Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 115995 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1610 on: December 07, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »
I occasionally will make a Taco Bell Double Decker when we make tacos at home. When I go with just a hard shell, I put a bed of lettuce down first, keeping the hot, greasy meat away from the base of the shell, which will help keep the shell from breaking.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1611 on: December 11, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
I was with a group of friends at a restaurant yesterday and typically we get checks split to make it easier but we forgot and it came down to the end where we got one big check everyone is acting like it's their first time figuring out who owes what. I figured out my amount and actually had cash on hand to contribute but instead of doing simple math like clockwork the person who owed the most quickly suggested "hey, let's just split the total seven ways". I said no right away and got a befuddled look from my friend but since it's not a hill I'm going to die on I reluctantly agreed and my share ended up being another 20% of my actual bill. Maybe I'm out of line here but would it kill people to just be adults and figure out what you actually owe?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1612 on: December 11, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »
I was with a group of friends at a restaurant yesterday and typically we get checks split to make it easier but we forgot and it came down to the end where we got one big check everyone is acting like it's their first time figuring out who owes what. I figured out my amount and actually had cash on hand to contribute but instead of doing simple math like clockwork the person who owed the most quickly suggested "hey, let's just split the total seven ways". I said no right away and got a befuddled look from my friend but since it's not a hill I'm going to die on I reluctantly agreed and my share ended up being another 20% of my actual bill. Maybe I'm out of line here but would it kill people to just be adults and figure out what you actually owe?

I would've asked for a menu to see the prices or looked for an online menu if they had one. That's not cool that you had to pay extra for someone else.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1613 on: December 11, 2022, 02:10:01 PM »
In Sweden its the norm to pay just what you owe (and fortunately most places are geared up to do itemized bills). I think splitting the bill equally is fine if everyone has eaten about the same (plus or minus a few bucks), but if I knew I'd eaten more than most I would make sure I paid the excess.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1614 on: December 11, 2022, 02:14:45 PM »
Always seems like when everybody figures out their own tab half of them just add the menu price plus a drink and kick that in, neglecting tax/tip. The point man with the check winds up getting $119 for a $120 bill. Thankfully, good POS systems makes separate checks easy.

Personally, I don't mind splitting it evenly to make things simple, but only up to a certain point. Twenty percent I'd probably have done the same thing. In that situation I typically kick in a tad more than necessary, anyway, just for the people who don't. If it's going to double my bill or something than I'll make a big-ass scene.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1615 on: December 11, 2022, 02:21:07 PM »
I'm that guy who makes it clear to the server right away that there needs to be separate checks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1616 on: December 11, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
This is the plot of the Friends episode called "The One with Five Steaks and an Eggplant."  Essentially, three of the main characters make a lot less money than the other three.  They go out for a nice dinner.  The three low income friends order the least expensive stuff possible and the one of the other three suggests splitting the bill evenly.  It causes a fight.

I've never been in a situation with more than one other person where someone wanted to split evenly.  Usually what happens in that situation is that the person who takes the lead with the bill ends up getting hosed because one or two people inevitably fail to include money to cover sales tax and tip.

My entry of the day for this thread is restaurants who list prices as "$13.5" or "29.9."  This is money.  It isn't a math class where you ignore zeroes at the end, and it comes across as highly pretentious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1617 on: December 11, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »

Usually, one of us in my friends group would just offer to pay the entire bill, but then some other times we'd just end up paying close to what we owe. Most of the time though, we'd would just ask that we all at least pitch in, unless someone is willing to front you for the time being. I also wouldn't get more than I could afford to pay or "pitch in". If I had $20, I wouldn't get anything more than that so I could use that 20 to pitch in on the total bill.

I guess for us, it's just easier to just get one entire check and figure it out from there. At times, if it doesn't come to that high of a bill, that's when one of us would just front the entire bill. And I guess we just never cared for how much we owe individually when it comes to what we as group spend when we are together.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1618 on: December 11, 2022, 03:35:41 PM »

I would've asked for a menu to see the prices or looked for an online menu if they had one. That's not cool that you had to pay extra for someone else.

The bill did have prices listed so there was really no excuse other than laziness. Everyone that didn't have cash was just going to Venmo the one person who paid the whole thing anyway so I can't see why we all couldn't work out our own bill.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: December 13, 2022, 10:18:00 AM »
Most times going out with a group, the bill ends up just being split evenly.  I was not a fan of this, but often times, with friends, it's just a courteous thing in a way.  You're all together, you're all having a meal or drinks.  It makes it simple. And then, get what you want to get and not worry about paying more than you owe.  That's what I started doing once I got older and our adult get togethers starting becoming more of "equally split" instead of everyone get your own bill. 

Having said that, I would rather everyone just get their own bill. It's easy for them to split a bill or do separate checks these days, I don't see why not, but it's usually a group thing and the group usually seems to just want to split it equally.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1620 on: December 13, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
I hate splitting tabs evenly. I went to a brunch with four girls recently. I had nothing to drink and they had 14-16 drinks between them. I had a water and one coffee with my breakfast. The bill comes, one girl puts it on her card, and she then proceeds to send us all Venmo requests for $80.

I was fucking livid, but given the context of the situation, I just kept my mouth shut and paid it. But I was low-key pissed the rest of the day. Not so much at the fact that I had to pay $80 for $17 worth of breakfast, but more so that there were four other individuals there and not one thought to themselves "Brian didn't have anything to do with the $200 worth of boos that came to the table, let's not make him pay for any of that".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:45:21 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: December 13, 2022, 10:26:56 AM »
That's ridiculous, and I think it's only fair to split evenly when people are all participating.  If it's dinner, everyone's getting a meal.  If it's drinks, everyone is roughly having the same amount.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1622 on: December 13, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
You know what you guys just experienced right there? I'll say it, but I think I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

I hate splitting tabs evenly. I went to a brunch with four girls recently. I had nothing to drink and they had 14-16 drinks between them. I had a water and one coffee with my breakfast. The bill comes, one girl puts it on her card, and she then proceeds to send us all Venmo requests for $80.

I was fucking livid, but given the context of the situation, I just kept my mouth shut and paid it. But I was low-key pissed the rest of the day. Not so much at the fact that I had to pay $80 for $17 worth of breakfast, but more so that there were four other individuals there and not one thought to themselves "Brian didn't have anything to do with the $200 worth of boos that came to the table, let's not make him pay for any of that".

That's when I would physically give the person the rounded up estimate of what I actually owe. Before I leave, I'll actually look at bill myself too. That way I can calculate what I do owe and go from there.

This again goes down with being a responsible adult and paying what you owe. If you order however many drinks, be prepared to pay for that bill. No way am I paying for it, unless I decide to buy drinks for everyone.

This is how you weed out the moochers.  Sometimes, when I ask someone out, I will front the bill because I asked them to come along, regardless if they have funds or not, for me their company is what I appreciate, not whether they can pay for food and time together I asked of them.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:02:02 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1623 on: December 13, 2022, 11:03:18 AM »
I don't split evenly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1624 on: December 13, 2022, 11:09:45 AM »
I don't split evenly.

When it comes to the check, you just split?  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1625 on: December 13, 2022, 11:12:15 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1626 on: December 13, 2022, 11:19:23 AM »
I don't split evenly.

I'll be the judge of that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1627 on: December 13, 2022, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: December 13, 2022, 12:23:45 PM »
I wonder if I can bring my chainsaw as a carry-on?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1629 on: December 13, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »

Yeah, that's just plain disrespectful. I'd have sent her 20/25 bucks and let her figure out why.

Next time you're out with those same women, order yourself a gourmet meal with the finest tipples of your choice, get the cheque, and pull the same stunt: bill them evenly and see their reaction.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1630 on: December 13, 2022, 12:29:44 PM »

Yeah, that's just plain disrespectful. I'd have sent her 20/25 bucks and let her figure out why.

Next time you're out with those same women, order yourself a gourmet meal with the finest tipples of your choice, get the cheque, and pull the same stunt: bill them evenly and see their reaction.

If I was put in that situation, there would not be a next time  :tdwn
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1631 on: December 13, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »

Next time, what he should do is take a few items from their plate and sips of their drinks, because if you all paid equally, you all therefore must share equally what is on the table.  :biggrin:

I am more interested on why these people think this way. Like, how they expect a final bill to be shared equally among each other, when individually what was shared wasn't distributed equally. By taking the bill, that girl is responsible for the funding, and if she expects money in return for paying for the entire check, it's her responsibility to make sure each person pays what they owe, and not just expect a simple $80 split between all four.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1632 on: December 13, 2022, 12:49:05 PM »

I'd be high-key pissed about it. Out of curiosity, were these coworkers, or perhaps a person you were wanting to bang? You said "under the circumstances," so I'm just cuirious what prompted such restraint. Having said that, my hostiltiy would be at the girl who took the check. The other ladies might not have known you were getting rooked on the deal. The person sending out requests sure did, though. Like I said, I'll almost always just go along with the even split unless it's just grossly disproportional. Happens sometimes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1633 on: December 13, 2022, 01:05:12 PM »

I'd be high-key pissed about it. Out of curiosity, were these coworkers, or perhaps a person you were wanting to bang? You said "under the circumstances," so I'm just cuirious what prompted such restraint. Having said that, my hostiltiy would be at the girl who took the check. The other ladies might not have known you were getting rooked on the deal. The person sending out requests sure did, though. Like I said, I'll almost always just go along with the even split unless it's just grossly disproportional. Happens sometimes.

It was on a recent trip to Colorado and I was out with my Fiance, her two sisters, and one of their oldest childhood friends (the one that did the check). It was the last day of vacation and they hadn't seen each other in some time, so I felt like it wasn't my place to make a big deal about it. My fiance took my side, but also wasn't ready to just piss all over what was otherwise a really nice morning out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1634 on: December 13, 2022, 01:07:35 PM »

It was on a recent trip to Colorado and I was out with my Fiance, her two sisters, and one of their oldest childhood friends (the one that did the check). It was the last day of vacation and they hadn't seen each other in some time, so I felt like it wasn't my place to make a big deal about it. My fiance took my side, but also wasn't ready to just piss all over what was otherwise a really nice morning out.

And were WEREN'T drinking??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1635 on: December 13, 2022, 01:11:42 PM »

Yeah, fair enough. Can't blame you there. And if you were paying for your fiance then the math changes a bit. You're in for 40% of the tab rather than 20.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: December 13, 2022, 01:11:52 PM »
 :lol

I'd be pounding having to listen to 3 women talk. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1637 on: December 13, 2022, 01:23:02 PM »

Well, this does change everything.  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1638 on: December 13, 2022, 01:41:40 PM »
Haha, this thread took a turn!  :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1639 on: December 13, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »
What the hell kind of breakfast sees people having 3-4 drinks each?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1640 on: December 13, 2022, 02:27:55 PM »
I was thinking that, but if it's brunch then all bets are off. My stepbrother will certainly go through 3 or 4 drinks (and a half dozen Camels) over a late breakfast. I don't get it. My days of getting sloshed before 1700 ended a very long time ago.
E.F. Benson

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: December 13, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »

The good kind.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: December 13, 2022, 02:36:56 PM »

I would have flat out refused to pay that amount.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: December 13, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »

The good kind.

:lol I'm not much of a day drinker, but it's quite common for brunches to include lots of drinks if that's the thing you are into.  Mimosas and bloody marys.  I've never done an all you can eat/drink brunch that is common around here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: December 13, 2022, 02:43:06 PM »

I would have flat out refused to pay that amount.

You would've told em all to GAGF and you would now have no fiancee and a much less expensive rest of your life  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au