Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200818 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7560 on: January 27, 2016, 07:13:22 AM »
In my opinion - A Dramatic Turn Of Events is the best RoadRunner album so far.

I agree...but I think your statement will change soon.

Hence "so far".  :police:

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #7561 on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:55 AM »
Darius is the military Genral who will end up as the real bad guy and try to overthrow Lord Nafa after he welcomes Gabriel music.

spoilers ffs man.. ffs

Its a complete guess man ;D I havent heard the album.

Offline majo

« Reply #7562 on: January 27, 2016, 07:23:22 AM »
so is it basically about 2 brothers a woman and a tragedy?
 ;D
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #7563 on: January 27, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
Darius is the military Genral who will end up as the real bad guy and try to overthrow Lord Nafa after he welcomes Gabriel music.

EDIT:Nvm, realised it might be a spoiler
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline metrojam

« Reply #7564 on: January 27, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
AdToE was good but by the numbers and DT12 was stale. Getting an album now that is so different is refreshing.

I keep hearing this type of statement on the forum. Over and over and over. Do people really think that if they keep saying it, it will come true?

But what part of that statement isn't true?.....I think you'll find that once you've heard the album you will realise that it is SPOT ON!! :)

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #7565 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »
AdToE was good but by the numbers and DT12 was stale. Getting an album now that is so different is refreshing.

I keep hearing this type of statement on the forum. Over and over and over. Do people really think that if they keep saying it, it will come true?

But what part of that statement isn't true?.....I think you'll find that once you've heard the album you will realise that it is SPOT ON!! :)
I'm assuming he referred to the people who call ADTOE by the numbers or DT12 stale, not the latter part about TA.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #7566 on: January 27, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Umm, this about the second video in DT website
Can it be an official Video clip from one of the song in the album?

If yes, then I really love they make Video Clip for Dystopian Overture.
From all review, it said Dystopian Overture is perfect instrumental song to describe future / Dystopian atmosphere in the album
It will be very great to have a video clip of Dystopian Overture, showing all thing that relate to the album, using 3D animation or something, so it can make all of our fantasy come alive when we watch it  :D

That's the vibe I got when I heard this. Just seems like the camera will go from the NOMAC (in Descent) to a pan of the city then go on a flying tour all through the GNE/Ravenskill etc. Definitely seems like certain places have certain themes of music as well as the different characters
Yes !! I love it if DT make 3D animation video that shows us every place in The Astonishing story
It will raise my fantasy and more enjoy the story, because my brain will start to imagine place, vibe & atmospherefor that match with every situation in the story  ;D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7567 on: January 27, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »

I'm assuming he referred to the people who call ADTOE by the numbers or DT12 stale, not the latter part about TA.

You assumed correctly, sir.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7568 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:50 AM »
I'm with you, Podaar.  Opinions are opinions, but calling ADTOE "by the numbers" or DT12 "stale" are pretty empty criticisms that I can't take seriously.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7569 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
I don't think there's anything at all empty about calling ADTOE by the numbers. I happen to strongly agree with that one. On DT12, I wouldn't call it stale, but I find it thoroughly uninteresting aside from a few sections.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7570 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:11 AM »
Yes, but you missed an all-so-important piece of the puzzle.  Since when do I ever take your opinions seriously?

:biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7571 on: January 27, 2016, 08:25:15 AM »
Probably about twice as often as I take yours seriously. ;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7572 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
I really love this place, bosk. I sincerely do.

I'm sure we all know it's just opinions and I understand that the last two albums might not be their thing, but DT12 stale? I'm sure folks can come up with better criticisms.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7573 on: January 27, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
Probably about twice as often as I take yours seriously. ;)

Haha!  Well played.  :clap:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7574 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »

I think it's the best thing since Six Degrees, I like all the albums in between in different variations but ADToE still blows my mind and has become my go-to when I feel like DT since it's release day.
Also the only album that I instantly fell in love with since SFAM, on my first listen I battled with repeating every track or finish listening to the whole album first. I was singing along the chorus to Bridges on my third run through the album!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #7575 on: January 27, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Yes, for sure. Many great songs.

DT12 is good, but it has not aged well. Each year that passes, I listen to it less and less. I still listen to ADTOE a lot.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #7576 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »

EDIT:Nvm, realised it might be a spoiler

If it is then I swear I did not knew this. It just seems like the go-to story arc. And Darius face seriously looks evil, while Nefarius a bit more on the wiser side.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #7577 on: January 27, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
With less than 48 hours until the release, I'm shocked - and thrilled - the album hasn't leaked yet. At least not anywhere I know of. I was too damn weak with ADTOE and DT12 and listened to most songs well ahead of the release dates. Kudos to those working hard to keep this thing off the interwebs so weaklings like me don't ruin our release-day experience!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7578 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »
:nono:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7579 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
I'm hoping bad for some kind of making of video, with the orchestra/choir recording process, JR and JP bouncing music ideas out from each other, arrangements with David Campbell, etc. that would probably be the most interesting making of video DT's ever put out. The best them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #7580 on: January 27, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »
So, The E-Mails from Arhys and Nafaryus was the last update until Release Date?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7581 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
I'm hoping bad for some kind of making of video, with the orchestra/choir recording process, JR and JP bouncing music ideas out from each other, arrangements with David Campbell, etc. that would probably be the most interesting making of video DT's ever put out. The best them.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7582 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »

I dunno, there's still another video that's gonna be released in the website.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #7583 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »

I dunno, there's still another video that's gonna be released in the website.

Yep, and the Places section! And JP said that on the Release Date the lyrics with some explanation for understand the situation, also characters bio will be on the site.

But I just can't wait anymore!  :metal

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #7584 on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
:nono:

Apologies Bosk - my post was definitely anti-leak but please feel free to delete it if it's going to cause any issues!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7585 on: January 27, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
For those interested, The Astonishing would be released in HDTracks on release date:metal Best option for somebody like me who has a hard time accessing physical CDs. I hope DT would post early on their website what is the discount code, I missed the discount for BTFW.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7586 on: January 27, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
For those interested, The Astonishing would be released in HDTracks on release date:metal Best option for somebody like me who has a hard time accessing physical CDs. I hope DT would post early on their website what is the discount code, I missed the discount for BTFW.  :lol

Excellent! In the past the HDTracks release has trailed behind by a decent amount, so a lot of people bought the album twice who would have preferred to only buy the HDTracks version.
Although this time I don't think the HDTracks version is as necessary, since the main benefit was the slightly better master.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7587 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:36 AM »
lol I first read Yanni's album title like 'Yanni - Serious Chill' and I was like 'OMG amazing Yanni album title' but then I was disappointed.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #7588 on: January 27, 2016, 10:25:57 AM »

I hope it was documented.  If there is any release that deserves a making of it's this one.  That being said I'm not counting on it, from the sound of the interview with Eddie Trunk this was a very expensive project so a documentary on top of it would probably break the budget.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7589 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:56 AM »

Excellent! In the past the HDTracks release has trailed behind by a decent amount, so a lot of people bought the album twice who would have preferred to only buy the HDTracks version.
Although this time I don't think the HDTracks version is as necessary, since the main benefit was the slightly better master.

Yep, I think it's more now an option for those who's buying a FLAC/ALAC download rather than an mp3 download or a physical CD.

Offline thosava

« Reply #7590 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
The HDtracks download is unquestionably the best version even if the difference is very small. It will definatly sound better than an mp3 download.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #7591 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
I really love this place, bosk. I sincerely do.

I'm sure we all know it's just opinions and I understand that the last two albums might not be their thing, but DT12 stale? I'm sure folks can come up with better criticisms.  :)

You're quite right, everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them and if "stale" is not the right word to describe DT12, then here's another one that sounds quite similar and to me sums up that album...."sterile" 

Like we say, its all "opinions" but I'm pretty damn sure I won't be using similar words to describe TA though!! :)

Offline YtseJohn

• Whahibrido Pickingant goes to 11
« Reply #7592 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
From Facebook:

HDtracks
26 mins ·
TODAY ONLY, Get 10% off ALREADY REDUCED pricing on every Dream Theater title in the store in celebration of their new album, The Astonishing, available on Friday. Use code DREAMDAY. https://www.hdtracks.com/music/artist/view/id/4386/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7593 on: January 27, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
I'll wait. If the CD is as dynamic as people are saying I don't need it. 

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7594 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
The HDtracks download is unquestionably the best version even if the difference is very small. It will definatly sound better than an mp3 download.

Isn't this the same thing as the FLACs we are supposed to get (have access to download) via the box set purchase?

The Astonishing Digital FLAC Album     
1 x The Astonishing Digital FLAC Album 016861748951   N/A