Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 115531 times)

ReaperKK and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1855 on: January 18, 2023, 08:23:22 AM »
Also, animals hunt us over here, not the other way around.

:lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1856 on: January 18, 2023, 08:31:33 AM »

I heard you guys have drop-bears down there. Scary stuff!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1857 on: January 18, 2023, 09:09:42 AM »
What's a drop-bear?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1858 on: January 18, 2023, 09:12:05 AM »
Carnivorous Koalas.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1859 on: January 18, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »

Yakov Smirnoff is that you? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1860 on: January 18, 2023, 09:35:58 AM »

America loves Smirnov.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1861 on: January 18, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1862 on: January 18, 2023, 11:32:51 AM »
How much can you grow in an 800 square foot apartment on the 18th floor in San Fran?

Ben, it's the 21st Century.  7 BILLION people cannot self sustain themselves with their own crops, and their own water supply, their own electricity and heating, make their own clothes, et cetera et cetera.  Humanity and society long outgrew the model where each person/family unit was wholly responsible for the entirety of their existence.

Also, not everything relates back to colonization.

Then humans will have to learn the consequences for not being self-sustaining and developing these things.

Have you heard the Pain of Salvation album "BE"? The song "Nihil Morari" has a great lyric;
"You think we have developed fast; that we're civilized and intelligent
I'll let you in on a secret: we have developed Things!
The rest is simply knowledge passed on
Hell, 99% of humanity couldn't put together a simple light bulb if you put a gun to their heads!
And the intellect rubs up on fear"

"Humanity" thinks it outgrew and is evolving the species. Humanity is in quotes because not all of humanity thinks that the "accomplishments" of the 21st century were beneficial for the overall sustainability of humanities future. Many considered what consequences these "accomplishments" would have on humanity, yet they were ignored.

Nihil Morari is about what I am mentioning here. The entire album of "BE"  goes way, way deeper than just being a concept album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: January 18, 2023, 11:34:14 AM »
Chad hates POS.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1864 on: January 18, 2023, 11:35:58 AM »

Nihil Morari is about what I am mentioning here.

Haven't seen him around here in ages.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1865 on: January 18, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
Well, if we talk about effects and consequences. When we rely on others for things that we could be relying on ourselves for, then you face the consequences of the effects of mass production. Which means the consumers of those mass produced products will pay the price.

The way chickens are farmed for mass production, it doesn't surprise me one bit they're all dying from bird flu. These are the type of things I am saying will continue to occur when all these resources reach their limits, when human desire and greed depletes the resources. What will humans do to survive when the well runs dry?

From some of the humans I deal with daily probably become cannibals and turn on each other.

And why would they resort to that, rather than resort to doing what many cultures were already doing by planting, foraging, and hunting for food?

Could it be because humans have become reliant on having things done for them?

:lol I was just making a joke about some of the inbred, unintelligent and drug fucked zombie like dregs I see daily.  Ben, some people are lucky to know which part of the drive thru box to speak into to place their order in let alone grow their own food.

Exactly, because most of modern humanity doesn't have basic survival skills anymore. You could argue Humanity as a whole, hasn't evolved, we devolved to become even more susceptible to death.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1866 on: January 18, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
Chad hates POS.   :lol

I can see why now.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1867 on: January 18, 2023, 11:56:37 AM »
To be fair, Pain of Salvation is dreadful, so hating them seems fairly logical.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1868 on: January 18, 2023, 12:06:43 PM »
Oh, dems fightin' words.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1869 on: January 18, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »
Not sure why we're talking about Pain of Salvation but they're amazing and anyone who disagrees is a doody head.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: January 18, 2023, 12:14:51 PM »
LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED BEN!! :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1871 on: January 18, 2023, 12:26:25 PM »
Ben, it's the 21st Century. 7 8 BILLION people cannot self sustain themselves with their own crops, and their own water supply, their own electricity and heating, make their own clothes, et cetera et cetera.

FTFY
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: January 18, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »

I heard you guys have drop-bears down there. Scary stuff!

You never know when they are gonna fall from the trees.   :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: January 18, 2023, 02:35:32 PM »
Well, if we talk about effects and consequences. When we rely on others for things that we could be relying on ourselves for, then you face the consequences of the effects of mass production. Which means the consumers of those mass produced products will pay the price.

The way chickens are farmed for mass production, it doesn't surprise me one bit they're all dying from bird flu. These are the type of things I am saying will continue to occur when all these resources reach their limits, when human desire and greed depletes the resources. What will humans do to survive when the well runs dry?

From some of the humans I deal with daily probably become cannibals and turn on each other.

And why would they resort to that, rather than resort to doing what many cultures were already doing by planting, foraging, and hunting for food?

:lol I was just making a joke about some of the inbred, unintelligent and drug fucked zombie like dregs I see daily.  Ben, some people are lucky to know which part of the drive thru box to speak into to place their order in let alone grow their own food.

Exactly, because most of modern humanity doesn't have basic survival skills anymore. You could argue Humanity as a whole, hasn't evolved, we devolved to become even more susceptible to death.

I actually won't argue with that.  But maybe I'm naive, or I just don't give a fuck, but is humanity really going to devolve that much that the entire human race is going to have to hunt for food and grow their own vegetables.........seems unlikely.

BE is an amazing album too.  What an experience.  Gildenlow does have a pretty on point view.  I was listening to Scarsick yesterday and even lyrics in some of the songs on that one seem more relevant today than when it came out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: January 18, 2023, 02:37:13 PM »

I have no idea who this was so I googled.  I still have no idea who this is.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: January 18, 2023, 02:44:23 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1876 on: January 18, 2023, 02:51:24 PM »
Ben, it's the 21st Century. 7 8 BILLION people cannot self sustain themselves with their own crops, and their own water supply, their own electricity and heating, make their own clothes, et cetera et cetera.

FTFY

Oh yeah, right.  I'd heard we passed that threshold late last year - despite China's population actually decreasing in 2022!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1877 on: January 19, 2023, 07:16:55 AM »
Oh, dems fightin' words.

Take it to P/R, please. 

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: January 19, 2023, 07:20:37 AM »

There's a middle ground, though.   I don't have to grow cattle or tend chickens.  But where I live, it's just as close to a local farm that does than it is to go to Walmart.  People are just lazy, that's all (and yes, it's lazy.  I get we're basing all this on the small sector of people that work three jobs and are single parents, but even then, it's just as easy to go to your local farm and get supplies than it is to go to Walmart and do the same thing). 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1879 on: January 19, 2023, 08:25:22 AM »
Local farms in CT probably couldn't handle even 1% of Connecticut's egg demand though. If every person in the state woke up no longer lazy, there's no way local farms could sustain any significant portion of our state's population, and we're a small one.

Cost is probably a factor too. A pound of beef from a farm in Goshen, Litchfield, or Bethlehem will cost you at least double what Walmart would charge you. Thinking about Waterbury, where I live, the closest local farm I could get eggs from is about 15 minutes away, and they have like 3 things on my shopping list, tops. It's far more cost effective, and certainly not lazy, to just just get your eggs at Walmart instead. Once you factor in time and the cost of gas, there's no sense in going out to Bumblefuck just for eggs and whatever few veggies are in season. 

There's middle ground for us with our living arrangement, sure. But what middle ground is there for the 1.7M people that live in Manhattan?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:31:01 AM by Chino »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1880 on: January 19, 2023, 08:29:02 AM »
Three words to summarize a lot of this ... economies of scale.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1881 on: January 19, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »
Oh, dems fightin' words.

Take it to P/R, please. 

:) :) :) :) :)

The Pain of Salvation is/Really excellent forum?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1882 on: January 19, 2023, 08:36:12 AM »
There's just a whole lot wrong with this. If we all have to spend our time hunting for meat and growing our own veggies who's going to be left to manufacture 84" OLED TVs to hang on our walls? People will naturally have to specialize and we'll work out a barter system, so I can produce eggs in exchange for the other things I might need. In other words, exactly what happened 5000 years ago. We've been down this path before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: January 19, 2023, 08:41:53 AM »
There's just a whole lot wrong with this. If we all have to spend our time hunting for meat and growing our own veggies who's going to be left to manufacture 84" OLED TVs to hang on our walls? People will naturally have to specialize and we'll work out a barter system, so I can produce eggs in exchange for the other things I might need. In other words, exactly what happened 5000 years ago. We've been down this path before.

Yeah, I'm really confused with this conversation.  If we went back to the stone age, people would still specialize.  Every family wouldn't fend for themselves alone.  I'd imagine everyone would have to be useful in something to contribute to the group.  Maybe the biggest difference would be that the people who don't contribute (lazy), don't get to stick around.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: January 19, 2023, 08:55:08 AM »
Local farms in CT probably couldn't handle even 1% of Connecticut's egg demand though. If every person in the state woke up no longer lazy, there's no way local farms could sustain any significant portion of our state's population, and we're a small one.

Cost is probably a factor too. A pound of beef from a farm in Goshen, Litchfield, or Bethlehem will cost you at least double what Walmart would charge you. Thinking about Waterbury, where I live, the closest local farm I could get eggs from is about 15 minutes away, and they have like 3 things on my shopping list, tops. It's far more cost effective, and certainly not lazy, to just just get your eggs at Walmart instead. Once you factor in time and the cost of gas, there's no sense in going out to Bumblefuck just for eggs and whatever few veggies are in season. 

There's middle ground for us with our living arrangement, sure. But what middle ground is there for the 1.7M people that live in Manhattan?

it's fair for you to call me out here. I was sort of thinking in my head about a sort of specific line of debate; I mentioned "Walmart" but was also thinking "McDonald's".  You're of course correct in most of what you're saying there, particularly about cost and volume.   I do think, though, that on the whole we are an "easy way out" society.  We'd much rather buy something in a box, pouch or container than out of the ground.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: January 19, 2023, 08:57:27 AM »

Yeah, I'm really confused with this conversation.  If we went back to the stone age, people would still specialize.  Every family wouldn't fend for themselves alone.  I'd imagine everyone would have to be useful in something to contribute to the group.  Maybe the biggest difference would be that the people who don't contribute (lazy), don't get to stick around.

For the record, I'm not suggesting we go back to the Stone Age, and I'm fully on board with El Barto (and in fact, I go further than him; we - Americans - shouldn't be building TV's either. We should be in education, medicine and technology and let other countries do the heavy lift for our entertainment needs).  I just think there are little things that we can do as individuals that we don't do because we're, at essence, lazy.  Or maybe a better word is "pacified".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:34:40 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1886 on: January 19, 2023, 09:10:04 AM »
Two things for today:

I'm in DC for an annual industry conference.  I've been to enough of these that there's virtually nothing being presented that I don't already know, and I'm not big into the schmoozing part of it (I'm a schmoozee), so I skipped the late morning session.  Anyway...I CANNOT stand when the people putting these things on cannot stick to the schedule.  The first thing on the schedule is "introductory remarks," followed by someone getting the Milton J. Schmeckerton Award (or whatever it's called).  Between the people fellating the guy who got the award and said guy blathering about all the people he needed to think, we were already 10 minutes behind schedule.  Get a damn watch, people!

Thing #2 is the placement of the toilet paper in the hotel room bathroom.  I basically had to dislocate my shoulder to reach it.  WTF?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1887 on: January 19, 2023, 01:20:44 PM »

There's a middle ground, though.   I don't have to grow cattle or tend chickens.  But where I live, it's just as close to a local farm that does than it is to go to Walmart.  People are just lazy, that's all (and yes, it's lazy.  I get we're basing all this on the small sector of people that work three jobs and are single parents, but even then, it's just as easy to go to your local farm and get supplies than it is to go to Walmart and do the same thing).

I think it's also convenience besides just laziness. It's exactly why we have apps now such as Door Dash and Uber Eats, people have become more "lazy" because of conveniences such as these, It's easier to do this and it's less work to do this. Yet, people get upset when their food doesn't get delivered or it's cold, and I am there like "Well Duh." If you don't want your food stolen or you want your food fresh and hot, then come into the store and order there. But since your too lazy and it's convenient to just have it delivered to you, than that's the risk you take when utilizing the services of Door Dash and Uber Eats, not to mention the fees for delivering your food, which is hilarious when people use it just to order fries.

They could, if more people went out and worked for that farm. But then as I said, the human demand for Eggs far outweighs the supply that Chickens are capable of giving. This is where the concept of Greed comes into play, how much do humans desire eggs, to the point of doing things to these Chickens just to satisfy the human desire for eggs as food.

The basis of a farmers market is the gathering of many farmers to present their produce and see if anyone wants any. WE grew squash and my father goes out to farmers markets to get food, he met and asked people there who are willing to barter squash for something, even eggs. This made me realize that without money, we would just go back to basic bartering system we Indigenous Peoples of America had in place long before the arrival of the European Colonists and their concept of "Money". This is what I find fascinating is how we didn't necessarily have a money system, our system was based on bartering, and we bartered many things that we couldn't find around our environment. When we traveled, we would also trade for things we could only get there and would only enjoy it there because it would spoil or go bad by the time one would return home. There was no worry or need for the concept of "costs". The only value was whether a person desires that squash or desires something else for whatever product you desire. The more a person desires something, the more they are willing to offer/pay/trade.

Mississippian Indians Travel and Trade
The Mississippian Culture: The Lost American Civilization (Documentary)
Original Indigenous Economies | The Renewing Indigenous Economies Project

That's my point and the point of what Daniel says in the song "Nihil Morari". There was always specialists throughout human history. There were those who knew how to pot, how to sew, how to blacksmith, how to heal. But, are there people who know how to build themselves an 84" OLED TV from scratch on their own?

What involves making a Television Set? In order to gather these materials and labor, they had to build factories and get people to work in those manufacturing factories. What occurred was Urbanization and the formation of cities. Cities and towns were formed based on the factory alone, same thing goes for the mining towns. For humans to enjoy TV's, all this had to happen first, and all these things utilize resources from the Earth that people do go out and gather for the factories. Depleting land from trees that give us our oxygen, poisoning the water that's necessary for life, and causing layers in the atmosphere to dwindle such as the Ozone Layer.

I am also not saying we need to go back to the "Stone Age". I am saying, we need to utilize methods of production that won't deplete the Earth of it's resources. In other words, how long does it take Earth to replenish itself of these resources before humans dry the well.

LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED BEN!! :lol

I blame the Eggs.... :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1888 on: February 06, 2023, 08:30:48 AM »
This feels like the thread to put this:

Beyonce set the record last night for most Grammys wins ever last night, but according to some, the Grammys are racist because she has still never won Album of the Year.  Right, the Grammys, that just had a ceremony that was practically a love letter to genres dominated by persons of color, are racist.

You can't make this shit up.

Yes, it is exasperating.  Beyonce wins left and right, and some are still never happy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1889 on: February 06, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »
I think it's more exasperating her winning a Grammy for best EDM/dance album or track whatever.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan