Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 127862 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1715 on: December 14, 2022, 11:12:51 AM »
I kind of answered that above when I pick up food, but I would never use doordash, ever. I'm not going to have some fucking clown bring me my food. What if he smokes? What if he wants to try my fries? Fuck that!

Anyone who ever watches Ridiculousness will NEVER EVER use Door Dash ever again.

Is that a show or a YouTube video about Door Dash?

It's a show on MTV; kind of an adult "America's Funniest Home Videos".  I find it HILARIOUS. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1716 on: December 14, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »
I kind of answered that above when I pick up food, but I would never use doordash, ever. I'm not going to have some fucking clown bring me my food. What if he smokes? What if he wants to try my fries? Fuck that!

Anyone who ever watches Ridiculousness will NEVER EVER use Door Dash ever again.

It's a show on MTV; kind of an adult "America's Funniest Home Videos".  I find it HILARIOUS.

What happened in the episode you mentioned? Someone did something nasty with a food delivery?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: December 14, 2022, 02:29:50 PM »
Appreciate the details and the read on the last page lads.  Fucking fascinating all of this from my end.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1718 on: December 14, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »
In most states, servers get paid minimum wage, and in a few they can be paid 2.13/hr,cant remember which.
I was under the impression that $2.13/hour was standard almost everywhere here in the U.S.

I tip 20% minimum as long as the service doesn't absolutely suck, and how the food turns out doesn't factor into my tip at all.  I'm not tipping the cook, I'm tipping the server.

Hell, I tipped my dog groomer 20% today.  They earn it, my dog can be an asshole lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: December 14, 2022, 03:10:08 PM »
I guess looking at a $2.13/ hour wage, I can understand the tipping lol.  Now I'm informed, you would feel like a dick not doing it.  I've heard from people that have been to the US that meals are a lot cheaper and bigger than they are here so would probably balance out in the end anyway.  I'm guessing you would always count a tip as part of the cost of the meal from a budgeting perspective, if that makes sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1720 on: December 14, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »
Agreed.  It literally makes no sense for someone to blame the server if there is an issue with the food (unless the server rang it in wrong), but I suspect most people who would do that (generally speaking, not trying to call out anyone here, honestly) are just looking for any reason to tip less or not at all.

Is this me?  ;D

No, I made a point to say the "generally speaking..." part, because I did not want you or anyone to think I was calling them out specifically, regardless of whether it applied or not. :P

So you don't ask the waitress to fix your order?  The stories my wife told me bringing plates back and the fights with the cooks to get the order right happens a lot.  That's why I don't blame them.  Now if the waitress does not help, they get a bad tip.

There is always the possibility that the server rang something in wrong, but if that happens and they apologize, all good with me.  Mistakes happen.

One note about that is if something goes wrong AND the server or bartender is one of those people that never writes anything down, I am probably going to assume it was their fault, not the cook's.  I get that some think they can remember everything, but writing stuff down is safer.  I worked with a guy eons ago who could literally take an entire order of food and drinks from an 8-top, never write anything down, and then still remember it all when he went to ring it in, but I feel that's a dangerous road.  It's like in my current workplace.  If someone does not take notes when being trained, I assume they will not last long (and they never do).

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: December 14, 2022, 04:46:13 PM »

Australia is a nation divided over tipping. In the US the rule is to add 15% to 20% to the bill. In the UK many restaurants add a 12.5% service charge – and if not, people normally tip about 10% unless the service was bad. Here in Australia the rules are there are no rules.

My sources in Australia’s upper-tier restaurants anecdotally report that more than half of customers tip. But what about in cafes or less high-end restaurants? Or for takeaway food? The most operators at the lower end of the spectrum can expect is pocket change or the bill rounded up a couple of dollars.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/australia-food-blog/2015/aug/26/tipping-in-australia-what-are-the-rules-for-rewarding-waiters

Even that is overstating the level of tipping in Australia................outside of very high end it's basically something you might do if you were shocked at the service and wanted to GIFT the server.  It's not in the slightest viewed as paying them for the basic job they are doing .  If I surveyed a random group of 100 Aussies my guess would be 90+ would not have tipped in their life.  As Kade said everything is so expensive out here (even before the latest inflation) and people get paid what they get paid - which is also quite good in most service industries.  It's actually the service businesses who struggle out here as they are paying double rates on Sundays/public holidays etc....

So yeah.....it would be a huge culture shock travelling to America and having people holding their hand out for a tip for basic service.  The bit in Crocodile Dundee where the porter holds his hand out and Croc  "gives him 5" is very accurate  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1722 on: December 14, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »
I will absolutely pay more for a bartender that knows to put the orange on my Blue Moon without me asking.  Or that knows I might want a lime with my Tito's, soda and splash of ginger ale (or, for that matter, knows how much a "splash" is).

Goddamn, why don't you just go to the fruit stand to order your drinks?  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1723 on: December 14, 2022, 08:20:09 PM »
All this talk of waiting tables is giving me flashbacks, and not the good kind.  I served tables for two and a half years while I was in therapy school, and while it was a good job for the instant cash on hand, I hope to God I never have to do something like that again.  Being at the complete mercy of the general whim of the public for your money isn't fun.  The wage mentioned earlier was correct in my case when I lived in Utah, $2.13/hr, and any check that I had past the one I earned during training was a whopping $0 thanks to tips being taxed against that wage.  And the mention of tips being deducted from at the end of the night was also my case - total sales for the shift had 3% taken from servers (bartender, bussers, and hosts all took 1% for each role).  So yes, stiffing a server is actually costing them money for their time in the case that they make that wage.

Worst case I can relay was one morning when I was paired with the slowest, dullest fucking server in the restaurant to take care of a bridal party of 25-30 people, pretty much from the start of my shift.  These assholes ran me ragged across the restaurant for my entire shift, to the point I couldn't take any other tables while they loitered there for hours. Being the people pleaser I am, I did my damnedest to make sure they were taken care of.  My manager offered to add gratuity to their bill, and they swore up and down that they would "take care of us."  When all was said and done, they racked up a total bill of several hundred dollars, and in the end tipped my serving partner and me $12.  To split.  I think my half of the total sales for the table was over $300, so after the other staff got their 3% share, I lost money over that entire morning since I had to give up at least $9 of that table.  That was 15+ years ago and I'm still fucking livid and bitter thinking about it. Haha

Now here in Oregon (and Washington too, I think.  Maybe even California, though I could be wrong), servers actually make the minimum wage here of I think $15/hr, maybe more.  So I'm less inclined to tip quite as much, but I still try to be generous (and understanding) based on my serving experience.  Probably some of the most chaotic work I've done.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1724 on: December 15, 2022, 02:09:51 AM »
I'm against tipping on general principle, but since the alternatives in the US are the waiting staff getting screwed over, I'll do it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: December 15, 2022, 03:01:16 AM »

Australia is a nation divided over tipping. In the US the rule is to add 15% to 20% to the bill. In the UK many restaurants add a 12.5% service charge – and if not, people normally tip about 10% unless the service was bad. Here in Australia the rules are there are no rules.

My sources in Australia’s upper-tier restaurants anecdotally report that more than half of customers tip. But what about in cafes or less high-end restaurants? Or for takeaway food? The most operators at the lower end of the spectrum can expect is pocket change or the bill rounded up a couple of dollars.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/australia-food-blog/2015/aug/26/tipping-in-australia-what-are-the-rules-for-rewarding-waiters

Even that is overstating the level of tipping in Australia................outside of very high end it's basically something you might do if you were shocked at the service and wanted to GIFT the server.  It's not in the slightest viewed as paying them for the basic job they are doing .  If I surveyed a random group of 100 Aussies my guess would be 90+ would not have tipped in their life.  As Kade said everything is so expensive out here (even before the latest inflation) and people get paid what they get paid - which is also quite good in most service industries.  It's actually the service businesses who struggle out here as they are paying double rates on Sundays/public holidays etc....

So yeah.....it would be a huge culture shock travelling to America and having people holding their hand out for a tip for basic service.  The bit in Crocodile Dundee where the porter holds his hand out and Croc  "gives him 5" is very accurate  :lol

Yeah, I thought immediately those stats were bullshit.  You're so damned right it's the businesses over here that feel the heat over the employees.  Employees seem to keep getting better and better deals.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: December 15, 2022, 07:37:49 AM »

What happened in the episode you mentioned? Someone did something nasty with a food delivery?

There's been a couple; one a person reached in and ate some fries. Another, the person took a sip from the drink.   One, the delivery person was scratching their ass then handed the food to the person who ordered...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1727 on: December 15, 2022, 07:38:46 AM »

There's been a couple; one a person reached in and ate some fries. Another, the person took a sip from the drink.   One, the delivery person was scratching their ass then handed the food to the person who ordered...

You might want to stay out of actual restaurants too  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: December 15, 2022, 07:39:28 AM »
I will absolutely pay more for a bartender that knows to put the orange on my Blue Moon without me asking.  Or that knows I might want a lime with my Tito's, soda and splash of ginger ale (or, for that matter, knows how much a "splash" is).

HAHAHA.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1729 on: December 15, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »

Beer plebeians like you make me chuckle. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1730 on: December 17, 2022, 06:11:04 PM »
In the latest chapter of it sucks to get older...

I woke up at 5 am this morning with major pain in my left calf.  Pretty sure it's not a charley horse because I used to get those on occasion and they would go away instantly the second I stood up. Standing up did nada for this.  It has felt sore all day, like I have a calf strain.  Same thing happened a few months ago and the soreness went away after a few days.  Not sure what the cause was, but it ruined one of my two nights of sleep on a non-work night.  :censored :censored

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1731 on: December 17, 2022, 06:24:03 PM »
Was it a cramp?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1732 on: December 17, 2022, 06:50:55 PM »
Hard to say.  Does a cramp in your calf usually feel a little sore for a few days?  I honestly do not know. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1733 on: December 17, 2022, 06:54:01 PM »
Hard to say.  Does a cramp in your calf usually feel a little sore for a few days?  I honestly do not know.

I would definitely mention it to your doctor. Are you drinking enough water...maybe some dehydration?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1734 on: December 17, 2022, 06:55:36 PM »

I would definitely mention it to your doctor. Are you drinking enough water...maybe some dehydration?

That is possible. I tend to drink a lot of water early in the day, but not as much later in the day. Not sure why that is, but it's my routine I guess.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1735 on: December 17, 2022, 07:09:44 PM »

I woke up at 5 am this morning with major pain in my left calf.  Pretty sure it's not a charley horse because I used to get those on occasion and they would go away instantly the second I stood up. Standing up did nada for this.  It has felt sore all day, like I have a calf strain.  Same thing happened a few months ago and the soreness went away after a few days.  Not sure what the cause was, but it ruined one of my two nights of sleep on a non-work night.  :censored :censored
Heavy bedding during Winter. A heavy comforter or the like will pull your feet down and cause leg cramps. A nasty one can certainly leave you sore for a while.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1736 on: December 17, 2022, 07:52:23 PM »

Heavy bedding during Winter. A heavy comforter or the like will pull your feet down and cause leg cramps. A nasty one can certainly leave you sore for a while.

Hmmm, I didn't think about that.  The extra blanket I use in the winter (which is a bit heavy, yes) was more towards the end of the bed this morning, meaning it was covering the bottom part of me rather than all of me like normal, so that could be it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: December 17, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »
Sucks getting old and not knowing why body parts hurt.

https://youtu.be/ryDdPHyqsbs
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1738 on: December 17, 2022, 08:11:44 PM »
Sucks getting old and not knowing why body parts hurt.

https://youtu.be/ryDdPHyqsbs

That's funny.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: December 17, 2022, 08:19:40 PM »
I love Brian Regan. He's so damn funny with his observations.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1740 on: December 17, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »

That was the first clip I've ever watched of his. I'll check out more.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1741 on: December 17, 2022, 08:25:30 PM »

That was the first clip I've ever watched of his. I'll check out more.

This was the first clip I ever saw of Regan.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOvW9xH9nrY
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: December 17, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »
Chad.  I've seen him 11 times live and saw him late in the 80's.  Him and Richard Jeni was my vo to back in the day.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1743 on: December 17, 2022, 08:52:50 PM »
Chad.  I've seen him 11 times live and saw him late in the 80's.  Him and Richard Jeni was my vo to back in the day.

Loved Richard Jeni!!!  Platypus Man is one of the best HBO Comedy specials ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: December 17, 2022, 09:35:27 PM »
I still have it on VCS tape. If only I have a VRC!  LOL

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1745 on: December 17, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »
It's called a VCR.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: December 17, 2022, 09:38:38 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1747 on: December 17, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: December 17, 2022, 09:50:58 PM »
If only. F'ing sober on a Saturday night.   

WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1749 on: December 17, 2022, 09:56:39 PM »
I still have it on VCS tape. If only I have a VRC!  LOL

I think King did a bit too much LDS at Berkeley.

That was me actually... And it was mushrooms, not acid.