Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190449 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #735 on: January 08, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »
Do you have any cheats or refeeds mate?

I avoid them, to be honest. I tend to go the other way and go with intermittent fasting. Still, if an occasional peanut butter M&M (or two) happened to be within arms reach I enjoy it without worry. One the advantages I have over ya'll is a partner (Mrs. P) who enjoys recipe hunting and making keto goodies. Now she and I always share meal making (and clean up), but she makes treats during the day while I'm gone. The treats aren't generally my thing, but it is nice when an evening craving hits me to have a square of (I kid you not) keto toffee.

I don't have the energy issue because I'm not involved in the exercise phase of this thread...at least not in the way you folks talk about exercise.

Sounds like your making some good progress.

I am, I am. Kinda plateaued for a few weeks around the holidays, but I'm back to melting away. Hit a new milestone yesterday, so I'm excited to see it continue.

Good on you brother.  Sounds like your willpower is quite strong.  It's Thursday morning and while I'm buggered from my workouts, my stomach is starting to feel a bit more normal.  I think more water helps.  Come Saturday though, keeping the cravings in check is going to be near impossible.  Since I am heavy into the exercise, I think I'll at least try a refeed and see how it goes going into next week.  Might include a little potato and maybe some low calorie ice cream which still has some carbs.  I dunno, just playing around.

I'm not interested in keto unless science showed it made a significant dent in belly fat.

The science is clear, putting your body into a state of ketosis will burn any fat you have. It has to, for the energy, it doesn't have a choice.

I guess my fear in regards to training, whether any muscle burning comes in over fat.  I guess that's where making sure you're not undereating comes into play.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: January 08, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
I'm not interested in keto unless science showed it made a significant dent in belly fat.

The science is clear, putting your body into a state of ketosis will burn any fat you have. It has to, for the energy, it doesn't have a choice.

I understand, any low calorie diet will kill any body fat, I'm only talking specifcally belly fat though.  If there was a diet that did ONLY that, I may be interested.

It's impossible.  You will never find a study for that because it can't be done.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: January 08, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »
Reading all this, I feel like a fat slob.

One the advantages I have over ya'll is a partner (Mrs. P) who enjoys recipe hunting

Huge advantage.

haha, whenever I make it over there mate I'll come and take you through a workout.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #738 on: January 08, 2020, 03:33:50 PM »
No fucking chance! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: January 08, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: January 08, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »

I understand, any low calorie diet will kill any body fat, I'm only talking specifcally belly fat though.  If there was a diet that did ONLY that, I may be interested.

It's impossible.  You will never find a study for that because it can't be done.

Those infomercials say different!  I literally saw an ad for some stomach fat workout app yesterday  :lol fuck that.  Also, I'd rather eat well balanced than do keto, I think that's overall healthier and it's already proven to be effective.  Just need to keep getting better at it to dig into the belly fat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: January 08, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »

Those infomercials say different!  I literally saw an ad for some stomach fat workout app yesterday  :lol fuck that.  Also, I'd rather eat well balanced than do keto, I think that's overall healthier and it's already proven to be effective.  Just need to keep getting better at it to dig into the belly fat.

Just have to find what works for you and can be sustainable.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 09, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
Here you go Cram!

:rollin

So some of you may know, I went to a wedding in December for a family friend and Mike "the Situation" was there.  He's a reality TV star, but this guy is in amazing shape.  His wife, sister of the family friend being married, literally posted using a similar device to the above.  She's also in amazing shape.  Both of them are like "insta-famous" and do all sorts of shitty advertising for shit products on their instagram.  I'm pretty sure that product is one of them from hers.  :lol

But regardless, I did have a short conversation with Mike at the wedding, I asked him for advice on getting into the great shape that he is in.  He's sober and does more of "inspirational" type of things now that he is out of jail  :lol his advice to me was to always one up yourself.  Every week find something you are doing and do it a little more or better or harder.  And he also said always have one cheat day a week.  I asked him about calling it a reward day, he didn't like that for some reason :lol  I kind of wish I got to talk to him more, but he was fairly unapproachable.  Also, he looks like he is in too good of shape to be true, as in I question if he did/does steroids.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: January 09, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
Here you go Cram!

:rollin

So some of you may know, I went to a wedding in December for a family friend and Mike "the Situation" was there.  He's a reality TV star, but this guy is in amazing shape.  His wife, sister of the family friend being married, literally posted using a similar device to the above.  She's also in amazing shape.  Both of them are like "insta-famous" and do all sorts of shitty advertising for shit products on their instagram.  I'm pretty sure that product is one of them from hers.  :lol

But regardless, I did have a short conversation with Mike at the wedding, I asked him for advice on getting into the great shape that he is in.  He's sober and does more of "inspirational" type of things now that he is out of jail  :lol his advice to me was to always one up yourself.  Every week find something you are doing and do it a little more or better or harder.  And he also said always have one cheat day a week.  I asked him about calling it a reward day, he didn't like that for some reason :lol  I kind of wish I got to talk to him more, but he was fairly unapproachable.  Also, he looks like he is in too good of shape to be true, as in I question if he did/does steroids.

That guy from memory probably would have had a round of steroids, but maybe I'm just envious.  The bolded part is very good advice though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: January 09, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »
Yea, I think the advice was good but if he's doing steroids it kind of invalidates a lot of things about how I feel about him.  He is a bit unnaturally large IMO but maybe someone can tell me that it's natural, I want to believe it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 09, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
Yea, I think the advice was good but if he's doing steroids it kind of invalidates a lot of things about how I feel about him.  He is a bit unnaturally large IMO but maybe someone can tell me that it's natural, I want to believe it.

I still takes hard work to get in the shape people are in even with steroid use.  It isn't magic, it's just makes it so much easier.

I had a workmate that dealt in that sort of shit and offered me steroids plenty of times, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #747 on: January 09, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »
Yeah, when I'm going out for a run in the morning before work (this time of year the cold normally means I'm on the elliptical instead) I basically run a  big 2 mile rectangle and I start running at each corner of the rectangle and run until I can't anymore and then I walk to the next corner. I always try to make a mental note of where I quit running and the next time out make sure I go a little bit further.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »

I still takes hard work to get in the shape people are in even with steroid use.  It isn't magic, it's just makes it so much easier.

I had a workmate that dealt in that sort of shit and offered me steroids plenty of times, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

One of my friends who noticed my weight loss a few months ago mentioned I should take testosterone.  I assumed he meant some sort of steroid?  I don't know, but it's not for me.  For one, I feel like it's cheating.  Sure you still have to work at it, but it changes things.  I'd rather not risk my nuts and my attitude to get jacked.  I'd rather a more natural approach and a natural look. I know from high school someone who is really into the steroids and he looks absolutely ridiculous with how big he is, also has a crazy anger problem.  I'd imagine his testes are peanuts as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »

One of my friends who noticed my weight loss a few months ago mentioned I should take testosterone.  I assumed he meant some sort of steroid?  I don't know, but it's not for me.  For one, I feel like it's cheating.  Sure you still have to work at it, but it changes things.  I'd rather not risk my nuts and my attitude to get jacked.  I'd rather a more natural approach and a natural look. I know from high school someone who is really into the steroids and he looks absolutely ridiculous with how big he is, also has a crazy anger problem.  I'd imagine his testes are peanuts as well.

Yeah, basically testosterone but I think there's different types at different strengths.  The problems it can cause your sexual function and balls scares me off too.  Also I'm moody as fuck anyway so don't need any extra help with that lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
This thread is getting weird. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: January 09, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »

Let me guess, you don't understand right?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: January 10, 2020, 05:21:17 AM »

And now for something he completely won't understand...

I've begun three rounds of sun salutations, followed by warrior 1 and 2, followed by some very light weight lifting for shoulders, back, chest, arms, and core. I'm going to give it a few days at the minimum weight to determine how sore I'll be before adjusting the amount for each lift. This routine takes about 45 minutes. My goal is 5 days a week with two rest days that I'll shuffle in stretching.

It will be interesting to see how my energy for the ol' man workouts, well... work out while in ketosis.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline H2

« Reply #753 on: January 10, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
TFW you get into lifting and your T goes up and your receding hairline accelerates  :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: January 10, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »

And now for something he completely won't understand...

I've begun three rounds of sun salutations, followed by warrior 1 and 2, followed by some very light weight lifting for shoulders, back, chest, arms, and core. I'm going to give it a few days at the minimum weight to determine how sore I'll be before adjusting the amount for each lift. This routine takes about 45 minutes. My goal is 5 days a week with two rest days that I'll shuffle in stretching.

It will be interesting to see how my energy for the ol' man workouts, well... work out while in ketosis.

Don't feel bad here Tim, I had to google sun salutations and Warrior 1 and 2.

I have never ever given a thought to Yoga type stuff.  I heard it makes you sorer than what you think though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #755 on: January 10, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Just going to call him Yogaar for now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: January 10, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »
TFW you get into lifting and your T goes up and your receding hairline accelerates  :censored

I had to good TFW also.  :lol

Yeah now you say that, maybe I'm just paranoid as shit but I feel I've lost a lot of hair in the last 3 days being on a higher fat and lower carb. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: January 10, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »

That's a cool name.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: January 10, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: January 10, 2020, 04:39:43 PM »
I can't laugh today, guys, but I recognize that as being clever, Tim.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #760 on: January 11, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »
I thought I'd give you all an update.

I've begun jogging and have done it every day.  I'm starting out slow, just half a block, but I'm feeling pretty good and starting next week I will increase the distance to 3/4 of a block. 

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm a big guy.  My new years resolution is to work up to running a mile by the end of the year.  I will probably go past that but I wasn't sure how my body would handle it considering I've been away from exercising so long.

But hey, at least I'm starting :)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: January 11, 2020, 09:38:12 PM »
Dude, good stuff. Welcome to the club of one upping yourself  :yarr

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: January 12, 2020, 03:05:41 AM »

I've begun jogging and have done it every day.  I'm starting out slow, just half a block, but I'm feeling pretty good and starting next week I will increase the distance to 3/4 of a block. 

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm a big guy.  My new years resolution is to work up to running a mile by the end of the year.  I will probably go past that but I wasn't sure how my body would handle it considering I've been away from exercising so long.

Awesome mate.  Every day that you do just a little bit more than the day before, than that's a big win.  Small steps is what it takes.  Keep going.  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: January 12, 2020, 05:21:53 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #764 on: January 12, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »
Keep that shit up, Lion
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #765 on: January 12, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »

Great! I started running as exercise (then turned into an obsession) back in 2007. And I started the same way but I ran from street light to street light. I’d run to one then walk to the next.....run....then walk. I quickly ‘got into’ running and FF 13 years I’ve ran countless races and countless miles.

Stick with it man....you’re approach is great. Do what you can handle and increase as your body lets you know what you can do.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: January 12, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »
So, after a week of a low carb diet, I'm not sure if this is sustainable for me.  I don't know if I was in ketosis or anything, or even how long it takes, but Monday to Friday I ate no more than 40g of carbs a day, that I know.  Fat was quite high but protein was quite high.  I like the low carb through the week, and really like the higher fat, the food choices do seem to work for me.  But I'm training 7 days a week at the moment.  5 days weight training and usually swimming on Saturday and a 5-10km run on Sundays.  Sometimes after my weight sessions too there will be 10-15 minutes cardio.

My swim on Saturday was fucking awful, felt terrible.  Saturday night, I upped the carbs with some rice, potatoes and some lower calorie ice cream and a little bit of chocolate.  Under what I would normally eat.  My run yesterday was atrocious.  I had a few more carbs Sunday night.  I'm not sure if it's just the lack of calories considering what I would normally eat but training this intensively, I never felt so bad come the weekend.  Monday morning now and I'm going to try again this week and see how my week goes.  Not sure if it's in my head, lack of carbs, withdrawals from the amount of sugar I was consuming or I just hadn't replaced the number of calories well enough.  I'm not starting calorie counting again or anything, that took my focus off my training a little.  I want to stay quite intuitive.  Bottom line is, if my performance is decreasing, this is what I don't want.  I've been there in the past and believe experienced quite a bit of muscle loss.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: January 13, 2020, 06:33:35 AM »
Wolfking,

Yeah, I was kinda wondering how that was going to work out for you considering the amount of intense exercise you do. Sounds like it might not be the right fit.

As for me, so far so good. I'm feeling pretty knackered after my light morning workout, but I seem to bounce back pretty quickly. Within an hour I'm back to having energy but I suspect I'll need to eat more calories to have enough fuel to not feel that hour long crash. We'll see how this week goes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: January 13, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
Yesterday was a good day for me.  40 minute bike ride, my best dumbbell performance in terms of amount of reps, then had 15000 steps as I walked around NYC to go to the Epica concert where I moshed and got wild for the last 45 minutes of their set and drenched in sweat.  I can't recall ever feeling so physically good and strong, probably since I was a teen.  In fact a lot of the people I was moshing with and hanging with all thought I was in my early 20s.  However, my body is so damn sore today so I'm likely not doing much exercising tonight plus both my middle fingers got jammed so using dumbbells might be off limit for a few days.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »

That's a cool name.  :lol

Add Sothoth to Yogaar and you'll summon the Gate Keeper of the Old Ones.  Chant that out-loud Tim and see if you can bring on the end of all creation.  :lol

Yoga changed my flexibility for certain; I see it most in weekly basketball and my golf swing.  It's also quite relaxing after hard lifting... I assume due to static holds and deep breathing.  It also amps my concentration and I try to go through a flow before hiking or scrambling boulders (can't do much bouldering around me but there are a few spots).

Pavel's Kettle Bell stretches have helped me too... not to mention the swings and get-up.  I think the warm-ups and stretches are called the kettle bell pry (deep squat position with a kettle bell), head rotations (light kettle bell rotating around the head), and squeeze hip thrusts.  If you search one of those videos sites for "Pavel Simple and Sinister" you'll run across some of his stuff (Strong First is his company).  He's been a guest on JRE as well... he's the real deal I think.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar