Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 200022 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #945 on: February 15, 2020, 07:46:45 AM »
:hug: Sweat out the bad vibes, buddy. On my way to the gym shortly myself.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #946 on: February 15, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
:hug: Sweat out the bad vibes, buddy. On my way to the gym shortly myself.

Just double dipped.... 15 minutes of HIIT; 30 minutes on the bike while playing HZD.

Gonna try and do some lifting later tonight, maybe during the first period of the Leafs game.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: February 15, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
It must be really difficult if going to the basement to work out brings up abandonment fears from your wife. At least some of those things you want to do (watch sports, play video games) can kind of be done while working out (as I watch the PSU bball game on the bike). Getting started is definitely the hardest part so if you can just get that initial push then its smooth sailing.

Weighing in this morning at 190lbs  :omg: I've been pushing myself so hard this week on the bike and seeing the results.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: February 15, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
It must be really difficult if going to the basement to work out brings up abandonment fears from your wife. At least some of those things you want to do (watch sports, play video games) can kind of be done while working out (as I watch the PSU bball game on the bike). Getting started is definitely the hardest part so if you can just get that initial push then its smooth sailing.

Weighing in this morning at 190lbs  :omg: I've been pushing myself so hard this week on the bike and seeing the results.

Abandonment not in the sense that I'm literally going to abandon her, but rather that she's being left alone... she's not worthy enough for me to prioritize her over something else.  It's completely irrational, and to some extent she knows it too - and it's not just the working out issue... it was anything that I did of my own interests.  It's not terribly bad nowadays.  She knows that these things keep me mentally strong, but the underlying guilt is still there sometimes (sometimes of my own doing; sometimes coming from her)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: February 15, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »
Yea, that's a hard balance.  I know you are in great shape though so it's not like you need to hit the gym, but I get the idea of "me time" and how it's important.  Sometimes that me time is working out which helps lots of other things too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: February 15, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
Thanks Marc.  I’m not exactly sure I’d consider myself in “great” shape ... but I’m getting there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: February 16, 2020, 03:05:03 AM »
On the topic of mental fitness, as most know, I've battled various degrees of depression for a long time (not even realizing it in my teens and 20s).  I've had it under control for a few years now, but the past 2 weeks I've been in a bit of a malaise.  Had a great workout 2 weeks ago, which wiped me out for a couple of days (that was fine).  But then life and work/family priorities consumed pretty much all of my disposable time.  Now I'm in the 'fuckit' mindset.  I just gotta force myself to get changed into my workout clothes, and head downstairs - I'm lucky that way, that my gym only takes about 30 seconds to get to.  I ALWAYS feel better during and after it, it's just a matter of getting my mindset to get there.  There's just so many demands (both discretionary and non-discretionary) on my time, I'm torn all to hell about what I want to do... read  (there's a lot I've got backlogged - comics, new books, old books, articles...?  Game (I've got 6 that I haven't even touched yet)?  Watch TV/movies I'm backlogged on?  Self-help stuff I've had saved for months that I want/need to get to?  Watch concert DVDs?  Watch Leafs/Raptors?  Ugh.

Doesn't help that I'm riddled with guilt anytime I take time to do something for myself... due to the years of mrs.jingle (both passively and outright) getting upset when I'm not spending 'enough' time with her (or the jingle.kids when they were younger) - basically, anytime to myself is not time with her, and has often triggered her issues with abandonment.  It's part of the reason that I get up at 6am on weekends - it's the only time I feel guilt-free when doing something exclusively for myself.

There's a few other things tugging at my mental state as well, but nothing I care to discuss to the group at large at the moment. 

Anyway, I'm gonna get changed and head downstairs shortly... time to get back on the horse.

Let's all be in the fuckit mindset together!  :metal

Seriously though, head up bud.  Yeah that's tough with the misses too mate.  I went through that with mine a few years back for a long time.  The jealousy whenever I did something on my own was real.  I got to a point I just called her on it, and I've made her realise and we've communicated heavily over time to get these issues out of the way. It took a while but she's cool now. Your situation is a little different I know and can understand what you're saying.  Keep training mate, and I'm sure the feelings will pass soon enough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: February 16, 2020, 04:27:44 AM »
Don't get me wrong boys, things are mostly good now with mrs.jingle in this regard.  There was just a long period (as you eluded to Kade) where it was pretty bad.  The result is that much of the guilt I feel is of my own doing.  Very rarely is there any issue with/from her.  Back on the topic of health/fitness now .... Last night after dinner, had a great 50-minute chest/tri/shoulder session.  Hadn't done that routine in literally a month (Jan 15th according to my log), and most of the lifts were heavier or higher rep counts.  I was quite stunned.  This morning... coffee-yoga in 90 minutes.  Prolly try to get on the bike/treadmill later with mrs.jingle.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #953 on: February 16, 2020, 05:49:09 AM »
Chad, women are fucked. It's weird that you mention "abandonment", because from here, you seem to do quite a lot of things that would never fly in my house, like travelling for work, or um....going to Atlanta with some DTF dudes for a weekend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: February 16, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »

:2metal:

I got in a good session this morning. More yoga followed by an extended weight session for core and chest. I finished with four strip-sets of chest fly. Not bad after 50 total push-ups of various types. I'm feeling pretty good and should have enough energy for treadmill work this afternoon while reading. I'm not really seeing any results as far as the scale goes (I've been stuck at the same weight for four weeks now) but I am feeling stronger and get through my exercises easier each time...which is the most important thing for me, really.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #955 on: February 16, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Not to turn this into an advice-about-dealing-with-people thread, but issues with "abandonment" usually come from projecting your issues on your partner. If she doesn't afford herself nice alone time and instead "donates" most of her surplus to you and the kids, she will get pissed because you afford yourself some nice alone time, and since it can't be her problem (because nice alone time is a good thing to have, so the only reason how a human being can convince themselves not to have more of it is that somehow they're a bad person/parent/spouse if they do), it has to be that you afford yourself too much. The other reason could be about the quality of your together time. My husband and I had a phase where we would just watch a lot of TV on the weekends together, and I swear, the second he would switch off from spending time with me doing that to participate in his constructive and scheduled and enriching hobby, I would feel alone and jealous, because the gargantuan amount of time we just spent still wasn't as constructive, scheduled and enriching. The second problem is much, much easier to solve. The first one, I wouldn't know how to solve without being patronizing about explaining to an adult that it's okay to have alone time, as much as you want, and unapologetically demand it and spend it in a great way and not just stressing about when it's gonna be over.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: February 16, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
Chad, women are fucked. It's weird that you mention "abandonment", because from here, you seem to do quite a lot of things that would never fly in my house, like travelling for work, or um....going to Atlanta with some DTF dudes for a weekend.

I think this is the key point we all should just take out of this discussion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: February 16, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »
Not to turn this into an advice-about-dealing-with-people thread, but issues with "abandonment" usually come from projecting your issues on your partner. If she doesn't afford herself nice alone time and instead "donates" most of her surplus to you and the kids, she will get pissed because you afford yourself some nice alone time, and since it can't be her problem (because nice alone time is a good thing to have, so the only reason how a human being can convince themselves not to have more of it is that somehow they're a bad person/parent/spouse if they do), it has to be that you afford yourself too much. The other reason could be about the quality of your together time. My husband and I had a phase where we would just watch a lot of TV on the weekends together, and I swear, the second he would switch off from spending time with me doing that to participate in his constructive and scheduled and enriching hobby, I would feel alone and jealous, because the gargantuan amount of time we just spent still wasn't as constructive, scheduled and enriching. The second problem is much, much easier to solve. The first one, I wouldn't know how to solve without being patronizing about explaining to an adult that it's okay to have alone time, as much as you want, and unapologetically demand it and spend it in a great way and not just stressing about when it's gonna be over.

Good post.  And just ignore the above post too.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:58:34 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: February 16, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
My Sunday run yesterday was a tough one.  8km (bout 5 miles) at around 9am in 32 degree (90F) weather.  Wiped me out for the rest of the day.  I can't seem to up my speed though.  My times always vary around the same give or take.  I go okay considering 2 years ago I couldn't run a couple hundred metres but it's hard to progress.  Probably something I just need to do more of.  I think once the cooler weather sets in it will be a perfect time to try and up my speed and distances.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: February 16, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
….

Good post.  And just ignore post above post too.  :biggrin:

:lol

Just edited my stuff up there, but yeah, didn't see who posted before I posted that.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: February 16, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
@ Milena ... good post indeed. I’ll probably defer further thoughts in the matter for the marriage advice thread.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: February 18, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
So since I've been biking so much and doing so just about every single day in 2020, my legs I've noticed are getting a bit tight.  So I've been doing lots of stretching, before and after biking and usually when I wake up as well.  It got me to thinking about Podaar and his yoga.  Are there any stretches or poses (I know little of yoga other than doing some basics in high school 17 years ago) that you can recommend for my legs?  Question is generally for everyone too, just think Podaar is the only one who has been commenting about doing yoga.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: February 18, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
There are quite a number of great leg stretching yoga poses. One is even called runner's pose.

Triangle, reverse triangle, crescent, warrior, warrior 2 and reverse warrior are all good stretches but are also leg strengtheners.

Many of the floor poses are terrific for leg stretch, like the classic poses at the bottom of Sun Salutations; upward dog and downward dog. When you're in a downward dog pose you can alternate bending one knee while straitening the opposite leg for a great calf stretch. Frog pose is good for your groin and hips but be careful with them and be sure to learn how to get out of that pose safely. Cobbler pose, and happy baby are great for glute stretches.

There's probably a shitload more that I don't know about either.

Edit: I found a decent link for leg poses. One of my favorites is number eight on this list.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: February 18, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »
Awesome ass, I mean information  :biggrin:

Seriously, that's exactly what I was looking for.  That link shows lost of stretches I was pretty much doing but not exactly like they show (with regards to arm and head positioning) so this is a good guide for me.  Thank you

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 18, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
^ Actually, that's Runners Stretch.  ;)  Runners Lunge for the lay person

Yoga is great for general aches and stiffness - I've noticed very big difference since getting back to yoga 1x per week.  I do the p90x Yoga routine (just did it Sunday).  Protip, DO NOT do it the day after chest/tris/shoulders.  Man those upward/downward dogs and sun salutations were rough.

Here's a playlist of a guy I follow religiously (I've bought 3 of the programs, and have dozens of his vids bookmarked).  This i JUST for stretching.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYKx_vtjw-c&list=PL3Zxn-F8KGLfVNJamhfTTb6-TJnlFKDFz.  I use a bunch of these as well.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: February 18, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »
 :facepalm:

Oh, shit. Chad is correct.  :blush

Still, I prefer runner's stretch (even though I can't go nearly as low as that young lady).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: February 18, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
I like the pictures better than the video  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: February 18, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
Stretching?!  Pffft.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: February 18, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »
Still, I prefer runner's stretch (even though I can't go nearly as low as that young lady).

Me too... I can get my elbow about 60% of the way down.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #970 on: February 18, 2020, 04:59:10 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: February 18, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
Were you ever 'in'?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: February 18, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
 :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: February 18, 2020, 06:11:00 PM »

I would put a Tool, Stinkfist reference in right here, but there's no point.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: February 18, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 19, 2020, 05:52:10 AM »

I would put a Tool, Stinkfist reference in right here, but there's no point.  :lol

:lol

Stretching?!  Pffft.....

Wait until you get old, man. You won't be laughing then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: February 19, 2020, 07:36:39 AM »
Stretching?!  Pffft.....

Wait until you get old, man. You won't be laughing then.

Old nuthin... as you know, once ya hit 40, it's like a light switch.  Injuries, aches, pains and general annoyances simply do not resolve themselves as quickly as they once pre 40.  Hell, there are times I need to stretch just for going on a long car drive. :lol

:|

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: February 19, 2020, 07:54:01 AM »
It took me 2 weeks to get over a light cold, I'm 35 but man do I feel old at times.

I've never really thought about stretching, but at the same time, I've never felt such tightness in my legs likely because I've never biked so much for so long now.  Now "I get it"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #978 on: February 19, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
Stretching is great. If you don't have one, pick yourself a good foam roller and a tennis ball as well. Really roll out them super tight spots. Hurts so good (c'mon baby, make it hurt so good)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: February 19, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
Stretching is great. If you don't have one, pick yourself a good foam roller and a tennis ball as well. Really roll out them super tight spots. Hurts so good (c'mon baby, make it hurt so good)

Oh yeah... foam rollers are gloriously evil.