Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484914 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6965 on: August 25, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »
Finally finished  The Last of Us II. Jesus multiple sledgehammer's to the chest tapdancing christ.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6966 on: August 25, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
Finally finished  The Last of Us II. Jesus multiple sledgehammer's to the chest tapdancing christ.

I am finishing up Red Dead Redemption 2's story mode as I type this and I am feeling exactly the same way. JFC.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6967 on: August 26, 2020, 05:43:08 AM »

I am finishing up Red Dead Redemption 2's story mode as I type this and I am feeling exactly the same way. JFC.

Which ending did you get? There are three.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6968 on: August 26, 2020, 06:22:12 AM »

Yes, it is a very intense game. Personally very glad they took this direction, gaming as a medium really benefits this type of plot in my opinion.

Actual ending(s) or chapter 6?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6969 on: August 26, 2020, 07:30:36 AM »
I did not know there were multiple endings until I looked up some YouTuber reactions to the ending... only to see someone getting the 'good' ending which REALLY surprised me. I got the 'bad' ending (my morale bar was basically at the very far left and had been that way for all of chapter 6, especially because I played like a ruthless outlaw and ended with a $555 bounty in New Hanover, lol). I was shocked. I stood up from my couch shouting at the TV when 'it' happened. I am full of sadness/anger/shock at all of it. Chapter 6 was just sledgehammer after sledgehammer. I'm in the epilogue now. Still wrestling with the emotions from all of chapter 6. God damn what an amazing game. I want to do it all over again - and be better.

SPOILERS... but not about the main character, it's about a horse: I did the sidequests with the veteran, Hamish Sinclair. We went hunting a few times and Arthur and him seemed to get along well. After Guarma, I lost my horse, and somehow ended up with another that I wasn't too fond of. Well, when Hamish and I went hunting, he got thrown by a huge boar and died. So, for the last 10 hours of the game, I had his horse, Buell, who was fast and beautiful and just a great horse. And then he died, and Arthur had a moment with him, and I thought that added SO much to the main story even though it was just a little cinematic moment. It worked out beautifully.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:36:28 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6970 on: August 26, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »
I had to watch some streamers just recently while at work.  At 130PM Call of Duty had a one hour in game event that lead to the reveal of the next COD game, Black Ops Cold War.  It was essentially a mini game in the Warzone map which was really cool to see how they implemented it.  You had to do a few challenges and then once someone did it, a timer went off and you had to run to the stadium as planes started shooting everything and once you got there it played the trailer.  Really awesome and creative way to get people excited about the next game.  My theory is a nuke is going to go off soon on the map and that is the end of the current Warzone as it transitions to a new map for the new game.  They've had little hints slowly building up in the game over the last few seasons.  I absolutely love how they somehow made a story into a battle royale game. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6971 on: August 26, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »
I'll be honest. I had the most fun in Red Dead Redemption 2 when I wasn't playing the missions. The missions for me are by far the weakest part of the game for me as they take very little advantage of the systems and open world that R* crafted. I also feel the storytelling was more naturalistic outside the missions.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6972 on: August 26, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »
Any of you guys check out that new Netflix mini series called "High Score"? It's all about the history of video games. I've watched the first 3 episodes. It's pretty good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6973 on: August 26, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
Any of you guys check out that new Netflix mini series called "High Score"? It's all about the history of video games. I've watched the first 3 episodes. It's pretty good.

Someone at work was saying this was good, I'll have to check it out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6974 on: August 26, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »
I'll be honest. I had the most fun in Red Dead Redemption 2 when I wasn't playing the missions. The missions for me are by far the weakest part of the game for me as they take very little advantage of the systems and open world that R* crafted. I also feel the storytelling was more naturalistic outside the missions.

I agree that I think they could've taken more advantage of the systems. For example, I would have LOVED a side mission involving, like, chasing a herd of buffalo. The closest I came to that was seeing a herd of buffalo running alongside the train I was robbing - which admittedly was still very cool. By the end of the game I realized there was a whole bunch of just shooting recklessly at everyone in sight, but I still had an absolute blast with it. My one gripe is that I would fail missions repeatedly because I got obsessed with looting bodies. I would've liked more freedom to do what I wanted to do in the wake of a mission or a particular objective but I also think it makes sense to have that urgency to keep the player moving, it wouldn't be realistic to loot 30 bodies and not have the law show up within a few minutes. But yeah, a little more variety would've been wonderful. But I still loved playing the missions especially with all the dialogue and banter between characters.

I'd check out that documentary but when I hear 'history of video games' I predict a lot of broad strokes about the industry that have been repeatedly covered in many other video game documentaries. I would like more granular documentaries, like, a documentary on the 7th generation of consoles, or a documentary on the evolution of open world gaming, or a documentary on specific companies' evolution and contribution to the industry, or a documentary just on the SNES, etc... I might check it out if I get bored though

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6975 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:44 PM »
Has anyone here played Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout? I've been having a ton of fun with that game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6976 on: August 26, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
Has anyone here played Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout? I've been having a ton of fun with that game.

Yea, it's fun but I haven't even touched it after putting maybe 4 hours into it due to getting bored.  Timthetatman made bank with this game though, streaming only fall guys until he won which took a full week but even ESPN was following his failures.  I personally am not a fan of that streamer, but I'll give him credit for creating a huge spectacle around his poor gaming  :lol now if only I could do the same with my poor gaming

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6977 on: August 26, 2020, 03:04:18 PM »

Yea, it's fun but I haven't even touched it after putting maybe 4 hours into it due to getting bored.  Timthetatman made bank with this game though, streaming only fall guys until he won which took a full week but even ESPN was following his failures.  I personally am not a fan of that streamer, but I'll give him credit for creating a huge spectacle around his poor gaming  :lol now if only I could do the same with my poor gaming

Yeah, I've heard some people say they get bored after a few hours. But I've probably logged more hours than I think I have and I'm still enjoying every minute of it!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6978 on: August 26, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »

I noticed it yesterday and was planning to start watching it tonight.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6979 on: August 26, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
Cool!  I'll definitely have to check that out.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6980 on: August 26, 2020, 03:58:33 PM »

I agree that I think they could've taken more advantage of the systems. For example, I would have LOVED a side mission involving, like, chasing a herd of buffalo. The closest I came to that was seeing a herd of buffalo running alongside the train I was robbing - which admittedly was still very cool. By the end of the game I realized there was a whole bunch of just shooting recklessly at everyone in sight, but I still had an absolute blast with it. My one gripe is that I would fail missions repeatedly because I got obsessed with looting bodies. I would've liked more freedom to do what I wanted to do in the wake of a mission or a particular objective but I also think it makes sense to have that urgency to keep the player moving, it wouldn't be realistic to loot 30 bodies and not have the law show up within a few minutes. But yeah, a little more variety would've been wonderful. But I still loved playing the missions especially with all the dialogue and banter between characters.

Did you already play through the Epilogue in RDR2 as well?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6981 on: August 26, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »

Yeah, I've heard some people say they get bored after a few hours. But I've probably logged more hours than I think I have and I'm still enjoying every minute of it!

I find myself quitting after just a few games every time I try to play.

1) I get disconnected a lot (only happens with this game)
2) I feel like the jump button is way too unresponsive and I hate it.
3) When you lose, you have to exit out of the current contest, go back to the main menu, and then wait to find another one. There should just be an option to hop into another one as soon as you lose. I feel like I'm sitting around more than I'm actually playing.
4) I hate the team-based maps. I can't stand qualifying in the first and/or second level, only to be kicked out after the next one because my team couldn't grab enough tails.

It's a sweet concept of a game, but I think it needs a lot of work TBH. I think it's going to be one of those games that gets massive really quick and then just dies in a few weeks. Kind of like Pokemon Go.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6982 on: August 26, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
Ready to register for the chance to pre-order a PS5 without even knowing how much it's gonna cost you? Here's your chance.

Stale rumors on parts cost are around $450, but some are speculating the PS5 might exceed $500, which I doubt, unless Sony wants to place the disk PS5 at a premium to the digital edition (where they get a larger cut)

From the FAQ:

Who will be selected to receive an invitation?
Our selection is based on previous interests and PlayStation activities.

When will I know if I’ve been selected or not?
If you are selected, we will contact you via email before pre-orders start. If you do not receive an email, you were not selected.

If I receive an invitation, am I guaranteed to be able to pre-order a PS5 console?
No. Each invitation is open for a limited time and quantities are limited per PSN ID per transaction:
1 PS5 Console or 1 PS5 Digital Edition
2 DualSense wireless controllers
2 DualSense charging stations
2 Pulse 3D wireless headsets
2 Media remotes
2 HD Cameras
PS5 console pre-order reservations will be first come first serve.

In order to pre-order, do I have to pre-order everything?
No. As long as your product selection falls within unit limits, you may pre-order as many or as few products as you’d like.

How long will I have to make a PS5 console pre-order reservation?
If selected, the expiration date and time will be included in your selection notification email and while supplies last.

Can I reserve more than one PS5 console pre-order?
Due to limited quantities and high demand, we will be limiting PS5 console pre-order reservations to 1 per PSN ID.

Will other PS5 products be available for pre-order?
Yes. Although these will be open to the general public for pre-order, only PS5 console reservations will be limited to those invited to pre-order.

What if I receive a “Sold Out” message?
All available PS5 consoles have been reserved.

I currently reside outside the US. If invited, can I still make a PS5 console pre-order reservation?
If you receive an invite and units are still available, as long as you ship to a US based address, your pre-order reservation will be allowed.
Any orders that contain a non-US based address will be cancelled.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6983 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »
This price stand off is really something else.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6984 on: August 26, 2020, 08:30:33 PM »
There's no way I would pre-order without knowing the price and in all honestly there's nothing in the launch game lineup that is knocking my socks off to the point where I can't wait a few months  :P

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6985 on: August 26, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
Fortunately, this is just typing in your PSN ID and hoping to get an email at some point, so it can't hurt to hold your spot in line (I don't think they'll open up pre-orders without unveiling the price).

I'm looking forward to Spider-Man Morales, Ratchet & Clank, and GT7, which if not available on launch day, at least the launch window, and unless the price is severely off-putting, I don't see there being many consoles sitting on the shelves this holiday, especially considering Sony increased production from 5m to 10m for the 1st Qtr based on increased demand due to Covid-19.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6986 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:09 PM »

Did you already play through the Epilogue in RDR2 as well?

No, I just got to the point where I can roam freely, so I'm finally checking out Blackwater for the first time. Kind of feels like New Game+ haha.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6987 on: August 27, 2020, 05:00:32 AM »
Not going to preorder the ps5, will probably buy it somewhere in 2021 though.

I am curious how the dual sense triggers will feel. Apparently they can offer actual force feedback on top of just rumble. I really enjoy the Xbox One trigger rumble (in games like Halo and Forza), and this seems to be a step further.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6988 on: August 27, 2020, 06:10:50 AM »
Not going to preorder the ps5, will probably buy it somewhere in 2021 though.

I am curious how the dual sense triggers will feel. Apparently they can offer actual force feedback on top of just rumble. I really enjoy the Xbox One trigger rumble (in games like Halo and Forza), and this seems to be a step further.

I was reading about those the other day. They're going to be awesome for racing games. You'll actually be able to feel your brakes fading and stuff. Another example that was being talked about a lot was with shooters. If your gun jams in game, the controller will physically prevent you from being able to pull the trigger. It'll lock up half-pull just like a real gun. I hope developers find legit uses for it though and don't turn it into an annoying novelty just for the sake of it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:46:47 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6989 on: August 27, 2020, 07:42:18 AM »

I find myself quitting after just a few games every time I try to play.

1) I get disconnected a lot (only happens with this game)
2) I feel like the jump button is way too unresponsive and I hate it.
3) When you lose, you have to exit out of the current contest, go back to the main menu, and then wait to find another one. There should just be an option to hop into another one as soon as you lose. I feel like I'm sitting around more than I'm actually playing.
4) I hate the team-based maps. I can't stand qualifying in the first and/or second level, only to be kicked out after the next one because my team couldn't grab enough tails.

It's a sweet concept of a game, but I think it needs a lot of work TBH. I think it's going to be one of those games that gets massive really quick and then just dies in a few weeks. Kind of like Pokemon Go.

#3 is spot on.  It's a fun game and all, but for $20 I spend more time waiting and more time playing the same first couple mini games than anything else so it makes me feel like I took 20 bucks and threw it in the toilet.  THere is some real potential here though.  Fix the connection issues, add a play again button when you are eliminated, and add a significant amount of new mini games and this has the potential to be so much more fun.  The game is highly successful already though.  https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/fall-guys-breaks-playstation-plus-record-sells-7million-copies-on-steam-2738762

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6990 on: August 27, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
I've got 4 Fall Guys wins so far.

2x Hexagone
1x Royal Fumble
1x Fall Mountain

I came in second on Jump Showdown, but thus far that is the elusive win I'm still looking for.

What I found unusual is that two of those four wins, I booted up the game with friends, went in, and won on the very first attempt.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6991 on: August 27, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Well, damn. Our local Family Video (midwest movie/game rental chain) is finally closing up shop after 20-something years. I remember being a little kid when it first came into town. Really barebones, no food to buy etc. - fast forward today and it's loaded with posters, ice cream machines, candy... but the game room is skimpier than it was back in '97 when I first walked into it. Rentals are done, and they're only selling inventory. Guess I'll stop in and see what they have although I've basically moved entirely to digital gaming... really sad to see. Can't remember the last time I rented a movie or a physical game but it's just one more nail in the coffin for physical media

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6992 on: August 27, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »
I didn't know stores like that still existed

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6993 on: August 27, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
I didn't know stores like that still existed

Sure do. FV is a pretty successful chain out here in the midwest, they have stores everywhere, 'cause the parent company also owns gyms, pizza restaurants, and even owns a realty company, so they've been able to stay afloat, but it's still sad to see it go.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6994 on: August 27, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
That's a shame. When the local Blockbuster near me when out of business, I begged the manager to let me have the giant Jodie Foster/Contact prop that they had above the science fiction section. She said no. I offered Blockbuster $50 for it, and she still said no. I then offered Blockbuster $50 and her $50, and I was asked to leave. Five days later when it finally went under, I saw it all smashed up and outside with the rest of the trash. I was really bummed. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6995 on: August 27, 2020, 11:24:16 AM »
That manager was being dickish by choice. She could have easily let you have it if she really wanted to.

And jodie foster deserves better

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6996 on: August 29, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »
After 10 years, I finally finished Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I bought it for the PS3 back in the day, never finished it, then bought it on Steam years ago.

Pretty decent game. I don't know how well it sold or how the reviews were. I wouldn't mind a sequel or something.

Now I am trying to decide what to play next but I don't feel like playing anything in my game library. I'll most likely attempt to finish Sniper Elite 4.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6997 on: August 30, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
I found a UFO in RDR2 last night!!

There's this cabin up at Hani's Bethel, by a small pond. It looks like there was a cult that used it based on the corpses inside the cabin in the beds and at the main desk. I've come across it numerous times throughout the game, always wondering what was up. I found a note the time before this, with some cryptic writings about being 'taken away'. Whatever, I thought. Well last night I was on the run from 4 bounty hunters and sought refuge there. Just before they showed up, a crazy green light shot into the cabin when I entered it, and I thought, oh shit, what now? After a moment I looked up... AND THERE'S THE UFO!! I stepped outside and it was pretty big, making some ominous whirring noises, then it shot off vertically into the cosmos.

That was one of the coolest experiences I've had in the game; apparently the UFO spawns under very specific conditions and I just happened to find it while on the lam. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE! :2metal:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6998 on: August 30, 2020, 09:17:43 AM »
That's cool. I've been to that cabin a few times but I never found the note. Curses!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6999 on: August 30, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
I didn't find the note till a couple visits after I first found the cabin! I also beat the epilogue today. That house building montage was excellent.

I think I will play a whole new game, stopping in chapter 4. On PC. :) :)