Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485167 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #7105 on: September 17, 2020, 05:28:11 AM »
Wait, what, Horizon 2, Spidey, and Sackboy are also PS4 releases. Guess it makes sense as there are 100+ million PS4 owners and two of these titles are super expensive to make.

Also, apparently the PS5 will play almost any PS4 game (as a PS4pro equivalent), which would make a PS5 a complete no-brainer given my collection (that includes a ton of PSplus games I have yet to try).

PS5 with ultra HD disc player is 629.99$ for my Canadian Dollar
spending ass, ouch... I’m gonna get it aren’t I?

Here the disc model is 500 euro, which google tells me is 780 Canadian Dollar. Our prices already include taxes though, perhaps that is the difference?

The real kicker here is that here major AAA games seem to be 75 euro, though I imagine this will eventually settle at a lower pricepoint (major PS4 titles used to be 70 euros here, now 60). Here I was complaining about Switch tax, but holy hell  :lol  :-\ Thankfully digital sales and good subscription services are becoming more of a norm, so in the end the console won't make me broke.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7106 on: September 17, 2020, 06:03:18 AM »
I'm really leaning toward the digital only model. The disc drives on both my PS3 (launch model) and my PS4 (launch model) gave me issues. I can't eject a disc on my PS4 using the button on the machine itself. I have to go through some menus on the home screen and force a disc eject that way. Also, I think I only bought four, maybe 5 physical copies of games on the PS4. I would have liked to see a bigger HD in the digital-only PS5 though. I'm talking like 5+TB. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:14:26 AM by Chino »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7107 on: September 17, 2020, 06:07:42 AM »
The only PS4 titles that I have on disc that I want to have access to with the PS5 is HZD and Spiderman. I don't know if there is a way to convert them from disc to digital. If there is, I'd probably get a digital only.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7108 on: September 17, 2020, 06:08:04 AM »
All the way back to PS2, my consoles have always been my movie player.

I still have a ton of Blu rays and Dvds from the pre-digital era so I probably will go with the disc drive version for at least one more console generation, even though I have gone fully digital for Games and music at this point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7109 on: September 17, 2020, 06:23:02 AM »
The only physical copy I have is The Last of Us and that's just because it came with my console.

I'm not gonna lie. I had a dream about the Hogwarts game last night. I want that game so much  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #7110 on: September 17, 2020, 06:45:49 AM »

Here the disc model is 500 euro, which google tells me is 780 Canadian Dollar. Our prices already include taxes though, perhaps that is the difference?

Sounds about right, we never include taxes in retail prices here, it's a pain but we're all kind of used to it.  In actuality with federal and provincial sales taxes the price will be more like 725$ CAD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7111 on: September 17, 2020, 06:54:26 AM »
I'm really leaning toward the digital only model. The disc drives on both my PS3 (launch model) and my PS4 (launch model) gave me issues. I can't eject a disc on my PS4 using the button on the machine itself. I have to go through some menus on the home screen and force a disc eject that way. Also, I think I only bought four, maybe 5 physical copies of games on the PS4. I would have liked to see a bigger HD in the digital-only PS5 though. I'm talking like 5+TB.

The problem is that the SSD is too expensive right now, the PS5 actually has HD tech that even high end PC consumers can't yet buy. And apparently some/many games will require that speed because the engine is built around it. See Ratchet and clank with the constant instant loading of entire worlds. The PS5 will accept external drives, but I doubt it will accept the usual (cheap) hard drive for PS5 games.

Still, with SSD as the new standard, there is a potential for games to become smaller. One the reasons some games are huge is because of bundled duplicate data so that the load times are quicker. But this depends on the developers.

Sounds about right, we never include taxes in retail prices here, it's a pain but we're all kind of used to it.  In actuality with federal and provincial sales taxes the price will be more like 725$ CAD

Makes sense, otherwise I would really feel ripped off as an EU consumer, haha. Though consoles and especially PC's tend to be more expensive here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7112 on: September 17, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
ErHaO, are you saying we might need to buy a new type of SSD specifically for PS5 storage due to the nature of its hardware, or will the same old external drives work fine? I expect storage and download sizes to be one of this next generation's biggest issues, at least for a couple years, so I'm going to get a nice big drive for it, but what you wrote has me curious.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7113 on: September 17, 2020, 07:18:20 AM »
ErHaO, are you saying we might need to buy a new type of SSD specifically for PS5 storage due to the nature of its hardware, or will the same old external drives work fine? I expect storage and download sizes to be one of this next generation's biggest issues, at least for a couple years, so I'm going to get a nice big drive for it, but what you wrote has me curious.

I am expecting there to be a minimal speed, given the nature of modern gaming, SSD is the new standard. Maybe for PS4 games it will allow old drives.

But this all is my hunch based on specs and how they say their new games/engines work (even the third party Unreal Engine demo from a while back heavily used the SSD, at least that is how they market the PS5).

It is why I will opt physical. If the disc drive is quick enough, it will be less of a limiting factor than downloading through my network.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7114 on: September 17, 2020, 07:22:26 AM »

I am expecting there to be a minimal speed, given the nature of modern gaming, SSD is the new standard. Maybe for PS4 games it will allow old drives.

But this all is my hunch based on specs and how they say their new games/engines work (even the third party Unreal Engine demo from a while back heavily used the SSD, at least that is how they market the PS5).

It is why I will opt physical. If the disc drive is quick enough, it will be less of a limiting factor than downloading through my network.

Oh okay, I meant like a new type of SSD that's super new specifically designed for the PS5 or something like that. I should be good in that case.

I really want the physical edition because of the way the industry is going and my paranoia about them removing games forever (see what happened with PT), but at the same time the digital is $100 cheaper and it's symmetrical which irrationally plays a big role in my choice  :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #7115 on: September 17, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
I just got a 4k OLED tv so I do want to get something that plays 4k blu-rays.  I pre ordered PS5 disc version on Amazon.ca last night, though I fully expect they will never have enough units to fulfill every order by november 12 so who knows when I will get it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7116 on: September 17, 2020, 07:38:51 AM »
I just got a 4k OLED tv so I do want to get something that plays 4k blu-rays.  I pre ordered PS5 disc version on Amazon.ca last night, though I fully expect they will never have enough units to fulfill every order by november 12 so who knows when I will get it.

This is kind of the only thing holding me back on next gen tbh. I actually don't even play anything on console anymore, so I'm not sure why I'm even considering it, but I don't think I'd want next gen if I don't have a TV that can really let it shine. The TV I have in my living room is great, but it's aging. It's a 55" 3D TV and I really like having it for the two times a year I watch a 3D movie on it (4/12 is Titanic and 11/30 is Avatar). I'm redoing the finished portion of my basement and re-purposing it as a dedicated hobby/project room. I want to put a big TV down there, so I've been toying with the idea of moving my current living room setup down there and replacing that with a 65"ish 4K. Not sure what I want to do yet. The dollar signs are adding up fast  :lol :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7117 on: September 17, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »
I got an invite for PS5 pre-orders starting this Friday at 10:00am.  Debating on whether to login and place my reservation or just wait a few months for a kickass bundle to come out.  :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7118 on: September 17, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
I got an invite for PS5 pre-orders starting this Friday at 10:00am.  Debating on whether to login and place my reservation or just wait a few months for a kickass bundle to come out.  :-\

How'd you get notified?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7119 on: September 17, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
$399 is about what I would want to pay, so maybe I will go with the digital. Probably gonna wait a few months.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7120 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »

This is kind of the only thing holding me back on next gen tbh. I actually don't even play anything on console anymore, so I'm not sure why I'm even considering it, but I don't think I'd want next gen if I don't have a TV that can really let it shine. The TV I have in my living room is great, but it's aging. It's a 55" 3D TV and I really like having it for the two times a year I watch a 3D movie on it (4/12 is Titanic and 11/30 is Avatar). I'm redoing the finished portion of my basement and re-purposing it as a dedicated hobby/project room. I want to put a big TV down there, so I've been toying with the idea of moving my current living room setup down there and replacing that with a 65"ish 4K. Not sure what I want to do yet. The dollar signs are adding up fast  :lol :lol

I'm 99.9% sure you know this already, but keep your options open, and keep your eyes peeled.   Deals come by at a moments notice, and especially if you watch the big box retailers (including Costco and BJs).  You have to be careful, because sometimes there are special "versions" of the TVs sent to particular retailers, but those differences are usually (not always, but usually) features not performance specs.  Two HMDI jacks instead of four, kind of thing. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7121 on: September 17, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »

How'd you get notified?

Email.  I have a PSN ID.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7122 on: September 17, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »

How'd you get notified?

Damn. I actually have two PS+ subscriptions for years and didn't get an email for either.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7123 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »

How'd you get notified?

Damn. I actually have two PS+ subscriptions for years and didn't get an email for either.

There was an initial email that required registration for notification.  Maybe you missed that one?  ???

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7124 on: September 18, 2020, 07:16:22 AM »
Last night my brother and I got a group of 8 or so people to play Among Us and it was some of the most fun I've had gaming in a while. Tons of laughs and a lot of fun. For those that haven't tried it you can pick it up on Android and iOS for free or $5 on steam. The servers are also prone to getting slammed so switching to Asia servers can help.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7125 on: September 18, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
I'm seriously considering holding off on the PS5 pre-order.  There are some storage issues I'm concerned about.  The internal SSD is only 825GB and it is exclusively set up to run at 5.5GHZ/s.  Even though additional SSD cards can be installed (expensive) there are no current external SSD's on the market that will run PS5 games at that rate.  So, what it comes down to is, you can store PS5 games on external SSD's or even HDD's but they need to be moved to the internal SSD in order to run properly.  Sony opted to not increase the system SSD to 1TB (which isn't that much more anyway) because it would've driven up the price of the console, since SSD drives are much more efficient and expensive than HDD's.  I guess I'm spoiled with storage space.  My PS4 is 1TB and I have a 4TB external HDD.  I might be more inclined to wait for faster external SSD's as they become cheaper over time.  :dunno:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7126 on: September 18, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
When COD is 200+ GB, yeah even 1TB systems arent going to be able to store many games these days. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7127 on: September 18, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
I'm seriously considering holding off on the PS5 pre-order.  There are some storage issues I'm concerned about.  The internal SSD is only 825GB and it is exclusively set up to run at 5.5GHZ/s.  Even though additional SSD cards can be installed (expensive) there are no current external SSD's on the market that will run PS5 games at that rate.  So, what it comes down to is, you can store PS5 games on external SSD's or even HDD's but they need to be moved to the internal SSD in order to run properly.  Sony opted to not increase the system SSD to 1TB (which isn't that much more anyway) because it would've driven up the price of the console, since SSD drives are much more efficient and expensive than HDD's.  I guess I'm spoiled with storage space.  My PS4 is 1TB and I have a 4TB external HDD.  I might be more inclined to wait for faster external SSD's as they become cheaper over time.  :dunno:

That does kind of suck. Although, the only games I have played so far on my PS4 with absurd loading times are Assassin's Creed Odyssey - seriously, the load times are unacceptable - and Red Dead Redemption 2, but that's only when loading a saved game. Ghost of Tsushima's loading times are ridiculously fast even on a regular PS4 - so I'm curious how much faster PS5 titles could possibly run even on an external?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7128 on: September 18, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
I am not too worried. It is inconvenient for sure, but I usually have only a couple of main AAA games on my platform and a bunch of indies/older titles. Both my Xbox and PS4 aren't full and house around 20-30 titles. It is a reason I opt physical for AAA though, downloading 50-100 gb is a hassle. 

With SSD as a standard, storage/loading/compression tech is bound to become better. And then there are the huge jumps in a.i. models (do we need 4k textures if a game can upscale them accurately real time?). There is a reason both console manufacturers chose for high end SSD's at a high cost relative to the entire unit. And both console manufacturers work with developers to design their consoles to make a balanced product.

The reason the hard drive is so quick is not just non-existent load times though. The Unreal Engine 5 is already focused at using those speeds to increase fidelity.

And in terms of value, both consoles are great at their price, looking at specs. Compared to, say, the PS4, the PS5 is not as weak/old at the time of release.

I could be wrong and the next Naughty Dog/Rockstar game will be 300 gb, but I doubt it honestly. But I can see the transistion period being rough.

An example: https://wccftech.com/an-xbox-game-studio-is-experimenting-with-shipping-low-res-textures-to-be-ai-upscaled-in-real-time/

I think it is all very exciting because just like the insanity that is DLSS, we are at the cusp of a lot of cool new tech being implemented.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7129 on: September 19, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
This weekend is an alpha release of new fame Scavangers which is kind of a mix of survival and battle royale made from people who made Halo. Its got some halo asthmatics but actually feels a bit like Apex Legends meets the more seriousness of PUBG with some survival aspects added in. Its kind of fun. Not allowed to share any gameplay footage though.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7130 on: September 19, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
I've been on 256 GB on my PC for about a decade now. Extra space is nice but hardly a requirement since I have reasonable download speeds and are happy to rotate your installed games. Its not like I have time to be playing more than 1 or 2 games simultaneously nowadays anyway.

In any case, I'll be holding off an any next gen console until there are at least 3 exclusives I want to play. Otherwise I will stick with my Switch and PC.

On an unrelated note, I picked up the Switch version of DQXI and its rather wonderful.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7131 on: September 21, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »
Just want to say thank god for video games. Had to get some work done to the car today and my Switch made the 2 hours just fly by.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7132 on: September 21, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
Not sure if I am glad Bethesda is now part of Xbox. Games will still be on pc and all and I am not against buying an Xbox, but I remain skeptical as to how they are planning to recoup 7.5 billion dollars, that is almost as much as Disney paid for both the entirety or Marvel and Star Wars together, as a frame of reference (which includes licences for everything, also games). That and their investments into gamepass have been so high, that I am very skeptical as to how it will look in a couple of years. 

As an example, I have already experienced it several times that it is significantly cheaper (like 20 euros) to buy a game of the year edition on the PS4 than to buy the DLC I want to play seperately of a game that is on gamepass. Somewhere they will want to see money for games thay cost more than 100 million to make and that historically sell a couple of million of copies at full price. I feel that if gamepass is going to a point where new AAA releases are on it day one frequently,  either the market has to be massive or they will resort to other business tactics.

Anyways, Microsoft is going all in for sure.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7133 on: September 21, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
Not sure if I am glad Bethesda is now part of Xbox. Games will still be on pc and all and I am not against buying an Xbox, but I remain skeptical as to how they are planning to recoup 7.5 billion dollars, that is almost as much as Disney paid for both the entirety or Marvel and Star Wars together, as a frame of reference (which includes licences for everything, also games). That and their investments into gamepass have been so high, that I am very skeptical as to how it will look in a couple of years. 

As an example, I have already experienced it several times that it is significantly cheaper (like 20 euros) to buy a game of the year edition on the PS4 than to buy the DLC I want to play seperately of a game that is on gamepass. Somewhere they will want to see money for games thay cost more than 100 million to make and that historically sell a couple of million of copies at full price. I feel that if gamepass is going to a point where new AAA releases are on it day one frequently,  either the market has to be massive or they will resort to other business tactics.

Interesting. I heard PS5 games are going to skyrocket in Europe, though - something like 90 euros for a game, is that true? If so it would seem like GamePass is the far more budget friendly option and a boon for Microsoft at least in that region, but who knows.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7134 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »

It's funny, who got 2 consoles fighting to be the very best. While the PC, is just sitting there  :corn while he gets his usual check-up. And Nintendo is happily, like a little school kid, skipping by, waving, and moving on.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7135 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »

Interesting. I heard PS5 games are going to skyrocket in Europe, though - something like 90 euros for a game, is that true? If so it would seem like GamePass is the far more budget friendly option and a boon for Microsoft at least in that region, but who knows.

All games are 80 euros MRSP, expensive as hell. But keep in mind PS4 games were 70 initially and went to 60. And it depends on the games. And I don't think third parties will differ in price between MS and Sony.

Switch games are 60 euros, about 70 dollars, for reference. Which is also an increase compared to previous Nintendo platforms here (and a very steep one if you look at games that were formerly 3DS-tier material, such as Link's Awakening)

But that is the point, games are expensive as hell to make and have to sell millions to recoup. And such releases are there multiple times just about every month on average.  As a consumer gamepass is very attractive for sure, I have a subscription lasting well into 2022. But given the track records of gaming, as well as microsoft, I am skeptical as to how the businessmodels will change when the investment period is over and people are tied into an ecosystem.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7136 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »

That does kind of suck. Although, the only games I have played so far on my PS4 with absurd loading times are Assassin's Creed Odyssey - seriously, the load times are unacceptable - and Red Dead Redemption 2, but that's only when loading a saved game. Ghost of Tsushima's loading times are ridiculously fast even on a regular PS4 - so I'm curious how much faster PS5 titles could possibly run even on an external?

I went ahead and made the leap anyway.  After thinking about it some more, any storage issues will most likely be short lived.  Once the PS5 game catalog starts growing, the need for more memory will increase along with higher performing external SSD's.  At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7137 on: September 21, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »

It's funny, who got 2 consoles fighting to be the very best. While the PC, is just sitting there  :corn while he gets his usual check-up. And Nintendo is happily, like a little school kid, skipping by, waving, and moving on.

New models such as gamepass will affect the entire market though. If gamepass becomes a/the consumer standard, then how games on it are monitized will be how they are designed. AAA games in particular, offcourse, because that in the end is where the big investments are at. And offcourse gamepass is very much a PC platform as well. Seeing how much e-meltdowns there were due to the Epic games store selling exclusive games (which was strange to me, to be fair, you can launch it on the same device), I'd say PC gamers care what happens to Steam and how games on PC are monitized on the long run.

Music, film, tv, news, book industries etc. all have gone through extensive changes with the launches of similar platforms, with both positive and negative aspects. That is why I use the words skeptical and "not sure" instead of thinking it will definitely be a bad thing, because I don't know how the market will change. But at this rate I do expect  that the market will go through major changes. And whatever service/brand comes out on top will define/decide a lot of things. At least that is what usually happens in these shifts. 

In the end I will buy whatever has my favourite games, but I wonder how well subscription models align with 100+ million dollar 20-30 hour AAA games focused on singleplayer on the long term (the gaming equivalent of major film blockbusters, their businessmodels are very front loaded). As those are the games I enjoy the most.

For the time being I hope Microsoft will tell Bethesda studios to fix their shitty tech.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7138 on: September 21, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
Gamepass is also doubling in price next month.  I'm going to cancel.  I'm not a fan of subscription services but signed up so I could play a game with some friends one night and that was a better investment than buying the game outright that I knew I wouldn't play much. 

Also, PC games have some very nice sales.  I can't imagine paying $70 for a game.  I hardly ever buy full priced $60 games as of now.

Also, free to play with in game buying of cosmetics seems to be a very likely way of going forward with many games.  COD for example makes millions A DAY just from in game purchases which to me is insane, but people buy this stuff up it seems.

I think I've spent under $100 on video games this year.  That's the first time in a LONG time thanks to free COD Warzone, xbox game pass, and just in general, cheap games on PC (like Fall Guys at $20). 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7139 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »
Mordhau received a pretty good update today (#19) and the game is 50% on Steam. The 3v3 ranked mode looks pretty sweet as well, as does the new battle arenas they've built for them.