Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 115969 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1645 on: December 13, 2022, 02:49:28 PM »
I hate splitting tabs evenly. I went to a brunch with four girls recently. I had nothing to drink and they had 14-16 drinks between them. I had a water and one coffee with my breakfast. The bill comes, one girl puts it on her card, and she then proceeds to send us all Venmo requests for $80.

I was fucking livid, but given the context of the situation, I just kept my mouth shut and paid it. But I was low-key pissed the rest of the day. Not so much at the fact that I had to pay $80 for $17 worth of breakfast, but more so that there were four other individuals there and not one thought to themselves "Brian didn't have anything to do with the $200 worth of boos that came to the table, let's not make him pay for any of that".

I would have flat out refused to pay that amount.

You would've told em all to GAGF and you would now have no fiancee and a much less expensive rest of your life  :lol

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: December 13, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
What the hell kind of breakfast sees people having 3-4 drinks each?

The good kind.

:lol I'm not much of a day drinker, but it's quite common for brunches to include lots of drinks if that's the thing you are into.  Mimosas and bloody marys.  I've never done an all you can eat/drink brunch that is common around here.

I don't go out to brunch often but when I do 3 drinks is usually the minimum. That said I prefer to do my drinking at night versus the day.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1647 on: December 13, 2022, 04:02:34 PM »

The breakfasts of Hoda and Kathy Lee fans.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1648 on: December 13, 2022, 05:34:21 PM »

The good kind.

:lol I'm not much of a day drinker, but it's quite common for brunches to include lots of drinks if that's the thing you are into.  Mimosas and bloody marys.  I've never done an all you can eat/drink brunch that is common around here.

I don't go out to brunch often but when I do 3 drinks is usually the minimum. That said I prefer to do my drinking at night versus the day.

Same here...about the night drinking. I've never been to an official brunch before. If the drinks were free then I'd most likely do it but I don't think I could drink alcohol with any breakfasty-type of food.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: December 13, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
"Brian didn't have anything to do with the $200 worth of boos that came to the table...

My fiance took my side...

Enjoy it while it lasts...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1650 on: December 13, 2022, 06:41:53 PM »
The problem with that too is what if the person paying the bill in full and then expecting everyone to reimburse them evenly is a shitty tipper.  I would rather pay my own if for no other reason than to make sure the server gets a good tip on my end.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1651 on: December 13, 2022, 06:49:20 PM »
The problem with that too is what if the person paying the bill in full and then expecting everyone to reimburse them evenly is a shitty tipper.  I would rather pay my own if for no other reason than to make sure the server gets a good tip on my end.

I'd be the opposite and make sure the tip isn't too big. I'm not overtipping because of someone else's views on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1652 on: December 13, 2022, 07:48:21 PM »

I'd be the opposite and make sure the tip isn't too big. I'm not overtipping because of someone else's views on it.
Christmas avatars confuse me. I always recognize people by their avatars so I don't like change. I read this post in Joe's voice and thought it was a little odd. Doesn't seem like he'd be bothered by a girl getting a little extra tip. Then I looked again and saw that it was you and it made perfect sense.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1653 on: December 13, 2022, 07:50:50 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1654 on: December 13, 2022, 07:53:29 PM »
I'm a 20% tipper. Tim is cold nickels from 1928.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1655 on: December 13, 2022, 07:56:39 PM »

20% is fucking crazy!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: December 13, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »

20% is fucking crazy!

Pretty normal for me and most I know for decent service.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1657 on: December 13, 2022, 08:28:12 PM »

20% is fucking crazy!

Somehow the service industry has guilted people from 15% to now 20%...Why?

To me, decent service is the minimum standard to expect.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1658 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:35 PM »

20% is fucking crazy!

Somehow the service industry has guilted people from 15% to now 20%...Why?

To me, decent service is the minimum standard to expect.

If only it was the minimum standard to pay.  Dude, accept that North America is a tipping society for some industries jobs, and just get with the program.  You don't always have to be *that* guy.  :)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1659 on: December 13, 2022, 08:34:35 PM »
I'm not really "that" guy. When we go out to eat, I'll leave a tip. But it WILL be based on how I feel we were served. I'll tip generously if the service exceeds my expectations.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: December 13, 2022, 08:37:45 PM »
I'm not really "that" guy. When we go out to eat, I'll leave a tip. But it WILL be based on how I feel we were served. I'll tip generously if the service exceeds my expectations.

Ok, that's fair then.  You made it seem like that was not the case.  15% is the standard - you gotta give me some pretty shitty service to get less than that.  I will also tip accordingly for better than average service.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1661 on: December 13, 2022, 08:40:27 PM »

Ok, that's fair then.  You made it seem like that was not the case.  15% is the standard - you gotta give me some pretty shitty service to get less than that.  I will also tip accordingly for better than average service.

I'll give you two examples when I don't tip though. If I order a pizza and go pick it up, the slip always has a line for a tip. I always draw a line through it and circle the price.

If I go to a wedding and order a beer, sorry, I'm not tipping for someone pulling a lever or flicking a bottle cap.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1662 on: December 13, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »

Do you guys tip when you order food for pickup? If I use their own website for pickup, I don't tip. But if I use DoorDash or whatever, then I tip.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1663 on: December 13, 2022, 08:43:10 PM »
I kind of answered that above when I pick up food, but I would never use doordash, ever. I'm not going to have some fucking clown bring me my food. What if he smokes? What if he wants to try my fries? Fuck that!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: December 13, 2022, 08:45:46 PM »

I'll give you two examples when I don't tip though. If I order a pizza and go pick it up, the slip always has a line for a tip. I always draw a line through it and circle the price.

If I go to a wedding and order a beer, sorry, I'm not tipping for someone pulling a lever or flicking a bottle cap.

I'm with you on pickup.  Especially when I order online, and the restaurant literally has no 'cost' to take my order.  Although, there is a family owned pizza place around the corner I frequent, and they haven't raised their prices in years (despite I'm sure their costs having increased).  I've started tipping them a bit the past few times I've been there.  DoorDash, Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes  ... never once used those services.

I'll drop a buck in the jar at a wedding, especially if it's an open bar.  Shit man, if I'm paying $1 for a beer, that's a good night.  Or sometimes I'll drop a 5 in there for my first drink, and call it even for the rest of the night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1665 on: December 13, 2022, 08:47:55 PM »
Nothing to do with tipping, but there's two pizza places we order from in town. The thing is, you simply cannot count on a consistent product. One time it's saucey, the next time dry, the next time overcooked. It's fucking aggravating.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1666 on: December 13, 2022, 08:54:21 PM »
Exactly what I figured, and why I was initially puzzled before it all became so clear.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1667 on: December 13, 2022, 08:59:55 PM »

Do you guys tip when you order food for pickup? If I use their own website for pickup, I don't tip. But if I use DoorDash or whatever, then I tip.
I posed this question a few years back and it really set some people off. I think we mostly decided that it depends on the type of place that it is. If it's pizza or Chinese then they're predominantly a carry-out business. I don't feel the need to tip them. If it's a proper restaurant then somebody is having to prepare your order to go and you're taking them away from their main job. Often times it's a hostess, who doesn't get tipped anyway, or a bartender who's got their own customers to take care of. Pulling a bartender away for a few minutes to get your stuff together could cost them their own tips. They always get a tip from me.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1668 on: December 13, 2022, 09:04:50 PM »
I am going to resist the urge to say too much on this since I used to tend bar, but I am pretty sure I know which DTFers would have gotten short pours on mixed drinks from me and which ones would have gotten a nice healthy pour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: December 13, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
The tipping talk comes up fairly often around here  :lol which surprises me that Tim is shocked people tip 20% when we've had this conversation many times before

But for me, that's for sit down service, not take out.  Take out does depend as mentioned.  Also tipping for drinks is dependent on drink and circumstances. But usually a dollar a drink is my standard.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1670 on: December 13, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »
I kind of answered that above when I pick up food, but I would never use doordash, ever. I'm not going to have some fucking clown bring me my food. What if he smokes? What if he wants to try my fries? Fuck that!

The food bag is sealed depending on where it's ordered from. I used to use those services a lot because we cannot use our phones while working. So we have to have someone else do our job (before official break time) while making the call to order. But these days with all the extra fees, I'd rather go hungry than use DoorDash.

I posed this question a few years back and it really set some people off. I think we mostly decided that it depends on the type of place that it is. If it's pizza or Chinese then they're predominantly a carry-out business. I don't feel the need to tip them. If it's a proper restaurant then somebody is having to prepare your order to go and you're taking them away from their main job. Often times it's a hostess, who doesn't get tipped anyway, or a bartender who's got their own customers to take care of. Pulling a bartender away for a few minutes to get your stuff together could cost them their own tips. They always get a tip from me.

Yeah if I'm eating at a restaurant I will tip above and beyond as long as the service is consistently good. I asked this question because some of the places I order from their own site have a tip section for pick up with percentages and No Tip and I feel lilke a bit of a douche when I select the No Tip option. But goddamnt I'm just ordering the food and picking it up myself on my paltry 30-minute lunch break. I gots to eat and I got fiiiiive kids to feed.

I am going to resist the urge to say too much on this since I used to tend bar, but I am pretty sure I know which DTFers would have gotten short pours on mixed drinks from me and which ones would have gotten a nice healthy pour.

I do not go to bars but if I did, I would tip well because bartenders are making and serving the drinks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: December 13, 2022, 10:08:30 PM »
I do not go to bars but if I did, I would tip well because bartenders are making and serving the drinks.

In other words... their job?  :laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1672 on: December 13, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »

In other words... their job?  :laugh:

Let us say I follow Albert's Path when it cums to dis shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0ZvY2usbY

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: December 13, 2022, 11:16:35 PM »
Wow I did not expect this conversation to go that direction. But yes, we should always abide by the wisdom of Albert Rosenfeld.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1674 on: December 13, 2022, 11:26:01 PM »
Wow I did not expect this conversation to go that direction. But yes, we should always abide by the wisdom of Albert Rosenfeld.

I was going to give a serious reply about how I think it's fucked up that Herrick has to tip people for doing their jobs and I'm more of a TAC-mang but it is what is, butt then I saw your Avatar and decided to reply the way I did.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: December 13, 2022, 11:33:42 PM »
HA! I legit forgot what my avatar was!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1676 on: December 13, 2022, 11:51:51 PM »
HA! I legit forgot what my avatar was!

How could you?  :o

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: December 14, 2022, 12:07:29 AM »
I just didn't connect your link with my avatar. Mental lapse.

On topic, I worked at a wedding venue years ago. Some days we'd rake in the tips tending bar. Others we'd barely have enough for a Big Gulp at the end of the night. Couldn't attribute the discrepancy to anything (party size, age/demographics of guests...) just seemed totally random. And the staff didn't always agree on the tip jar. Some of us thought it was tacky, others were not so concerned. The best nights were when the bridal party would say to us "hey, put the tip jar away and we'll take care of you at the end of the night."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: December 14, 2022, 02:44:19 AM »

That's ridiculous.

I wouldn't last over there, my tip would be 0%.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: December 14, 2022, 02:48:29 AM »

20% is fucking crazy!

1/5 of the bill?!  Really!?  I guess it's a me thing, we don't really tip over here.  I just find that crazy giving people tips when they are just doing their job that they are getting paid for.