Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 200344 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #910 on: February 11, 2020, 01:07:12 PM »
to be sure, you mean 50g of carbs, not 50 calories of carbs.  right?

Correct.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: February 11, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
So I'm developing a new diet/fitness regime, and I just need a little help with one step. Here's what I got so far.

1) Eat whatever you want
2) Do whatever you want
3) ?????????
4) Be in great shape.

So I think I've done the heavy lifting on points 1, 2, and 4 but could use help with the mostly insignificant step 3.

Create custom definition of "great shape"

Round is a shape... some people think it's great.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: February 11, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
Podaar, do you know what telltale signs to look for to know you are in ketosis?  I've been going pretty well, extremely low carb through the week but a bit higher on the weekends to keep sane.  Not really trying per se to make sure I get to ketosis level, just curious to know.

The only way to be sure is to pee on one of these reagent strips.

That being said, I can usually tell by how dry my mouth feels. It's a strange sensation, I can feel saliva in my mouth, but my teeth feel dry(?). I find the sensation to be more pronounced in the morning. Does your wife accuse you of dragon breath every morning?

Edit: If you're eating less than 50 carbs per day, you should be in ketosis. If you're eating less than 20 carbs per day, you surely must be in ketosis.

Yeah, I thought that was the only way.  I'm not going to bother going that far into it.  Some times I do get the dry mouth feel.  Like a drink shit loads of water but still feel kind of dry.  My guess is I'm around the 50g of carbs a day.  20g sounds near impossible.  My misses doesn't accuse me of dragon breath though, so perhaps I'm not in ketosis.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: February 11, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
My progress is going okay, although some days are harder than others.  Yesterdays leg session was quite weak.  I'm feeling a bit weaker in my squats and deadlifts, yet my upper body movements actually are a little stronger.  My fat loss is still happening, but shifting this stomach fat is beyond difficult, and such a mental challenge.

Anyway, had a dream about Krispy Kreme's last night so not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing in relation to my diet.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #914 on: February 11, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Think I'm in the middle of some kind of depression. No clinical diagnosis but it's just a herculean effort to get anything done physically. Taking out the trash? I'll shove it down a little more and take it out tomorrow. Dishes? Eh, tomorrow. Cooking? Why bother, it's just me, way too much effort. Gym? Sure, just let me take 1-2 hours to work up the motivation just to put on my gym clothes and pack my bag... Even work, since I work 2 minutes from home... roll out of bed 20 minutes before work, take a quick shower and head out the door. Real simple stuff, just getting harder and harder to do. It sucks.

That said... I've been forcing myself out on good days. Did almost 2 full hours of HIIT cardio over the weekend in a single go, and forced myself out at 10 last night to do some more. Incorporating fresh fruit back into my diet again, and trying to cut out most meat simply because although I love meat, if it isn't seafood or chicken, I feel bad and heavy after eating it. The rice cooker is still a lifesaver. Some days it's just easier to throw a pizza in the oven.

Got my bag all made out and sitting in the car, headphones are charged, wired headphones as backup are there too, running shoes are there... still a great chance of me saying screw it and going home after work instead of the gym. 90 minutes to go.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:04 PM »
Think I'm in the middle of some kind of depression. No clinical diagnosis but it's just a herculean effort to get anything done physically. Taking out the trash? I'll shove it down a little more and take it out tomorrow. Dishes? Eh, tomorrow. Cooking? Why bother, it's just me, way too much effort. Gym? Sure, just let me take 1-2 hours to work up the motivation just to put on my gym clothes and pack my bag... Even work, since I work 2 minutes from home... roll out of bed 20 minutes before work, take a quick shower and head out the door. Real simple stuff, just getting harder and harder to do. It sucks.

That said... I've been forcing myself out on good days. Did almost 2 full hours of HIIT cardio over the weekend in a single go, and forced myself out at 10 last night to do some more. Incorporating fresh fruit back into my diet again, and trying to cut out most meat simply because although I love meat, if it isn't seafood or chicken, I feel bad and heavy after eating it. The rice cooker is still a lifesaver. Some days it's just easier to throw a pizza in the oven.

Got my bag all made out and sitting in the car, headphones are charged, wired headphones as backup are there too, running shoes are there... still a great chance of me saying screw it and going home after work instead of the gym. 90 minutes to go.

This is kind of my life too in a way Michael.  As I get older it seems harder and harder to see the point in anything and the point in life in general.  For me, day to day things in life just seem like big tasks.  Paying bills, making phone calls for finances and shit, just so difficult.  Even going to the shops and buying stuff and replacing things I just couldn't be fucked.  The PC I'm on still runs XP and is about 15 years old and slow as fuck.  I need to update and get a new one, but going out looking and getting something, I just couldn't be fucked doing, too much effort.  Work 12 hours and then just get home and crash.  No desire to go out, do things, don't want to see anyone, just couldn't be fucked. 

On the other hand, my training is one of the only things that keeps me sane.  You've been through a lot mate, so cut yourself some slack.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: February 11, 2020, 02:43:59 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. "Fuck this, fuck that, fuck you" sums it up.  :lol It really does suck. I dunno, it's like a switch flipped at the start of the year; as soon as I get off work, I no longer have any energy to do much, instead I just want nothing more than to sleep. Maybe I should start taking hour-long naps after work; I took a power nap from 5:30-6 last night and actually felt great. I usually nap on lunch, but not after work.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: February 11, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. "Fuck this, fuck that, fuck you" sums it up.  :lol It really does suck. I dunno, it's like a switch flipped at the start of the year; as soon as I get off work, I no longer have any energy to do much, instead I just want nothing more than to sleep. Maybe I should start taking hour-long naps after work; I took a power nap from 5:30-6 last night and actually felt great. I usually nap on lunch, but not after work.

I think a lot of my posts lately relate to this statement.  :lol

I do think lack of sleep due to work hours causes a lot of my neagtive feelings and emotions really.  Some days I just drive to work, then have to sit in the car for 10 minutes in the parking lot just to muster up some energy to get in there and start my day.  Even driving home, I'll put off putting fuel in the car cause I couldn't be assed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: February 11, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »

For me, I took a look in the mirror (both literally and metaphorically) and said to myself "is this the life I want to live?"  Last May, being fat, single, and lonely was a real eye opener for me and I was very depressed.  I used that as motivation.  You only got one life and it ticks away every second so if you want to be happy, you got to make the most of it.  Obviously putting the dishes away doesn't change much, but for me, it's about how you view your time in this life.  If you WANT to be happy, it's there for the taking.  I didn't break my depression until September, it takes a lot of time and having a "Fuck this, fuck that, fuck you" attitude isn't going to fix it.  Look inner at ways you can better yourself to be happy.  No one is going to do it for you. I was saying "fuck you" to myself for awhile to kick myself back into it.  The hard work pays off.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #919 on: February 11, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
  Some days I just drive to work, then have to sit in the car for 10 minutes in the parking lot just to muster up some energy to get in there and start my day. 

This happened to me last week. I parked my car and then was simply paralyzed. I did not want to go in. At all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: February 11, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with body dysmorphia. I looked in the mirror yesterday and I looked fine. Yet every day, for most of my life, I just hate my body, the way I feel, I always think I'm super fat and I'm not even close to being fat to begin with, objectively. Even at the peak of my physical shape a few years ago I felt that way. Never found a way to overcome it, so I just make jokes and bottle the negative vibes up as much as I can. The mockery as a kid has always been fuel to work out, but the catch-22 is that it's given me some devastating lifelong self-esteem issues that I'm fully aware of, but unable to figure out how to overcome permanently, if it's even possible.

So I'll likely still hit the gym in 30 minutes, work my ass off as always, and still be unhappy with myself - but it's a better alternative than sitting at home not venting some frustration on the treadmill. Some days I get dressed and make it all the way out to the gym - and then I just drive back home and think about the hundred other personal problems I have and which one I should try avoiding first.  :lol

I have a lot of issues to work through.  :) :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: February 11, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
  Some days I just drive to work, then have to sit in the car for 10 minutes in the parking lot just to muster up some energy to get in there and start my day. 

This happened to me last week. I parked my car and then was simply paralyzed. I did not want to go in. At all.

Amen mate.  That 10 minutes you sit there is just so strange, a weird feeling I can't describe.  Something you do everyday yet you literally have to pull yourself out of the car and walk inside. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: February 11, 2020, 03:36:34 PM »
He's in the parking lot
Just sitting in his car
It's 9 o'clock, but he can't get out  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: February 11, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
He's in the parking lot
Just sitting in his car
It's 9 o'clock, but he can't get out  :lol

So,  I'm posting right now on my phone.  I'm in the work parking lot and it's 9:02.  I shit you not.  I'm listening to Insomnium though.  Should have grabbed my Awake cd before leaving.   :lol

I should have been here about half an hour ago, but I just don't care.

Edit:  Shit, where did all these ants come from and why are they in my fucking car?

Edit 2:  I should get out.  But maybe 5 more minutes won't hurt.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #924 on: February 11, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
Look on the bright side...you have your new co-manager to help you! :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: February 11, 2020, 04:10:06 PM »
Look on the bright side...you have your new co-manager to help you! :neverusethis:

Yeah, it's been really busy so still just doing a lot of the work alone.  I've put him in his place slightly and just dealing with him and he's pulled his head in slightly for now.  At this point just don't care and not stressing over it all.  It is what it is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: February 11, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
Alright, 9:14, better get in there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: February 11, 2020, 05:18:24 PM »
 :rollin

Godspeed, soldier. I didn't make it to the gym. Knowing me this means I either will get a wild hair up my ass in 3 hours and go late at night or just not go at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: February 11, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »

Godspeed, soldier. I didn't make it to the gym. Knowing me this means I either will get a wild hair up my ass in 3 hours and go late at night or just not go at all.

WTF!?    :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: February 11, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
Wild hair up your ass?  You been eating seasoned cramx3 rump?  :biggrin: I was super tired today, just hit the bike for 15 minutes after work and called it a night.  I actually still have this cold from over a week ago now and I was good with the diet today, just very low energy.  It's been so rainy and dark here lately as well, not helping the vibe.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #930 on: February 11, 2020, 07:40:20 PM »
WTF is this? The DTF Chick Thread?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »

Case in point... about to head to the gym now. This is my life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: February 12, 2020, 04:29:16 AM »
We are really good at fucking up threads.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: February 12, 2020, 05:16:45 AM »
What the actual mother fuck? This thread took a dark turn. I'm really sorry that y'all suffer from depression. I've been really fortunate in my life and never had that problem, but I can certainly empathize. Here's to brighter days. :thursday:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: February 12, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
Eh, it's not like I'm moping about or have a woe-is-me attitude, so it could be a lot worse. It's just a palpable malaise of sorts. Last night was a good night; an hour of HIIT cardio followed by a brief lifting session. Hooray.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #935 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:41 AM »
Group (bro) hugs.  Depression... been there; done that.  Ain't no fun.  Work has been crazy busy for me lately... haven't had much of chance to post, but I'll try to fire something together later today on this matter - exercise and mental fitness... no shame in discussing the latter here as well - hence the thread title change.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #936 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »
I'm sure there's some scientific correlation, but I do think working out played a huge role in over coming my depression (plus time and other factors).  Just not being proud of my body and putting myself in a position to be proud of it really makes a difference.  I mean, I'm not proud of it right now, I'm not there yet, but I am proud of the change and getting lots of positive feedback from people as they see the change really helps overcome those depressive feelings and thoughts.  I don't think I ever had depression before until my x dumped me so all of last summer was a new and pretty shitty experience, but working out definitely helped get over the hump.  I don't see anything wrong with lumping the effects of exercise and mental health into this thread, not any different than nutrition being a big part of overall fitness.  Your head plays a role too. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Busting ass in the gym is a great way to get over those negative vibes. Years and years ago when I was fresh out of high school I stopped lifting weights (started as a sophomore) for a couple years, then everything went south and that's when I cultivated an obsession with the gym.

Very few things feel better than showing up to the gym with a bad attitude or negative vibes and just sweating tf out for an hour or two. Then coming home and having a well deserved sleep.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: February 12, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
I'm sure there's some scientific correlation, but I do think working out played a huge role in over coming my depression (plus time and other factors).  Just not being proud of my body and putting myself in a position to be proud of it really makes a difference.  I mean, I'm not proud of it right now, I'm not there yet, but I am proud of the change and getting lots of positive feedback from people as they see the change really helps overcome those depressive feelings and thoughts.  I don't think I ever had depression before until my x dumped me so all of last summer was a new and pretty shitty experience, but working out definitely helped get over the hump.  I don't see anything wrong with lumping the effects of exercise and mental health into this thread, not any different than nutrition being a big part of overall fitness.  Your head plays a role too.

Seeing this reminded me, I never told anyone at work that I'm losing weight, but apparently it shows. This Monday, an old lady at work celebrated her 70something's birthday (76 I think) so she baked an apple pie at home, brought it to work and was giving the slices out to the coworkers. When I wished her a happy birthday, she offered me an apple in case I didn't want a slice of pie. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: February 12, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »
Group (bro) hugs.  Depression... been there; done that.  Ain't no fun.  Work has been crazy busy for me lately... haven't had much of chance to post, but I'll try to fire something together later today on this matter - exercise and mental fitness... no shame in discussing the latter here as well - hence the thread title change.

Same.  It's kind of funny how we all seem to somewhat follow similar patterns.  Weeks ago posts from all left right and centre then we all die off at the same time due to business.  Quite interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: February 12, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
What the actual mother fuck? This thread took a dark turn. I'm really sorry that y'all suffer from depression. I've been really fortunate in my life and never had that problem, but I can certainly empathize. Here's to brighter days. :thursday:

You're a blessed man than mate.  More power to you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: February 12, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
I've been so exhausted and depleted this week, I have a mid week nightly serve of 50g of oats.  That only equates to around 25-30g of carbs so not too bad.  Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying this keto style of eating but that small serve with protein powder and a generous tablespoon of PB was very good.  I think with my training regime however, it's warranted.  I love the high fat and protein eating so just sticking to that with some carbs here and there I think is working fine.  Don't want to make the mid week thing a habit though if I can help it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: February 12, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »
It won't kill you. But that's awesome. If you're exhausted and depleted, go for it.

No gym for me tonight - roads became awful this afternoon. Early bedtime for this chump.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: February 13, 2020, 04:22:13 AM »
It won't kill you. But that's awesome. If you're exhausted and depleted, go for it.

No gym for me tonight - roads became awful this afternoon. Early bedtime for this chump.

The older I get, the more and more I love an early bedtime.

Yeah and it won't kill me.  Fo have to break those mental chains.  Thinking it's a sin and it will hurt me is what lead me down an eating disorder path.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #944 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:38 AM »
On the topic of mental fitness, as most know, I've battled various degrees of depression for a long time (not even realizing it in my teens and 20s).  I've had it under control for a few years now, but the past 2 weeks I've been in a bit of a malaise.  Had a great workout 2 weeks ago, which wiped me out for a couple of days (that was fine).  But then life and work/family priorities consumed pretty much all of my disposable time.  Now I'm in the 'fuckit' mindset.  I just gotta force myself to get changed into my workout clothes, and head downstairs - I'm lucky that way, that my gym only takes about 30 seconds to get to.  I ALWAYS feel better during and after it, it's just a matter of getting my mindset to get there.  There's just so many demands (both discretionary and non-discretionary) on my time, I'm torn all to hell about what I want to do... read  (there's a lot I've got backlogged - comics, new books, old books, articles...?  Game (I've got 6 that I haven't even touched yet)?  Watch TV/movies I'm backlogged on?  Self-help stuff I've had saved for months that I want/need to get to?  Watch concert DVDs?  Watch Leafs/Raptors?  Ugh.

Doesn't help that I'm riddled with guilt anytime I take time to do something for myself... due to the years of mrs.jingle (both passively and outright) getting upset when I'm not spending 'enough' time with her (or the jingle.kids when they were younger) - basically, anytime to myself is not time with her, and has often triggered her issues with abandonment.  It's part of the reason that I get up at 6am on weekends - it's the only time I feel guilt-free when doing something exclusively for myself.

There's a few other things tugging at my mental state as well, but nothing I care to discuss to the group at large at the moment. 

Anyway, I'm gonna get changed and head downstairs shortly... time to get back on the horse.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion