Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192705 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1120 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:39 AM »
By that logic, I shouldn't go to the grocery store whatsoever, because...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
@ cram... my advice - for any illness/ailment - if you feel good enough to workout, by all means do it.  Sniffles?  Aches/pains?  low fever .... if you still feel 'up' to working out, exercising isn't going to make things worse.  That's my opinion of course.  Not sure if anyone else feels or knows differently.

Usually when I've got a fever or aches though, I just don't have the motivation to workout.

That's my thought but what I read from an unreliable source was your body might be confused about where to send resources, youre recovering body from the workout or the ability to help overcome an illness.  I don't know the science here so was just throwing it out there.  I've had mild cold symptoms for a bit now and have been biking much less because it's been more tiresome but I wonder if that's helping or hurting me with recovering from these cold symptoms which just don't seem to be going away.  In other times, I would just keep doing what I can handle but I keep thinking I should do everything to make sure my immune system is not hurting just in case the virus does come to me. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1122 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »
@ Katt .... :france:

This is clearly a case where you'll need to find your tipping point.  Again, let's push COVID discussion to the COVID thread??

@ Marc... good points, and I've got no medical basis for my opinions, so I could be completely off, and giving you the absolute worst advice!   :lol

:dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: March 20, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
Gladly! If I want someone to reprimand me on how I live, I'll call up my mom.  :lol (no offense, Lethean - just having fun)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1124 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »

No, because you need food to live. If you could live without food, then sure don't go to the grocery store. You have to go there and you have to go to work. You don't have to go to the gym. That's the difference.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:35 AM »

No, because you need food to live. If you could live without food, then sure don't go to the grocery store. You have to go there and you have to go to work. You don't have to go to the gym. That's the difference.

Thanks, mom. See?  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1126 on: March 20, 2020, 10:32:10 AM »
Well no, it should be more like thanks doctor, nurse, public health advisor, guy on The Joe Rogan show in the video that I think you have shared, etcetera. That's where I'm getting it from. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: March 20, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
Yes. Me too. You're welcome to come live my life if you wish!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1128 on: March 20, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »
No thanks. It could be fun to trade for a day, but our co-workers might notice that something was a little off...  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: March 20, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
No thanks. It could be fun to trade for a day, but our co-workers might notice that something was a little off...  :)

:lmao:

It wouldn't be the hair!   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: March 20, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »
 :lol Yeah, I like my job. I get to wear sleeveless shirts and basketball shorts in the summer and don't have to worry about getting dirty, 'cause I'm always dirty.  :biggrin:

Back to exercise, though. It's funny because I started doing a thing a month or so ago where I would do push-ups and other bodyweight exercises every time I lost a match in Smash Bros. (Hey, I gotta motivate myself somehow, what better way than with one of my favorite hobbies?  :lol) No better time to continue than on a quarantine weekend! Haha.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1131 on: March 20, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
What about hand stand push-ups like in that video jingle posted?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: March 20, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
I got introduced to a lot of push-up variations in high school. Not really a fan of anything except the tried and true, honestly. Just not fun exercises to me. I like adding actual weights to bodyweight exercises though. I'm not sure if there are studies on the detriments but I've done push-ups with weights on my back and weighted vests etc. and those are super fun to me.

I've thought about putting together a simple wooden box at the shop (maybe this afternoon) to take home and use as a step-up box for some intense home cardio, since I don't have any other options and it's too cold to go running at the pond or track.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1133 on: March 20, 2020, 11:38:07 AM »
I got introduced to a lot of push-up variations in high school. Not really a fan of anything except the tried and true, honestly. Just not fun exercises to me.
I meant that as kind of a joke, although I guess I don't really know why... Obviously if that guy does it, other people can too.  It just looked insane to me.  :)

I've thought about putting together a simple wooden box at the shop (maybe this afternoon) to take home and use as a step-up box for some intense home cardio, since I don't have any other options and it's too cold to go running at the pond or track.

That sounds like a cool idea.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1134 on: March 20, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »
So grateful I got a big ass mountain a few miles from me, and that hiking is an acceptable activity under out SIP order. 6 miles yesterday, 5 today. Planning on hitting every trail before this thing is over.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: March 20, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
So grateful I got a big ass mountain a few miles from me, and that hiking is an acceptable activity under out SIP order. 6 miles yesterday, 5 today. Planning on hitting every trail before this thing is over.

Lucky!

I'm wondering if I can get away with walking out in the country. Nothing but corn!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: March 20, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
Sorry guys, thought I clicked on the exercise thread, I'll move on.  ;D

Just did a 2km swim and 7km run/jog this morning.  I'm fucked.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: March 21, 2020, 02:15:58 AM »
With all gyms being closed for the foreseeable future, I just started doing basic exercises at home. I did a 45 minute circuit workout consisting of push ups, sit ups, squats, calf raises, jumping jacks, running on the spot. I would stop for 20 seconds here and there for water but pretty much went non stop. I was drenched in sweat lol, way more than I would at the gym. I liked it and will keep doing it

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: March 21, 2020, 04:39:06 AM »
With all gyms being closed for the foreseeable future, I just started doing basic exercises at home. I did a 45 minute circuit workout consisting of push ups, sit ups, squats, calf raises, jumping jacks, running on the spot. I would stop for 20 seconds here and there for water but pretty much went non stop. I was drenched in sweat lol, way more than I would at the gym. I liked it and will keep doing it

Awesome-sauce.  If anyone wants some ideas, I've been working out from home for more than a few years.  I've purchased a few different programs that do a really good job of incorporating HIIT movements, lifting, bodyweight moves etc...  Some are timed, some are not.  I also purchased a really good heart rate monitor (bluetooth, so it runs from an app on my phone and I see what my hr is at all times), so I know when I'm in the zone I want to be, or too high, or too low.  That often dictates how much/long I rest for between movements ands sets.

And I'll pimp him again, but Athlean-X has got a ton of great advice and walk-thru videos.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1139 on: March 21, 2020, 07:29:58 AM »
Did a deck of cards yesterday. Clubs were burpees, and Kings and Queens were 20 reps each (we believe in gender equality in our house).

The cards giveth and the cards taketh away...

That was a brutal string of cards about 2/3 through the deck.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: March 21, 2020, 07:36:28 AM »
Coffee has actually been a huge help for me in my diet.  Drinking it black so it's essentially 0 calories and it helps me not feel hungry, I am often tempted to drink more than my 2 cups (and on the days I feel the hungriest is when I push to 3 cups).  But I really don't want to get myself anymore addicted than I already am so I have yet to have a 4 cup day and really hope I don't ever feel that urge.  One thing that has helped me is to not drink a full cup at once, put it aside and reheat and finish it off an hour or two later to help with the mental side of needing to put food/drinks in my mouth. 

I didn't start drinking coffee until my 20's to help with hunger when I was dieting. That turned into 5 cups a day that I drink now, I've been slowly weening myself off of it so I can cut back to maybe 2 cups a day.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: March 21, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
Did a deck of cards yesterday. Clubs were burpees, and Kings and Queens were 20 reps each (we believe in gender equality in our house).

The cards giveth and the cards taketh away...

That was a brutal string of cards about 2/3 through the deck.

I've got a deck-of-cards app on my phone, and I hate - HATE - when I get 3-4 of the same suit in a row on a compound/high-intensity movement.  I'm not entirely masochistic though - J/Q/K/A are 11-12-13-14.  Doing face cards at 20 is terrifying.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: March 21, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
I'm looking into this deck of cards thing. I think I will give it a shot in about an hour. Will report back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »
I'm not sure I see the point? If you end up getting stuck with the same exercises, what does that benefit?  Either way, I'm sure it's a tough workout and very beneficial. 

I'm honestly feeling the best I've felt in like a month today.  No tiredness, no gout, slight runny nose still but no other ailments and I actually was able to lift some weights. 

Also another way I end up getting some exercise in although I don't count it in my biking or any other regiment is dancing.  When I feel good, I like to blast music and dance around the house.  I've been doing that last night and this morning which I haven't done at all lately.  Feels good. 

And lady friend coming over tonight so I'll get some exercise then too plus we are planning on making a healthy turkey veggies and potatos dinner together  :metal :metal

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1144 on: March 21, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
I'm not sure I see the point? If you end up getting stuck with the same exercises, what does that benefit? 

At the end of the workout it's the same number of reps of each exercise, so it's more or less the same thing as having the exercises equally spread out. The difference when you have that many in a row of the same exercise is that it typically slows you down because you end up resting a lot more to get the reps finished. That sequence probably cost me an extra 2 minutes due to the rest needed. The point of the deck of cards is to make it random to keep the workout fresh. You never know what's next, so i find the workouts easier to get through from a mental perspective.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
Sweet lord. I got winded 1/4 through a deck. Although I was counting one rep for each side which I don't know if I should be doing (so like, mountain climbers; raising each leg once counted for 1, the next 2 were '2' and so on...), but holy crap I got winded fast. I bumbled along until I got to 26 and then called it quits. Fun as hell but absolutely tiring... which means I've found something exciting to stick to. Hooray.

Of course... I was doing mountain climbers, Spider-man pushups, prisoner squats, and reverse lunges. Those mountain climbers and spideys, man...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:54:11 AM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:37 AM »
I'm not sure I see the point? If you end up getting stuck with the same exercises, what does that benefit? 

At the end of the workout it's the same number of reps of each exercise, so it's more or less the same thing as having the exercises equally spread out. The difference when you have that many in a row of the same exercise is that it typically slows you down because you end up resting a lot more to get the reps finished. That sequence probably cost me an extra 2 minutes due to the rest needed. The point of the deck of cards is to make it random to keep the workout fresh. You never know what's next, so i find the workouts easier to get through from a mental perspective.

Ohhh, I misunderstood, thought you only do what you draw, not the whole deck.. yea that's intense.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1147 on: March 21, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »

Ohhh, I misunderstood, thought you only do what you draw, not the whole deck.. yea that's intense.

Lol no, you do the whole thing. Although I've been near the end of a deck more than once and saw a bad sequence and just quit with 10 or so cards to go.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: March 21, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
I was doing mountain climbers, Spider-man pushups, prisoner squats, and reverse lunges. Those mountain climbers and spideys, man...

That's a nice combo - though double dipping on 2 x aerobic moves (mountain climbers + reverse lunges); as well as doubling up legs (squats/lunges).  I always like to throw in a ab targeted move as well.  Those are good as an "active rest" - not really taxing on the HR.

@ Marc... when one counts Jacks=11; Q=12; K=13; Aces=14, it ends up being 105 reps of each suit/movement.  Depending on the movements, most deck-o-cards routines will run me at least 25-30 minutes.  Some simply take longer to execute, and/or recover (eg, pushup vs burpee; squat vs jumping jack), which can add to the total workout time.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1149 on: March 21, 2020, 02:09:36 PM »
If i do movements that are single sided i always do a low rep version with aces being 1 and j,q,k being 11, 12, and 13 respectively. And , like jingle, a typical deck takes about 25 minutes. I've picked some awful combinations though that took 40 minutes to finish. Like full clean and press instead of burpees.

I don't mind having double leg movements in my deck. Makes for a good leg day. I do always include the sit ups, too, just for the active rest. It honestly helps a bunch

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: March 23, 2020, 05:22:35 AM »
Yeah, that deck of cards thing definitely isn't my thing.  Lucky I've been getting into the running lately.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: March 23, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
Dude, what the hell... ow. I can be a couch potato, but I love to exercise. But I've never done that deck of cards routine before, and after only half a deck, I was sore all day yesterday - more sore than I've been in a long time. All from bodyweight exercises. Hurts so good - just what I've been looking for. Just gonna keep at it until I'm able to do a whole deck in a session. Going to have to make some adjustments to how I approach reps though. I underestimated how physically demanding it was gonna be.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1152 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:54 AM »
Well it's now 3 days since I did my deck, and I'm still sore lol.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
For me, it's my lats... basically my whole upper portion of my sides. And my ass. I have played so much PlayStation 4 since Christmas I think my ass atrophied. I forgot the power of squats. And moderation.  :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:36 AM »
13km run yesterday (8 miles).  Time was 1 hour 19 minutes and 8 seconds.  6 minutes a km, pretty slow but still alright since I was pacing for a bigger run.  I don't know how people run marathons, jeez.

12km run today in 1 hour and 9 minutes.  So 1km shorter but would have had a much better time.