Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1196639 times)

Offline IdoSC

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7630 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
Mega apologies. Just trying to do what I thought was the right thing by letting this team know.
This is not an official DT site anyways, there's no "team" here.
We are technically not official, but there is certainly a team here, and our team has DT's team on speed dial.  We are as connected to them as could possibly be, both to their management and to members of the band.
Ah, sorry, I meant to say there's not a team of RR copyright ninjas who read the comments here, follow the links for the leaks and strike down the uploads with legal firearm. Of course there's a team here in the sense that you guys are running and managing this forum (and thank you for that), but this is not an official representation of RoadRunner, and your tools essentially boil down to the same tools that specific user to whom I replied has - reporting links back to RR.

(Even though you have them on speed dial :P )

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #7631 on: January 27, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
Yes, but you live in the South.  Where people still use Confederate money.

Maybe that is why DT will not play the south again.  They got paid in confederate money.

All kidding aside, I expect they will make it down south again especially after hearing the tail end of  J Labrie's interview.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline rab7

« Reply #7632 on: January 27, 2016, 01:27:50 PM »

Maybe that is why DT will not play the south again.  They got paid in confederate money.

All kidding aside, I expect they will make it down south again especially after hearing the tail end of  J Labrie's interview.

What did he say?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7633 on: January 27, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
Mega apologies. Just trying to do what I thought was the right thing by letting this team know.
This is not an official DT site anyways, there's no "team" here.
We are technically not official, but there is certainly a team here, and our team has DT's team on speed dial.  We are as connected to them as could possibly be, both to their management and to members of the band.

This right here, is why I think this place is so unique (other than a group of very unique people that have come together because of this band). 

And I hope they make it down South again as well; as much as I like to travel to NYC and DC, another show in Asheville or Charlotte would be easier on the old wallet.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #7634 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Are we allowed to discuss individual tracks?  Mentioned one yesterday without providing a link or where I heard it and mentioned what it reminded me of and I think my post was deleted.  Just want to make sure.  I don;t want to break any rules

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #7635 on: January 27, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »
Are we allowed to discuss individual tracks?  Mentioned one yesterday without providing a link or where I heard it and mentioned what it reminded me of and I think my post was deleted.  Just want to make sure.  I don;t want to break any rules
This is a no-spoiler thread, there is another thread where the title clearly states that you're allowed to write spoilers in it, but that one is intended for people who heard the album legitimately from RoadRunner :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7636 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
No, this is NOT a "no-spoiler" thread.  But, yes, there is a thread for people to post if they heard stuff at one of the listening parties.  So if you heard it at a listening party, you can say that and post there.  If you have a promo copy, you can say that and post here or there.  If neither of the above apply to you, you are not authorized to have heard it, so if you post that you have heard it without clarifying that it is from one of those two types of sources, we will assume you are posting from information learned from a leak, and will take appropriate steps to moderate such posts.
:huckleberry:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7637 on: January 27, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Bosk, seeing as how you have to do all this moderating on spoilerous information and have contact with band management, do you get any sort of advance copy?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7638 on: January 27, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »
I think he said at some point that he got a partial album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7639 on: January 27, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
Dagnabbit
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline thosava

« Reply #7640 on: January 27, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
Nah ,sorry, but the majority of the perceived effect is placebo. People know it's the HDTracks beforehand, so they are convinced it's better.
I completely disagree. The first time I heard samples of the HD version of DT12, I did not know it was the HD version, and it sounded much better...not just because the volume is turned down.

I can hear a relatively large difference even when i adjust the volumes as equal as i can. It's just a lot less straining to listen to, and i can hear more detail.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #7641 on: January 27, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »
:rollin
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #7642 on: January 27, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
I thought this was the official DT forum so can totally understand emtee thought he was doing the right thing in letting you guys know about leaks. Definitely doesn't seem like a guy who'd be trying to promote the actual leak.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7643 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
I thought this was the official DT forum so can totally understand emtee thought he was doing the right thing in letting you guys know about leaks. Definitely doesn't seem like a guy who'd be trying to promote the actual leak.

Yep, definitely not emtee. He also posts in another forum and doesn't stir up stuff. I don't think he was promoting the leak either.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #7644 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
Having JLB on speed dial would have been convenient for a certain activity involving lyrics that took place yesterday.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #7645 on: January 27, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »

Yep, definitely not emtee. He also posts in another forum and doesn't stir up stuff. I don't think he was promoting the leak either.

Chalk me up being behind emtee 100%

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7646 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Nah ,sorry, but the majority of the perceived effect is placebo. People know it's the HDTracks beforehand, so they are convinced it's better.

I completely disagree. HDTracks makes a large difference, the mastering itself is typically different. I don't argue the 24/96hz rate difference as I believe that can be placebo and more often than not people can't tell the difference in the bit and sample rates, but HDTracks can and does make a huge difference. Just listen to DT12 and it's easily noticeable.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7647 on: January 27, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
The MetalSucks video review made me  :lol.

The prospect of "real organ" has got me excited. I assume "real organ" in this case to mean a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Which produces an extraordinary and epic sound. Also, I hope the 2112 comparisons will die down by other elements in the story. Unless it's exactly like 2112 (Priests, guy discovers a guitar in a waterfall cave, you know the drill), it doesn't deserve the dismissive comparisons.

While I'm here too, am I allowed to ask what the first line in the chorus of Moment of Betrayal is? "[unknown]/secret soul [or song?]/moment of betrayal..."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7648 on: January 27, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
The prospect of "real organ" has got me excited. I assume "real organ" in this case to mean a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Which produces an extraordinary and epic sound.
Real Hammond B3 organ too!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7649 on: January 27, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Jordan is known to play with his massive organ from time to time.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #7650 on: January 27, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Screw the album.I want Bosk vs. Hef internal emails. That would be PRICELESS! :metal On that note. This album rules.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7651 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
It's not out yet. How do you know?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7652 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
Jordan is known to play with his massive organ from time to time.
"And in the right hand I've got a massive organ!" :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #7653 on: January 27, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »

What did he say?

The guy conducting the interview mentioned wanting to see the show if DT came to town.  Labrie spoke about the band enjoying the last southern tour and looking forward to coming back.  He basically opened the door to the possibility.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #7654 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
Legally thru proper and official people. I don't nor respect any other way of getting music, film etc. 

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #7655 on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
While I'm here too, am I allowed to ask what the first line in the chorus of Moment of Betrayal is? "[unknown]/secret soul [or song?]/moment of betrayal..."

Blob said it's "Burning rose / Secrets told". I first heard it as "sold", but he said he got it from the official lyrics.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #7656 on: January 27, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
Legally thru proper and official people. I don't nor respect any other way of getting music, film etc.

I agree.  I always buy. (I do listen early on occasions for certain bands that I am really into.)   I always buy the physical releases though.  Not big on digital.  Support bands if you are a fan

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7657 on: January 27, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »

Blob said it's "Burning rose / Secrets told". I first heard it as "sold", but he said he got it from the official lyrics.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #7658 on: January 27, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
so ! now i am listening to the act 1. now im listening A Savior In The Square

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #7659 on: January 27, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
Guys can anyone confirm John's doing an AMA on reddit on the 29th?

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #7660 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
when your time has come time lenghth is 4:19 and in the 4th time u can hear the crowd hands and then playing jordan keyboards.the song start with major chords

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7661 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
so ! now i am listening to the act 1. now im listening A Savior In The Square

Sweet.  Where'd you get it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7662 on: January 27, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
Uh, oh.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #7663 on: January 27, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »
in the 2:44 jp playing solo with wah pedal and use from SUS/Minor and major scales

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #7664 on: January 27, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »

Ohhh, that really clears things up! Thanks a lot, noxon!