Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349188 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4515 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
They think, James was a great studio vocalist, even today but beginning from SDOIT he was just there, do his job. No feeling, no touching lines, no deepness (which I disagree btw). But for the first since SDOIT they think James conveys great feeling and does intense vocals.

James was astonishing in The Astonishing, imo.
Pun intended.
Why does everyone forget or underrate that masterpiece?

Due to it being an entirely different style of album that most people do not have the time for plays a lot into it. This is an album that needs to be listened to with your full attention.

I view it like watching a movie, although it's a musical movie. I can sit down, close my eyes, and imagine the world. I can imagine the NOMACS, Faythe walking the castle halls, and the battle between Arhys and Darius.

Then you have expectations not being met and people being disappointed, as they expected the story or album to focus on their more heavier, metal aspects. But this story is not about those type of moments emotionally. The music plays a different role than your usual songs.

The music in The Astonishing is there to set the themes of the characters. I don't know if anyone noticed, but these themes are used when each character is speaking, and each of these themes has a song that showcases what the theme is. The Answer( introduction bro Gabriel's Theme), Act of Faythe(literally a song dedicated to Faythes theme, and is reprised in Losing Faythe), and Lord Nefaryus (obviously his theme song). And these themes intertwine within songs as well to form different feelings like Losing Faith portraying sadness using Faythe, Annabelle, and Lord Nefaryus themes, which this is the climax of all three of their themes. Whispers on The Wind/Hymn of A Thousand Voices are Gabriel's Theme climax songs. In The Wind, it's only piano due to Gabriel losing his voice, then the uplifting of Hymn is Gabriel's Theme and song "When Your Time Has Come" being sung by the crowd that gathered at Heavens Cove, further uplifting his voice to where they all rejoice and sing.

There's just so much in this album that not many have the time to analyze the themes, moods, and overall connection the music style has with the story.

The only reason I don’t listen to The Astonishing all that much is because I just don’t have time to listen to a two and a half hour record. I absolutely adore this album.

Precisely, and I feel it is deliberate because that is a topic discussed in the concept. And ironically, it rings true for this album. Hence JPs point of people not having the time for music anymore being a factor for music being made by AI.

Things being created by AI and they're rise, is the main reason for JP deciding to make The Astonishing. The question he asked was, "What would happen if music became artificial?" It's a big reason for the NOMACS being the centerpiece of the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4516 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:49 AM »
I’m concerned that the epic seems to be leaving listeners underwhelmed. Nobody seems to be all that impressed by it and that’s 20 minutes of the album.

Based on reviews it sounds like they played it safe with the album but made it sonically great.  Sounds like a collection of solid songs but no instant classics.

First, I like the epic very much. It has some of the best moments of the album and it hangs together quite well. Sure, it's episodic in feel, but so was ACoS, and I think they use that effectively.

And I absolutely do think there are instant classics here. I haven't even mentioned it before because I deliberately didn't want to do a track-by-track retelling (I find these boring), but Sleeping Giant is a masterpiece and I can easily see that one, the title track, Awaken the Master and The Alien (while not quite on the same level) becoming live staples.

Awesome, I love to hear that.  I'm glad to hear some love for the epic.  Thats my biggest concern of the album tbh.

I'm extremely excited and really like The Alien and Invisible Monster, especially if those are two of the weaker tracks. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4517 on: October 15, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »
Since reviews are posting, and I know there have been some questions about the epic, here are some thoughts from me:

It is a VERY good DT epic.  As with anything that long, it is taking awhile to digest, so I won't even attempt to rate or compare it to other epics.  But to compare it as far as sound, I would say it reminds me the most of Illumination Theory in terms of some of the riffs, and A Change of Seasons in terms of composition and structure. 

The sample that many of you heard is from the intro.  It begins with a symphonic section that reminds me somewhat of V/Odyssey era Symphony X.  That section builds, and then into a riff that is somewhat reminiscent of IT and PBD.  First "main" part of the song once it gets going has a verse/chorus structure, and the chorus (which comes back later) is pretty catchy. 

In the middle, there is a softer section that is driven by JP acoustic guitar and cello.  Then James comes in after a bit.  It feels a lot more integrated as part of the song than, say, the soft parts of TCOT or IT.  The transition into it is VERY smooth, and it doesn't feel like you are listening to something that is a completely different song altogether.  It absolutely feels like it belongs.  I would kind of compare it to a blend of the Beautiful Agony section of ANTR and the soft "angels fall/heretic" section of ITPOE. 

We also get some really juicy DT signature riffing and instrumental gynmastics in the middle.

And a solid, but maybe somewhat predictable sounding closing section.  Doesn't necessarily feel like a huge, soaring, epic ending.  But that being said, (1) it is a satisfying ending and doesn't feel like it necessarily needs to be huge; and (2) I haven't spent a lot of time with the epic, and it is possible the ending may have more impact, and I just haven't processed it yet. 

Overall, it is a solid epic.  And I have no idea where I would rank it among DT's other "mega-epics" (20-minute+ songs [A Change of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, Illumination Theory]).  But I am pretty sure that fans that like most of those will like this one as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4518 on: October 15, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4519 on: October 15, 2021, 09:02:14 AM »
Here are my very early "first impression" notes for each song.  These are just some scribblings that I wrote down while listening:

The Alien:  Sqeeze "drop the needle in the middle of the record" song. [probably nobody will get that reference]  AGGRESSIVE.  Unsettling.  Time sigs.  DRUMS!!!  :o

Answering the Call:  FW Seven Stars riff.  :metal  Nice keys.  CHORUS!  AROP solo-tradeoff (san bebot).  Structure!  [I have no idea what I meant by that last one]

Invisible Monster:  HK intro.  Accessible guitar/key riff.  Verse syncopation.  Chorus ear worm!  Eerie melody--SC?  Love it!

Sleeping Giant:  Buzzsaw opening.  LTE/JP solo riff.  Cool backing "whoa-ooo" vox.  Metropolis.

Transcending Time:  Single?  Rush song.  :)  Piano!

Awaken the Master:  TA intro!  Other TA.  Classic JP (Terminal Velocity influence?).  FII feel? 

View:  IT2 (without middle).  SyX intro.  :metal  Epic riff!  ITPOE/Floyd had a baby.  Epic [something I can't read] guitar.

Some of that makes no sense to me now several weeks after the fact.  But again, it was my stream-of-consciousness, spontaneous reaction, note taking as I listened while at work. 

EDIT:  Oh, and I also made comments awhile back that I would reveal my initial impressions for what other things "in the DT family" that this album reminded me of.  I was very careful in my language when I said "in the DT family."  And the reason for that is that, at least initially, my first impressions as far as "what does this most remind me of?" were NOT other DT albums.  My initial reactions as far as drawing parallels with sound would be:  LTE, JP solo albums, and JLB solo albums.  My mind went to those three before any DT albums.  Not that it doesn't sound like DT, or that I haven't since drawn parallels with other DT albums.  I have.  But that is where my mind was initially drawn.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:13:59 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4520 on: October 15, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »
Thanks Bosk for that description.

7 more days!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4521 on: October 15, 2021, 09:03:59 AM »
Since reviews are posting, and I know there have been some questions about the epic, here are some thoughts from me:

It is a VERY good DT epic.  As with anything that long, it is taking awhile to digest, so I won't even attempt to rate or compare it to other epics.  But to compare it as far as sound, I would say it reminds me the most of Illumination Theory in terms of some of the riffs, and A Change of Seasons in terms of composition and structure. 

The sample that many of you heard is from the intro.  It begins with a symphonic section that reminds me somewhat of V/Odyssey era Symphony X.  That section builds, and then into a riff that is somewhat reminiscent of IT and PBD.  First "main" part of the song once it gets going has a verse/chorus structure, and the chorus (which comes back later) is pretty catchy. 

In the middle, there is a softer section that is driven by JP acoustic guitar and cello.  Then James comes in after a bit.  It feels a lot more integrated as part of the song than, say, the soft parts of TCOT or IT.  The transition into it is VERY smooth, and it doesn't feel like you are listening to something that is a completely different song altogether.  It absolutely feels like it belongs.  I would kind of compare it to a blend of the Beautiful Agony section of ANTR and the soft "angels fall/heretic" section of ITPOE. 

We also get some really juicy DT signature riffing and instrumental gynmastics in the middle.

And a solid, but maybe somewhat predictable sounding closing section.  Doesn't necessarily feel like a huge, soaring, epic ending.  But that being said, (1) it is a satisfying ending and doesn't feel like it necessarily needs to be huge; and (2) I haven't spent a lot of time with the epic, and it is possible the ending may have more impact, and I just haven't processed it yet. 

Overall, it is a solid epic.  And I have no idea where I would rank it among DT's other "mega-epics" (20-minute+ songs [A Change of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, Illumination Theory]).  But I am pretty sure that fans that like most of those will like this one as well.

Awesome thanks for the breakdown Bosk!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4522 on: October 15, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »
By the way, in case anyone is interested, my "Squeeze" comment on The Alien comes from something Dave Meniketti said about the Y&T song, Squeeze.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H-mpC_mYTc  He said that the intent was to write a song that grabs you right from the getgo and "feels like you just dropped the needle in the middle of the record."  Listen to the beginning of Squeeze and you'll know what I mean.  But that quote is where my mind immediately went when I heard how The Alien begin.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4523 on: October 15, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »
Transcending Time:  Single?  Rush song.  :)  Piano

That's good to hear. I love RUSH songs better when DT does it.  :biggrin:
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4524 on: October 15, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
Always gotta work in some Y&T.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4525 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:29 AM »

I do sometimes think of DT as a better, heavier, more powerful version of Rush.  Which is a comment I know Rush fans would chop my head off for saying.   As much as DT is inspired by Rush I never got hooked on them.  I like them but not nearly as much as the rest of the great prog bands I love (Yes, Tull, Genesis, Floyd, etc...)

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4526 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:39 AM »

I do sometimes think of DT as a better, heavier, more powerful version of Rush.  Which is a comment I know Rush fans would chop my head off for saying.   As much as DT is inspired by Rush I never got hooked on them.  I like them but not nearly as much as the rest of the great prog bands I love (Yes, Tull, Genesis, Floyd, etc...)

Big Rush fan here but I hear what you're saying and I don't want to chop your head off  :rollin

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: October 15, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
With the epic, I kept waiting for that grandiose finale that never came.

All in all I love the epic. And the album, did I say is the AOTY for me? Yes, it is!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4528 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »

Big Rush fan here but I hear what you're saying and I don't want to chop your head off  :rollin
I'm a big Rush fan too and I don't want to do any head chopping either since it's against the law.   :police:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4529 on: October 15, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
Does the album (especially the epic) have some insane instrumental atonal-like sections, like ITPOE (the reckoning), or that sick section form Haken's Crystallized?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #4530 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »

I'm a big Rush fan too and I don't want to do any head chopping either since it's against the law.   :police:

Exactly. I can't listen to AVFTTOTW in jail.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4532 on: October 15, 2021, 01:06:12 PM »
next 7 days is going to be painful lol. I am hoping that Amazon ships my album early. I am getting the impression that people think the 2 singles are the weakest songs on the record, which would be great.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4533 on: October 15, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »
I wonder what the likelihood is the art book will actually ship on time.

Online Kram

« Reply #4534 on: October 15, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
Holy shit guys, this is amazing. To my knowledge, Bill Rogers has never been mentioned in any interview or book or anything. Would love to not only hear the demos but also any other material he has done. Did he ever release an album with any bands? I collect all of that. I've got all of Charlie's stuff. I even have material from Chris Cintron. He had a pretty cool band in the 80s called Reckless. I later bought his spanish flamenco stuff or whatever it's called. Really good stuff not my thing.
Here's a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPSLFIWzFk  Hopefully you can find the full demo at the site Glasser provided.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4535 on: October 15, 2021, 02:21:01 PM »
Interesting. Sounds like a cross between John Arch and No Exit Era Ray Alder.

I wonder why there's never been any mention of him before?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4536 on: October 15, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »
Holy shit guys, this is amazing. To my knowledge, Bill Rogers has never been mentioned in any interview or book or anything. Would love to not only hear the demos but also any other material he has done. Did he ever release an album with any bands? I collect all of that. I've got all of Charlie's stuff. I even have material from Chris Cintron. He had a pretty cool band in the 80s called Reckless. I later bought his spanish flamenco stuff or whatever it's called. Really good stuff not my thing.
Here's a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPSLFIWzFk  Hopefully you can find the full demo at the site Glasser provided.

Song is super cool and his voice is too.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #4537 on: October 15, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
With the epic, I kept waiting for that grandiose finale that never came.

All in all I love the epic. And the album, did I say is the AOTY for me? Yes, it is!

:tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4538 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

Ok, here is something special from my personal collection. I love this demo of Bill. Its from my media fire account. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h4m0ebde4wb1gts/DOMINION_%2528320%2529.zip/file

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4539 on: October 15, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »
Huge, strong voice. Wow. I can imagine him singing DT songs pretty well. He sounds like Geoff Tate.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4540 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »
Question: is there any place in the States that will ship this sooner than Amazon? My Amazon order isn't scheduled to arrive the following week but I'm leaving on a road trip the 24th.

So . . . no?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #4541 on: October 15, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Question: is there any place in the States that will ship this sooner than Amazon? My Amazon order isn't scheduled to arrive the following week but I'm leaving on a road trip the 24th.

So . . . no?

You will probably get an mp3 download from Amazon auto ripp on the 22nd.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #4542 on: October 15, 2021, 05:20:29 PM »
Or if you subscribe to a streaming service it'll probably be available there at midnight.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #4543 on: October 15, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
Or if you subscribe to a streaming service it'll probably be available there at midnight.
PST it's available 9pm.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #4544 on: October 15, 2021, 06:49:09 PM »
Thanks Bosk, that’s a review I recon to be trustworthy. Now you raised my expectations even more.

And kudos to Lord Jordans sidenote on the Astonishing. It keeps on aging very well for me, the Youtube episodes from Petrucci and Rudess… and the special vinyl package helped me there.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4545 on: October 15, 2021, 11:59:47 PM »
Metropolis Pt. 1 is as abrupt as it can get.

Oh yeah...

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: October 16, 2021, 12:19:45 AM »
next 7 days is going to be painful lol. I am hoping that Amazon ships my album early. I am getting the impression that people think the 2 singles are the weakest songs on the record, which would be great.

invisible monster is def the worst song on the record

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4547 on: October 16, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »
RE : The Alien - I'm not the biggest fan of albums that just START with track 1 already at full tilt.

Capsizing the Sea is an awesome intro to In Waves for example.

But they did the clean / acoustic intro already to On The Backs of Angels and Untethered Angel. And The Astonishing had like two intros and then the clean / acoustic intro.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4548 on: October 16, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »

Ok, here is something special from my personal collection. I love this demo of Bill. Its from my media fire account. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h4m0ebde4wb1gts/DOMINION_%2528320%2529.zip/file

Thank you so much Kram and Glasser!  I'm hopefully going to listen to these later today!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4549 on: October 16, 2021, 07:58:26 AM »

Yeah I use a streaming service. My question was regarding having a hard copy for the road trip.