Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192798 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1085 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
WTH... only 1  :tup for me.   :sad:   :lol

You've already reached the pinnacle, my man. You only need a slight 'atta boy'.

You've got incredibly low standards if you think I'm the picture of 'pinnacle'.   :lol  I think that's reserved for Big Hath - I remember him posting either here, or in the post-your-pic thread and damn that dude was in shape (I assume he still is).  I'm getting to where I want to be - slowly but surely.

@ Kade... yes, Jeff Cavaliere.  And I too had to Google "arvo".  First time you used it, I was certain it was an autocorrect of something, but then I was like "wtf?".   :lol

Need pics now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: March 17, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
Ep006: Slang Word “Arvo”

G’day guys. Welcome to this episode of Aussie English. Today I’m going to be talking about a slang term, or a slang word, “arvo” or “the arvo” or “this arvo”. This is one that you are probably going to encounter a lot in Australia. It’s used by anyone and everyone of any age and… wherever they’re from. It’s not really the kind of slang term that is only found in one area. It’s really all over the country.

So what does it mean first of all? “Arvo”. Any guesses? “Arvo” is from the word “Afternoon”, which literally means “after” “noon”. So after lunchtime, after 12pm, but before nighttime. So the afternoon is normally between 12pm and 6pm in the afternoon.

“Arvo” is an example where we’ve shortened the word “afternoon” and added an “o” to the end of it and made it “arvo”. So how do we use this word? It can literally slow into any space where you would say “afternoon”. So…

“See you this arvo.”

“See you on Saturday arvo.”

“I’ll meet you after the game s’arvo”.  (‘s = this)

“I’m going to the doctor’s this arvo.”

You’ll often hear a mix of just “this arvo”, “arvo” or “s’arvo” depending on the person and how they pronounce it. So that’s “arvo”. So maybe you’re listening to this podcast in the “arvo”, maybe you’ve come home “this arvo” after a big day at work, or maybe you’re going to have a barbie, a barbecue in “the arvo” later today. So try and use this word in your next conversation with an Australian because I’m 100% certain you’ll impress them if you drop the word “arvo”.

Have a good one guys!

https://aussieenglish.com.au/ep006-slang-word-arvo/

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1087 on: March 17, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
 :lol

That was great. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: March 17, 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
The 's'arvo' one is a stretch and made me laugh.  I've never heard anyone use that term I don't think. We like to cut words down but I think that is taking things a bit far.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1089 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
So, I haven't been to my gym in 2 days. It's a 24/7 gym; staffed for very few hours, and is otherwise pretty empty. Actually for the first couple months of the year it's usually pretty busy at normal hours, but this year it's been oddly quiet, even in January.

I'm wondering if I should go. I wanted to go last night but was too tired, and I really kind of need to work out tonight. The last couple weeks I've been in there, there haven't been more than 3 others in the whole gym (which is normal). It's out on the edge of town and the parking lot is usually always sparsely populated. There's plenty of disinfectant and most people always wipe down everything. Due to the low traffic and disinfectant everywhere I should be okay...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: March 19, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
So, I haven't been to my gym in 2 days. It's a 24/7 gym; staffed for very few hours, and is otherwise pretty empty. Actually for the first couple months of the year it's usually pretty busy at normal hours, but this year it's been oddly quiet, even in January.

I'm wondering if I should go. I wanted to go last night but was too tired, and I really kind of need to work out tonight. The last couple weeks I've been in there, there haven't been more than 3 others in the whole gym (which is normal). It's out on the edge of town and the parking lot is usually always sparsely populated. There's plenty of disinfectant and most people always wipe down everything. Due to the low traffic and disinfectant everywhere I should be okay...

Not sure what the situation is like where you are mate but can't stop living your life. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: March 19, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »

Not sure what the situation is like where you are mate but can't stop living your life.

Yeah, that's a great point, and I think that's what it comes down to, doesn't it? There's 1 reported case in my county (hasn't changed for 2-3 days now) and the governor has done an extraordinary job of taking this seriously and locking down the state. Since I saw less than 5 people there even on a weekend, I think I'm gonna chance it and go.

Besides... I tend to try new things when the gym is completely empty so I don't look like an ass if I don't do something properly. This could be a good time for a new routine!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
Well there isn't a single gym open in my state.  I wouldn't recommend going just because you can work out in other ways and even though empty now, this virus seems to linger on surfaces. You may be pretty safe but it almost seems like a risk not worth taking in my mind right now.

And you should put a halt on many things that are considered "living your life" but that's my relatively more recent opinion on things.

I weighed in at 179 lbs this morning which is insane if I was 186 just last week so I think some of this is water weight and just general daily fluctuation, but damn my goal was 180 and I essentially hit it.  I'm pretty proud of myself.  Having said that, I have no plans on stopping.  I've slacked a bit with the workouts, but honestly, my diet and bike riding isn't really that difficult especially once in a rhythm.  New goal, 175 and get those large sized tshirts to be just a bit looser.  They mostly fit fairly well right now which is another achievement (as I am wearing a shirt from many years ago).  Eventually I want to put on more muscle too but I've been really fatigued lately, biking for 10 minutes is difficult so lifting weights hasn't really been something I've been working on. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: March 19, 2020, 04:16:53 PM »
Cram,

Awesome stuff! I can't imagine 175. The last time I was that low I had a 30 inch waist. I'm never seeing that again  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: March 19, 2020, 04:35:29 PM »
Thanks and I'm currently at a 34 inch waist so I have room to work.  I hit 180 about 10 years ago when I last tried to get into shape.  I never went under so if I can get to 175 it'll be the best shape I may have ever been in since I went through puberty and had my growth spurt. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: March 19, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »
The gym I go to is legitimately one of the remaining open gyms in Canada. It sounds like 99% of gyms in Canada have either been told to close or have closed on their own accord. I go to Snap Fitness and most have been closed except my location. Even though it’s a 24/7 gym, the manager has decided to open up for a few hours each day. But she is not taking on any new customers during this period, she is asking nobody attend if they are feeling unwell, minimizing the number of people that can be present and lots of cleaning. Hopefully she doesn’t get forced to shut down. I’m all for taking precautions and I don’t want anyone to get sick, but things are getting a tad out of hand

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: March 19, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
Eh. I can do bodyweight exercises here but I want to lift and do cardio, and it's raining. I'm gonna scope it out; if nobody's there, I'm in.  :hat

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1097 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
The gym I go to is legitimately one of the remaining open gyms in Canada. It sounds like 99% of gyms in Canada have either been told to close or have closed on their own accord. I go to Snap Fitness and most have been closed except my location. Even though it’s a 24/7 gym, the manager has decided to open up for a few hours each day. But she is not taking on any new customers during this period, she is asking nobody attend if they are feeling unwell, minimizing the number of people that can be present and lots of cleaning. Hopefully she doesn’t get forced to shut down. I’m all for taking precautions and I don’t want anyone to get sick, but things are getting a tad out of hand

I'm a snap customer as well, and I am crushed that they've decided to close.

It's bad enough that the constant stress of a imminent global-recession-by-way-of-pandemic is keeping me up at night, but the fact that I can't currently observe my workout routine is totally adding insult to injury. First world problems, I know, but still.....

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1098 on: March 19, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
Well there isn't a single gym open in my state.  I wouldn't recommend going just because you can work out in other ways and even though empty now, this virus seems to linger on surfaces. You may be pretty safe but it almost seems like a risk not worth taking in my mind right now.

And you should put a halt on many things that are considered "living your life" but that's my relatively more recent opinion on things.

I agree 100% with this, and am on a completely opposite page from you guys Katt/Wolf/jj.  I don't things are getting out of hand.  50% growth in cases, and 30% growth in US deaths today alone is what's getting out of hand.  Going to a gym is not social distancing.

I'm with cram... only leaving the house for "essential" supplies.  Working out (with excessive sweat and exhaling) is a completely unnecessary risk - for you, or others you may be exposed to for the next 14 days.

That's just me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: March 19, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
I respect that opinion for sure. This is just something that is unprecedented and is so fluid with the changes it’s hard to know what’s going on. People are fighting in grocery stores over food and toilet paper, this isn’t normal. The media doesn’t help really. I think people need to find a happy medium for taking care of themselves and people around them, but also live. But I also respect people’s decision to completely stay inside and not leave.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1100 on: March 19, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
I'm with cram and jingle.  There are a lot of cardio workouts on YouTube.  Maybe they aren't as satisfying as being able to use a machine, but it'll get the job done, and keep everyone safe.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: March 19, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
I got back a little while ago. Given the sparse traffic I'm fine taking the risk at least tonight. cram went to concerts packed in like sardines a while back and he's on the east coast, so I feel comfortable with my choice for now (edit: news is still reporting only one case and we have testing going on, so that's largely why I feel okay) I may not do it again this weekend though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:53:58 PM by Kattelox »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:01 PM »
I respect that opinion for sure. This is just something that is unprecedented and is so fluid with the changes it’s hard to know what’s going on. People are fighting in grocery stores over food and toilet paper, this isn’t normal. The media doesn’t help really. I think people need to find a happy medium for taking care of themselves and people around them, but also live. But I also respect people’s decision to completely stay inside and not leave.

Social media is a major part of the problem, but I won't get started on that.  No way I'm living in fear and not going to the gym.  I respect everyone's opinon however.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: March 19, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »

Social media is a major part of the problem, but I won't get started on that.  No way I'm living in fear and not going to the gym.  I respect everyone's opinon however.

:tup agree 100%

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: March 19, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »
For me, it's not a matter of living in fear.  It's a matter of taking the steps necessary to keep society as a whole functioning.  jj... you're absolutely right - fighting in grocery stores is stupid and uncalled for.  There is however a real need for EVERYONE to take the extraordinarily necessary steps to reduce any/all chances of transmission and spread.

I won't derail this any more into a Coronavirus discussion, so I'll leave it at that.  To each their own.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: March 19, 2020, 09:52:58 PM »
 :tup I just hope everyone is safe and taking the necessary precautions

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: March 19, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »
:tup I just hope everyone is safe and taking the necessary precautions

On this we agree.

Did a double workout today - an hour on the bike earlier watching a podcast (@ Katt... that JRE you shared earlier this week), and then my HIIT program + abs.  I'm not sure if I killed it, or it killed me.

Bed time now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: March 19, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »
For me, it's not a matter of living in fear.  It's a matter of taking the steps necessary to keep society as a whole functioning.  jj... you're absolutely right - fighting in grocery stores is stupid and uncalled for.  There is however a real need for EVERYONE to take the extraordinarily necessary steps to reduce any/all chances of transmission and spread.

I won't derail this any more into a Coronavirus discussion, so I'll leave it at that.  To each their own.

If everyone had more common sense than we could protect ourselves better without taking such drastic measures IMO.  I say keep clean, be mindful, watch your coughs and sneezes and if you start feeling crook, stay home.

Anyway, it's a worldwide problem we are all faced with and understand every has to take extra measures to try and slow this down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: March 19, 2020, 11:37:22 PM »
I gave myself a goal to run 30km this week.  It's Friday and I've done 15km and my legs are trashed.  So many aches, calf pain, shin pain and fatigue I don't know how I'm going to do another 15km in 3 days.  It's omly 5km each day but coming from a non running background, it's starting to hurt bad.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: March 19, 2020, 11:50:36 PM »

If everyone had more common sense than we could protect ourselves better without taking such drastic measures IMO.  I say keep clean, be mindful, watch your coughs and sneezes and if you start feeling crook, stay home.

Anyway, it's a worldwide problem we are all faced with and understand every has to take extra measures to try and slow this down.

:tup :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: March 20, 2020, 08:13:03 AM »
I got back a little while ago. Given the sparse traffic I'm fine taking the risk at least tonight. cram went to concerts packed in like sardines a while back and he's on the east coast, so I feel comfortable with my choice for now (edit: news is still reporting only one case and we have testing going on, so that's largely why I feel okay) I may not do it again this weekend though.

And that was before Trump went on air looking sick and saying how serious this was (changing his own tone).  That got me to fall in line that this shit is serious.  I've also had cold symptoms since then that haven't gone away.  Also, one confirmed case in your town means like many many more unconfirmed cases.  Testing is way too far from being rampant to use that as a reason to feel comfortable.  Most people with symptoms still can't get tested.  Just my opinion, but I do admit, my opinion changed about two weeks ago from today.  I was all on the "keep living your life" boat until then.  Now I worry I am spreading a disease unknowingly.  But with a workout, you can find ways of achieving the same in your own house, that's why it feels like an unnecessary risk right now.  I'm honestly surprised they are even still open.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1111 on: March 20, 2020, 08:38:23 AM »
Yeah, this 'flatten the curve' advice is the real deal. Here in Alberta, Canada we started adopting social distancing from the minute we had a confirmed case. We still see new cases every day, but it's linear. In the US right now the number of cases doubles every 2 or 3 days. Without taking big steps to stop the spread, you're looking at a grim outlook a month from now. I understand that if you're outside the high risk population this might seem like an overreaction, but if you have elderly parents, grand parents, or know anyone with health problems you should be doing it for them.

I have a solid home gym (bike, rower, power rack and olympic bars, 500lbs of plates, bowflex adjustable dumbells, plenty of floor space, wall mounted TV), so I'm lucky not to be too impacted on the fitness front. I've still been out XC skiing and mounting biking though. I think that still counts as social distancing since I almost never see anyone else out there when I am.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: March 20, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
Since we already have a few COVID threads going, my hope is that we can stay on topic here.  We're all getting bombarded by this stuff, I'm hoping that this thread can be a safe haven away from that discussion and madness.

Sound cool?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: March 20, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Sure, but one last thing... is it good to workout if you are infected?  Just asking.  I did read that it was not on reddit, but that's not an official source.  Like, I'd imagine if I had a fever there would be no way I could work out.  But if you have mild symptoms, should you work out at all?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: March 20, 2020, 09:51:47 AM »

And that was before Trump went on air looking sick and saying how serious this was (changing his own tone).  That got me to fall in line that this shit is serious.  I've also had cold symptoms since then that haven't gone away.  Also, one confirmed case in your town means like many many more unconfirmed cases.  Testing is way too far from being rampant to use that as a reason to feel comfortable.  Most people with symptoms still can't get tested.  Just my opinion, but I do admit, my opinion changed about two weeks ago from today.  I was all on the "keep living your life" boat until then.  Now I worry I am spreading a disease unknowingly.  But with a workout, you can find ways of achieving the same in your own house, that's why it feels like an unnecessary risk right now.  I'm honestly surprised they are even still open.

I mean, I am taking it seriously, I'm weighing the options and likelihood of getting infected. A person with COVID-19 is likely not going to go work out, it's a low traffic gym in a low traffic part of a rural town, and we still only have one reported case in the county. Plus, I have to go to work even if the virus comes to my town, so I'm kind of fucked regardless. The virus is not in my town, at least not reported. And I've been watching all the local news outlets like a hawk all week, no mention at all. I'm really trying to take that "you gotta live your life" statement to heart, but I'm not being flippant, I'm definitely concerned about this disease. I haven't been around a gathering of a dozen or more people in... oh, god, months? Not since October of last year, easily. I'm very, very good at staying away from people.

I think like anything else, using your head and weighing the pros/cons matters here. I'm not lifting sweat-drenched weights at Miami Beach sharing White Claws with Becky. Like I said, I'll probably not go in the near future if it gets worse around these parts, but... I dunno. I was nervous when I initially asked, but after going, I felt better.

Honestly? I think it's more of a risk to go to f'ing Wal-Mart trying to buy some ground beef so I can eat next week. But I have to do that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:57:33 AM by Kattelox »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: March 20, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
I mean, I am taking it seriously, I'm weighing the options and likelihood of getting infected. A person with COVID-19 is likely not going to go work out, it's a low traffic gym in a low traffic part of a rural town, and we still only have one reported case in the county. Plus, I have to go to work even if the virus comes to my town, so I'm kind of fucked regardless. The virus is not in my town, at least not reported. And I've been watching all the local news outlets like a hawk all week, no mention at all. I'm really trying to take that "you gotta live your life" statement to heart, but I'm not being flippant, I'm definitely concerned about this disease.

I think like anything else, using your head and weighing the pros/cons matters here. I'm not lifting sweat-drenched weights at Miami Beach sharing White Claws with Becky. Like I said, I'll probably not go in the near future if it gets worse around these parts, but...

Hard times brotha... HARD TIMES!!  I only bold the part because, and you know this, once someone is diagnosed, they've likely had the infection - and have been spreading it themselves - for at least a week.

@ cram... my advice - for any illness/ailment - if you feel good enough to workout, by all means do it.  Sniffles?  Aches/pains?  low fever .... if you still feel 'up' to working out, exercising isn't going to make things worse.  That's my opinion of course.  Not sure if anyone else feels or knows differently.

Usually when I've got a fever or aches though, I just don't have the motivation to workout.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
Well, again. I still have to work even if it comes to town. If I still have to go to work, if I still have to go to the grocery store which sees EXPONENTIALLY more traffic than a small gym that is always being wiped down with disinfectant... then I think going for a workout is fine, really. The more I talk about this, the more I'm convinced it is (at the time) safe.

HARD TIMES indeed, daddy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Illinois

I am Champaign County. East central Illinois, that big very light pink square.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:06:30 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1117 on: March 20, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
I think that's actually completely the opposite of how you should be looking at it. You have to go to work, you don't have a choice at this point. You also have to eat, and if you don't have grocery pickup or delivery in your town, you have no choice but to go to the store. However, you do have a choice about everything else. So if someone who doesn't know that they have the coronavirus goes to your gym, you could then get it, not know that you have it, and pass it on to a co-worker. Or your dad. That's how the whole thing works.  The problem is that the incubation period can be as long as 14 days, so a person could think that they're perfectly healthy and go workout, and get someone else infected. With everything that's going on, how quickly it spreading here, everything that's happening in Italy, I think we should all just avoid being in public places like a gym because we have the choice to do so.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: March 20, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »
I think I've made it clear how I feel and how I will scale things back in the very near future as once again I am watching news like a hawk. I can take care of myself

There is testing going on in Champaign County. 1 case has been reported and it's stayed that way for days. I feel okay.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1119 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
It's not about watching the news like a hawk or taking care of yourself. The news doesn't know about all of the cases that are out there. The lesson from Italy is to start staying home now, not wait until the news knows about more cases.