Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1196351 times)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7735 on: January 28, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »
Anybody ordered the CD from Amazon? Mine says it will be delivered 8pm Friday which makes it the latest of deliveries of everyone who's ordered the CD online elsewhere.
Also how 's there people saying they already received the CD?

Is this delivered BY 8pm though? Cos that's a pretty late delivery! Royal Mail as far as I know don't deliver much past 5 and if it's DPD or Interlink they try to deliver as early as possible. Maybe it's with a slow carrier pigeon  ;D

Personally I have ordered from Amazon but with Prime so it should hopefully come early!  :tup

Offline thosava

« Reply #7736 on: January 28, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »
I wonder when it will be available on HDtracks. Some places in the world are already into january 29th.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #7737 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
About that AutoRip, is that an Amazon service? If it is then I guess it will be available from midnight on their Prime Music?

Offline Awaken

« Reply #7738 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
About that AutoRip, is that an Amazon service? If it is then I guess it will be available from midnight on their Prime Music?

I can't remember seeing it before Megadeth's release either, and now that has AutoRip as an option.  Hopefully it's something added on release day.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #7739 on: January 28, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
Ah okay, when I placed my preorder it said it had the AutoRip too and wasn't too sure what it was at the time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7740 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
Anyone here up to making an official hashtag for this to make this a trending topic on twitter? I know it is a long shot, but nothing bad for trying.  :hat
Yes, we should definitely do this.

#TheAstonishing
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #7741 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-astonishing-mw0002900305

Another very good review - 4 out of 5. People at allmusic.com are great reviewers, and Thom Jurek is the second best of the lot, imo.

"Though it may be grandiose to say, like opera, The Astonishing shouldn't be disassembled, but judged holistically. It was planned as an immersive, one-sitting listening experience. As demanding as it is, the story and music are worth the effort. Dream Theater have invested in the "album" concept (and in listeners' attention spans) even as the music biz doubles down on the notion that long-players are merely envelopes to hold singles."

"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #7742 on: January 28, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
Bosk/Noxon or anyone else in the know - JP mentioned that the balance of the microsite, complete with lyrics, etc - will be live on release date. Anyone know if that means by midnight EST tonight? I really want an immersive first experience and am debating whether or not I should stay up late tonight in conjunction with the iTunes release.

Offline Billzo

« Reply #7743 on: January 28, 2016, 08:21:03 AM »
I interpreted what he said as that the album is vastly different than everything the band has done before, and he feels sorry for other fans who may not relate to this direction. Sometimes people in this forum tend to assume the worst interpretation on an ambivalent choice of words, as if he said something like "Oh heavens, it seems like some people don't like this album! This is terrible for DT! Now they won't be on top of Billboard and it matters so much to me!". But it could be just a matter of kinship; a huge fan who feels for other fans who may alienated from the new album hype for the next couple years because this album seems like a vastly different experience.

I can relate to this, it's not particularly fun when it seems like you're the only one enjoying new content in a community of fans you feel attached to (kind of how it feels to me with DT12). Discussions are not as elaborate, etc. No need to be so hostile, IMO.

Thanks mate, this was my train of thought ( \m/ )

I guess I worded it badly, I certainly appreciate everyone's right to like or to not like. Each to their own and all that. What I meant was it was not nice reading spiteful comments from DT fans towards the band as if they are owed what they like and only that, no concern for what other fans may prefer or be open to.

I hope that makes more sense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7744 on: January 28, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-astonishing-mw0002900305

Another very good review - 4 out of 5. People at allmusic.com are great reviewers, and Thom Jurek is the second best of the lot, imo.

"Though it may be grandiose to say, like opera, The Astonishing shouldn't be disassembled, but judged holistically. It was planned as an immersive, one-sitting listening experience. As demanding as it is, the story and music are worth the effort. Dream Theater have invested in the "album" concept (and in listeners' attention spans) even as the music biz doubles down on the notion that long-players are merely envelopes to hold singles."
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7745 on: January 28, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »
The one thing I feel the reviews I read seem to tip toe around is that TA has little to no metal, which I'm okay with, but the tiptoe-ing makes me assume we might be looking at a significant amount of unsatisfied fans, will make for some interesting discussions ahead.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7746 on: January 28, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
Yea I saw something like this on reddit: People who were expecting The Dark Eternal Night pt. 2 will be disappointed.

Well I guess everyone will be disappointed then because who the fuck expected The Dark Eternal Night pt. 2?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7747 on: January 28, 2016, 08:38:17 AM »
I'll be standing at Best Buy at 9 or 10am tomorrow and pick it up (even though I ordered the Box Set from RR) just so I can have it tomorrow in my hands.  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7748 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Yea I saw something like this on reddit: People who were expecting The Dark Eternal Night pt. 2 will be disappointed.

Well I guess everyone will be disappointed then because who the fuck expected The Dark Eternal Night pt. 2?

I really thought Lord Nafaryus was the evil pharaoh. :(
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #7749 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Well, with tomorrow being the big day, now I can finally say it, once again I managed to resist any kind of temptation and earn myself a completely unspoiled listening experience with the new album! No YouTube preview of the songs, no trailer, no doing what we shouldn't do, tomorrow I will get the album and listen to it on Saturday in its full unspoiled glory  :tup

I hope people will accept it for what it is and try to listen to it with an open mind, it would be a pity if people would diss it just because it's something they never did before.

Have you read reviews and stuff like that? some people consider it a spoiler aswell.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7750 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »

:rollin

This made me laugh more than it should have.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #7751 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »

I did...  :-[
Quote from: CDrice on October 22, 2015
Wait! It means we're going to get The Dark Eternal Night Part 2: In The Presence of the Dark Eternal Nightmare of Tuscany!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #7752 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
I just heard back from HD Tracks:

If I know our system, i'm sure they have the album set to go online at 12am tomorrow 1/29/2016.  If the album doesn't appear, wait a few minutes, sometimes it can take time for albums to appear. 

Sincerely,
HDTracks Support Team

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #7753 on: January 28, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »
Anybody ordered the CD from Amazon? Mine says it will be delivered 8pm Friday which makes it the latest of deliveries of everyone who's ordered the CD online elsewhere.

I have; the album is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but it is still marked as "Preparing for shipment" on the orders page. Hopefully, this won't be a repeat of The Book of Souls from last year.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline thosava

« Reply #7754 on: January 28, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »

If I know our system, i'm sure they have the album set to go online at 12am tomorrow 1/29/2016.  If the album doesn't appear, wait a few minutes, sometimes it can take time for albums to appear. 

Sincerely,
HDTracks Support Team

In what timezone?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7755 on: January 28, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
I don't patronize metal heads like that cause it just usually has a reverse effect :lol and also cause I come from a metal background as well and still enjoy a lot of what they enjoy, I've been talking to a "worried metal head" on fb  this morning and seem to have convinced him that something different from DT now would be cool ans refreshing without being condescending.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7756 on: January 28, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »

I have; the album is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but it is still marked as "Preparing for shipment" on the orders page. Hopefully, this won't be a repeat of The Book of Souls from last year.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #7757 on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »

Sincerely,
HDTracks Support Team

In what timezone?

I had asked them, "What time (EST) will "Dream Theater: The Astonishing" be available?"... so Eastern.  :azn:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7758 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
I just got notice that a local store has already the album in stock! See you later dudes  :hat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7759 on: January 28, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »
Goddamnit, Kohler!!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7760 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
I just a got a delivery delay notice from Amazon and it doesn't look like auto rip is available.   :-\

Offline thosava

« Reply #7761 on: January 28, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »
I had asked them, "What time (EST) will "Dream Theater: The Astonishing" be available?"... so Eastern.  :azn:

Okay thanks! Then i wont stay up all night and wait for it  :lol

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #7762 on: January 28, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
Very excited for this.  Mine is on the way from Amazon.  When it says "by 8pm on Friday"  that is the last possible time it will come on that day.  However, it never comes that late.  It should come when UPS or the mail man normally delivers your packages based on their delivery routes.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #7763 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
I am encouraged that there is a little more dynamic range on this CD than other recent releases.  I am sure this is in part due to the style of the new album with less metal sections.  Still, it is more in line with Scenes or Six Degrees whihc is a good thing.  Definitely looking forward to the HD Tracks Version.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=dream+theater&album=

Offline Carlos_7x

« Reply #7764 on: January 28, 2016, 09:59:52 AM »
I just got notice that a local store has already the album in stock! See you later dudes  :hat

You should tell me what local store, since I think we live in México  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline CoT67

« Reply #7765 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »

I really thought Lord Nafaryus was the evil pharaoh. :(
More like the evil Grand Vizier...  :biggrin:
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7766 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »
Darth Visor.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7767 on: January 28, 2016, 10:38:30 AM »
My copy was waiting for me when I arrived home from work, Nomac pin and all.
Hold tight, here we go. :corn

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7768 on: January 28, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
Well, it's New DT Album Eve. I am so ready for this now. Whatever your plans are, I hope you all enjoy it!

Offline JonesyAZ

« Reply #7769 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Agreed!  While I am not sure my CD will arrive tomorrow, I am looking forward to downloading the FLACs and looking at DT's Astonishing website for more content, if necessary.  Hope everyone has an awesome DT Day 2016!
Sometimes I feel like I’m a super model.

But then I realize that I possess none of their qualities. Plus I have no mutant powers.