Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200708 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7490 on: January 26, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
At this point I'm anticipating finding out what the clickable eyes of the NOMACS do more than listening to the album.

Haha, something to ask to DT in future interviews.

Meanwhile on FB...... Petruci trolls us all showing off his copy of The Astonishing  :P

Not touching, can't get mad  :biggrin:

Offline boogity

« Reply #7491 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
Forgot I had an account here and have mainly just been lurking.

But thinking about the last locked video, wouldn't it be awesome if it was a 2 hour companion video to the album.
Not sure if this has been discussed but ever since I had that thought, I hope that will exist in the future if thats not what the video is.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #7492 on: January 26, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »

But thinking about the last locked video, wouldn't it be awesome if it was a 2 hour companion video to the album.
Not sure if this has been discussed but ever since I had that thought, I hope that will exist in the future if thats not what the video is.

That would be amazing but I kinda doubt it.
But then what do we think it will be anyway, behind the scenes? Very unlikely. Another trailer? Hope not. Another visual companion? Could be cool!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #7493 on: January 26, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.
Well, clearly their systems weren't adequate at preventing this from happening, so I don't think they're entirely blameless. That said, their response time seems to have been very quick, which I'll give them credit for!

We shall see how quick their response time is to give me my money back.  Ive already filed a paypal dispute.  Man I cant believe I got scammed!
It's an interesting point, I don't know how refunds work with digital downloads. I mean, you presumably did get the mp3s, you just (accidentally) got them from an illegal source. It's not like you can give them back or anything.
That's what I was thinking.

the sale was an act of fraud, and the people who bought did so under false pretenses...I'd think that is pretty good ground for reversing the transaction, even though the purchaser has the mp3s.

Also, the money has to go somewhere...either the site gives it to the fraudsters anyway (bad look for the site, as it incentives the behavior, and might even be illegal), the site keeps it (again, bad look for the site, as they would be profiting off of illegal use of their site), or the $ is refunded to the purchaser.  If I'm the site, I'm falling all over myself to give refunds.

Not really fraud to the people who bought the MP3 of the album as I assume they received an MP3 of the album. People got what they paid for. DT/Roadrunner have a legitimate beef as someone has sold their album without permission.

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #7494 on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
I just want friday to get here. I know that Amazon is shipping mine tomorrow. So i know i will get it on the 29th. :metal :tup

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #7495 on: January 26, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
Only a matter of time guys, only a matter of TIME  :metal I can almost hear it playing on my stereo   :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7496 on: January 26, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
I just want friday to get here. I know that Amazon is shipping mine tomorrow. So i know i will get it on the 29th. :metal :tup

Mine is shipping tomorrow too. I'm not gonna count on getting it on the 28th. I have Spotify if it's not here by Friday.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7497 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »

That would be amazing but I kinda doubt it.
But then what do we think it will be anyway, behind the scenes? Very unlikely. Another trailer? Hope not. Another visual companion? Could be cool!

In the email RR sent out about the delay for the box sets, they said this:

"In anticipation of the custom box set we plan to do everything we can to make this delay up to you by providing you with exclusive content and looks inside The Astonishing album, on a monthly basis."

So maybe there's something to this, unless we box set "buyers" truly get "exclusive content" that others can't access (at least directly).  Not sure what they're talking about, but still looking forward to Friday!! 

Offline volwrath

« Reply #7498 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »

Not really fraud to the people who bought the MP3 of the album as I assume they received an MP3 of the album. People got what they paid for. DT/Roadrunner have a legitimate beef as someone has sold their album without permission.
I didnt get my mp3 as I was at work at the time.
Im sure I will get my refund, especially since I bought through paypal.  I had even cancelled my amazon order as it was advertising flacs too. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:51:15 PM by volwrath »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7499 on: January 26, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
I hope I also get mine.
My only issue in case I have to depend on Spotify to hear it, are the lyrics and their accuracy.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #7500 on: January 26, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
I wish some interviewer would Ask James how long it takes him to memorize the lyrics. 
It has to be really hard to memorize the lyrics to a double album.   When James gets old
maybe he will start using a teleprompter like he alluded to in the metalsucks podcast.

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #7501 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
So just got a second email from RR this time stating that the vinyls will also be delayed as well. This makes me sad, I wanted those on friday.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:06:19 PM by Laughing_man923 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7502 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:24 PM »
I wish some interviewer would Ask James how long it takes him to memorize the lyrics. 
It has to be really hard to memorize the lyrics to a double album.   When James gets old
maybe he will start using a teleprompter like he alluded to in the metalsucks podcast.

I don't think it's that difficult when you spend a significant amount of time laying down the vocals in the studio then rehearsing it for the tour.  I'm personally more amazed that JP knows all the guitar solos, but at the same time, it's still the same thing.  These guys play it so much that it's easy to memorize it.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #7503 on: January 26, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »

I don't think it's that difficult when you spend a significant amount of time laying down the vocals in the studio then rehearsing it for the tour.  I'm personally more amazed that JP knows all the guitar solos, but at the same time, it's still the same thing.  These guys play it so much that it's easy to memorize it.

That is all very true. Also, if you're of a very musical mind, it can be very easy to memorize because it's something you're good at and connect with easily, in addition to spending lots of time with it and loving it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7504 on: January 26, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
You'd be amazed by the amount of things your brain can learn.
While I don't sing, I always encourage people who sing in my bands not to memorize the lyrics, but "learn" them, put themselves in the character's shoes. I got the firm belief that if you feel what you sing, you don't have to memorize anything, it just flows through, the same with other instruments.

James appears to do this very very well, that's why I admire him, not many singers in the musical scene do that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)"
« Reply #7505 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »
Actual quote from JP ; " and the fans always request these songs like octavarium - I don't even know it anymore. I'd have to relearn it to play it now."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7506 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure Petrucci can't play shit from LTE now.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #7507 on: January 26, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
Remember when Jordan made that video where he plays a song and talks the same time?
I wonder if he could play the entire Astonishing show while giving a running commentary.
They could put it on the dvd.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7508 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:35 PM »
Remember when Jordan made that video where he plays a song and talks the same time?
I wonder if he could play the entire Astonishing show while giving a running commentary.
They could put it on the dvd.
I do remember that! It was some kind of independence exercise. He was playing different rhythms in each hand and talking about his day, I believe.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7509 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »
I bet the eyes do nothing and are not actually clickable after all.

They are coded as buttons, they just currently link to nothing. That would be a hell of a troll. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7510 on: January 26, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
I bet the eyes do nothing and are not actually clickable after all.

They are coded as buttons, they just currently link to nothing. That would be a hell of a troll. :lol

Hey Blob. Check out my stupid sludge . link in the Kinginese thread.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7511 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
Everytime you click it, Ramsey scores a goal.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7512 on: January 26, 2016, 07:32:21 PM »
Actual quote from JP ; " and the fans always request these songs like octavarium - I don't even know it anymore. I'd have to relearn it to play it now."
He said a similar quote during some clinics in 2012. Right after he played The Dance of Eternity, someone asked him if that was in the setlist and he said "Yeah. I wouldn't know how to play it right now if we weren't playing it on tour."

I'm sure when they decide what songs to play on a certain tour, each member goes through the motions to be able to play their parts whether they need to re-learn stuff or not.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #7513 on: January 26, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »
He said a similar quote during some clinics in 2012. Right after he played The Dance of Eternity, someone asked him if that was in the setlist and he said "Yeah. I wouldn't know how to play it right now if we weren't playing it on tour."

I'm sure when they decide what songs to play on a certain tour, each member goes through the motions to be able to play their parts whether they need to re-learn stuff or not.

Not surprising in the slightest, given how complex their music is, and how large their catalog is.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #7514 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:50 PM »
Question for those who've heard the album....is there ever a call back to anything from TGOM? Seems like there would be.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #7515 on: January 26, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
Question for those who've heard the album....is there ever a call back to anything from TGOM? Seems like there would be.

There is one in Moment of Betrayal, although it's brief. Can't say for the rest of the album obviously.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7516 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
It may have already been discussed, but who is talking in Moment of Betrayal? The verses seem to be Arhys and some parts are Gabriel.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7517 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
Still Tuesday, still fuckin Tuesday.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #7518 on: January 26, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
It may have already been discussed, but who is talking in Moment of Betrayal? The verses seem to be Arhys and some parts are Gabriel.

I don't hear that call back per se. What I mean is the main riff ever brought back, or especially is the "my brother Gabriel" part ever brought back? Seems too important and epic to just be only used once and so quick.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7519 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »
My question was unrelated to yours.  :lol

I was just wondering who is talking in Moment of Betrayal
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7520 on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

Up to 1:35 - Gabriel. Afterwards - Arhys.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7521 on: January 26, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »

Up to 1:35 - Gabriel. Afterwards - Arhys.

Oh, now it makes sense. I was sure the first verse was Arhys setting Gabriel up and lying about Noise Machines being still this night, but I couldn't place the "you are acting very strange" part.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #7522 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:36 PM »

i think there is one in A New Beginning

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7523 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:23 PM »

There probably is, but if so it's subtle. There are some themes that reappear throughout the album in various forms, (Brother, Can You Hear Me is one example I can remember) but I can't remember anything from TGOM. I don't even think it shows up in either overture.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7524 on: January 26, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »

I don't hear that call back per se. What I mean is the main riff ever brought back, or especially is the "my brother Gabriel" part ever brought back? Seems too important and epic to just be only used once and so quick.

The chord progression in the guitar solo in MOB is a callback to the guitar solo in TGOM.