Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 493287 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6930 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:35 AM »
I'm a Sony man through and through and love racing games, but will never own an Xbox, so Forza is out of the question for me.

I am honestly not that fond of the regular Forza titles, GT is where it is at for me for the sims (despite almost any post-ps2 GT having some major drawbacks).

Horizon is more of an arcade experience, but it uses the mainline Forza depth to it's advantage (physics, tuning). Horizon 3 and 4 are really good, kind of hope Sony will take a look and make it's own open world racer but I doubt it.

I am a Sony guy as well, got a One for cheap (actually cost me nothing due to a trade-in of my old ps4, I got gifted a pro). Since it has backwards compatibility for many games I wanted to play, it was worth it for me.

One thing I dislike is that Sony closed both the studios behind WRC/Motorstorm/Driveclub and Wipeout. Dammit, Driveclub had a false start but eventually became great and that Wipeout HD collection is amazing, also one of the best VR games out there. Now it is just the GT studio. Well at least they are making GT7. But unless Sony invests in another racing studio, or expands on Polyphony, I doubt we will get more Sony racers than that.

When I saw GT1 on PS1, that was it.  I was hooked on PlayStation.  However, I did miss a couple of GT releases because I passed on the PS3.  Knowing that the PS3 was basically a stepping stone, I decided to wait for the PS4.  GTS was a pretty good release and did have an arcade section in it, but like you said it was mostly about the sims.  Which BTW, I never really had the patience to master when it came to setting up a particular car perfectly for a certain track.  Looking forward to GT7.  Hopefully they make that one a little more well rounded.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6931 on: August 18, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
GT1 and GT2 I was very impressed with when they came out, but I was too young to appreciate them. GT3 I had hours of fun with, but kinda lost interest in them going forward.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6932 on: August 18, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
Yeah, I think the novelty wore off when GT4 was released on PS2.  Since then, I don't think it's changed much accept for the improved graphics.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6933 on: August 18, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
The games feel smaller now. Gran Turismo was great because it had hundreds of cars to choose from. That last GT had a few dozen, and they were mostly super cars and race cars.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6934 on: August 18, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »
Alright Chino I think I might have found it, let me know if I'm way off, taking off from the nearest airport N14

On approach

The next two pictures I believe that's the house in the lower right hand corner, I had to use flight sims drone camera to nail it as close as possible:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6935 on: August 18, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
That's so wild! Circled in red is the house I grew up in.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6936 on: August 18, 2020, 02:23:47 PM »
That is cool!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6937 on: August 18, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »
If you notice top left that is the FPS I'm getting at ultra, my PC can be used as a space heater in my office running this game :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6938 on: August 18, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
I bet. Holy shit.  :lol :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6939 on: August 18, 2020, 02:57:14 PM »
I will say this, even at it's lowest FPS it's really smooth. You never really notice it because everything is moving so slowly due to the nature of the game.

They also fixed my biggest complaints of the game in the final release including controls which was my biggest issue .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6940 on: August 18, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
The games feel smaller now. Gran Turismo was great because it had hundreds of cars to choose from. That last GT had a few dozen, and they were mostly super cars and race cars.

Not sure I agree with that if we are talking mainline titles. But then again, the PS4 does not have a mainline, ao perhaps you just refer to sports.

GT6 had over a thousand cars, with a good portion of them fully realised (some were souped up ps2 models). And I feel like 5 and 6 were very content rich. Karting and rally as well.
Especially GT5 was very uneven (literally car models from the ps2 games with worse textures), but the game was huge and kept being updated for many years.

Sports was aimed at competitive players, it kind of makes sense they went fully on high tier sports cars tbh, hence the name "sports".  But 7 will be the first real mainline title in many years and I assume it will have a significant single player portion.

I am actually not that much of a sim racer guy, and most definitely play with assists, but I always enjoyed GT since the 4th (I was a bit too young and impatient for 3, but did play that one).

My favourite motorsports racer is probably Motorstorm Apocalypse/Pacific Rim (very arcade) and otherwise it is SSX3 (also very arcade). Which is why I am dissapointed Sony booted their (excellent) arcade racer studios, though I suppose the market isn't large enough.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6941 on: August 18, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
I will say this, even at it's lowest FPS it's really smooth. You never really notice it because everything is moving so slowly due to the nature of the game.

They also fixed my biggest complaints of the game in the final release including controls which was my biggest issue .
I was part of the Alpha as well, and the final release performs much better. Although taking off from JFK Airport and flying over New York City will put any PC to shame on ultra settings.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6942 on: August 18, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for ps4 on sale for 5 bucks. Pretty cool game so far. Tons of ways to play each mission

That was a good game. The only thing I didn't like about this one (and the one before it) was how they artificially limited ammo. It's bullshit when enemies only have 2 or 3 bullets on them after you kill them. Great, I could've waited for them to fire a few more shots and then they would've been out of ammo  :biggrin:

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6943 on: August 19, 2020, 06:04:21 AM »
So my Playstation account was hacked and my PS4 has been deactivated. Because of Covid, they have no over-the-phone customer support, and the online support system it tells you to use is an automated cluster fuck with no solutions for my problem.

I'm livid right now.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6944 on: August 19, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »
holy fuck that sounds terrible. Do PS accounts have 2-factor authentication?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6945 on: August 19, 2020, 06:35:19 AM »
holy fuck that sounds terrible. Do PS accounts have 2-factor authentication?

Yeah. I don't know how they got around it. I didn't get a text last night that someone was looking to sign into my account.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6946 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
Is your PS4 unusable now?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6947 on: August 19, 2020, 07:04:43 AM »
Is your PS4 unusable now?

There are certain features that are no longer usable because it's no longer considered the primary PS4 on the account. Some fucktard in India now has access to all my entertainment. I might be able to get on the phone with someone at Sony at 11, but I'm swamped at work today. We'll see how it plays out

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6948 on: August 19, 2020, 08:32:54 AM »
Keep us posted, that is really shitty. After my Ubisoft account was almost stolen I set up 2FA on everything, my blizzard account gets constantly hammered by people trying to log in.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6949 on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
I had my rockstar account hacked and when I finally recovered it, I had lost all my money and vehicles in GTA5 online.  That's about the extent of hackers I've experienced, but having the whole PS4 unit essentially unusable is pretty fucked.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6950 on: August 19, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »

Not sure I agree with that if we are talking mainline titles. But then again, the PS4 does not have a mainline, ao perhaps you just refer to sports.

GT6 had over a thousand cars, with a good portion of them fully realised (some were souped up ps2 models). And I feel like 5 and 6 were very content rich. Karting and rally as well.
Especially GT5 was very uneven (literally car models from the ps2 games with worse textures), but the game was huge and kept being updated for many years.

Sports was aimed at competitive players, it kind of makes sense they went fully on high tier sports cars tbh, hence the name "sports".  But 7 will be the first real mainline title in many years and I assume it will have a significant single player portion.

I am actually not that much of a sim racer guy, and most definitely play with assists, but I always enjoyed GT since the 4th (I was a bit too young and impatient for 3, but did play that one).

GT Sport currently has 334 cars of which quite a few were added with periodic updates over the last 3 years.  My major issue with GTS is the gift cars rewarded after the daily workout is complete (so many miles driven in a day).  Some of the gift cars are rare and can't be purchased at Brand Central, but the problem is duplicates.  Sometimes I got up to 3 of the same car in my garage and it won't let me sell gift cars.  I should be able to clear out my unwanted cars for cash towards certain cars I haven't purchased yet.  Probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a GT game.  So, it basically comes down to participating in an insane amount of races to earn enough cash to buy cars.  I don't have the time for that.  I really hope that problem goes away in GT7.

Edit:  Just read an article on Tom's Guide about the series director eluding to the fact that GT7 will represent a return to form.  "The new game looks to meld GT Sport’s comprehensive suite of multiplayer and esports features with the deep and rewarding gameplay loop of earlier titles, which longtime fans have come to expect."  Great news!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:25:21 PM by Dublagent66 »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6951 on: August 20, 2020, 06:06:38 AM »
I really hope that's the case. Right now GT7 is the only reason I'll get the ps5.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6952 on: August 20, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
Thought about posting this in funny stuff thread but figured it'd fit better here:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6953 on: August 20, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
 :lol classic toxic COD

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6954 on: August 20, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
My favorite toxic community is Dota 2. It's almost comical how quickly dota players will go into full rage

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6955 on: August 20, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
This latest COD game has one of the best features of any game to kind of get great entertainment from the toxicity which is the hot mic after death.  For a second, you can hear the person you just killed on a hot mic (if they have a mic enabled) and it's sooooo good hearing people complain and freak out.  All the kids wining, or the people who know they'll be heard saying something demeaning towards you  :lol  I always wonder if someone got a good laugh out of my reactions of rage.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6956 on: August 20, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »
Sometimes I'm glad that I stay at a low enough rank in Overwatch that I don't really encounter too much toxicity :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6957 on: August 20, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »
I really hope that's the case. Right now GT7 is the only reason I'll get the ps5.

The article also talks about how previous releases of the GT series have a tendency to miss the launch dates of PS next gen consoles.  In other words, the probability of GT7 being released with the PS5 as a launch bundle isn't very good and it would come as no surprise.  I'm actually ok with that because there will be so many other reasons to get a PS5.  That console is gonna be a monster! :xbones

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6958 on: August 20, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »
This latest COD game has one of the best features of any game to kind of get great entertainment from the toxicity which is the hot mic after death.  For a second, you can hear the person you just killed on a hot mic (if they have a mic enabled) and it's sooooo good hearing people complain and freak out.  All the kids wining, or the people who know they'll be heard saying something demeaning towards you  :lol  I always wonder if someone got a good laugh out of my reactions of rage.

That is one of my favorite things about CoD. Sea of Thieves has a proximity feature as well which made boarding and sinking other peoples ships hilarious

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6959 on: August 20, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »

That is one of my favorite things about CoD. Sea of Thieves has a proximity feature as well which made boarding and sinking other peoples ships hilarious

Oh I know all about Sea of Thieves proximity chat  :lol COD would be so bad if they had that.  PUBG used to but it was so toxic that they kind of needed to remove it, but I loved it so much because you'd have such funny random encounters (not toxic or trolling, just fun).  I used to love approaching a house knowing someone was inside and use the proximity chat and say "Pizza delivery" and then barge in guns blazing

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6960 on: August 20, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
My favorite toxic community is Dota 2. It's almost comical how quickly dota players will go into full rage

I have a story from original DotA with the WC3 engine, from roughly 12-13 years ago I think. This will probably be interesting only to people who also played it, here goes.

I was around 15 and I was playing Ragnarok Online (MMORPG) and our guild was in position where we had to ally with another guild to actually succeed in the War of Emperium (a full-on server war between guilds for ownership of castles/keeps), and by succeed I mean really matter in it because otherwise we were fairly insignificant, and looking back on it, pretty much every other guilds were full of douchebags. :lol But I guess it wasn't obvious to me back then, and so we allied with one of the coalitions and we got on alright, I think I might've been leading our guild back then or at least was important enough as only one capable scholar/professor (a class in that MMO), so after one of the events the douchebag guild members asked me to play DotA with them, they apparently needed one person to make it a full 5v5. I agreed. I never played DotA before.

Most of the players were actually fairly nice, especially the ones who asked me to play, but there was also one guy who apparently played really well but also was raging at every single thing. I obviously fed my lane hard and after like the third or fourth death I ended up back on respawn with enough money to finally buy something. Except I didn't know what to buy for that guy (I think I played Tidehunter). So naturally, I ask in Teamspeak (or whatever was around back then, I don't even remember) what to buy for this character, and the raging guy flippantly tells me with barely concealed anger "just fucking buy five bracers and you'll be fine". :lol

It's been about 13 years and I still remember this shit. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6961 on: August 20, 2020, 02:01:42 PM »
 :lol

I may have planted similar memories in children and not realized it....

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6962 on: August 21, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »
Flight simulation has been a great screen saver during work. I'll set a flight plan and let it auto run while I'm working and enjoy the scenery and taking control when I have time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6963 on: August 21, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
I didn't even realize flight simulator was on xbox game pass, and I also totally forgot I bought that almost a month ago for the $1 promotion and it expires soon.  I should jump in on this while I have the chance before I cancel the subscription. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls