Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191937 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #770 on: January 13, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »
Wolfking,

Yeah, I was kinda wondering how that was going to work out for you considering the amount of intense exercise you do. Sounds like it might not be the right fit.

As for me, so far so good. I'm feeling pretty knackered after my light morning workout, but I seem to bounce back pretty quickly. Within an hour I'm back to having energy but I suspect I'll need to eat more calories to have enough fuel to not feel that hour long crash. We'll see how this week goes.

I'm going to persist.  Pre workout is crucial and my Monday chest session was actually really quite good.  I felt like a zombie all day at work but usually, once I'm in there, I can go okay.  It will be my cardio sessions on the weekend that will be the test, that was the kicker for me.  The thing is though, I really like this way of eating, through the week anyway.  Greens, nuts, peanut butter, steak, salmon, chicken, some 100% beef sausages, the food is sitting well with me.  Makes the weekend cravings lower and took me less to get my 'cheat' fix, which is good.  Feel pretty shit this morning, but as I probably mentioned, I'm up at 4am which I think is a big factor also.  Thanks for the thoughts mate, I will persist and see how week 2 goes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: January 14, 2020, 07:00:05 AM »
Wolfking,

Here's an article I found on keto and it's effects on muscle building. It also touches on performance and energy (although that's not the thrust of the article) during intense activity/lifting. I know this is just a blog, and we should be skeptical of any writing that seems to suppose an outcome at the beginning, but this dude provides plenty of study and evidence to back up his position. Anyway, I found it informative, especially this bit.

In fact, keto-adapted athletes who were compared to athletes consuming around 600 grams of carbohydrates per day actually had similar levels of stored muscle glycogen. After exercise, the keto-adapted athletes were also able to replenish their levels of stored glycogen just as well as the carbohydrate-consuming athletes—despite consuming about 75% less carbohydrates during that period.14 Something happens to keto-adapted athletes that allow them to maintain glycogen levels at a high level. But what?

What this suggests, for you, is that if you actually get into ketosis and maintain it for a while, you will train your body to be more efficient at energy production and muscle recovery after a work out. At the same time you would receive the added benefit of reduced body fat.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: January 14, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
Good blog mate.  It does mean though my weekend 'cheat' 'refeed' would have to go.  Not sure if I want to do that.  It would have to go so I can maintain that consistency.  I know changing up all the time probably is not really going to do much or get much benefit.  It makes sense being in that state long term, your body has to adapt.

I like the part of the blog though that extra protein isn't a problem, that fits me nicely.

Had giant piece of salmon last night with a couple of eggs and green beans.  Fucking beautiful.  I really do enjoy the eating even though it's a littel restrictive.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #773 on: January 14, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
If I understand the foundation of keto, doesn't that 're-feed' meal kick you back out of ketosis?  Ergo your killing any/all effort of eating to get in ketosis 5 days a week, just to not be in ketosis for that re-feed?  Have I got it right?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: January 14, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
That's depends, Chad. We're all different. It took me five days on the diet before I ever reached ketosis the first time. Mrs. P took even longer, nearly a week. Currently, I could go out tonight for sushi and have a couple Kirin Ichiban's and be out of ketosis by morning. Yet, if I fast that morning (until noon) and loading up on "good" fats for dinner, I'd be back in the next morning. My wife would require a few days more. So, I could conceivably have "cheat" weekends, as long as I don't load up on sugars, and be just fine. I'm not sure about anybody else would though and I don't think I'd recommend it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: January 14, 2020, 04:57:42 PM »
If I understand the foundation of keto, doesn't that 're-feed' meal kick you back out of ketosis?  Ergo your killing any/all effort of eating to get in ketosis 5 days a week, just to not be in ketosis for that re-feed?  Have I got it right?

That's my line of thinking, and exactly what I'm probably doing haha.

That's depends, Chad. We're all different. It took me five days on the diet before I ever reached ketosis the first time. Mrs. P took even longer, nearly a week. Currently, I could go out tonight for sushi and have a couple Kirin Ichiban's and be out of ketosis by morning. Yet, if I fast that morning (until noon) and loading up on "good" fats for dinner, I'd be back in the next morning. My wife would require a few days more. So, I could conceivably have "cheat" weekends, as long as I don't load up on sugars, and be just fine. I'm not sure about anybody else would though and I don't think I'd recommend it.

That gives me some hope however.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #776 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »

You guys are amazing!  Thanks for the huge support.  This totally made my day when I read it.

I'm doing one thing at a time.  Once I have developed a good habit running and things are going well, then I will begin adjusting my food.

One thing I noticed that really made me happy was that after the first week was over, my body wanted more.  I remembered how I used to feel when I used to work out years ago.  And I couldn't wait to begin running 3/4 of a block.

I weighed myself on Monday and I lost 3 pounds from the previous week.  So even though my jogging sessions were short, it seemed to make a big difference.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:31:07 PM by Northern Lion »
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: January 14, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »
Next thing you need to do is learn how to quote.  :rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #778 on: January 14, 2020, 09:32:10 PM »
Next thing you need to do is learn how to quote.  :rollin

Lol!  Should have looked at the preview first.  All fixed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:28 PM »
Once I have developed a good habit running and things are going well, then I will begin adjusting my food.

Why wait?  Star adjusting now.  Start by taking out one thing that you eat that is bad.  Soft drink, that nightly piece of chocolate.  A scoop less ice cream, one less of anything you shouldn't be eating.  That's the start and then you could work from there.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #781 on: January 15, 2020, 07:00:20 AM »
All fixed.

It is?
I didn't want to make the post too long, but I also wanted to thank everyone so that's why I did it the way I did.  But it was a mess before I fixed it.

Once I have developed a good habit running and things are going well, then I will begin adjusting my food.

Why wait?  Star adjusting now.  Start by taking out one thing that you eat that is bad.  Soft drink, that nightly piece of chocolate.  A scoop less ice cream, one less of anything you shouldn't be eating.  That's the start and then you could work from there.
Mostly, I don't want to change too many things at once and get overwhelmed.  I want to make sure what I'm doing is sustainable for the long haul.

I do want to change food also, but I need to do some more thinking about it and figure out a good iterative plan that I know I will be able to stick to.

My wife is a really good cook and when it comes to my regular meals I don't think there is a whole lot to change.  The largest downside to my diet is my sugar intake.  But that is my fault.  However, since I began working from home that has been a lot easier to curb.

But, I do have some work to do on my breakfasts.  Right now they are only carbs.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
All fixed.

It is?
I didn't want to make the post too long, but I also wanted to thank everyone so that's why I did it the way I did.  But it was a mess before I fixed it.

Mostly, I don't want to change too many things at once and get overwhelmed.  I want to make sure what I'm doing is sustainable for the long haul.

I do want to change food also, but I need to do some more thinking about it and figure out a good iterative plan that I know I will be able to stick to.

My wife is a really good cook and when it comes to my regular meals I don't think there is a whole lot to change.  The largest downside to my diet is my sugar intake.  But that is my fault.  However, since I began working from home that has been a lot easier to curb.

But, I do have some work to do on my breakfasts.  Right now they are only carbs.

Echoing what others have said, I would advise you dive head first into nutrition. Take it from a life-long exercise/diet nut, nutrition is the key to everything...you can't outrun or outlift a bad diet.

I've had numerous friends 'talk' about and 'plan' the changes they need to make for years, all the while just getting more and more out of shape. Once you hit your mid-30's, time is always ticking, so I'd strongly advise anyone who's thinking about getting back in shape to start yesterday!

Offline H2

« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »
Anyone try this website? -- pretty cool for setting strength goals! https://symmetricstrength.com/

I'm just getting back to things so I'm not going to post my stats now, but when I was in shape I think my Squats and Deadlifts were in the low Intermediate range and my Bench and Chin-Ups were in the low Proficient tier. I hope to get all my lifts into the Proficient range this year.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
All fixed.

It is?

Echoing what others have said, I would advise you dive head first into nutrition. Take it from a life-long exercise/diet nut, nutrition is the key to everything...you can't outrun or outlift a bad diet.

I've had numerous friends 'talk' about and 'plan' the changes they need to make for years, all the while just getting more and more out of shape. Once you hit your mid-30's, time is always ticking, so I'd strongly advise anyone who's thinking about getting back in shape to start yesterday!

Yeah, heard so many times, I'm going to do this and going to start this.......well......when? haha.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »

Yeah, heard so many times, I'm going to do this and going to start this.......well......when? haha.

I agree with the both of you.  But if I jump all in, I will end up drowning and I'll just get discouraged.  That's what happened last year with my efforts to go without sugar.  Once the pounds stopped coming off I got discouraged and gave up.

I'm a big guy and have been away from excersize for a long time.  This is a big ship I need to turn around.

I want success, so about a month ago I did some research on how to stay committed and faithful to my goals.  And the advice was fairly consistant; small, easy to follow, measurable steps.  That is why I chose jogging.

For one, I picked something I used to like that way I wouldn't hate doing it.  And I purposefully wear my jogging clothes until lunch when I go run, that way I have little excuse when my alarm goes off and reminds me.

Then I made a plan to run a mile by the end of the year.  That is easily measurable and can be divided into smaller mile stones for myself.  This is something I can have almost complete control over the outcome, loosing weight, I found out last year, I didn't have as much control over as I thought.

So this year my goal is distance and not weight loss.  However, some weight loss may end up being a side benefit, but it's not the goal.

Like I said though, nutrition may also come into play during this year, but I want to make sure I have developed a good habit and am making consistant headway towards my distance goal.

And, I want my nutrition goal to work much the same way. Small, easy to follow, measurable steps.

In other words, I can't eat a whole elephant at once, so instead I'm eating it one bite at a time.  :)  Going this route will take me a few years to get myself back to the way I used to look, but I'm OK with that.  It's certainly progress forward and considerably better than I have done during the past 15 years or so.

I hope all this makes sense.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
NL... I was pretty much in this same boat as you in 2005.  240lbs, and wanting to drop the weight.  I started exercising (stationary bike).  After a month, nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Bubkiss.  It was kinda demoralizing.  Then, an epiphany.  Weight-loss is fairly simple formula - burn more calories than you consume.  Do not ignore the 'calories in' portion of that equation.  Three very easy things I did to start with:

1 - Just eat smaller portion sizes... no need to change WHAT you eat, just eat less.  I remember reading that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the signal from your stomach that you're full.  So, I cut my portion size by 1/3rd, and stopped picking at the leftovers on the plates of mrs.jingle and jingle.kids.  If I was still hungry after a meal, I would wait 30 minutes before eating anything.  Invariably, 30 minutes later, I wasn't "still hungry".

2 - Don't drink your calories.  Not sure if your a Starbucks latte/cappuccino kinda guy, but those (and soft drinks as Wolfking eluded to) are worthless calories.  Don't waste your calories.

3 - Water.  Drink lots of water.  Another thing I read is that a lot of people confuse the feeling of hunger and the feeling of thirst.  Drinking lots of water not only increases metabolism, but it does contribute to satiation.

As *everyone* is saying, the sooner you take into account the calories-in side of things, the faster you'll see results.  My experience was actually pretty discouraging UNTIL I started paying attention to the nutrition side of things.

And truthfully, I need to get back there.  I'm trying to get to 10% BF, and been hovering at about 14.5% for a year or so - and I KNOW it's my nutrition that is preventing me from getting where I want to be.  William's comment was spot on - you can't out-work a bad diet.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »

I agree with the both of you.  But if I jump all in, I will end up drowning and I'll just get discouraged.  That's what happened last year with my efforts to go without sugar.  Once the pounds stopped coming off I got discouraged and gave up.

I'm a big guy and have been away from excersize for a long time.  This is a big ship I need to turn around.

I want success, so about a month ago I did some research on how to stay committed and faithful to my goals.  And the advice was fairly consistant; small, easy to follow, measurable steps.  That is why I chose jogging.

For one, I picked something I used to like that way I wouldn't hate doing it.  And I purposefully wear my jogging clothes until lunch when I go run, that way I have little excuse when my alarm goes off and reminds me.

Then I made a plan to run a mile by the end of the year.  That is easily measurable and can be divided into smaller mile stones for myself.  This is something I can have almost complete control over the outcome, loosing weight, I found out last year, I didn't have as much control over as I thought.

So this year my goal is distance and not weight loss.  However, some weight loss may end up being a side benefit, but it's not the goal.

Like I said though, nutrition may also come into play during this year, but I want to make sure I have developed a good habit and am making consistant headway towards my distance goal.

And, I want my nutrition goal to work much the same way. Small, easy to follow, measurable steps.

In other words, I can't eat a whole elephant at once, so instead I'm eating it one bite at a time.  :)  Going this route will take me a few years to get myself back to the way I used to look, but I'm OK with that.  It's certainly progress forward and considerably better than I have done during the past 15 years or so.

I hope all this makes sense.

I've been there too mate.  Lost about 45kg (100lbs) myself over the years.  You're right, it's not easy.  And it takes time.  The food is difficult, you need to shift your lifestyle totally and really do a complete 180 with what you eat day in, day out.  It's actually pretty easy to lose weight, but keeping it off long term is where people struggle.  That's why I think you need to slowly change what you eat.  Once you make progress, get some understanding and get a bit fitter and a bit more active, you will have the freedom to add things in here and there.

In relation to upping the activity and focusing more on that than weight loss, that could go either way.  You still need to have some control on your food.  If you want to get fitter and increase your distance in running etc., you'll need better options to eat daily and lose some weight.  To get fitter, faster and go further, that comes with the fuel you eat and how heavy you are too.  If the weight loss comes due to the extra activity without you changing much, that's good but may put you in a bit of a false sense of security.

As Chad said, cut down your portions, that's a great place to start.  But start being mindful and think about what you eat more.  It takes, willpower, strength and the want to do it.  I found the real want to do it came with time.  I was half hearted for a long time, but the more I started to lose, the more motivated I became. 

I think the key here is, If you DON'T start changing your diet now, than you may not see any results even with the extra activity and that will discourage you and you may give up anyway.  You need to see some results to keep you going.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
!
« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »
Thanks Jingle!

Some of those things you mentioned I'm already doing such as drinking a lot of water.  That has been a habit of mine for many years.  I don't drink soda unless I go out to eat, but if there was one good thing that came out of my sugar fast this past year it was being able to kick the soda habbit, so I don't even get soda when I go out to eat anymore.  Also, I don't drink coffee or tea anyway so no worry there.

I could stand to eat a little less at meal time, and I like your strategy.

My largest weekness by a country mile has been sweets.  I developed a sweet tooth at a very young age and have been more-or-less addicted to them every since.  But it didn't start catching up with me until I stopped working out when I met my wife.  And I'm sure getting older was certainly part of that too.

When I began working from home, it actually helped a lot.  We don't keep sweets around the house, and there aren't any close by bakeries or anything.  So if I wanted a sweet, I'd need to make it myself, which I rarely do.

I only started working from home right before the holidays and so I won't really begin to know what effect it will have on my weight until a few months from now.

So, I guess I have made some changes over the past year, they have just been more circumstantial than anything else.

And, like I said before, my wife is a good cook and makes healthly meals for my family.  She isn't overweight at all and neither are any of my kids.  And because of that, they probably won't develope the same sweet tooth I have.  So hopefully they won't suffer the same struggles I have.

And just so all of you know, I'm not trying to make excuses.  It's just a big ship that will take a while to turn around.  And the fact that all of you have been so suportive and have offered good advice, tells me you want me to succeed.  That means a LOT.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:00:57 PM by Northern Lion »

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #789 on: January 15, 2020, 04:44:59 PM »
I've been there too mate.  Lost about 45kg (100lbs) myself over the years.  You're right, it's not easy.  And it takes time.  The food is difficult, you need to shift your lifestyle totally and really do a complete 180 with what you eat day in, day out.  It's actually pretty easy to lose weight, but keeping it off long term is where people struggle.  That's why I think you need to slowly change what you eat.  Once you make progress, get some understanding and get a bit fitter and a bit more active, you will have the freedom to add things in here and there.

In relation to upping the activity and focusing more on that than weight loss, that could go either way.  You still need to have some control on your food.  If you want to get fitter and increase your distance in running etc., you'll need better options to eat daily and lose some weight.  To get fitter, faster and go further, that comes with the fuel you eat and how heavy you are too.  If the weight loss comes due to the extra activity without you changing much, that's good but may put you in a bit of a false sense of security.

As Chad said, cut down your portions, that's a great place to start.  But start being mindful and think about what you eat more.  It takes, willpower, strength and the want to do it.  I found the real want to do it came with time.  I was half hearted for a long time, but the more I started to lose, the more motivated I became. 

I think the key here is, If you DON'T start changing your diet now, than you may not see any results even with the extra activity and that will discourage you and you may give up anyway.  You need to see some results to keep you going.

I see what you mean now.  Gotcha!  I guess I've become a bit hesitant because of my failure last year.  Although, I didn't gain all the weight back that I lost, I did gain back about 2/3rds of it.

The heaviest I've ever been was 293.  It scared me that I might pass 300.  So I lost a little and maintained 285 for several years.  That's what I started at last year.  This year I am starting at 275.

And you're right, I need to be "all in" in order to make a lasting change and not half hearted.  It is encouraging to hear a few success stories of folks who have been where I am and have successfully lost the weight, got in shape and basically stayed that way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: January 15, 2020, 08:28:16 PM »
Absolutely we all want everyone to succeed.  Accountability is a big piece of success, imo... so that's what I'm here for. When I first lost my weight (from 240 down to 185ish), I kept it off for the most part for almost 10 years.  Gradually (during the worst years of my depression), I ended up creeping up to 215ish.  I got back down to 176 about a year ago, but am back up in the low 180s.  Goal is to be in the mid 170s and 10% BF by the time I hit 50.  I got just under 2 years to get there.

@ Kade... shit dude, I didn't know you were a fat bastard man!   :rollin  I always thought you were a guy in good shape!

I got back on the bandwagon tonight.  I was pretty diligent over the holidays - actually getting in 2 workouts per day (one weight or HIIT; one session on the bike) to account for the extra food and drink.  Held up pretty good - virtually stayed flat on my weight and BF.  Last week while traveling for work ... not so much.  Only got 2 light workouts in.  Tonight, started month 2 of a p90x cycle - chest/shoulders/tris.  And man am I feeling it - in a good way.

Been doing Yoga once a week, and trying to stretch daily.  You younglings out there take note ... you'll have to do it soon enough too.  Gary will back me up here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: January 15, 2020, 08:34:10 PM »

I see what you mean now.  Gotcha!  I guess I've become a bit hesitant because of my failure last year.  Although, I didn't gain all the weight back that I lost, I did gain back about 2/3rds of it.

The heaviest I've ever been was 293.  It scared me that I might pass 300.  So I lost a little and maintained 285 for several years.  That's what I started at last year.  This year I am starting at 275.

And you're right, I need to be "all in" in order to make a lasting change and not half hearted.  It is encouraging to hear a few success stories of folks who have been where I am and have successfully lost the weight, got in shape and basically stayed that way.

It takes time man.  As we said and you said, small steps.  I will say it's good that you are saying that you can't and haven't made a change.  Be true and real to yourself is my other piece of advice.  Some people cheat themselves and lie and say they are eating good when they are clearly not.  At least you are not doing that and lying to yourself.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: January 15, 2020, 09:32:34 PM »
Absolutely we all want everyone to succeed.  Accountability is a big piece of success, imo... so that's what I'm here for. When I first lost my weight (from 240 down to 185ish), I kept it off for the most part for almost 10 years.  Gradually (during the worst years of my depression), I ended up creeping up to 215ish.  I got back down to 176 about a year ago, but am back up in the low 180s.  Goal is to be in the mid 170s and 10% BF by the time I hit 50.  I got just under 2 years to get there.

@ Kade... shit dude, I didn't know you were a fat bastard man!   :rollin  I always thought you were a guy in good shape!

I got back on the bandwagon tonight.  I was pretty diligent over the holidays - actually getting in 2 workouts per day (one weight or HIIT; one session on the bike) to account for the extra food and drink.  Held up pretty good - virtually stayed flat on my weight and BF.  Last week while traveling for work ... not so much.  Only got 2 light workouts in.  Tonight, started month 2 of a p90x cycle - chest/shoulders/tris.  And man am I feeling it - in a good way.

Been doing Yoga once a week, and trying to stretch daily.  You younglings out there take note ... you'll have to do it soon enough too.  Gary will back me up here.

Yeah, I was a blob until about 28.  Had no background in anything fitness related.  It's been a long hard road but a very enjoyable one.  Very happy with where I'm at and where I'm heading.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good mate.  2 workouts a day is pretty full on.  When I finally get my ass over for a visit, we'll do a session together.  Tim can come too.  :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
Holidays didn't go too bad for me, had a few big meals with the family but been getting back into rhythm for the past seven or so days and right now I'm at 151 lbs/68,6 kg and feeling pretty good (as opposed to 180 lbs in last September). Gonna maintain the diet for one more month until my short vacation in February and look into the local gyms after that.

One downside though, remember my rant when the post office didn't notify me and sent my package back? It was the new Vanden Plas album and a t-shirt I ordered back in September. Well, after all the hassle it finally arrived yesterday (which prompted me to make this post) and it's way too fucking huge for me. :lol Actually most of my metal t-shirts are too big now. I've to resort wearing my Blind Guardian shirt from At the Edge of Time tour. :lol

:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:32 PM »
I hear ya Ruslan... I have two batches of concert tee-shirts now.  My XL's which are really baggy on me, and my L's which are a pretty good fit.  I've got a couple of M's which fit a little too tight, but not quite sausage-tight.  Thing is, I'm 6'2", so I need the length as much as the overall girth.

Yeah yeah .... :heybaby: :eyebrows:

Get your minds out of the gutter.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good mate.  2 workouts a day is pretty full on.  When I finally get my ass over for a visit, we'll do a session together.  Tim can come too.  :D

I'm counting on it - not the Tim part, but getting sweaty with you.  Wait ... nevermind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: January 16, 2020, 04:05:45 AM »
Yeah, me too, it's annoying seeing all these cool t-shirts that can't be worn.

Huh, I too am 6'2" mate.  :tup

Offline H2

« Reply #796 on: January 16, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
Yeah, I was a blob until about 28.  Had no background in anything fitness related.  It's been a long hard road but a very enjoyable one.  Very happy with where I'm at and where I'm heading.
Wow, wolfy, I would have guessed you were younger, more like my age. (I'm 28 now, and I'm assuming you've been in the game for a few years.) I think it must be because you carry such a youthful optimism and energy. Cool to see. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: January 16, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »
I've also got the tshirt problem  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
On the subject of diet and fitness, my recent journey has reinforced that approach in unexpected ways. As you may recall, my motivation for the radical change in my diet was to climb down from the brink of type 2 diabetes. I just wanted my A1c's scores to go down...and they did. Dramatically. In the process I also shed 35 lbs in roughly four months (I'm currently down 40 lbs from where I began). I've had many positive feelings about the weight loss that wasn't my goal but has been a pleasant surprise.

The biggest surprise has been this past week though. I set some pretty modest workout goals involving yoga and weight lifting and exceeded them almost immediately! In order to get that "pleasant soreness" that (I assume) we all shoot for, I've really had to increase the number of yoga poses and double the length of time I hold said poses. As for the lifting, I've had to increase the reps and weight on nearly every set. Now, I've gone through all this before (about 10 years ago) and I really found it difficult to get this kind of progress when I started out at my heavy weight. I was forced to have way more drive and discipline than I do now. I attribute the ease, and commensurate enjoyment, of getting back into exercise directly to not having to fight against the extra body fat! My balance and endurance has been a huge surprise. I'm excited to improve them further.

I'm only sharing my journey to be part of the group here. Not to convince anyone of "my way", so take it with a grain of salt. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have found an eating philosophy that suits me to a tee and that I find enjoyable. Northern Lion, I truly hope you can find something similar.

Oh, and Wolfy, I've discovered that if I immediately eat a significant portion of protein and fat, generously salted, I bounce back pretty quickly from post workout exhaustion. Maybe 10 minutes. My energy throughout the day hasn't been significantly effected...that I can tell.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
Sharing your journey is motivation.   :yarr

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
Sharing your journey is motivation.   :yarr

Darn right it is!  Good on ya Gregg.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
I have some awesome news I am dying to share but can't for the time being, but let's just say I have found the biggest motivator I've had - ever - to work harder than ever in the gym. I've got most of the year to do it. Every night this week I've hit the gym for a couple hours, mostly cardio, and I was doing well in December too, so I'm on the upswing. Also since the start of the year I've forced myself to do 10 pushups and situps every time I lose a match in Smash Bros. which has made me a very sore but happy person  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »
Wow, wolfy, I would have guessed you were younger, more like my age. (I'm 28 now, and I'm assuming you've been in the game for a few years.) I think it must be because you carry such a youthful optimism and energy. Cool to see. :)

Thanks for the nice compliment.  You mustn't see all my posts however if you think I have a youthful optimism.  :lol  But this is very nice so I really appreciate it.  Yeah, 35 now going on 36 in May.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: January 16, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
On the subject of diet and fitness, my recent journey has reinforced that approach in unexpected ways. As you may recall, my motivation for the radical change in my diet was to climb down from the brink of type 2 diabetes. I just wanted my A1c's scores to go down...and they did. Dramatically. In the process I also shed 35 lbs in roughly four months (I'm currently down 40 lbs from where I began). I've had many positive feelings about the weight loss that wasn't my goal but has been a pleasant surprise.

The biggest surprise has been this past week though. I set some pretty modest workout goals involving yoga and weight lifting and exceeded them almost immediately! In order to get that "pleasant soreness" that (I assume) we all shoot for, I've really had to increase the number of yoga poses and double the length of time I hold said poses. As for the lifting, I've had to increase the reps and weight on nearly every set. Now, I've gone through all this before (about 10 years ago) and I really found it difficult to get this kind of progress when I started out at my heavy weight. I was forced to have way more drive and discipline than I do now. I attribute the ease, and commensurate enjoyment, of getting back into exercise directly to not having to fight against the extra body fat! My balance and endurance has been a huge surprise. I'm excited to improve them further.

I'm only sharing my journey to be part of the group here. Not to convince anyone of "my way", so take it with a grain of salt. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have found an eating philosophy that suits me to a tee and that I find enjoyable. Northern Lion, I truly hope you can find something similar.

Oh, and Wolfy, I've discovered that if I immediately eat a significant portion of protein and fat, generously salted, I bounce back pretty quickly from post workout exhaustion. Maybe 10 minutes. My energy throughout the day hasn't been significantly effected...that I can tell.

That's good mate.  you've done well with the diabetes.  As with the exercise, it's always great to want to excel but setting realistic small goals in what you want to achieve is helpful.  When I started lifting I set unrealistic weight expectations I wanted to hit and was nowhere near them.  I would get discouraged, try and lift something harder and end up hurting myself.  As for the drive adn motivation, I find a better diet in turn motivates you in your workouts also.  They both go hand in hand.  Not to mention the less weight and overall better nutrition helps performance and attitude.  People really don't take notice on how much the type of food affects us all the way from a physical point and even a mental point IMO.

I've been a bit better this week.  See how my weekend goes.  I have been using quite a bit of that cracked pink salt too on most things.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: January 16, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
I have some awesome news I am dying to share but can't for the time being, but let's just say I have found the biggest motivator I've had - ever - to work harder than ever in the gym. I've got most of the year to do it. Every night this week I've hit the gym for a couple hours, mostly cardio, and I was doing well in December too, so I'm on the upswing. Also since the start of the year I've forced myself to do 10 pushups and situps every time I lose a match in Smash Bros. which has made me a very sore but happy person  :lol

Why can't you share?