Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353922 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4690 on: October 20, 2021, 01:43:52 PM »
Received my artbook from Laser CD yesterday.  A beautiful package with some very cool images.  I ripped the Blu-Ray last night to add the Hi-Res files to my library, and out of curiosity, I opened them in my DAW.  The waveforms were a complete crew cut across the board.  I don't get balled up over DR numbers, but I'm very disappointed that they did this, especially with the Blu-Ray.  They have never done this with any of their previous Blu-Ray releases, so I don't understand why they chose to slam any sense of dynamics out of this release.  I'll be ripping the CD later today, but don't expect it to be any different.  I hope the musical content makes up for this mastering.  What a shame.

If the HD Tracks version turns out to be different, I'll have to pull the trigger on that, but for now, I'm bummed.

DanLore
That sounds really disappointing. It's shameful how most bands release a brickwalled version of their music, and most don't provide a different option. There is simply no excuse. Why brickwall so hard in the first place? There's nothing to gain, but the product quality suffers. There are records that I can't listen to at all, including the CD versions of DT12 and DOT. They're literally broken IMO.

Are the HDTracks version of DT12 and DoT significantly better? The previews for DT12 sound good to me but that could also be some kind of psychological bias at work.

Spending $35 for both is hard to justify unless it's a significant improvement. But on the other hand I know your pain with the CD masters.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4691 on: October 20, 2021, 01:47:41 PM »
Received my artbook from Laser CD yesterday.  A beautiful package with some very cool images.  I ripped the Blu-Ray last night to add the Hi-Res files to my library, and out of curiosity, I opened them in my DAW.  The waveforms were a complete crew cut across the board.  I don't get balled up over DR numbers, but I'm very disappointed that they did this, especially with the Blu-Ray.  They have never done this with any of their previous Blu-Ray releases, so I don't understand why they chose to slam any sense of dynamics out of this release.  I'll be ripping the CD later today, but don't expect it to be any different.  I hope the musical content makes up for this mastering.  What a shame.

If the HD Tracks version turns out to be different, I'll have to pull the trigger on that, but for now, I'm bummed.

DanLore
That sounds really disappointing. It's shameful how most bands release a brickwalled version of their music, and most don't provide a different option. There is simply no excuse. Why brickwall so hard in the first place? There's nothing to gain, but the product quality suffers. There are records that I can't listen to at all, including the CD versions of DT12 and DOT. They're literally broken IMO.

Are the HDTracks version of DT12 and DoT significantly better? The previews for DT12 sound good to me but that could also be some kind of psychological bias at work.

Spending $35 for both is hard to justify unless it's a significant improvement. But on the other hand I know your pain with the CD masters.
DT12 is a massive improvement (as is Dramatic Turn (and  BC/SL and SC from the MP era), but the best version of D/T is on the audio bluray. (I know, because I own them all)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4692 on: October 20, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »

DanLore

DT12 is a massive improvement (as is Dramatic Turn (and  BC/SL and SC from the MP era), but the best version of D/T is on the audio bluray. (I know, because I own them all)

I can concur. The HD Tracks versions of SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, and DT12 are all superior and have been my only version of them on any device for years now. I never did keep up with the HD Tracks after DT12, so I'm not sure if there's one for The Astonishing (despite how little I listen to that album to begin with), but if the BD audio for DOT is better, I need to find a way to get a rip of that. I own the big deluxe box set but I don't have a BD player to rip it from. Hopefully there's a decent digital HD version of AVFTTOTW that I can get. I think I read earlier in this thread that the audio on the BD is better? Can someone confirm this?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4693 on: October 20, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
I wish I could get excited as everyone else to hear this.  I'll purchase it over the weekend and probably a quiet Sunday night listen will be in order.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4694 on: October 20, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
I wish I could get excited as everyone else to hear this.  I'll purchase it over the weekend and probably a quiet Sunday night listen will be in order.

I think that if you don't like it, then you have probably grown out of DT.

What was the last thing you actually liked by them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4695 on: October 20, 2021, 04:36:02 PM »
I thought Distance Over Time was a return to the Scenes - Octavarium 'magic'. I'm looking forward to this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4696 on: October 20, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »

DOT.  I don't revisit it but really liked it when it came out.

Outgrowing DT could be on the cards though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4697 on: October 20, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »

DanLore

I can concur. The HD Tracks versions of SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, and DT12 are all superior and have been my only version of them on any device for years now. I never did keep up with the HD Tracks after DT12, so I'm not sure if there's one for The Astonishing (despite how little I listen to that album to begin with), but if the BD audio for DOT is better, I need to find a way to get a rip of that. I own the big deluxe box set but I don't have a BD player to rip it from. Hopefully there's a decent digital HD version of AVFTTOTW that I can get. I think I read earlier in this thread that the audio on the BD is better? Can someone confirm this?

-Marc.

In what ways can you explain how the Systematic Chaos HD version is better than the cd?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4698 on: October 20, 2021, 05:14:15 PM »

I think if you liked the "thickness" of Pale Blue Dot or S2N, you should like this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4699 on: October 20, 2021, 05:18:50 PM »

I’m looking forward to your thoughts/first impressions. It took me 2 months to really absorb it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4700 on: October 20, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »

I think if you liked the "thickness" of Pale Blue Dot or S2N, you should like this.

Yeah I did.  This gives me a lot of hope.  S2N was a fav for me. I do trust your judgement.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: October 20, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »

I’m looking forward to your thoughts/first impressions. It took me 2 months to really absorb it.

I admit I have been pretty open and harsh on my thoughts on the singles but will of course post thoughts and really go into it with a fresh state of mind.  I don't want what's in my head at the moment still there going into the album if I can help it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4702 on: October 20, 2021, 05:40:00 PM »

I admit I have been pretty open and harsh on my thoughts on the singles but will of course post thoughts and really go into it with a fresh state of mind.  I don't want what's in my head at the moment still there going into the album if I can help it.

Obviously you have to take opinions as just that. If you listen with a clear head start to finish I would be shocked if you weren’t impressed. We on the forum and me as a newer member are all here for our love of the band so we do have our own personal expectations. I personally never let opinions sway me because I’m an oddball when it comes to my music tastes.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4703 on: October 20, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
watching stuff like this is how I am trying to kill my evenings in anticipation of this album LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ckc2rsUdOk

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4704 on: October 20, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »

DanLore

-Marc.

In what ways can you explain how the Systematic Chaos HD version is better than the cd?

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Dream+Theater&album=Systematic+Chaos

Looking at the average DR levels for the original CD and the HD Tracks versions, the former sits at 6 while the latter is around 10. You can even see the difference in other albums, like the self-titled one, where the HD Tracks versions has an average DR of 12 (compared to the CD's 6), which has the most improved DR over any of the albums that have been released through HD Tracks. Nearly all of DT's studio albums after FII have had poor DR, and their first two releases have the best DR of all of their albums on CD. Of course, most HD digital and vinyl formats have much better DR, but because of the loudness war, anything released by anyone but Steven Wilson tends to get brickwalled to hell and back, but unless you have an ear for dynamic range or own a very high-def stereo system to play music on, it might not matter to most listeners, especially if you stream or listen to music on less-than-professional audio equipment.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4705 on: October 20, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »
Promised my dad I'd wait to listen for the first time until he's with me, so I can't listen til around noon on Saturday.
I'm a man of my word but damn, friday is going to be tricky to get through!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4706 on: October 20, 2021, 06:33:39 PM »
Promised my dad I'd wait to listen for the first time until he's with me, so I can't listen til around noon on Saturday.
I'm a man of my word but damn, friday is going to be tricky to get through!  :lol

How old is your Dad?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4707 on: October 20, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

How old is your Dad?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4708 on: October 20, 2021, 06:34:52 PM »

How old is your Dad?

That was a quick response. I was going to modify my post to ask if he was a fan.

He's young!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4709 on: October 20, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »

DanLore

-Marc.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Dream+Theater&album=Systematic+Chaos

Looking at the average DR levels for the original CD and the HD Tracks versions, the former sits at 6 while the latter is around 10. You can even see the difference in other albums, like the self-titled one, where the HD Tracks versions has an average DR of 12 (compared to the CD's 6), which has the most improved DR over any of the albums that have been released through HD Tracks. Nearly all of DT's studio albums after FII have had poor DR, and their first two releases have the best DR of all of their albums on CD. Of course, most HD digital and vinyl formats have much better DR, but because of the loudness war, anything released by anyone but Steven Wilson tends to get brickwalled to hell and back, but unless you have an ear for dynamic range or own a very high-def stereo system to play music on, it might not matter to most listeners, especially if you stream or listen to music on less-than-professional audio equipment.

-Marc.

Thanks for that explaination.

I meant what's the differences you hear in terms of things like Louder Bass, Keyboards are more audible, The sound breathes allowing more hidden sounds to come upfront?...

Things like this would help me determine whether to purchase the HD versions, more so than looking at Wave Forms. They give me a sense that there is more breathing room, but not what sounds are exactly breathing more better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4710 on: October 20, 2021, 06:59:23 PM »

How old is your Dad?

Whoa, he's my age.  Class of 1990
I was 21 years old when I first got into DT, when I&W came out.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4711 on: October 20, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »

DanLore

-Marc.

-Marc.

I meant what's the differences you hear in terms of things like Louder Bass, Keyboards are more audible, The sound breathes allowing more hidden sounds to come upfront?...

Things like this would help me determine whether to purchase the HD versions, more so than looking at Wave Forms. They give me a sense that there is more breathing room, but not what sounds are exactly breathing more better.

IIRC, back when I first got them awhile ago, around the time that ADTOE or DT12 came out, I remember doing some A/B'ing of the CD and the HD Tracks files, and noticed that the bigger dynamic range allowed for the instruments to have a bit more space, rather than everything sounding like it was loud for the sake of being loud. But it has been some years since I've heard the original CD so I can't really recall what the differences are, especially since my ears have been so used to the HD Tracks versions of SC/BC&SL/ADTOE/DT12. I think for some albums/songs, there is some noticeable clarity in the HD Tracks versions, but hearing those differences might be different from person to person. It's a shame there's no way to preview their tracks on their site, AFAIK, and it's really a blind-buy, but I think if a majority of fans here can attest to the better sound quality of the HD Tracks, I'd say its worth investing in, especially if you think you'll be listening to Dream Theater for a long time to come. Sorry I can't be more specific or helpful!

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4712 on: October 20, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

DanLore

-Marc.

-Marc.

IIRC, back when I first got them awhile ago, around the time that ADTOE or DT12 came out, I remember doing some A/B'ing of the CD and the HD Tracks files, and noticed that the bigger dynamic range allowed for the instruments to have a bit more space, rather than everything sounding like it was loud for the sake of being loud. But it has been some years since I've heard the original CD so I can't really recall what the differences are, especially since my ears have been so used to the HD Tracks versions of SC/BC&SL/ADTOE/DT12. I think for some albums/songs, there is some noticeable clarity in the HD Tracks versions, but hearing those differences might be different from person to person. It's a shame there's no way to preview their tracks on their site, AFAIK, and it's really a blind-buy, but I think if a majority of fans here can attest to the better sound quality of the HD Tracks, I'd say its worth investing in, especially if you think you'll be listening to Dream Theater for a long time to come. Sorry I can't be more specific or helpful!

-Marc.

It's fine. I actually have the Self-titled HD tracks, and do notice an extreme difference in the amount of breathing space. I really hear it in the bass, and the keyboards. Surrender to Reason is where I really hear it, especially right after the intro where it does the clean guitars, that part is muffled on the cd version, but on the HD versions I can hear the guitar arpeggios, the keys and the bass.

I just wanted to know how the HD of SC sounded compared to it like this. It's all good, I may end up buying it if it does have breathing space because PoW and TMOLS need that. Screw I am just gonna buy it... :lol

Offline DanLore

« Reply #4713 on: October 20, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »

DanLore

That is definitely disappointing. I was considering holding off and getting just the HD version of this one this time, instead of wasting my money again on the normal release that I never end up listening to because of how it sounds.  Wonder if the HD version will be available right away?

So, the left and right channels of the 5.1 LPCM mix were also pretty scalped, but the other channels were in good shape with plenty of headroom.  I ripped all six channels and output to stereo via DVD Audio Extractor, which produced a nice clean result with about 4db of headroom.  Although I shouldn't have to do this with a brand new recording, I'm a little less bummed now.

I anxious to hear from anyone who grabs the HD Tracks download to see if its got some 'hair' on the waveform.

DanLore

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4714 on: October 20, 2021, 07:57:12 PM »

How old is your Dad?

You’re dad is 2 years younger than me, Damn I’m old. Lol. I love that this forum has generational fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4715 on: October 20, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »

How old is your Dad?

You’re dad is 2 years younger than me, Damn I’m old. Lol. I love that this forum has generational fans.

Then you're 2 years younger than me! :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4716 on: October 20, 2021, 08:05:53 PM »

How old is your Dad?

Then you're 2 years younger than me! :lol

I’ll be 52 in May. But I probably FEEL 2 years older than you.  :|

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4717 on: October 20, 2021, 08:10:27 PM »
I turned 53 a month ago.

Even though I actually held WDADU in my hands in late 89/early 90, I really didn't discover DT until I was 23 in the summer of '92. I was already 2 years out of college.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4718 on: October 20, 2021, 08:41:18 PM »
I think my dad really got into DT around Octavarium. He saw DT for the first time on that tour in Colombia when he was there on vacation (We live in America, he just planned to see DT during his trip).
But yeah, he's been a fan for a while, haha.
I love the wide range of ages on here! I'm sure I'm in the younger chunk but it's cool to have such a wide range. I'm only 17! Got into the band in early 2019 (right before DoT came out).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4719 on: October 20, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
I think my dad really got into DT around Octavarium. He saw DT for the first time on that tour in Colombia when he was there on vacation (We live in America, he just planned to see DT during his trip).
But yeah, he's been a fan for a while, haha.
I love the wide range of ages on here! I'm sure I'm in the younger chunk but it's cool to have such a wide range. I'm only 17! Got into the band in early 2019 (right before DoT came out).

I think you’re awesome! So cool a 17 year old these days is into DT. I have 3 boys ages 17, 20, and 23 and they all grew up listening to my music in the car but they all like Trippie Red and stuff like that. I used to play DT, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Kansas, Yngwie, and much more.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4720 on: October 20, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
26 here, but got into DT when I was 14. Haven't looked back since :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4721 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »
26 here, but got into DT when I was 14. Haven't looked back since :metal

That’s awesome, Love it man!!!!  :tup :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4722 on: October 20, 2021, 09:40:29 PM »
Whoa, he's my age.  Class of 1990
I was 21 years old when I first got into DT, when I&W came out.  :metal
n00b

I'm the same age and got into them the summer before my senior year!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4723 on: October 20, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
I am 42 now. I got into Dream Theater when I was 17 back in 1996 with Images and Words, but given my age at the time, it was Awake that really "spoke" to me. Sort of gave up on the band after Train of Thought because of noodling fatigue. Went back bigtime when Mangini joined the band and have thoroughly enjoyed the ride ever since.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4724 on: October 20, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »
My kids are into their own music.  But both of my boys (18 and 16) have a couple of DT songs on their playlists. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."