Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485174 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #7035 on: September 03, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
So... that Mario 3d collection is only for sale for a couple of months? That includes the digital version. March 2021 is the deadline. Why?

My guess is inventory. There's a newer, more powerful switch coming out next year, and Nintendo probably had to order an unexpected run of the current units to meet the demand during covid. They're trying to blow out all the old stock (I know they're still hard to find right now) before dumping the newest model. I was going to get a switch, but I'm waiting for the newer one. They could also be trying to drive sales before the next gen Xbox and PS5 become readily available.

I am talking about the digital version of 3D All Stars collection, which is basically three roms of games older than 15 years.

Right. And by limiting the window to just a few short months, they're hoping it convinces current non-switch owners to buy a console while the deal is still available, before the new Switch comes out and Nintendo gets stuck with inventory.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7036 on: September 03, 2020, 11:53:45 AM »
I think Chino is on to something there. Nintendo gonna Nintendo, too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7037 on: September 03, 2020, 12:06:56 PM »
So... that Mario 3d collection is only for sale for a couple of months? That includes the digital version. March 2021 is the deadline. Why?

My guess is inventory. There's a newer, more powerful switch coming out next year, and Nintendo probably had to order an unexpected run of the current units to meet the demand during covid. They're trying to blow out all the old stock (I know they're still hard to find right now) before dumping the newest model. I was going to get a switch, but I'm waiting for the newer one. They could also be trying to drive sales before the next gen Xbox and PS5 become readily available.

I am talking about the digital version of 3D All Stars collection, which is basically three roms of games older than 15 years.

Right. And by limiting the window to just a few short months, they're hoping it convinces current non-switch owners to buy a console while the deal is still available, before the new Switch comes out and Nintendo gets stuck with inventory.

I don't know man, it sounds odd to me.

Unlike the 3DS, Switch games are actually tied to an account rather than the device. You can make a Nintendo account, buy the games (on anything with a browser) and play them on any Switch or future Switch you want. And to be honest, I really think those who care that much about these classics to the point they will buy a 300+ dollar device (the light isn't going anywhere I feel), are likely to already own one. More than 55 million Switches have been sold.

Still, you are right that apparently a new model is on it's way around that time, but I doubt three old straight ports will move more hardware myself. It will, however, move people to buy the collection before it is gone. Nintendo has a thing for limiting stuff.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7038 on: September 03, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
https://supermario3dallstars.nintendo.com/

SCREAMING

EDIT: 3D World in February?!

I'm pretty excited about this but I'm also disappointed at Mario 64. It seems like they did very little in terms of improving the visuals. Hell even the ROM version of the game supports widescreen formats which this port doesn't seem to do.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7039 on: September 03, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
I agree. Although, my disappointment is canceled out by the fact that it's portable and playable within a couple seconds of playing Super Mario World or Sunshine or Odyssey.  :heart Still gonna be playing that HD PC modded version though. Can't get me enough SM64.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7040 on: September 03, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »
Ben, that's amazing  :lol :lol

Phoenix, have you never played Sunshine before? It's such a great game. I have no idea if they've made blue coins easier to track/locate in this version (I really hope they did) but regardless, it's a really fun game and some of the criticisms may or may not hold water (pun intended) all these years later.

I stole it from our local Used Game store Gamers Anonymous. It was too good, not to. I messaged it to my Brother and a friend that doesn't have Facebook. They both reacted with, "No way"  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7041 on: September 03, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »
Oh well, who am I kidding, I will probably buy that 3d collection anyways, but only if physical is not too limited.

And that Avengers game looks so... average? Inbetween Marvel vs Capcom infinite, Ultimate Alliance 3 and now this, the Marvel team up titles seem off.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7042 on: September 03, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
There's a newer, more powerful switch coming out next year
Yeah but what is the source for that? This rumour has popped up three times now since the Switch launched and nothing ever comes of it.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7043 on: September 03, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »
I heard the rumor too on a recent bombcast episode, it was from apparently a reputable source. We'll see, the rumor was that it was going to be out sometime in 2021.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7044 on: September 03, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »
The only rumor I care about is getting the Metroid Prime trilogy released.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7045 on: September 04, 2020, 05:23:12 AM »

I heard the rumor too on a recent bombcast episode, it was from apparently a reputable source. We'll see, the rumor was that it was going to be out sometime in 2021.

I am honestly expecting it to be the equivalent of the PS4pro/Xbox One X, meaning that it is capable of higher resolutions, catering to people with large 4k tv's (and also have a screen with better quality and a higher resolution). Having a 4k tv is kind of the standard where I live, has been for several years, would make sense for me to have a model in your line that aligns with that.

I kind of don't expect them to ditch the current Switch though, as they just did a minor revision a year ago and the thing is selling like hot cakes at full price.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7046 on: September 04, 2020, 05:41:22 AM »
There's a newer, more powerful switch coming out next year
Yeah but what is the source for that? This rumour has popped up three times now since the Switch launched and nothing ever comes of it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021?sref=HrWXCALa

It's all rumor until Nintendo makes an official statement.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7047 on: September 04, 2020, 05:42:27 AM »

I am honestly expecting it to be the equivalent of the PS4pro/Xbox One X, meaning that it is capable of higher resolutions, catering to people with large 4k tv's (and also have a screen with better quality and a higher resolution). Having a 4k tv is kind of the standard where I live, has been for several years, would make sense for me to have a model in your line that aligns with that.

I kind of don't expect them to ditch the current Switch though, as they just did a minor revision a year ago and the thing is selling like hot cakes at full price.

You're gonna be disappointed then. The new Switch will most certainly NOT support 4k and probably still will not match the PS4 pro or XOX. Nintendo doesn't care about 4k right now, nor should they tbh. Even most PC gamers can't run proper 4k.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7048 on: September 04, 2020, 06:10:19 AM »
So what Switch accessories should I be ordering right off the bat?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7049 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
It comes with a joy-con grip but maybe you'd want a portable charging stand for it. I would get a pro controller too. Super comfy, 40 hour battery life, it's perfect. A carrying case is a must if you're taking it anywhere out of the house.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7050 on: September 04, 2020, 07:02:11 AM »

You're gonna be disappointed then. The new Switch will most certainly NOT support 4k and probably still will not match the PS4 pro or XOX. Nintendo doesn't care about 4k right now, nor should they tbh. Even most PC gamers can't run proper 4k.

Oh, I did not mean true 4k for the newer model, just a higher resolution that with modern upscale techniques that will look a bit better at a 4k screen. Modern upscaling techniques, especially those by Nvidia, are extremely powerful tools. In fact, the modern Nvidia cards can run games at 1080p and make them look as good as 4k (DLSS 2.0). The current Nvidia shield series also uses ai driven upscaling and the Switch has the same architecture. I don't expect bleeding edge tech in the Switch, but even tech like checkerboarding (PS4pro, usually not actual 4k either) is 4 years old at this point.

And perhaps 1080p portable. With more efficient chips and a better screen that should not impair battery life too much.

I personally don't care that much for higher resolutions beyond 1080p though, since I don't have a large screen. So no dissapointment for me regardless. I am also fine with 720p in handheld. But I am not sure what else to expect from a newer, more powerful model. What would be the point of a new 3DS-esque upgrade?

So what Switch accessories should I be ordering right off the bat?

If you play on tv a lot get a controller. Either the pro or a 8bitdo sn30 pro+.

A glass screen protector might be a good idea because the Switch has a plastic front, not glass like phones/tablets (meaning it is very prone to scratching).

And a microusb card if you plan on buying many digital games.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7051 on: September 04, 2020, 07:07:43 AM »
Is Tropico 6 worth $25?

I loved the 5th one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7052 on: September 04, 2020, 07:10:10 AM »
Ah, I gotcha, ErHaO. Hell, about all I'm expecting is maybe a slightly bigger screen and 1080p. But hell, some games wouldn't even run at 900p in handheld, so I'd be shocked if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would run at 1080p even on the new Switch, honestly.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7053 on: September 04, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
Is Tropico 6 worth $25?

I loved the 5th one.
Tropico 6 was a return to form to me. I liked it a lot better than 5. It was more like Tropico 4, which was my favorite in the series.

If you have Xbox games pass, it's available on there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7054 on: September 04, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Well, i am happy to say that Tony Hawk 1+2 is a very well done remake of the originals. They pretty much nailed it.

My only sadness is that its not really holding my attention as much as when i was 13, lol. Part of that may be since i played the ever loving crap out of the originals. There’s kind of a been there done that feel going on.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7055 on: September 04, 2020, 01:52:26 PM »
Is the Spidey outfit back?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7056 on: September 04, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
Just finished The Talos Principle with my daughter. Fun game, she really dug it. We don't seem to have a ton of in common these days, so a game like this that we can play together is a real treat. In a world of limited academic learning, I am pleased she is engaged in activities that require problem solving.

I just started playing The Return of the Obra Dinn by myself and she popped by to check it out. She didn't care for the visuals or the gameplay but was really intrigued by the concept.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7057 on: September 04, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
Talos is excellent, I still haven't finished the DLC tho.

Obra Dinn is so interesting but kind of tough for me, I should go back and tackle it again from the beginning.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7058 on: September 04, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
Just finished The Talos Principle with my daughter. Fun game, she really dug it. We don't seem to have a ton of in common these days, so a game like this that we can play together is a real treat. In a world of limited academic learning, I am pleased she is engaged in activities that require problem solving.

I just started playing The Return of the Obra Dinn by myself and she popped by to check it out. She didn't care for the visuals or the gameplay but was really intrigued by the concept.
I'm not sure how old your daughter is or if it would be the type of game you would play, but Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a fantastic co-op RPG (well it can be played solo too) that has a ton of ways to solve different puzzles or problems throughout the game and it's a really fun time playing with other people. This is all assuming your daughter isn't too young for that type of game. There are some mature themes throughout.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7059 on: September 04, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
She is 9. Upon a little research, I think that game is going to be beyond her capabilities. In fact it will likely be beyond my capabilities.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7060 on: September 05, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
I picked up Control on PC and played for a little bit. The game is really enjoyable so far, I love the atmosphere the game puts off. Its also the first game I've gotten to mess around with DLSS. Its magic, without DLSS with RTX on max i was getting 30ish fps at 1080p. With it on im at 90. There is no difference I can see when playing, im sure I can spot some stuff if I took some screenshots.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7061 on: September 05, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »
I picked up Control on PC and played for a little bit. The game is really enjoyable so far, I love the atmosphere the game puts off. Its also the first game I've gotten to mess around with DLSS. Its magic, without DLSS with RTX on max i was getting 30ish fps at 1080p. With it on im at 90. There is no difference I can see when playing, im sure I can spot some stuff if I took some screenshots.

It is a ridiculous game changer, I sincerely hope the coming consoles have a similar solution, but I doubt it (amd). Though hopefully Sony has made progress on their solution.

You can basically double resolution or more at little cost. The real mindblower is that it can actually outperform native in terms of image quality.

Which is why the nvidia based newer Switch model running at high resolutions seems possible to me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7062 on: September 08, 2020, 08:24:45 AM »
Dude. DUDE!!

https://youtu.be/ifm8tpcO4vw

New Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors game coming out in November. I bought that game on all 3 systems it was released for, and bought every bit of DLC. Put hundreds of hours into the Switch version and I'm still not done with everything, and I've been dreaming of a sequel for years. BOTW is my favorite game of all time, in my favorite series, and the sequel to HW is based on BOTW. I think I just peed a little.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7063 on: September 08, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Dude. DUDE!!

New Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors game coming out in November. I bought that game on all 3 systems it was released for, and bought every bit of DLC. Put hundreds of hours into the Switch version and I'm still not done with everything, and I've been dreaming of a sequel for years. BOTW is my favorite game of all time, in my favorite series, and the sequel to HW is based on BOTW. I think I just peed a little.

You mean we get to experience the deaths of all 4 Guardian Heroes.  :sadpanda:  :omg:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7064 on: September 08, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »
Dude. DUDE!!

You mean we get to experience the deaths of all 4 Guardian Heroes.  :sadpanda:  :omg:

I'm so hyped  :corn

There are like 30 characters in the other games. I'm curious who else you'll play as. Maybe 2-3 original characters like Lana/Cia/Volga in the other games. But then there's just Link, Zelda, the 4 Champions.... maybe King Rhoam, maybe Master Kohga... Ganondorf? Will they bring back older Zelda characters in BOTW's art style? That would be amazing.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7065 on: September 08, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »
Dude. DUDE!!

I'm so hyped  :corn

There are like 30 characters in the other games. I'm curious who else you'll play as. Maybe 2-3 original characters like Lana/Cia/Volga in the other games. But then there's just Link, Zelda, the 4 Champions.... maybe King Rhoam, maybe Master Kohga... Ganondorf? Will they bring back older Zelda characters in BOTW's art style? That would be amazing.

I'm thinking, maybe the Kings as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7066 on: September 09, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
Interesting, I used to play a lot of Warrior games with a classmate in high school/early college, but lost interest (often kind of the same game with a different ip). But instead of solely focusing on being a (good) fanservice package, this one is a legit prequel. It has been a while since I played one of these, definitely interested.

Also, Xbox series X is 500 dollars and series S 300. I think that S model looks quite nice and the idea of a cheap 1080p machine is good. But, eh, it will take years for them to catch up to Sony/Nintendo in terms of exclusive games. They bought a bunch of studios, but some of those have just released/are releasing multiplatform games first, meaning we probably won't see their exclusive output for years to come. Also, coming from the One S and One X, series S and series X are WiiU-tier naming. And their year towards next gen has been a complete dud, consolewise. Will be interesting to see how it sells, the xbox brand is kind of dead in Europe as it stand now, I feel.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7067 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:38 AM »
I think that MS is pushing more towards the gamepass which is a fantastic service. As a PC gamer I have no reason to really get an xbox as first party exclusives on Xbox will also be on the PC.

$500 is a good price for a pretty powerful machine IMO. I wonder what Sony is going to respond with.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7069 on: September 09, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »
I think that MS is pushing more towards the gamepass which is a fantastic service. As a PC gamer I have no reason to really get an xbox as first party exclusives on Xbox will also be on the PC.

$500 is a good price for a pretty powerful machine IMO. I wonder what Sony is going to respond with.

Yea, I think you can also pay for the new xbox with gamepass in a monthly plan for like 25/35 (depending on model) for 24 months.  Being that it includes gamepass you kind of don't need to spend anymore money which is actually a really good deal if you wanted to get one.

I actually think I'm going to try an pick up a 3080 graphics card.  I got my retention bonus last week so I might splurge if I can actually get one for MSRP.