Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1196372 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7700 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:57 PM »
rip whahibrido pickingant guy
palmeiras =/= hadi-persian
oh, i could swear it was the same guy, whoops  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7701 on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Jordan interview about the album..   Interesting that he is saying he is glad he is going to get credit
for this album.   Felt like his contributions weren't noticed on prior albums.   https://www.rockurlife.net/interview/english/dream-theater-04-12-15

It was refreshing to read that.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #7702 on: January 27, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »
One day to go hippies! My stereo is hungry  :mehlin  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7703 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:30 PM »
Quote from: Jordan Rudess
One of the things I value the most is working with John Petrucci in this way because I feel like over the sixteen-year life with Dream Theater a lot of what I've done hasn't been really recognized. Often the music packaging says it has been written by Dream Theater and it's not generally true, John and I always have written the music since I joined the group. The fact that it took so many days to finally write that the music is written by John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, it feels very honest to me and real

There's a bit more of the quote I typed out seeing as you can't copy text from that page. Interesting indeed.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7704 on: January 27, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
My CD is on it's way! Got an email confirmation with tracking this morning. Hoping to get it Friday.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7705 on: January 28, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »
Hey everyone..just wanted to state for those worried... Got my bandcamp money refunded today, so I am going to put it towards the HDtracks since its hopefully not as compressed as the cd.
That's great, glad it got sorted out quickly!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7706 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:30 AM »
My CD just arrived! :metal

Offline erwinrafael

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #7708 on: January 28, 2016, 12:49:54 AM »
Pretty nice and positive review!! I hope that google translate could help you!! I'm so glad that many highlight the performance of JLB in this album...
https://spaziorock.it/recensione.php?&id=dream-theater-the-astonishing-2016

Please Mr Amazon, send me my copy today!!!  :hefdaddy

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #7709 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:37 AM »
It will most likely be in my mailbox today! Can`t wait till I get home from work  :metal :metal
AND - I have the day off tomorrow! Im buying a nice bottle of wine, light some candles and have a private listening party this evening  ;D

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7710 on: January 28, 2016, 01:10:12 AM »
Appart from "wow that's a lot to digest" and that it feels great on first listen, any comment will be pointless until the 3. or 4. spin. Well, maybe yes, it feels so strange and so familiar at the same time.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7711 on: January 28, 2016, 01:25:41 AM »
Mine was dispatched at 4.34am this morning, due for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully I can get out of work early...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7712 on: January 28, 2016, 01:28:47 AM »
Will there be a separate / new thread for those who already got their copies?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7713 on: January 28, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
Is there really a need for it? It is expected that people would be able to get it today, because of mailing and stuff...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #7714 on: January 28, 2016, 02:12:25 AM »

Jordan interview about the album..   Interesting that he is saying he is glad he is going to get credit
for this album.   Felt like his contributions weren't noticed on prior albums.   https://www.rockurlife.net/interview/english/dream-theater-04-12-15

That's a nice interview, funny how Jordan calls Manginis drumming magical. I think both Jordan and John are always very positive about him.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:40:49 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7715 on: January 28, 2016, 02:16:58 AM »
Is there really a need for it? It is expected that people would be able to get it today, because of mailing and stuff...

I am thinking more of because this thread is already hundreds of pages long.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7716 on: January 28, 2016, 02:19:42 AM »
That's a nice interview, funny how Jordan calls Manginis drumming magical. I think both Jordan and John are always very positieve about him.

Well, it is because Mangini's drumming is magical.  :metal Of course, it is a matter of taste.

In 34 minutes, an inhabited place in the world would finally reach January 29. I am hoping that the HDTracks download would already be available by then.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:26:40 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7717 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:18 AM »
Got confirmation that my preorder of the Astonishing has been sent from Ginza... should have it tomorrow  :metal :corn

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7718 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:03 AM »
8:41 PM, only 199 minutes to go in AEST!  :D

Now 10:21, 99 minutes!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:21:24 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #7719 on: January 28, 2016, 05:16:33 AM »
Wowwwwwwww  i heard all the album Last night and Its fantástic,  beautiful, mágical  No doubt in the top with scenes and  six degrees

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #7720 on: January 28, 2016, 05:18:43 AM »

^ Parama, I guess you will be right after all!  :xbones
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Billzo

« Reply #7721 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:43 AM »
Wowwwwwwww  i heard all the album Last night and Its fantástic,  beautiful, mágical  No doubt in the top with scenes and  six degrees

IKR.... just incredible. By no means normal DT... but a breathtaking work of art.

I'm just terrified about the reaction of other fans. It's getting an extremely divided opinion on other forums and a lot of supposed DT fans are being quite harsh. It makes me sad :(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7722 on: January 28, 2016, 05:21:52 AM »

^ Parama, I guess you will be right after all!  :xbones

Hear that whistling sound? That's Mjolnir winding up.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7723 on: January 28, 2016, 05:26:06 AM »

IKR.... just incredible. By no means normal DT... but a breathtaking work of art.

I'm just terrified about the reaction of other fans. It's getting an extremely divided opinion on other forums and a lot of supposed DT fans are being quite harsh. It makes me sad :(
Yeah.. god forbid people dislike a DREAM THEATER album, that's out of this world.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7724 on: January 28, 2016, 05:41:38 AM »
???

But nobody dislikes a DT album. All their albums have been at #1 on the Billboard all day ery day.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #7725 on: January 28, 2016, 05:54:11 AM »
trooper im living in iran. and i can't buy the orginal Disc

Did he call Bosk "trooper" ???  :rollin

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7726 on: January 28, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »
Well, with tomorrow being the big day, now I can finally say it, once again I managed to resist any kind of temptation and earn myself a completely unspoiled listening experience with the new album! No YouTube preview of the songs, no trailer, no doing what we shouldn't do, tomorrow I will get the album and listen to it on Saturday in its full unspoiled glory  :tup

I hope people will accept it for what it is and try to listen to it with an open mind, it would be a pity if people would diss it just because it's something they never did before.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #7727 on: January 28, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
I interpreted what he said as that the album is vastly different than everything the band has done before, and he feels sorry for other fans who may not relate to this direction. Sometimes people in this forum tend to assume the worst interpretation on an ambivalent choice of words, as if he said something like "Oh heavens, it seems like some people don't like this album! This is terrible for DT! Now they won't be on top of Billboard and it matters so much to me!". But it could be just a matter of kinship; a huge fan who feels for other fans who may alienated from the new album hype for the next couple years because this album seems like a vastly different experience.

I can relate to this, it's not particularly fun when it seems like you're the only one enjoying new content in a community of fans you feel attached to (kind of how it feels to me with DT12). Discussions are not as elaborate, etc. No need to be so hostile, IMO.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #7728 on: January 28, 2016, 07:30:44 AM »
https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/27/review-dream-theaters-the-astonishing-will-astonish-the-bands-fans-and-non-fans-alike/

Very funny review... the guy didn´t like DT too much, but he has a pen and a pencil... I mean, he loves The Astonishing.

God, it´s so silly I can´t stop laughing... but it´s good at the same time.  :loser:

4.5 out of 5.

But if you are a DT fan (like all of us), it´s 5 out of 5, and you must buy the album twice!  :rollin
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7729 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
I interpreted what he said as that the album is vastly different than everything the band has done before, and he feels sorry for other fans who may not relate to this direction. Sometimes people in this forum tend to assume the worst interpretation on an ambivalent choice of words, as if he said something like "Oh heavens, it seems like some people don't like this album! This is terrible for DT! Now they won't be on top of Billboard and it matters so much to me!". But it could be just a matter of kinship; a huge fan who feels for other fans who may alienated from the new album hype for the next couple years because this album seems like a vastly different experience.

I can relate to this, it's not particularly fun when it seems like you're the only one enjoying new content in a community of fans you feel attached to (kind of how it feels to me with DT12). Discussions are not as elaborate, etc. No need to be so hostile, IMO.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it, the negative nancies tend to have the loudest voices.  I love DT12.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #7730 on: January 28, 2016, 07:33:28 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I really like DT12, and it still gets regular spins in my rotation. I have no doubt I will enjoy the Astonishing too, because as a fan from the early days, I have found things to like with every album release, just some more than others. But the other thing I have found coming to these boards over the years - I've just learned to take other peoples opinions with a grain of salt. Other peoples opinions mean little to my enjoyment of a particular song or album, so I just don't care that much any more. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, but with things of such a subjective nature, we'll all be different, so I just go for the things that I like and don't lose any sleep over it  :tup

Offline thosava

« Reply #7731 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:57 AM »
I also rediscovered DT12 a couple of weeks ago when i bought the HDtracks version. I remembered i actually really like many of those songs. Great songs: False Awakening Suite, The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture, Surrender to Reason, Along for the Ride and Illumination Theory. I like it a lot more than ADTOE.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7732 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »
Anybody ordered the CD from Amazon? Mine says it will be delivered 8pm Friday which makes it the latest of deliveries of everyone who's ordered the CD online elsewhere.
Also how 's there people saying they already received the CD?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #7733 on: January 28, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
At work, just has confirmation my CD has arrived at home from Roadrunner  :metal

Offline Awaken

« Reply #7734 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
Anybody ordered the CD from Amazon? Mine says it will be delivered 8pm Friday which makes it the latest of deliveries of everyone who's ordered the CD online elsewhere.
Also how 's there people saying they already received the CD?

Mine says the same thing.  Really hoping AutoRip is available tomorrow.  If not I may pick up the digital copy, as well.  I've historically picked up both copies on release day - my first listen begins at midnight