Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485080 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #7070 on: September 09, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
While I'm not at all interested in the consoles themselves I think they did a pretty good job. $500 is exactly what I expected for the X, although I don't see many games taking full advantage of the hardware, and I see just as few people readily equipped to use it to its full potential. Seems like all my friends who are set on Xbox are going with the S, which also looks like a wonderful system, plenty powerful and sleek and at a very good price.

I'm slowly getting interested in GamePass. Microsoft's approach to Xbox as a gaming environment rather than merely a successive line of products, combined with GamePass and their acquisition of tons of smaller studios with promising titles, has me very curious about this next gen.

But 25/35 a month for a subscription service is batshit insane to me.

@cram, I want a report on the 3080 if you get it!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7071 on: September 09, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »

The service alone is 5 a month. That price includes the cost of the console, no down payment no interest. 25/35 a month for two years for the console and two years of gamepass.  Very attractive option if you don't have 300/500 to spend.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7072 on: September 09, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »

The service alone is 5 a month. That price includes the cost of the console, no down payment no interest. 25/35 a month for two years for the console and two years of gamepass.  Very attractive option if you don't have 300/500 to spend.

I suppose it just depends on how many games you're gonna play or how often you'll use it, 'cause 35 a month for 2 years is a whopping $840 overall. Seems smarter in the long run to just save up for the X or S and then get the sub, even with tax on the console it would be much cheaper. Unless there's something about this all access thing I'm missing...

I can't say I've ever heard of a sub service for the console itself though which is actually kind of cool even if you do spend a lot more in the long run for it, so good on Microsoft for presenting options.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:52:58 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7073 on: September 09, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »

I suppose it just depends on how many games you're gonna play or how often you'll use it, 'cause 35 a month for 2 years is a whopping $840 overall. Seems smarter in the long run to just save up for the X or S and then get the sub, even with tax on the console it would be much cheaper. Unless there's something about this all access thing I'm missing...

I can't say I've ever heard of a sub service for the console itself though which is actually kind of cool even if you do spend a lot more in the long run for it, so good on Microsoft for presenting options.

It's like buying a phone these days.  You can just outright buy one OR you can bundle it with your service into monthly payments so you don't need to dish out the full price at once.  It's attractive for people who want the new system but don't have the money.  TBH, for me, that means don't buy it, but we know how people like to spend money they don't have so, I actually think it's a solid business idea.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7074 on: September 09, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »

It's like buying a phone these days.  You can just outright buy one OR you can bundle it with your service into monthly payments so you don't need to dish out the full price at once.  It's attractive for people who want the new system but don't have the money.  TBH, for me, that means don't buy it, but we know how people like to spend money they don't have so, I actually think it's a solid business idea.

Oh it's absolutely a solid business idea. They've offered multiple options and entry points and they'll make bank off the AA sub, it's exactly what I would expect Microsoft to do. I just think a lot of people aren't going to think about the long-term cost compared to just saving for a few months, but then again a lot of people also won't care as long as they get the box.

Also I find it insane that the X is still cheaper than a good number of PHONES.  :lol Either M$ is taking a big loss somewhere on the X, (not unexpected, historically) or the phone companies are gougers. Or, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle :) :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7075 on: September 09, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
What's crazy is the $300 dollar price point was the same for systems back when we were kids.  The fact they are releasing a new one back at this price is kind of amazing.  I think it might sell really well if they can get some more exclusive games to compete with PS.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7076 on: September 09, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
So.... what's the analysis on the PSx versus the xBox?   I had thought about going with a PS4, but with new consoles coming out there's always that question.  I've still got PS3 games to play, so I suppose I could get a used PS4 and catch up that way for a while...

What do you all think?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7077 on: September 09, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
I don't follow the console wars closely, but the PS5 can play PS4 games but not anything from older gen.  If that makes a difference to you.  However, if you still hvae PS3 games to play and actually want to play those, I don't see a reason to upgrade any time soon (and not to a PS4 when you are ready).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7078 on: September 09, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »
Yeah, if you've still got PS3 games to play, I'd probably just enjoy those, but you could grab a PS5 down the road and also play a bunch of PS4 games, like Red Dead 2 (Stadler, I'm telling you, the story, you would probably fall in love with it :) ).

XBox has never had strong exclusives imo (unless you really love Halo and Gears of War, for example) but they seem to be trying very hard to change that with the Series X and all the indie studios they've bought up. At the same time I'm not sure they're the kind of games Stadler would like, based on some of the posts I've read over the years.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7079 on: September 09, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
Are the controllers from the PS4/5 any better?  I LOVE the xBox controllers, and I go through PS3 controllers like I go through underwear.   But game-wise, I'm a PS dude for sure. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7080 on: September 09, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Are the controllers from the PS4/5 any better?  I LOVE the xBox controllers, and I go through PS3 controllers like I go through underwear.   But game-wise, I'm a PS dude for sure.

Take my opinion with a shaker of salt because I'm way in the minority on this apparently but I cannot stand any PlayStation controller... except the 4. That is a super comfy controller. Although honestly... the Xbox's controller is pretty much perfect. The staggered analog sticks are key for me, but for the first time, I can use a PS controller without my hands cramping up. Also the touchpad is super cool, if underutilized. Battery life is kind of atrocious imo though... feels like I have to constantly plug it in.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7081 on: September 09, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
do it!!!!!
I think that MS is pushing more towards the gamepass which is a fantastic service. As a PC gamer I have no reason to really get an xbox as first party exclusives on Xbox will also be on the PC.

$500 is a good price for a pretty powerful machine IMO. I wonder what Sony is going to respond with.

Yea, I think you can also pay for the new xbox with gamepass in a monthly plan for like 25/35 (depending on model) for 24 months.  Being that it includes gamepass you kind of don't need to spend anymore money which is actually a really good deal if you wanted to get one.

I actually think I'm going to try an pick up a 3080 graphics card.  I got my retention bonus last week so I might splurge if I can actually get one for MSRP.

do itt!!!! Are you going to get a reference card or wait for the third party manufactures?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7082 on: September 09, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
do it!!!!!
I think that MS is pushing more towards the gamepass which is a fantastic service. As a PC gamer I have no reason to really get an xbox as first party exclusives on Xbox will also be on the PC.

$500 is a good price for a pretty powerful machine IMO. I wonder what Sony is going to respond with.

Yea, I think you can also pay for the new xbox with gamepass in a monthly plan for like 25/35 (depending on model) for 24 months.  Being that it includes gamepass you kind of don't need to spend anymore money which is actually a really good deal if you wanted to get one.

I actually think I'm going to try an pick up a 3080 graphics card.  I got my retention bonus last week so I might splurge if I can actually get one for MSRP.

do itt!!!! Are you going to get a reference card or wait for the third party manufactures?

I'd stick with EVGA if I do it, I've only ever used them and never have issues so I'll keep my loyalty.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7083 on: September 09, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »

The DS4 imo is the best and most comfortable controller in the history of gaming.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7084 on: September 09, 2020, 03:43:15 PM »
They had the COD Blackops Cold War multiplayer reveal today.... very meh.  I mean, it looks EXACTLY like every other COD game.  They did show one new game mode that looked interesting but I don't think I'm spending $60 for some slightly different MP modes... meanwhile Warzone will move over to the new game.  They didn't say how (or at least I didn't catch it) but to me, what they change with Warzone is what will make this game interesting to me.  Also Warzone is free so if they don't make significant changes to Warzone, not only will I probably get tired of it, I will see absolutely no need to buy the new game.  If they do make significant changes that makes me want to play the game more, then I'd consider buying it.  Being that I didn't buy MW, I was actually considering buying CW, but the reveal was just not very interesting.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7085 on: September 09, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »

I am most likely getting a 3080. I'm going to wait until to announcements for the new AMD cards in October before making a final decision though. Early rumors are promising. Plus they will be announcing Zen3 at the same time, which will also be releasing this year. AMD is basically adding insult to injury regarding Intel with this.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7086 on: September 09, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »

I am most likely getting a 3080. I'm going to wait until to announcements for the new AMD cards in October before making a final decision though. Early rumors are promising. Plus they will be announcing Zen3 at the same time, which will also be releasing this year. AMD is basically adding insult to injury regarding Intel with this.

I'm just not sure if I'll even be able to get one.  No presales and I think people are going to eat them up.  Which might make me be forced to wait and see.  But I'm OK with that.  I definitely don't need a new graphics card, so if I have to wait, so be it.  However, as I said before, I kind of want to keep my loyalty to EVGA Nvidia cards so I'm not personally looking to shift to AMD for graphics but if I'm forced to wait and their new product wows me, so be it. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7087 on: September 13, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »
Just finished Return of the Obra Dinn. What a marvelous game! A tremendously unique achievement. I wish I could have forget the last 5 days and play through this game again for the first time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7088 on: September 14, 2020, 03:04:13 AM »
So I modded my PS classic (the mini console). Turned from a nice little thing on the shelf I got for cheap (55 euros, it did not sell well) to an amazing device that houses my entire PS1 collection. All that was needed was an old usb stick and the process was easy. I also set up my gb/gba/snes collection, works like a charm. What is kind of funny is that the modded version emulates PS1 games better than the factory set device did.

The Switch SNES controller was back in stock so ordered that. Would be cool if it worked with the PS classic for classic Nintendo emulation. The Switch pro does work, so I have hope.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7089 on: September 14, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
Just finished Return of the Obra Dinn. What a marvelous game! A tremendously unique achievement. I wish I could have forget the last 5 days and play through this game again for the first time.
Damn I really need to go back and play it from scratch as I forgot everything about it :lol

I've also been playing some short indie games, like Florence and Firewatch. Former had a very original presentation but pretty generic plot. The other was very cool, great plot and wonderful graphics and music. Dunno why everybody complains about the ending, it was fine. Wished it had a bit more variety gameplay-wise, but for a walking sim it's very well made.

I think I'll begin with The Wolf Among Us or Hylics soon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:07:40 AM by Sacul »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7090 on: September 14, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
Damn I really need to go back and play it from scratch as I forgot everything about it :lol

I've also been playing some short indie games, like Florence and Firewatch. Former had a very original presentation but pretty generic plot. The other was very cool, great plot and wonderful graphics and music. Dunno why everybody complains about the ending, it was fine. Wished it had a bit more variety gameplay-wise, but for a walking sim it's very well made.

I love Firewatch, fantastic atmosphere and I liked the plot. I get why people don't like the ending, as some probably had different expectations because the game throws a bunch of red herrings with wild implications at you. But I like they kept it grounded. I enjoyed the gameplay, it is a near-pure walking simulator but it feels good to control and perform actions. Probably my favourite walking sim behind What Remains of Edith Finch.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7091 on: September 14, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »

My only major complaint about the game is that its the kind of game that only really works once. Damn brilliant piece of art.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7092 on: September 16, 2020, 05:45:51 AM »
I was browsing Steam last night and saw that they had a South Park Combo deal with The Stick of Truth and The Fractured But Whole for 78% off. I think it was like $19 after tax. I played about 90 minutes of TSOT and I am LOVING it. There are so many awesome callbacks if you're a longtime fan. So munch season 2-10 stuff sprinkled throughout the world. I really like the battle system. Butters and I took down the Mongolian horde last night.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7093 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:55 AM »
I was browsing Steam last night and saw that they had a South Park Combo deal with The Stick of Truth and The Fractured But Whole for 78% off. I think it was like $19 after tax. I played about 90 minutes of TSOT and I am LOVING it. There are so many awesome callbacks if you're a longtime fan. So munch season 2-10 stuff sprinkled throughout the world. I really like the battle system. Butters and I took down the Mongolian horde last night.   

Both those games are hilarious, the funniest games I've ever played. It's like the best possible interactive version of the show. Also, I cannot believe some of the things they got away with in TFBW. You'll know what I mean when it happens. I REALLY hope there is another game in the works.

Last night I returned to Hyrule Warriors, can't remember how long it's been since I last played, but I finally finished acquiring *every* single treasure in the first adventure map. Now I just have to do it on all the other maps (which I've otherwised 100%ed). Only I found out that once you finish unlocking the illustrations, those in turn unlock NEW adventure maps. This freaking game. I'm trying to literally have every single thing in the game completed by the time Age of Calamity comes out but now I don't know  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7094 on: September 16, 2020, 07:41:22 AM »

I love Firewatch, fantastic atmosphere and I liked the plot. I get why people don't like the ending, as some probably had different expectations because the game throws a bunch of red herrings with wild implications at you. But I like they kept it grounded. I enjoyed the gameplay, it is a near-pure walking simulator but it feels good to control and perform actions. Probably my favourite walking sim behind What Remains of Edith Finch.

I really enjoyed Firewatch, my wife and I played through together. It's one of the few modern games that she really enjoys.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7095 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:33 AM »
*Nvm I posted it in the PC thread instead.*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:02:26 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7096 on: September 16, 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
I forgot the PS5 showcase was today. I haven't checked out any of it, except for the Final Fantasy 16 trailer. Been wondering what's up with 16 for a while so this was cool. I get 14 vibes (even though I haven't played it) which is good to me. 15 was a damn dumpster fire of a game, other than some aspects of the battle system and the graphics, imo.

I mean, I'm hyped, because a new numbered FF game means something new, because each game is something new. I just really hope they've learned lessons from 15 and the development of that game. Getting almost some Witcher or Souls vibes from the trailer, which was pretty dark and not very colorful, but I'm super excited to get more info on this.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7097 on: September 16, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Was watching it in the background.

399 for digital version, 500 for disc version.

And PSplus will now include a collection of games, all playable from launch at PS5. A lot of the major PS exclusives seem to be there, so by default PSplus is a hell of a deal for PS5 owners. And the good news is that these games are backwards compatible from the get go, seeing it is a PS5 collection. I don't think they will be upgrades, but the PS5 does play them in PS4pro mode, making it an upgrade for many still.

I don't think Sony will junp towards a gamepass model for the forseeable future, seeing games like God of War, Spidey, TLOU all sell over ten million copies at mid-full price. But if they handle the PSplus collection well, it seems like a great deal. They got the games for it, after all.

Also, God of War 2 in 2021? That is the kind of game that makes me buy the system when it hits the stores.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7098 on: September 16, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »
Oh shit. God of War 2 *and* Horizon 2 in 2021? And it might be the first time I ever join the PS online service. HYPE!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7099 on: September 16, 2020, 03:02:25 PM »
Oh shit. God of War 2 *and* Horizon 2 in 2021? And it might be the first time I ever join the PS online service. HYPE!

I don't think those will be on the online service, not for the first year at the very least. This is more like Nintendo online, but with a PS4 library. In addition to the monthly ps4/5 titles.

Still, if you buy psplus in the yearly days of play sale or the black friday week (35-45 euros here for a year), it is usually a pretty good deal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7100 on: September 16, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »

I don't think those will be on the online service, not for the first year at the very least. This is more like Nintendo online, but with a PS4 library. In addition to the monthly ps4/5 titles.

Still, if you buy psplus in the yearly days of play sale or the black friday week (35-45 euros here for a year), it is usually a pretty good deal.

Oh no I just meant the fact that GoW2 was teased at all has me hyped. I've already planned on buying that and Horizon when they come out, so if both are coming next year (fingers crossed no delays) I am already a satisfied future customer. The PS online service would just be the cherry on the sundae for me. And that Harry Potter game *finally* got a formal announcement, I was trying to find info on that for like 2 years I think. Count me in for that, Final Fantasy 16, and Spidey Miles Morales. Already got 5 games on the docket for the PS5. Hype! :2metal:

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #7101 on: September 16, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
RAGNAROK IS COMING

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7102 on: September 16, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »
Okay last thing I have to say: that Harry Potter game looks AWESOME and I need it.

https://youtu.be/BsC-Rl9GYy0

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #7103 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »
PS5 with ultra HD disc player is 629.99$ for my Canadian Dollar
spending ass, ouch... I’m gonna get it aren’t I?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7104 on: September 16, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
Final Fantasy 16 looks almost exactly like Witcher 3....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar