Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192334 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #805 on: January 16, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
I have some awesome news I am dying to share but can't for the time being, but let's just say I have found the biggest motivator I've had - ever - to work harder than ever in the gym. I've got most of the year to do it. Every night this week I've hit the gym for a couple hours, mostly cardio, and I was doing well in December too, so I'm on the upswing. Also since the start of the year I've forced myself to do 10 pushups and situps every time I lose a match in Smash Bros. which has made me a very sore but happy person  :lol

Why can't you share?

I'm not at liberty to discuss freely yet, just trust me... it's awesome, and if I look good, it'll be that much cooler. :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: January 16, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
I have some awesome news I am dying to share but can't for the time being, but let's just say I have found the biggest motivator I've had - ever - to work harder than ever in the gym. I've got most of the year to do it. Every night this week I've hit the gym for a couple hours, mostly cardio, and I was doing well in December too, so I'm on the upswing. Also since the start of the year I've forced myself to do 10 pushups and situps every time I lose a match in Smash Bros. which has made me a very sore but happy person  :lol

Why can't you share?

I'm not at liberty to discuss freely yet, just trust me... it's awesome. :corn

You don't say!   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: January 16, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »
 :hat

In due time... the tease will be worth it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: January 16, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Are you going to be a stripper during a performance at progpower?  :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: January 16, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
Are you going to be a stripper during a performance at progpower?  :hat

Damn it, Marc, now you've spoiled the surprise.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
 :lol ill make sure to have the camera rolling

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #811 on: January 16, 2020, 02:09:36 PM »
On the subject of diet and fitness, my recent journey has reinforced that approach in unexpected ways. As you may recall, my motivation for the radical change in my diet was to climb down from the brink of type 2 diabetes. I just wanted my A1c's scores to go down...and they did. Dramatically. In the process I also shed 35 lbs in roughly four months (I'm currently down 40 lbs from where I began). I've had many positive feelings about the weight loss that wasn't my goal but has been a pleasant surprise.

The biggest surprise has been this past week though. I set some pretty modest workout goals involving yoga and weight lifting and exceeded them almost immediately! In order to get that "pleasant soreness" that (I assume) we all shoot for, I've really had to increase the number of yoga poses and double the length of time I hold said poses. As for the lifting, I've had to increase the reps and weight on nearly every set. Now, I've gone through all this before (about 10 years ago) and I really found it difficult to get this kind of progress when I started out at my heavy weight. I was forced to have way more drive and discipline than I do now. I attribute the ease, and commensurate enjoyment, of getting back into exercise directly to not having to fight against the extra body fat! My balance and endurance has been a huge surprise. I'm excited to improve them further.

I'm only sharing my journey to be part of the group here. Not to convince anyone of "my way", so take it with a grain of salt. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have found an eating philosophy that suits me to a tee and that I find enjoyable. Northern Lion, I truly hope you can find something similar.

Oh, and Wolfy, I've discovered that if I immediately eat a significant portion of protein and fat, generously salted, I bounce back pretty quickly from post workout exhaustion. Maybe 10 minutes. My energy throughout the day hasn't been significantly effected...that I can tell.

Very motivating story!  I don't have diabetes as far as I know (I do get checked every few years) but my Dad does, and several of my uncles do and my grandparents did. Not to mention plenty of heart attacks on that side of the family as well.  So I'm staring down that gun barrel.

When I began last year with a sugar fast, I had finally got sick and tired of what I had allowed myself to become.  My wife is still in good shape even after having all our kids.  All the while I just kept getting fatter and fatter.  I've been disgusted with myself for several years.

I was very disapointed with my failure last year, but after a few months I got back up and started a different approach.

I really want my wife and kids to be proud of me.

I really hope I can stay motivated this time.  So far I have really liked the jogging and I know it's doing something because I am feeling sore (the good kind)

"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: January 16, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
I've been disgusted with myself for several years.

I was very disapointed with my failure last year

There's your motivation right there mate.  Give yourself no other option but success.  I think you're in the position now where you just need to stop overthinking everything.  Just dig in mate, fire up and get it done.  You've made a good start, don't give yourself the option to fail again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #813 on: January 16, 2020, 04:19:30 PM »
I've been disgusted with myself for several years.

I was very disapointed with my failure last year

There's your motivation right there mate.  Give yourself no other option but success.  I think you're in the position now where you just need to stop overthinking everything.  Just dig in mate, fire up and get it done.  You've made a good start, don't give yourself the option to fail again.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: January 19, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
After week 2 I've adjusted pretty well with the diet.  Although, I can't help myself on the weekend.  I've cut back on the sugar I would eat on the weekend however significantly.  Replacing Ben and Jerry with Halo Top, replacing cakes and things like that with protein bars, replacing large frappes with cream with a simple almond latte, although a few chocolates still creep in.  Nevertheless, my swim was great on the weekend, but the run yesterday was very tough.  Better than the week before but still hard.

I found myself dropping around half a kg again this week like last week.  I do think a bit of this is still water and body fat as my strength last week was solid.  See how I go but really enjoying the diet and I think the weekends are satisfying me without putting me back like it use to.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2020, 09:46:59 PM »

Ran marathon #4 today. Felt good through 10.5 miles, and then the hills until mile 14 just brutalized me. But still ran my fastest marathon yet, even taking 3rd place in my age group (which was surprising).

It’s also cool to see the stories here of people getting more active and eating better. Keep it up, guys!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #816 on: January 20, 2020, 06:34:02 AM »
Great race! As vet of a dozen marathons, i think finishing 3rd in your age group is fantastic.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: January 20, 2020, 08:18:10 AM »
That's quite the achievement  :yarr

Just did a 6 mile bike ride to wake up and weighed myself for the first time in awhile.  Down to 192lbs.  I hadn't been weighing myself much at all through my "get into shape" journey as it's not a numbers game for me, but about being in better shape and feeling better.  Of course the numbers help and keep me motivated.  It only gets harder to keep losing the pounds, but being I was at least at 230 when I started, to still see some progress is really awesome and shows my hard work is paying off.  I was 195 around the holidays when I last checked so I'm back in business of dropping weight.  I'm pretty happy to see I've gone down a bit. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
Awesome stuff guys.  Marc... great attitude.  I'm mostly of the same view - don't care what the number says, frankly... it's all about what the mirror tells me.  The scale is nice validation, and good feedback on making adjustments, but I'm not going to get too thrilled or bent out of shape about it one way or the other.

Didn't do much this weekend - had dinner out with a bunch of friends Friday night, then an icewine tour with the same group all day Saturday, and the Toronto Blue Jays WinterFest with jingle.daughter yesterday (left at 7:30am, got home around 6:30).  I did a workout Sat morning (back/bi's) before the wine tour, but that was it.  Trying to figure out how/when I can squeeze something in today. Yoga is supposed to be on the schedule.  We'll see if I can hammer it in somewhere.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #819 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »

Ran marathon #4 today. Felt good through 10.5 miles, and then the hills until mile 14 just brutalized me. But still ran my fastest marathon yet, even taking 3rd place in my age group (which was surprising).

It’s also cool to see the stories here of people getting more active and eating better. Keep it up, guys!

That is amazing!  Good job.

The farthest I've ever run was a 5k back when I used to be in shape.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: January 20, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »
Thanks Chad, a positive attitude really helps and its reciprical in a way.  You see results, you feel positive, you feel positive and youre motivated to make your next results.  Anyway, time for bike ride #2 now that my grocery shopping is done and my menu for today isn't exactly going to be the most healthy.  Going to make some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, pork dumplings, and tacos  :lol (bunch of random leftovers from the weekend that I can cook with before they go bad).  Since I'm off from work though, it's a good day to get a few longer bike rides in and some dumbbell exercises. 

One more thing about the weight, I may be down but I can feel I've put on a small amount of muscle mass which is heavier so I'm probably even better off than just the weight when you consider the overall body of work. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #821 on: January 20, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »

Nice work  :metal   I’ve only done (2) Fulls and my pace isn’t nearly fast enough to place. I plan I’m doing another one next year. I’ll be 45, my last one was when I was 40 and I recall when I hit mile 18 my legs started to get really mad at me. Ha ha  May shoot to just do one every 5 years as a goal but We will see how the future unfolds. Fantastic work though man, really good stuff.

I’m registered for a little 10k Trail Run on 2/23 then a Half Trail Marathon on 3/8. Might try to shoot for another half trail after that this year depending on how the body feels.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: January 20, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
Awesome stuff guys.  Marc... great attitude.  I'm mostly of the same view - don't care what the number says, frankly... it's all about what the mirror tells me.  The scale is nice validation, and good feedback on making adjustments, but I'm not going to get too thrilled or bent out of shape about it one way or the other.

Didn't do much this weekend - had dinner out with a bunch of friends Friday night, then an icewine tour with the same group all day Saturday, and the Toronto Blue Jays WinterFest with jingle.daughter yesterday (left at 7:30am, got home around 6:30).  I did a workout Sat morning (back/bi's) before the wine tour, but that was it.  Trying to figure out how/when I can squeeze something in today. Yoga is supposed to be on the schedule.  We'll see if I can hammer it in somewhere.

Friends?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: January 20, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
hahahaha  Actually, it's my one close friend I still have from my teenage years, and a bunch of couples that I casually know through him/his wife.  I'd say 1/2 of them I met for the first time on Friday.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: January 20, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
hahahaha  Actually, it's my one close friend I still have from my teenage years, and a bunch of couples that I casually know through him/his wife.  I'd say 1/2 of them I met for the first time on Friday.

Swinger party.  Nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: January 21, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »
Not normally a breakfast guy but have a bit of a later start and predicting a busy day so might not get time to eat later so just polished off some eggs, bacon and full fat cheese.  I haven't touched cheese voluntarily when cooking for years so was something different.  Cooked in some butter, medium eggs with the yolks still runny and a generous spinkle of cheese.  Mother of God that was simply amazing, I can't even begin to describe. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: January 21, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »
Not normally a breakfast guy but have a bit of a later start and predicting a busy day so might not get time to eat later so just polished off some eggs, bacon and full fat cheese.  I haven't touched cheese voluntarily when cooking for years so was something different.  Cooked in some butter, medium eggs with the yolks still runny and a generous spinkle of cheese.  Mother of God that was simply amazing, I can't even begin to describe.

:lol

I'll make that exact meal for dinner sometimes!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: January 21, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
That is a delicious breakfast, I too also had cut out cheese but eggs are one spot where I need cheese personally.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #828 on: January 21, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »

Wow that sounds amazing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: January 21, 2020, 04:44:44 PM »

:lol

I'll make that exact meal for dinner sometimes!

It was on the smaller side, only 3 eggs, 4 rashes and a decent sprinkle of cheese, probably around 600 calories but so amazing.  Been eating bacon and eggs more but a bit of cheese just sends it over the edge.  This is becoming a new staple, dinner too.  For dinner I'll throw a good handful of green beans in the pan too and it will be perfect.  More eggs and bacon too obviously for dinner time.

Wow that sounds amazing!

Indeed, yet so simple and quick.

That is a delicious breakfast, I too also had cut out cheese but eggs are one spot where I need cheese personally.

I didn't cut out cheese for any specific reason, I just have never been a big fan of cheese in general.  I think it's somewhat perhaps overused in modern society but just a little bit was enough to send an amazing meal into top tier territory.  Unless you have a intolerance, you don't have to cut specific foods mate, just portion them and be mindful of how much your using.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
Well cheese in general is extra calories (~80-100 calories a slice) that in many cases I can cut without it bothering me.  Like tacos for example.  I make turkey tacos without cheese or sour cream that are still pretty good compared to a beef taco with cheese and/or sour cream.  In eggs, I need a slice of american cheese to want to eat the eggs and it makes it so much better that it's worht the calories.  So I can cut in some spots, but not worth it in others like this case.  I still make eggs for brunch on the weekends too.  Omelette with peppers onions tomato and american cheese.  So good and nice high protein meal.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: January 21, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
Just the thought of trying keto diet is :drool:  But, I really don't see how it would work for mrs.jingle - she has food/body issues, and I know she just couldn't wrap her head around a high fat diet.

So, I just try to eat a traditional / sensible 40/40/20 split, trying to avoid processed foods and simple carbs.

Off to the workout room - maybe cardio if mrs.jingle is joining me.  Legs/back otherwise.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: January 21, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Well cheese in general is extra calories (~80-100 calories a slice) that in many cases I can cut without it bothering me.  Like tacos for example.  I make turkey tacos without cheese or sour cream that are still pretty good compared to a beef taco with cheese and/or sour cream.  In eggs, I need a slice of american cheese to want to eat the eggs and it makes it so much better that it's worht the calories.  So I can cut in some spots, but not worth it in others like this case.  I still make eggs for brunch on the weekends too.  Omelette with peppers onions tomato and american cheese.  So good and nice high protein meal.

That was sort of the same mindset  mate and not a big cheese lover made that even easier.  Burritos and tacos if I ever eat them, I never seem to miss the cheese at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: January 21, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
Just the thought of trying keto diet is :drool:  But, I really don't see how it would work for mrs.jingle - she has food/body issues, and I know she just couldn't wrap her head around a high fat diet.

So, I just try to eat a traditional / sensible 40/40/20 split, trying to avoid processed foods and simple carbs.

Off to the workout room - maybe cardio if mrs.jingle is joining me.  Legs/back otherwise.

Why would you both have to do it?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: January 21, 2020, 11:14:11 PM »
I'm not entirely interested in making 3 or 4 different dishes at dinner time. Jingle.kids aleady have different tastes then us, it's bad enough making 2 or 3 different dishes. Rarely are we just making 1 type of meal that everyone eats.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: January 22, 2020, 04:12:03 AM »
Fair enough.  Cooking one type of meal alone is a pain in the ass in the first place.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: January 22, 2020, 06:13:20 AM »
Ya'll are crazy. I practically live on cheese... one of the benefits of full on keto, I've never had to count a calorie. I literally can't eat enough high fat foods to make a caloric difference. It's too rich. Portions about the size of my fist are satisfying to the point that any more would make me sick.

Oh, good. This thread is turning into a cooking klatch! I'm about to throw a couple pounds of chicken thighs in the crock pot, liberally seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Toss a handful of sun-dried tomatoes on top. Cover all and sundry with a garlic, Parmesan, cream sauce. Set the slow cooker to low and when I get home...serve on a bead of mashed cauliflower...heaven!

I would put this simple keto meal up against any other home cooking and would easily be proud to serve it, along with a green salad, to any guest. Keto dishes aren't just for people on the diet.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: January 22, 2020, 06:18:06 AM »
That dish sounds good to me.

In fact, I've migrated to eating chicken thighs most nights of the week including two last night that sound like they were seasoned very similar to yours, but I just baked the two of them instead of the slow cook.  Green beans on the side, but if you could make a good cauliflower mash, I'm in.  My x made a terrible one but I've eaten some good ones out and about so I know it can be made right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: January 22, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »
Love the green beans, Cram. Another keto staple...but not everyone does.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: January 22, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »
Green beans are my go to veggie, I eat them often with my chicken thighs.  I've got another set of thighs marinated a bit differently and another batch of fresh green beans ready to be baked again tonight... and another different set for Thursday.  Friday I'll switch it up.  Now that is the boring but quick and easy meal prep for one person.