Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200883 times)

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7525 on: January 27, 2016, 12:13:09 AM »
It may have already been discussed, but who is talking in Moment of Betrayal? The verses seem to be Arhys and some parts are Gabriel.

I don't hear that call back per se. What I mean is the main riff ever brought back, or especially is the "my brother Gabriel" part ever brought back? Seems too important and epic to just be only used once and so quick.

The chord progression in the guitar solo in MOB is a callback to the guitar solo in TGOM.

How did you make this conclusion?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7526 on: January 27, 2016, 12:22:16 AM »
The chord progression in the guitar solo in MOB is a callback to the guitar solo in TGOM.

Uhm, listening? :) There is a specific distinct chord change there that made me come to that conclusion.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #7527 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:35 AM »

Uhm, listening? :) There is a specific distinct chord change there that made me come to that conclusion.

Yeps, I agree.
More than the chord change it's really a major-mode pharsing/ arpeggio that recalls TGOM
I think it's made on purpose, during the concert videos we might be see Gabriel using his laser sword during the battle..
 :metal
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #7528 on: January 27, 2016, 12:39:30 AM »

The specific chord change you are referring to is just 2 chords that are a 4th apart. E and A. It's a very common change... I don't think that there's a link between the two solos just for this  "similarity" alone..

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7529 on: January 27, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »

Yeps, I agree.
More than the chord change it's really a major-mode pharsing/ arpeggio that recalls TGOM
I think it's made on purpose, during the concert videos we might be see Gabriel using his laser sword during the battle..
 :metal

:lol I think The Astonishing has more of a Shakesperean vibe than Star Wars.

What this album needs is a libretto. Would the CD contain one?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #7530 on: January 27, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »
The vibe I got off of Moment of Betrayal was more Game of Thrones. 'Meet me there and there and we'll kill the bugger'  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7531 on: January 27, 2016, 01:02:02 AM »
The vibe I got off of Moment of Betrayal was more Game of Thrones. 'Meet me there and there and we'll kill the bugger'  ;D

But this one has a heartfelt love story, it would seem, between characters from warring factions. GoT only has lots of sex.  :lol

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #7532 on: January 27, 2016, 01:50:31 AM »
The specific chord change you are referring to is just 2 chords that are a 4th apart. E and A. It's a very common change... I don't think that there's a link between the two solos just for this  "similarity" alone..

Does this occur in the Enemy inside and On the Backs of Angels solos as well? These four solos are similar in my mind for some reason.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #7533 on: January 27, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »

Does this occur in the Enemy inside and On the Backs of Angels solos as well? These four solos are similar in my mind for some reason.

They are in the same key and definitely sharing the same "attitude" and style.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7534 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:30 AM »
Just two more days until we all can start to fight about which CD is better; Act 1 or Act 2.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7535 on: January 27, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
And which of the NOMACS tracks is the best one.

I expect a poll about it, I know someone will do it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7536 on: January 27, 2016, 02:41:11 AM »
Minor thing, but I've just realised that all four characters in each faction have the same relationships:

Main man: Nafaryus / Arhys

His wife: Arabelle / Evangeline

His brother: Daryus* / Gabriel

His child: Faythe / Xander

*I'm 99.9% certain that Daryus is Nafaryus' brother. They look similar, have similar names, and Daryus looks too old to be N's son.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7537 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »
I'm 100% certain that you're wrong on that account.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #7538 on: January 27, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
Umm, this about the second video in DT website
Can it be an official Video clip from one of the song in the album?

If yes, then I really love they make Video Clip for Dystopian Overture.
From all review, it said Dystopian Overture is perfect instrumental song to describe future / Dystopian atmosphere in the album
It will be very great to have a video clip of Dystopian Overture, showing all thing that relate to the album, using 3D animation or something, so it can make all of our fantasy come alive when we watch it  :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:02:01 AM by pringkaarwanda »

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7539 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:28 AM »

Really? He's got wrinkles! Daryus looks in his mid-40s, Nafaryus mid-50s.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #7540 on: January 27, 2016, 03:24:32 AM »
Darius is the military Genral who will end up as the real bad guy and try to overthrow Lord Nafa after he welcomes Gabriel music.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7541 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:41 AM »
Wow, some people on the DT reddit page are already claiming The Astonishing to be in their top 5 all-time favorite albums, this must be a very quick grower  :hat
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #7542 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:24 AM »
Wow, some people on the DT reddit page are already claiming The Astonishing to be in their top 5 all-time favorite albums, this must be a very quick grower  :hat

I wouldn't read too much into that. There are always people who immediately go over the top at every DT new record and proclaim it as their best ever etc after a day or so of release!! hell, some people even said that the horribly weak DT12 was the best ever DT album a day or so after it came out!!
I.M.O. from hearing it just once from that uhmm....naughty stream yesterday, this is going to take many many listens before people are going to be able to come up with any kind of informed and reasoned opinion of just how good TA is.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #7543 on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »
I can't blame them. AdToE was good but by the numbers and DT12 was stale. Getting an album now that is so different is refreshing.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7544 on: January 27, 2016, 05:00:23 AM »
I agree with the sentiment that it'll take a while for the fog of hype to clear and so a while before we get a general consensus. But for me, the impressions were leaning towards strong standout on first listen (to me at least half of DTs albums take this in reverse but grow with familiarity). Dunno how I'll feel about TA after another 10 times or whatever but at least I can still imagine listening to it a lot more in the near future.  :tup

Honestly, it seems good. Like, I'm temped to say this will go straight up there with I&W/SFAM/6DOIT with longevity and lasting appeal aswell, I can relate to where those comments are coming from because this album is an unrestrained DT yet surprisingly well behaved. To me it feels like an album for the fans, because it really has a bit of everything. I can't see myself recommending it to non-fans or anyone that isn't already at least slightly into DT.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #7545 on: January 27, 2016, 05:17:59 AM »
I think it's just going to be very polarizing. If the concept makes you cringe, you don't like other grandiose rock operas, or you're just looking for individual songs to appreciate out of this experience, you probably will be highly dissatisfied. If you fully embrace the cheese and like a big musical "adventure", a focus on melodies, delivery and vocals over notes per second and such, you're gonna LOVE this one.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7546 on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:52 AM »
Strong suggestion:

Since I can't un-hear what what was illegally posted on Bandcamp yesterday, and saying this without giving anything away...

For those of you who are very passionate about music I strongly suggest you listen to this album for the first time in a quiet
place where you can allow yourself to focus entirely on what unfolds. The album deserves this kind of treatment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7547 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:55 AM »

Really? He's got wrinkles! Daryus looks in his mid-40s, Nafaryus mid-50s.

I have not read all of the tweets/e mails, etc..from the characters, but IIRC, didn't Nefaryus refer to Daryus as his son, perhaps even calling him a prince?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7548 on: January 27, 2016, 05:36:55 AM »
That's actually the one thing that worries me. Is that there will be a lot of people having heard it from environments that won't allow for attentive listening which I actually think is practically essential to fully appreciate. But, at the end of the day, people will digest it how they will, and the music has to speak for itself from all points of view.

It's kind of amusing for me, I literally listened to the first disc in a candle lit room last night by myself (power outtage that turned out to be the perfect excuse) and I still feel like I need a more focused listen. But yeah, the power cut out last night and I'd luckily just put the album on my phone that arvo for listening at work, so grabbed headphones and went into space for about an hour. I would say take a break if you're not feeling it or getting a bit fatigued though. I took about a 24 hour break between Disc 1 and 2 (didn't mean for it to be that long but it didn't matter).

Oh yeah, that plan I had to listen to it in bits at work. Glad I didn't do that. XD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:43:18 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7549 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »
Strong suggestion:

Since I can't un-hear what what was illegally posted on Bandcamp yesterday, and saying this without giving anything away...

For those of you who are very passionate about music I strongly suggest you listen to this album for the first time in a quiet
place where you can allow yourself to focus entirely on what unfolds. The album deserves this kind of treatment.

I plan to go on a long walk with it in headphones. Unless it's pissing down with rain then i'll stay indoors.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #7550 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
Strong suggestion:

Absolutely agree with that. I would also add... approach it in the most open-minded way possible. Enjoy it for what it is. It'll be quite a ride.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7551 on: January 27, 2016, 05:43:46 AM »

I wouldn't read too much into that. There are always people who immediately go over the top at every DT new record and proclaim it as their best ever etc after a day or so of release!! hell, some people even said that the horribly weak DT12 was the best ever DT album a day or so after it came out!!
I.M.O. from hearing it just once from that uhmm....naughty stream yesterday, this is going to take many many listens before people are going to be able to come up with any kind of informed and reasoned opinion of just how good TA is.
Pretty much agree with all this. People proclaiming it to be the best thing ever or, indeed, a massive disappointment already are either jumping way ahead of themselves or are the types to make snap judgements. But it definitely seems as though this is going to an album/musical/whatever that takes time to sink in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7552 on: January 27, 2016, 05:47:12 AM »

This was exactly my plan all along, a full unspoiled immersion in the world of the album, without hearing anything beforehand. In two days this will finally happen! (actually 3, friday I work and then I go out and I don't have 2 hours and counting of free time, I'd rather wait one more day than listen to just 3-4 songs)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7553 on: January 27, 2016, 05:47:25 AM »
Let's hope this time that more people go from the negative to the positive side than the other way round.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #7554 on: January 27, 2016, 06:27:06 AM »
Umm, this about the second video in DT website
Can it be an official Video clip from one of the song in the album?

If yes, then I really love they make Video Clip for Dystopian Overture.
From all review, it said Dystopian Overture is perfect instrumental song to describe future / Dystopian atmosphere in the album
It will be very great to have a video clip of Dystopian Overture, showing all thing that relate to the album, using 3D animation or something, so it can make all of our fantasy come alive when we watch it  :D

That's the vibe I got when I heard this. Just seems like the camera will go from the NOMAC (in Descent) to a pan of the city then go on a flying tour all through the GNE/Ravenskill etc. Definitely seems like certain places have certain themes of music as well as the different characters

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7555 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »
AdToE was good but by the numbers and DT12 was stale. Getting an album now that is so different is refreshing.

I keep hearing this type of statement on the forum. Over and over and over. Do people really think that if they keep saying it, it will come true?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7556 on: January 27, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »
In my opinion - A Dramatic Turn Of Events is the best RoadRunner album so far.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7557 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
Darius is the military Genral who will end up as the real bad guy and try to overthrow Lord Nafa after he welcomes Gabriel music.

spoilers ffs man.. ffs
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #7558 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:42 AM »
In my opinion - A Dramatic Turn Of Events is the best RoadRunner album so far.

I agree...but I think your statement will change soon.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7559 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:08 AM »

Everything about this album gives me a GoT vibe actually.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.