Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191728 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #840 on: January 22, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »
I fucking HATE chicken thighs.  I know they would be preferred because of the fat, but I just can't stand that meat.  Has to be breast all day for me.

I've never had to count a calorie. I literally can't eat enough high fat foods to make a caloric difference. It's too rich. Portions about the size of my fist are satisfying to the point that any more would make me sick.

Personally, I could challenge this very very easily.  Everyone is different though.  I have rough numbers going through e head everyday.  I'm actually hitting 2500 or so calories very very easily.  Some intermittent fasting has to come into play for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: January 22, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
I used to be a breast only guy, but last year I discovered the boneless thigh filets and it's been a life changer.  The fattier thighs make it more tasty but since it's fattier it's less healthy, but it's a smaller cut of meat so it kind of evens out.  At the end of the day, I've found grilling them with even little seasoning is still very appetizing.  My father also won't eat dark meat chicken.  It's not for everyone, but I don't know why it took me so long to really enjoy the thighs.

I did cheat today for lunch, I haven't gone out for lunch in so long that I didn't even know they built a popeyes down the street from work.  So I cheated and got just the new sandwich to taste it out.  It's all I've eaten today so it's not too bad of a cheat, but damn that was one good sandwich.  I see what the hype is about, although i certainly wouldn't wait in a crazy line for it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: January 22, 2020, 02:52:20 PM »
I used to be a breast only guy, but last year I discovered the boneless thigh filets and it's been a life changer.  The fattier thighs make it more tasty but since it's fattier it's less healthy, but it's a smaller cut of meat so it kind of evens out.  At the end of the day, I've found grilling them with even little seasoning is still very appetizing.  My father also won't eat dark meat chicken.  It's not for everyone, but I don't know why it took me so long to really enjoy the thighs.

I did cheat today for lunch, I haven't gone out for lunch in so long that I didn't even know they built a popeyes down the street from work.  So I cheated and got just the new sandwich to taste it out.  It's all I've eaten today so it's not too bad of a cheat, but damn that was one good sandwich.  I see what the hype is about, although i certainly wouldn't wait in a crazy line for it.

If your caloric intake is still in check, it doesn't really matter what it is and it's not really a cheat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: January 22, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Understood, but it's fast food with little of anything that's beneficial to me besides protein in the chicken.  If I eat a normal lite dinner I'll still be fine overall, but it's a cheat in my mind just because it's overall very unhealthy.  I kept away from fries or anything else besides the sandwich though to keep me in check for my daily calorie goals.  I've stopped counting awhile ago, so I haven't been so strict on my 1k calories a day during the week diet.  But at 700 calories they say (I'm surprised its not more) keeping a normal dinner of under 1k calories still has me under the 2k recommended amount.  I'd probably burn a bit of myself still after I do a bike ride tonight. I just think those 700 calories would be better for my body if it was in the form of oatmeal and bananas, but you are right, it's not really a cheat if I'm still in line overall.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #844 on: January 22, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »

If your caloric intake is still in check, it doesn't really matter what it is and it's not really a cheat.

You basically just summed up my entire nutrition philosophy in one sentence lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: January 22, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
Understood, but it's fast food with little of anything that's beneficial to me besides protein in the chicken.  If I eat a normal lite dinner I'll still be fine overall, but it's a cheat in my mind just because it's overall very unhealthy.  I kept away from fries or anything else besides the sandwich though to keep me in check for my daily calorie goals.  I've stopped counting awhile ago, so I haven't been so strict on my 1k calories a day during the week diet.  But at 700 calories they say (I'm surprised its not more) keeping a normal dinner of under 1k calories still has me under the 2k recommended amount.  I'd probably burn a bit of myself still after I do a bike ride tonight. I just think those 700 calories would be better for my body if it was in the form of oatmeal and bananas, but you are right, it's not really a cheat if I'm still in line overall.

It won't make a skerrick of a difference mate.  Your body wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: January 22, 2020, 03:25:05 PM »
From a weightloss perspective, yes, but from a nutritional perspective I find that hard to believe.  That popeyes is fried chicken, terrible for you.  Oatmeal has nothing bad in it for you.  My cholesterol might have something to say about this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: January 22, 2020, 03:28:53 PM »
From a weightloss perspective, yes, but from a nutritional perspective I find that hard to believe.  That popeyes is fried chicken, terrible for you.  Oatmeal has nothing bad in it for you.  My cholesterol might have something to say about this.

From one single 700 calorie meal?  No way mate. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #848 on: January 22, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »
Think about putting fuel in your car. You put in clean high quality fuel and it runs well. You put in shitty low quality or dirty fuel and it's not as good for your engine. Sure that one time compared to a lifetime's worth of it isn't much but it still matters what you put into your system. The quality and chemical makeup of what you're putting into your food absolutely matters even if it does fit within your daily caloric limit. You might not be able to tell externally what that one meal does to your body, and maybe your body itself doesn't even know - doesn't mean it isn't having some kind of effect, however.

I'll have to go dig up the stuff I was reading recently about this. I thought it was actually inconclusive as to whether or not it *does* matter that much in the end, but logically speaking, I'm with Marc on this because it stands to reason that if you put shit food into your body, it will be processed as the shit food it is; although your body can't tell it's not a head of lettuce, it'll tell you something's up when your stomach starts gurgling as you digest those preservatives in that Big Mac.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: January 22, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
If the calories are the same then simply the macro nutrient breakdown would differ.  Obviously any fillers or preservatives that are in the fast food is obvious, but unless you are a supreme athlete and it's your profession, worrying about a single meal that is a one of and the effect it may have on your body and your health is so far over the top that it can border on an eating disorder if you are not careful and you keep thinking that way.  I've been there, I know.  Unless you are adding protein powder to the oats, you would be consuming more protein in the burger, and more carbs in the oats and banana.  Unless you have an adverse reaction straight away or there is something in the fast food that makes you ill, then if it's not a habit and you are not planning on it again, it's silly to worry about it or even think that way for a one of.

I've been there in the past where I've been hung up on eating something I shouldn't have outside of a cheat.  Even if I've made the calories equate out in the end, I would get so upset with myself and end up going overboard and even cutting more calories to try and negate any damage that was never there.  I agree fast food is bad and can't be avoided sometimes, but worrying about what you should have eaten instead later and beating yourself up will do you more harm in the long run.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: January 22, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »

From one single 700 calorie meal?  No way mate.

Sure, one single meal doesn't make or break anything, but being that I've eaten more than enough fast food that should be consumed in one life, even a small recognition of "I ate a shit meal" does matter to me IMO. 

And also, I'm not beating myself over it, just being honest with myself.  I had a shit meal and tried to limit it without the fries or a soda or anything else.  It's really not a big deal, but kind of glad I could just hold myself back a bit.  I honestly was thinking "how about two sandwiches instead of fries?"  :lol 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 23, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
I fucking HATE chicken thighs.  I know they would be preferred because of the fat, but I just can't stand that meat.  Has to be breast all day for me.

Well, the Tuscan chicken thighs I made were terrific, but I promise, if you join us next time I'll use chicken breasts!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #852 on: January 23, 2020, 08:35:57 AM »
On the topic of what *kind* of calories, I'm with both mind-sets here.  For ONE meal, it doesn't really make any difference.  Key part ... one meal.  So long as that "one meal" isn't every day, or even a few times a week.  On the other hand, eat 1500 calories of chocolate, and 1500 calories of broccoli, and let me know if your body notices the difference.  Obviously, I'm being facetious and extreme, but at some point, the kinds of calories absolutely do matter.

I read recently that most normal people eat anywhere between 21 and 35 meals a week.  So, if you eat clean for 19/21, or 32/35, you're still running at a 90% success rate.

So yeah, don't fret too much about a single reward meal, but don't let them get out of hand.  That goes for reward "snacks" too.  This is a bad time of year around the jingle.household, as there's lots of little candies and things that showed up around the holidays.  I still have some maple fudge, and Ghiradelli chocolates sitting around.  So tempting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »

Well, the Tuscan chicken thighs I made were terrific, but I promise, if you join us next time I'll use chicken breasts!

If I join you mate, I'll happily try your thighs.   :tup  the chicken should be alright too.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
On the topic of what *kind* of calories, I'm with both mind-sets here.  For ONE meal, it doesn't really make any difference.  Key part ... one meal.  So long as that "one meal" isn't every day, or even a few times a week.  On the other hand, eat 1500 calories of chocolate, and 1500 calories of broccoli, and let me know if your body notices the difference.  Obviously, I'm being facetious and extreme, but at some point, the kinds of calories absolutely do matter.

I read recently that most normal people eat anywhere between 21 and 35 meals a week.  So, if you eat clean for 19/21, or 32/35, you're still running at a 90% success rate.

So yeah, don't fret too much about a single reward meal, but don't let them get out of hand.  That goes for reward "snacks" too.  This is a bad time of year around the jingle.household, as there's lots of little candies and things that showed up around the holidays.  I still have some maple fudge, and Ghiradelli chocolates sitting around.  So tempting.

Thank you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: January 23, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »

If I join you mate, I'll happily try your thighs.   :tup  the chicken should be alright too.  ;D

:hat  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »
If I join you mate, I'll happily try your thighs.

I'll shower up.

Feeling well worn as I drink my protein/recovery drink. I had a great round with the yoga and weights this morning...really going after my balance, legs, glutes, and core for that effortless extra power in my golf swing. Ended the lifting with some extra sets in my shoulders, back and chest. Finished everything of with some great stretches.

I'm ready to potato the rest of my day guilt free.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: January 25, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
Rock on  :metal

On my bike now, got to get a good work out in since I think I'll be eating good tonight with my date who's coming over to cook some sausage with me from my Sopranos cook book.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: January 25, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
Rock on  :metal

On my bike now, got to get a good work out in since I think I'll be eating good tonight with my date who's coming over to cook some sausage with me from my Sopranos cook book.

I'll bet she is... :eyebrows:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: January 25, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »
who's coming over to cook some sausage with me

That's fantastic!... but what's for dinner?

Just about to have my pre-workout (PB&Banana protein shake), then hit a p90x (chest/shoulders/tri) routine.  Man I love that one.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »
 :lol

I guess I can add that I'll likely have a different type of work out later to go with the sausage  :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: January 25, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
What have I walked into?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: January 25, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
What have I walked into?  :lol

It's not the Hobby/Project thread.  Or, maybe it is.  lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
My third week of this very low carb/keto thing was a mix of week one and two.  Some points I felt great but other points felt shit.  I really like the eating through the week so will keep at it.  Changes in my stomach fat area are happening so so far so good.  Had a bit of a carb refeed last night though.  I find with the amount of activity I can't go through a whole week without changing it up and refeeding with some carbs.  Mentally too.  The 5 days per week of extremely low carbs is sitting well with me though.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
Well, so far breasts, thighs and sausage have been discussed.  Proof positive that the only thing men think about is... food :)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: January 26, 2020, 05:07:01 AM »
mrs.jingle's b-day is coming up, and I'm seriously considering getting her a couple of Keto books.  I really am interested to try it (short-term), and based on Gregg's commentary, it might be the thing for her for a longer-period.  She's been going thru 'the change' for a while, and her body is really changing on her.  No immediate health issues, but weight gain, and general moodiness have contributed to some ongoing depression.  Plus, she has no drive to exercise due to various other ailments and said emotional swings.  Perhaps a general overhaul of her diet is in order.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: January 26, 2020, 06:43:30 AM »
I would recommend, Simply Keto by Suzanne Ryan. It gives all the ins and outs in detail, but more than that, it has her inspirational story, as well as advise for meal planning, macro tracking (which I don't do at all), motivation, and best of all simple and delicious recipes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #867 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:55 AM »
mrs.jingle's b-day is coming up, and I'm seriously considering getting her a couple of Keto books.  I really am interested to try it (short-term), and based on Gregg's commentary, it might be the thing for her for a longer-period.  She's been going thru 'the change' for a while, and her body is really changing on her.  No immediate health issues, but weight gain, and general moodiness have contributed to some ongoing depression.  Plus, she has no drive to exercise due to various other ailments and said emotional swings.  Perhaps a general overhaul of her diet is in order.

Hmmm...this could go one of two ways...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:20 AM »

Agreed ... but it's not like I'm buying her a vacuum cleaner or a 6-pack of Pledge  :lol. she's bounced the idea of Keto around a couple times, so I don't think it's *too* risky.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #869 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
I'm kidding. I've bought my wife all kinds or equipment. She loves to exercise. 

Offline H2

« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
My third week of this very low carb/keto thing was a mix of week one and two.  Some points I felt great but other points felt shit.  I really like the eating through the week so will keep at it.  Changes in my stomach fat area are happening so so far so good.  Had a bit of a carb refeed last night though.  I find with the amount of activity I can't go through a whole week without changing it up and refeeding with some carbs.  Mentally too.  The 5 days per week of extremely low carbs is sitting well with me though.
Nice man - that's cool to hear that you're keeping at it and seeing results. Cutting sucks so much bro. It's hard in the wrong sort of way. Like, lifting heavy things and pushing yourself athletically is hard, but it leaves you with a satisfying feeling of exhaustion. But cutting especially with lo-carb just makes you feel bad. In my experience, anyway.

I've managed to keep the weight off since stopping keto, but am getting the strength back up. Feeling closer and closer to my best self which existed 4 years ago, where I was lifting and doing cardio in a great balance and felt pretty happy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2020, 02:46:41 PM »

Fuck dude, is this a secret kamikaze mission you've been given.  Good lord, you're a smart man, you really think this is a good idea?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »

Agreed ... but it's not like I'm buying her a vacuum cleaner or a 6-pack of Pledge  :lol. she's bounced the idea of Keto around a couple times, so I don't think it's *too* risky.

Maybe make sure you buy lots of jewelry also then.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
Nice man - that's cool to hear that you're keeping at it and seeing results. Cutting sucks so much bro. It's hard in the wrong sort of way. Like, lifting heavy things and pushing yourself athletically is hard, but it leaves you with a satisfying feeling of exhaustion. But cutting especially with lo-carb just makes you feel bad. In my experience, anyway.

I've managed to keep the weight off since stopping keto, but am getting the strength back up. Feeling closer and closer to my best self which existed 4 years ago, where I was lifting and doing cardio in a great balance and felt pretty happy.

It's a real balancing act mate.  I'm just trying to be sensible and intuitive.  So far so good.