday while I was doing some work around the house, Adam Sandler played a computer expert and Kevin James played the President.  Except for a couple of throwaway lines, it was excruciating.  And I DO like Kevin James (The King Of Queens is hilarious).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #511 on: June 26, 2023, 02:39:02 PM »

Sorry, not really a fan of any of those guys.  There was a movie on in the background yesterday while I was doing some work around the house, Adam Sandler played a computer expert and Kevin James played the President.  Except for a couple of throwaway lines, it was excruciating.  And I DO like Kevin James (The King Of Queens is hilarious).

Like I said, I'm not really a Sandler fan.  Looks like most of the Jonah Hill stuff I've seen has been animated.  He was great in a limited role in the second Night at the Museum movie.  I've seen very little Seth Rogen stuff.

All that being said, Pixels (the movie to which you referred) was absolutely hilarious.  Completely stupid, but the '80s video game nostalgia was so strong.  Plus, it had Michelle Monaghan looking consistently hot.

And it looks like I went into Funny People with the wrong expectations.  Not sure I'll return to it, but maybe.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2023, 02:46:26 PM »
I prefer Adam Sandler in serious roles. Uncut Gems is excellent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2023, 02:52:57 PM »

Like I said, I'm not really a Sandler fan.  Looks like most of the Jonah Hill stuff I've seen has been animated.  He was great in a limited role in the second Night at the Museum movie.  I've seen very little Seth Rogen stuff.

All that being said, Pixels (the movie to which you referred) was absolutely hilarious.  Completely stupid, but the '80s video game nostalgia was so strong.  Plus, it had Michelle Monaghan looking consistently hot.

And it looks like I went into Funny People with the wrong expectations.  Not sure I'll return to it, but maybe.

THAT'S who that was!  I knew I placed the face but couldn't think of the name.  Agreed, though.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2023, 07:03:13 PM »
Dungeons and Dragons -  I really enjoyed it. It was a fun movie. Pretty simple story and you can guess what’s going to happen in no time…..but, it’s still a fun watch. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #515 on: June 27, 2023, 08:08:59 AM »
I prefer Adam Sandler in serious roles.
I agree with you.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #516 on: June 27, 2023, 08:53:42 AM »
Punch Drunk Love is another great serious Sandler performance

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: June 27, 2023, 09:25:01 AM »
I prefer Adam Sandler in serious roles. Uncut Gems is excellent.

It's a well-made movie, and he gives a good performance in it.  But, it's basically Making Bad Decisions and Yelling a Lot: The Movie, so, I didn't actually enjoy watching it.

I think the only Sandler movie I like is The Wedding Singer.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #518 on: July 05, 2023, 07:26:58 AM »
I think Adam Sandler's sweet spot was Big Daddy. It had just the right balance between seriousness and comedy.   

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #519 on: July 05, 2023, 07:58:58 AM »
I went to see Asteroid City last weekend. I love some of Wes Anderson's movies (Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom), and the cinematography is gorgeous, but this one might be too Wes Anderson for me :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #520 on: July 08, 2023, 06:04:52 AM »
Thanks to Disney+ I've catched up with some movies I never saw before, believe it or not:

- Toy Story saga, all the 4 movies and the Lightyear (pointless) spinoff;
- Cars, all 3 movies, with the 3rd being way better than the second;
- Men in Black. Yeah, "How come you've never seen it", well, I didn't. Good stuff, when movies were still able to told a story without being 2 hours long and a CGI fest  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #521 on: July 08, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »
I enjoyed all four Toy Story movies.  The fourth one was largely unnecessary, since TS3 was such a great ending to the saga, but TS4 was pretty good anyway, so what the heck.

I totally agree about the Cars movies.

Men in Black is great!  I think it was the first movie we saw in the theater after our son was born, and it wasn't until he was maybe 7 or 8 years old.  After watching "kiddie stuff" on TV for so many years, I think I actually forgot how much of an experience it was seeing a movie in an actual cinema.  When the giant Edgar cockroach busted out at the end, I legitimately jumped in my seat and freaked out a little bit.  It was awesome.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2023, 03:38:41 PM »
I dug the first two Toy Story movies.  I didn't like the third one; thought it was overrated.  Never saw the fourth one or the Buzz Lightyear movie.

The first Cars was great.  The second one kinda sucked.  I never saw the third one.  I asked my 21yo son, and he said the third was the best of the bunch.

The first MIB was great too.  I know I saw the second one, but I don't really remember it, and I don't think I've seen whatever they made beyond the second one.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2023, 06:36:24 PM »
I went to go see No Hard Feelings earlier today. Not bad at all, and I'm not just saying that because of Jennifer Lawrence :omg:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2023, 07:14:19 PM »
I saw the new Mission Impossible movie. It opened early here. Loved it and Hayley Atwell is amazing, stunning. If you are a fan of the series then this movie is a must see.