Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 349600 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #4725 on: October 20, 2021, 09:48:00 PM »
A View From The Top Of The World is a first rate album. Definitely NO NEW GROUND broken here, but IMO, it's the best Mangini era album. Speaking of MM, this is the first album where we really get to hear the power of his drumming! This is NOT a "throwback" album at all. It fits squarely in with the sound of everything since ADTOE, just definitely better produced and with crystal clear sound. The two songs already released are certainly the weakest on the record, especially "Invisible Monster". This is a solid 9/10 for me and my album of the year (just edging out SENJUTSO & MARCHING IN TIME). 

Highlights:
JP & MM
Minor Complaints:
Lyrics & melodies for many of the songs

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #4726 on: October 20, 2021, 11:14:13 PM »
My favorite tracks are Sleeping Giant, Awaken the Master and the title track (best epic since ITPOE). The Alien is ok but like most of the first singles, I got bored of it quickly (also sounding like a DOT out-take heavily influenced by Systematic Chaos). Invisible Monster is a great track that grew on me even though I didn't like it at first.

The only track I don't like is Transcending Time.

It's a pretty good follow-up to Distance Over Time. It feels like a better album overall (which I never expected to say) and is the exact kind of jump forward I hoped they'd have following up ADTOE.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4727 on: October 21, 2021, 01:40:49 AM »
A View From The Top Of The World is a first rate album. Definitely NO NEW GROUND broken here, but IMO, it's the best Mangini era album. Speaking of MM, this is the first album where we really get to hear the power of his drumming! This is NOT a "throwback" album at all. It fits squarely in with the sound of everything since ADTOE, just definitely better produced and with crystal clear sound. The two songs already released are certainly the weakest on the record, especially "Invisible Monster". This is a solid 9/10 for me and my album of the year (just edging out SENJUTSO & MARCHING IN TIME). 

Highlights:
JP & MM
Minor Complaints:

This is great to read.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #4728 on: October 21, 2021, 01:50:39 AM »
Whoa, he's my age.  Class of 1990
I was 21 years old when I first got into DT, when I&W came out.  :metal
n00b

I'm the same age and got into them the summer before my senior year!   :biggrin:
So you gotta be talking about your senior year in college?  I was talking about High school class 90.   ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #4729 on: October 21, 2021, 05:37:27 AM »
A great album. Very exciting and fun. There is a definite return to a more adventurous DT in terms of technicality, that DoT started to bring back to some extent. Some of the most intense and best instrumental passages since SDOIT/TOT, but there is also a prevalent sense of melody.

It's a heavy album and it also isn't. I don't know how to explain it. When it gets heavy, it is menacing, but the impression of each song is that it wasn't all about heaviness, which is something I personally like as I am more into the proggy side of DT. And that's another thing. I think there is definitely more variety here.

For the record, I loved DoT and I am one of the fans of The Astonishing. I didn't think much of self-titled and ADToE is a mixed bag.

Myung is so wonderfully present. Rudess is trying out all sorts of new stuff which was way overdue, including some very Jon Lord-esque passages on SG. The sound is absolutely pristine.

Favorite songs:
Sleeping Giant
Awaken the Master
Answering the Call/The title track

IM is easily the worst song on the album.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:52:35 AM by CirclesSquared »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4730 on: October 21, 2021, 05:39:31 AM »
People calling A View From The Top... the best epic since Illumination Theory or In The Presence... is a bit underwhelming for me.

• Illumination was literally their most recent EPIC

• In The Presence of Enemies... Is one of my least favourites...

If you were calling it their best Epic since Octavarium i'd be more optimistic .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4731 on: October 21, 2021, 05:40:51 AM »

It's a heavy album and it also isn't. I don't know how to explain it. When it gets heavy, it is menacing, but the impression of each song is that it wasn't all about heaviness, which is something I personally like as I am more into the proggy side of DT. And that's another thing. I think there is definitely more variety here.

This is why I love Octavarium. The heavy stuff is super heavy but the whole album is quite light and airy and varied sounding.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #4732 on: October 21, 2021, 05:41:29 AM »
I've recieved a mail that the vinyl left the building, so it should be delivered tomorrow. Which means, when I've played the whole on iTunes this night when it's coming out, I can spin the album tomorrow. I am looking badass forward to it, unbelievable.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #4733 on: October 21, 2021, 05:49:50 AM »

This is why I love Octavarium. The heavy stuff is super heavy but the whole album is quite light and airy and varied sounding.

I hear you. Although not my favorite, Octavarium is the last Portnoy-era album that, for me, had some magic in it. And I think it's down to how airy it felt throughout.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4734 on: October 21, 2021, 05:57:52 AM »

I don't really get why IM was so poorly received. I actually like its Pull Me Under-like vibe a lot.

For me, the weakest song on the album is easily Transcending Time.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #4735 on: October 21, 2021, 06:04:04 AM »

I don't really get why IM was so poorly received. I actually like its Pull Me Under-like vibe a lot.

That's a bit far-fetched. I don't hear PMU there at all.

I like TT. If anything, it has more of I&W's late 80s early 90s feel than IM.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4736 on: October 21, 2021, 06:06:09 AM »

Highlights:
JP & MM
Minor Complaints:

This feels like a bad sign for me.  Going with the assumption that their playing will be terrific as always, I couldn't give two craps if the playing is better than normal (whatever that even means), the time sigs are more crazy, or any of that other technical nonsense. I want good songs with good, strong melodies.   

Offline Awaken

« Reply #4737 on: October 21, 2021, 06:26:06 AM »
My artbook showed up yesterday, been digesting all of the content here.  I overplayed The Alien and Invisible Monster when they were released, so I've been skipping them in my playthroughs.  Answering the Call and Transcending Time are both great, the longer songs will just take more time to fully grasp.  This is very much NOT DT by the numbers (to me), feels really fresh and inspired. 

Also if on the fence, get the artbook - the team (band and art team) did a great job on it.  I don't have a CD player anywhere, so I've been listening via the BluRay - the visuals are pretty cool.

*Edit - Also, JM wins the 'Digging for a spark' behind the scenes.  When you see, you'll know.

Offline convrge

« Reply #4738 on: October 21, 2021, 06:37:19 AM »
I'm glad to hear that people are talking about the dynamic range of the upcoming release. If anyone is interested, Apple Music does have the BluRay version of Distance Over Time, as well as the HDTracks version of A Dramatic Turn of Events and Systematic Chaos. These all have higher DR values than the standard masterings.

However, the versions of the self-titled and Black Clouds & Silver Linings on Apple Music are the standard CD versions (despite dynamic HDTracks versions of those also existing). It will be interesting to see what they publish on Apple Music (and other streaming services).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 06:44:09 AM by convrge »

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4739 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:50 AM »
Glad people are getting what they ordered. My boxset still hasn't been shipped yet...... :censored

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4740 on: October 21, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »
I'm glad to hear that people are talking about the dynamic range of the upcoming release. If anyone is interested, Apple Music does have the BluRay version of Distance Over Time, as well as the HDTracks version of A Dramatic Turn of Events and Systematic Chaos. These all have higher DR values than the standard masterings.

However, the versions of the self-titled and Black Clouds & Silver Linings on Apple Music are the standard CD versions (despite dynamic HDTracks versions of those also existing). It will be interesting to see what they publish on Apple Music (and other streaming services).

How are you able to tell which version these are? Not questioning it, but I can’t find on Apple Music where it distinguishes whether it’s blue Ray or hd or neither.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4741 on: October 21, 2021, 07:11:28 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting home from work tonight and listening to the whole thing at 00:00 on Spotify.

Yes i do plan to get the 2LP 1CD package when i can.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4742 on: October 21, 2021, 07:13:56 AM »
Thanks to Max/Marc for the info about the HDTracks version and the link to the loudness war db. Very helpful! Will probably purchase as time allows and will try to find the audio Blu-Ray for DoT.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online nikatapi

« Reply #4743 on: October 21, 2021, 07:15:13 AM »

How are you able to tell which version these are? Not questioning it, but I can’t find on Apple Music where it distinguishes whether it’s blue Ray or hd or neither.

In the mobile version at least, there's an "Apple Digital Master" indicator, which supposedly are better in terms of dynamic range. https://www.apple.com/apple-music/apple-digital-masters/

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4744 on: October 21, 2021, 07:17:02 AM »
[...]but unless you have an ear for dynamic range or own a very high-def stereo system to play music on, it might not matter to most listeners, especially if you stream or listen to music on less-than-professional audio equipment.

I think even the hardest of hearing using £0.99 earbuds would be able to hear the distortion caused by the brickwalling on Baroness's recent releases. The original releases of Vapor Trails and Death Magnetic are aural masterpieces compared to those.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #4745 on: October 21, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »

Highlights:
JP & MM
Minor Complaints:

This feels like a bad sign for me.  Going with the assumption that their playing will be terrific as always, I couldn't give two craps if the playing is better than normal (whatever that even means), the time sigs are more crazy, or any of that other technical nonsense. I want good songs with good, strong melodies.

For what it's worth, I'd strongly dispute the opinion on melodies – strong vocal hooks and melodies have been yielding many repeated listenings for me. Just felt like throwing in another opinion!

Online nikatapi

« Reply #4746 on: October 21, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »
[...]but unless you have an ear for dynamic range or own a very high-def stereo system to play music on, it might not matter to most listeners, especially if you stream or listen to music on less-than-professional audio equipment.

I think even the hardest of hearing using £0.99 earbuds would be able to hear the distortion caused by the brickwalling on Baroness's recent releases. The original releases of Vapor Trails and Death Magnetic are aural masterpieces compared to those.

Indeed, some albums are outright bad. But brickwalling itself is not the sole issue for some albums. For example Six Degrees is pretty brickwalled, but mostly sounds good.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4747 on: October 21, 2021, 07:39:25 AM »

The version I downloaded from Apple Music of the self-titled is significantly better than the cd version I had imported previously. And I mean significant - enough to not only be very likely the HDTracks version, but also one of the best sounding DT albums to me. ADTOE unfortunately sounded the same. I’m in Australia, and can’t imagine it being different in different parts of the world, but just putting it out there…

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4748 on: October 21, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
Album is coming in a few minutes here in our part of the world. Can we discuss spoilers here or do we start another thread?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4749 on: October 21, 2021, 08:28:38 AM »
Good luck, everyone...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4750 on: October 21, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »
Album is coming in a few minutes here in our part of the world. Can we discuss spoilers here or do we start another thread?

I think the album release day deserves a proper thread! this one was dedicated to collect all the info about the writing and release process (and should be preserved as such...)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4751 on: October 21, 2021, 08:41:31 AM »
New thread has been started.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."