Author Topic: The Alien vs. Distance over Time  (Read 3180 times)

Offline LKap13

The Alien vs. Distance over Time
« on: September 23, 2021, 11:46:05 AM »
Do you guys think The Alien would fit stylistically in DoT? Or is it different? I'm trying to imagine whether Avfttotw is going to be DoT part 2 or not...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Alien vs. Distance over Time
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
I guess it fits.  But without saying too much about AVFTTOTW, to me, it definitely sounds like a logical follow-up to DOT, but does not simply sound like "DOT pt. 2."  It is different and definitely has its own identity. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 01:24:37 PM »
I think DoT lacks songs like The Alien. The ones that came closer for me were At Wits End and S2N, in terms of level of energy and interesting twists and turns.

Not saying I prefer a song over another, but The Alien showed exactly what I missed and wished to see more of the band on DoT.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
I think it would fit perfectly DoT. It has the same relentless energy as the other songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 03:14:54 AM »
It seems like a follow up to Pale Blue Dot.   Now I want to listen to both of those songs back to back, starting with PBD. 
The drum fill that starts off The Alien after the end of PBD could almost make it feel like one big epic song.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

• PR permission
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »
There are so many cool riffs in PBD. The lyrics also match the music perfectly. One of the best things they've put out.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »
It seems like a follow up to Pale Blue Dot.   Now I want to listen to both of those songs back to back, starting with PBD. 
The drum fill that starts off The Alien after the end of PBD could almost make it feel like one big epic song.   :metal

Yes they are strangely similar songs, in a way it's kinda like how between SFAM and Octavarium, the albums began with the sound at the end of the previous album. It's like The Alien is figuratively like this in it's relation to DOT.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 02:13:58 AM »
Yes, they have a way of flowing one album to the next quite nicely.   Btw, welcome to the forum AVFTTOTW!  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 02:49:27 AM »
Yes, they have a way of flowing one album to the next quite nicely.   Btw, welcome to the forum AVFTTOTW!  :coolio

Thanks  :metal

Also I forgot that back in the day we used to call SFAM-8VM the "meta-album".

To me Pale Blue Dot feels like BC&SL (except superior) with elements of SFAM and the selftitled, whereas The Alien feels more like Systematic Chaos (with a little 8VM).

PBD is clearly a better song to me than TA, however AVFTTOTW is IMHO an instantly more loveable album on first listen than any of the albums since ADTOE.
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 03:23:12 AM »
Yes they are strangely similar songs, in a way it's kinda like how between SFAM and Octavarium, the albums began with the sound at the end of the previous album. It's like The Alien is figuratively like this in it's relation to DOT.
But it's six degrees' the glass prison that follows SFAM :D
Indeed transition from album to album is super cool
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 05:49:09 AM »
I forgot that back in the day we used to call SFAM-8VM the "meta-album".
We still call it that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
I've never even heard that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »

I mean between those the four albums two albums, (SFAM, SDOIT, ToT to 8VM)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
Whats a meta-album?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• PR permission
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
how are PBD and Alien similar? I guess the lyrics loosely pertain to the same genre (ish?) but they sound pretty different to me. The riffs, solos, and rhythms aren't similar to my ear, but maybe I've overlooked something.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 12:17:52 AM »

I mean between those the four albums two albums, (SFAM, SDOIT, ToT to 8VM)
I'm sorry, you're completely right then
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/