Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349415 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4550 on: October 16, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »
next 7 days is going to be painful lol. I am hoping that Amazon ships my album early. I am getting the impression that people think the 2 singles are the weakest songs on the record, which would be great.

invisible monster is def the worst song on the record

Which is the best?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4551 on: October 16, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »
Does the album (especially the epic) have some insane instrumental atonal-like sections, like ITPOE (the reckoning), or that sick section form Haken's Crystallized?

I hope I'm allowed to say this, otherwise please delete!

Yes it does.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4552 on: October 16, 2021, 10:15:54 AM »
next 7 days is going to be painful lol. I am hoping that Amazon ships my album early. I am getting the impression that people think the 2 singles are the weakest songs on the record, which would be great.

Which is the best?

they're all very similar.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #4553 on: October 16, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »

DEFINITELY! :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4554 on: October 16, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »

I actually love both singles. I think you will appreciate them more listening to the album start to finish. The problem with singles, especially in this genre is we have a tendency to dissect every damn note because we are trying to decode where the album is headed. Truth is when you hear the full album you have more to digest and less time to sit with a single for weeks of frustration.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:40:10 AM by Glasser »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #4555 on: October 16, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »

I actually love both singles. I think you will appreciate them more listening to the album start to finish. The problem with singles, especially in this genre is we have a tendency to dissect every damn note because we are trying to decode where the album is headed. Truth is when you hear the full album you have more to digest and less time to sit with a single for weeks of frustration.

This could be true for some, but when I came on board to DT music, they had all their discography thru TA. I got into them by bouncing around all the albums, finding favorite songs. Then after awhile would listen to the entire album to see if there was more great stuff. Only Scenes and TA bettered themselves by listening to them as a whole for me. However, there were Numerous songs that took loads of listens to "get". And many (Octavarium, BAI, This is the Life for example) became favorites later.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4556 on: October 16, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
According to most reviews I've read there is less hype about the title song but more hype for Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master. For DoT, the band seemed to hype about Pale Blue DoT but people like At Wit's End and even Barstool Warrior more.

We'll see how it goes in one week.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

• PR permission
« Reply #4557 on: October 16, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »
I think PBD was pretty darn popular

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #4558 on: October 16, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »
Does the album (especially the epic) have some insane instrumental atonal-like sections, like ITPOE (the reckoning), or that sick section form Haken's Crystallized?

I hope I'm allowed to say this, otherwise please delete!

Yes it does.

I was surprised the *Mozart section* was so atonal.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4559 on: October 16, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
Or if you subscribe to a streaming service it'll probably be available there at midnight.

Yeah I use a streaming service. My question was regarding having a hard copy for the road trip.

Yea good luck streaming this album on a road trip!  :lol  That's a looooot of data.  If there's a reason for CD's to be made it's DT.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4560 on: October 16, 2021, 03:16:54 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from lasercd.com about when the art book will ship?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4561 on: October 16, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »

Hit them up, Ken answers emails pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:27:55 PM by Glasser »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4562 on: October 16, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »

Well if invisible monster is the worst song, then that's great news!  I love that song, so it means that it's all up hill from there and the album is gonna be amazing..   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4563 on: October 16, 2021, 04:28:37 PM »

Well if invisible monster is the worst song, then that's great news!  I love that song, so it means that it's all up hill from there and the album is gonna be amazing..   :coolio

It's better than the worst song on every other Mangini Era album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4564 on: October 16, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »

I hadn’t thought about it. But, yeah.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #4565 on: October 16, 2021, 06:38:22 PM »

Hit them up, Ken answers emails pretty quickly.

Indeed. I got a fast reply. This is the response I got:

We start shipping this Monday and Tuesday.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4566 on: October 16, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-keyboardist-says-first-two-singles-from-a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-are-not-fully-representative-of-album/

"DREAM THEATER Keyboardist Says First Two Singles From 'A View From The Top Of The World' Are Not Fully Representative Of Album"

"So anybody who's listening to this and hasn't heard the album yet, know that there's a whole lot more going on stylistically than either of those songs."

• PR permission
« Reply #4567 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »

Actually that is a great way of thinking about it! It is indeed better than Build Me Up, Along for the Ride, every song on the Astonishing, but hmmm...Distance Over Time? I'd say the weakest song there is Fall Into the Light, Room 137 or Viper King. It's a close call tbh.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4568 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:47 PM »
Fall Into The Light is awesome!!

I'd take Invisible Monster over Room 137, Out Of Reach, and Paralyzed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4569 on: October 16, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »
Fall into the Light might be the best song of the Mangini era.  I would say it is in that convo with At Wit's End, Three Days, Ravenskill, Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions.

• PR permission
« Reply #4570 on: October 16, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »
Fall Into The Light is awesome!!

I'd take Invisible Monster over Room 137, Out Of Reach, and Paralyzed.

I really like the instrumental section on FITL. I think it's the chorus that I don't like.

Maybe IM is better than Room 137 though I've begun to appreciate that groove more. I think Out of Reach might be DT's most underrated ballad.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4571 on: October 16, 2021, 07:28:25 PM »
Musically one of the best but it suffers lacking interesting vocal melodies.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4572 on: October 16, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
Invisible Monster sounds like it could've come off of DT12. I'm honestly surprised at the grief it's getting.

Like DTwwbwMP says, if IM is the worst song, this is a hell of an album.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-keyboardist-says-first-two-singles-from-a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world-are-not-fully-representative-of-album/

"DREAM THEATER Keyboardist Says First Two Singles From 'A View From The Top Of The World' Are Not Fully Representative Of Album"

"So anybody who's listening to this and hasn't heard the album yet, know that there's a whole lot more going on stylistically than either of those songs."

I feel like JR  has maybe heard some criticisms. I don't know why else he'd say something like this. I feel like The Alien is exactly representative of the album.

I think Out of Reach might be DT's most underrated ballad.

I think Out Of Reach is literally one of the worst songs they've ever done. :)

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4573 on: October 16, 2021, 07:32:21 PM »
Invisible Monster sounds like it could've come off of DT12. I'm honestly surprised at the grief it's getting.

Like DTwwbwMP says, if IM is the worst song, this is a hell of an album.

I feel like JR  has maybe heard some criticisms. I don't know why else he'd say something like this. I feel like The Alien is exactly representative of the album.

I think Out of Reach might be DT's most underrated ballad.

He actually says later in the interview that The Alien is a good representation of the album compared to IM.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4574 on: October 16, 2021, 07:34:04 PM »
Well, there you go! :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #4575 on: October 16, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »
I could see Alien being representative. I just hope the rest is a little less predictable than Alien :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4576 on: October 16, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
I'm not saying Out Of Reach is amazing, but it has its moments.

I like ADTOE, but the only songs I cherry pick with any regularity since ADTOE is:

Barstool Warrior
Viper King
Behind the Veil
At Wit's End

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4577 on: October 16, 2021, 07:37:05 PM »

One of the best, I think. It's because OOR is the only song that has Kevin Moore touch. (Sorry, I miss Kevin's melodies so much.) Kinda darker, haunting and yet simple sound. I just love it.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4578 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »
I love Out of Reach. That is my probably my 3rd favorite from the last album behind Fall into the Light and At Wit's End. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4579 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »

Yeah, the moment it ends. :P

I could see Alien being representative. I just hope the rest is a little less predictable than Alien :)

I don't find The Alien predictable at all. It took me a number of listens to figure it out.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4580 on: October 16, 2021, 07:40:51 PM »
Well, there you go! :lol

Yeah I probably should've said that in my original comment about the article  :lol
My bad

• PR permission
« Reply #4581 on: October 16, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
One thing I will say about Alien...I like the lyrics and the subject matter a lot. The lyrics have gotten better and better since BCSL.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4582 on: October 16, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »

Yeah, the moment it ends. :P

I don't find The Alien predictable at all. It took me a number of listens to figure it out.

I like the JP lead. I would have preferred it as a softer ballad.
Serox mentioned Kevin Moore influence, and I agree. I hear OOR progressing and it's like, "don't Systematic Chaos my Kevin Moore" when I hear Out of Reach.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4583 on: October 16, 2021, 09:05:24 PM »
Love out of reach.  Sounds like a 90’s dream theater ballad which is a very good thing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4584 on: October 16, 2021, 10:27:39 PM »
The last word I would use to describe The Alien is predictable.