Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1190703 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
As you all know by now, the new album will be called The Astonishing.  Please post all new album-related info in this thread.

Please DO NOT post anything that has not been officially released by the band or the label.  If you are not sure, ask a mod or me before posting.  Anyone posting unauthorized information, regardless of the source, will be banned until at least the release date--no exceptions.

Unfortunately, while I was away for several hours earlier today, there was some unauthorized information posted in the other thread, and there have been several pages of discussion since then, some of it related, and some of it not, that I do not have the time to wade through.  Because of that, I have to delete that thread.  Please feel free to re-post any and all relevant information (as long is it follows the forum rules, including the ban on leaded information).  Thank you all for your understanding.

(EDIT by ariich, 13 Nov: This includes even POTENTIAL LEAKS. In the run up to album release, jokers always put fake leaks up online, some more obvious than others. From now on, these will be treated the same as real leaks. It's really quite simple - wait for official announcements/releases.)

Now let the discussion, the excitement, and the Astonishing continue...   :metal

https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:05:27 AM by ariich »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
Lucien must be so happy now! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ledlemos08

• Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
Here we go again!  :metal
Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
:bosky:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
So yeah.

Looking forward to this album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
What we know so far :

• Album is most likely a concept. Also *probably* a double album as it looks like there may be 20 tracks total over two "acts".

• No Hugh Syme.

• Petrucci is reportedly producing according to Revolver Mag.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
So where were we?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
Can we post our own suggestions for artwork here ?

https://i.imgur.com/DVemmGk.jpg

^ I really want something along these lines. I love the colours and composition.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
Were we meant to know that certain page (from the band) that offers among other things a partial tracklist?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
The "Presents" is probably gonna stick Kotowboy, I think the final release will say "Dream Theater Presents The Astonishing".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
The "Presents" is probably gonna stick Kotowboy, I think the final release will say "Dream Theater Presents The Astonishing".

I am down with that  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
Were we meant to know that certain page (from the band) that offers among other things a partial tracklist?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »

This. Were we meant to even see that page ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
I will find out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »
Wait, is this about the artwork thing?  If so, it was released into the public domain by the artist.  What's the issue?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

Given that both https://twitter.com/commanderarhys and https://www.twitter.com/emperornafaryus both "tweeted" a link to the real DT site yesterday, I'd say "yes". Since both of those are "official channels"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Ah, ok, they "announced" on Twitter then... like they announced the title on Facebook, but there was no formal news on DT.net; they went from "Tour for the new album" to "The Astonishing most anticipated album".

Anyway, who here plans a blind purchase to enjoy the album all at once? I did it for Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls, and it was great. Didn't download it, didn't hear the single or watched the video, didn't look for snippets, nothing at all. I bought the album and heard it on release day from start to finish.

If I resist the temptation (not illegal temptations... there will be a single I assume, or a promo video) I want to do the same with The Astonishing as well. No single, no clips, just buying the album and listen to the first time from start to finish to the musical sci-fi / fantasy / dystopian / whateverwasintheirmind musical movie they created. I plan to go as far as not going through the booklet before I listen to the songs, wouldn't want to have my eye slip on the last song's ending lyrics and get spoiled, or something  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
I wonder if we would even know the title at this point if it wasn't leaked. I get the not discussing leaked music but artwork and other information seems fair game to me. It's an ambitious marketing campaign and I'm super excited it about but I hope the marketing folks at RR realize it's almost 2015 and once something hits the web it goes everywhere. As cool as this appears to be the only important thing in the end is the quality of the music. If the music sucks, which I'm sure it won't, then everything else is moot.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
I wonder if we would even know the title at this point if it wasn't leaked. I get the not discussing leaked music but artwork and other information seems fair game to me. It's an ambitious marketing campaign and I'm super excited it about but I hope the marketing folks at RR realize it's almost 2015 and once something hits the web it goes everywhere. As cool as this appears to be the only important thing in the end is the quality of the music. If the music sucks, which I'm sure it won't, then everything else is moot.

This guy knows the score.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
I always say I'm not going to listen to the single, but I have confidence that this time I'll make it to release day without hearing a note. I managed it with every release of 2015 so far. I'm also not going to be visiting any album related thread until release day once (or if) the single is released.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »
If I resist the temptation (not illegal temptations... there will be a single I assume, or a promo video) I want to do the same with The Astonishing as well. No single, no clips, just buying the album and listen to the first time from start to finish to the musical sci-fi / fantasy / dystopian / whateverwasintheirmind musical movie they created. I plan to go as far as not going through the booklet before I listen to the songs, wouldn't want to have my eye slip on the last song's ending lyrics and get spoiled, or something  :D

I do this with movies, but haven't ever really done it with music. But since this seems to be such a different take, and a concept album, I might do it this time. We'll see.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »
And this:

And DT13's gonna be a blast. Mark my words.

:D
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

Yes, the title was scheduled to be release a couple of days from when it got leaked, so they just moved the announcement a couple of days.  But as you can tell, the band and label have a pretty elaborate and structured PR campaign planned for the release of info, and they are really proud and excited about it, so let's respect that and not post leaks here.  That is the policy we have ALWAYS followed very strictly at this site out of respect for the band, and we plan to continue that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »

I will find out.

I just got confirmation that that is meant to be released.  Anything appearing on that site is fair game.  Thanks for asking.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
Cool. Cool.

I'm hoping 20 tracks in total . 10 per "side".

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Of course it was meant to be released, they sent emails from both factions and created two twitter accounts, as well as have proper access control on the website which means they can enable/disable whichever page they want on the homepage.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »
This info was not originally posted by me in the other thread but is a good topic so . . .

There is a majesty symbol on the button of Emperor Nafaryus.  It also appears that the back of the NOMAC is similar to the majesty symbol.

I believe someone asked if that means that the band is siding with the Empire.  My guess would be no.  I looked back through all the artwork from previous releases and it appears that they just find creative ways to incorporate it.  IMO they are just doing the same thing here.  We'll have to see if a majesty symbol shows up on the Ravenskill side.

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
Winter is coming, and its gonna be awesome  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
The album will be a metaphor for the control of information and how hard it is to stop information getting out.  :omg:

IT'S ALL PART OF THE PLAN

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:58 PM »
Lucien must be so happy now! ;D

ohyes
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
^ How come ?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
^ How come ?

I asked a few times in the other threads why we had like 5 separate threads about the same thing
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
^ How come ?

I asked a few times in the other threads why we had like 5 separate threads about the same thing

:hifive:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
I am super excited! :caffeine:

I thought of something last night. I think it's likely that there will be a single, but what about a music video? Considering the lengths they're going through to immerse us in the story of this album, it would be awesome to have a music video featuring characters/settings/scenes from the story.