Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 493960 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6650 on: July 01, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »
Yeah, I think TLOU II is exceptional, finished it last night. Final stretch had me on the edge for sure and I think the ending was great. Second half overall had some great combat scenarios as well.

I finished last night also and although I thought the ending was appropriate, it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for.  This is the kind of game that (based on story content) deserves the possibility of multiple endings according to decisions made by the lead character.  I might be reaching a bit, but it seems that there could be more than one moral to the story so-to-speak.  However, the way it did end also seems as if it was left open for a possible Part 3 to the series.  Did you get that impression at all?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online ErHaO

« Reply #6651 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:40 AM »
Yeah, I think TLOU II is exceptional, finished it last night. Final stretch had me on the edge for sure and I think the ending was great. Second half overall had some great combat scenarios as well.

I finished last night also and although I thought the ending was appropriate, it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for.  This is the kind of game that (based on story content) deserves the possibility of multiple endings according to decisions made by the lead character.  I might be reaching a bit, but it seems that there could be more than one moral to the story so-to-speak.  However, the way it did end also seems as if it was left open for a possible Part 3 to the series.  Did you get that impression at all?

No, not at all actually.

For me, the choices the characters make are essential for how the player perceives the characters. And their actions reflect how the writers see them. Furthermore, in this game especially the players know way more about the entire cast than the actual character you play as.

MAJOR SPOILER Examples:

Ellie only knows Abby as the woman who clubbed Joel to death before her eyes, and her bloody quest for revenge is based on the hatred stemming from that. The players, however, get to know very different sides of Abby, and will see how much common ground they both actually have. That will affect the decision making of the players and I feel that will greatly diminish the integrity of the characters you play as, in the case of a game like this where almost the entire story is based on character development and relationships between people. It is Ellie's choice to leave Dina and the kid, and that choice made me look different at Ellie, because that action right there shows how deep the trauma/hatred was. Making that a choice would turn it into what I want her to do, not necessarily how Ellie feels.  Furthermore, at the end, when Ellie decides not to finish Abby, that says something about Ellie as well. She finds Abby beat up, broken and emotional, not wanting to fight. And she sees her trying to save her friend. It is the first time she actually sees the human side to the woman she has been hunting for months, and in the end she couldn't go through with it. And that tells something about Ellie as well. If the player were to choose, it would be an assumption based on what the player perceives Ellie to be. But it are these crucial decision moments that, to me, make their characters.

The ending shows enough for me, I think the cycle of violence story this game was about is finished. I don't buy Ellie going yet on another quest to hunt Abby or something. She went on a bloody quest of revenge and gained nothing, but lost much.  The story does leave the initial protagonist not reaching her goals, which can feel a bit empty, but I think that is the entire point to the plot. Abby did reach her goal, finding and killing Joel, but she paid the price(s) for that. Her actions also make her go on a borderline unreasonable quest for redemption in saving those kids, while making everyone an enemy. For the ending I only wished Abby also had some kind of brief outro like Ellie had, but her quest for redemption did bring her a new friend and a purpose in finding the fireflies.

I would like to add that I think choices can work in games (I mean, The Witcher 3 is one of my favourites and Geralt works well as a character), but in general that is the player playing a role of a character and how they percieve that character/want him/her to be, and not every plot is suited for that.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6652 on: July 03, 2020, 05:46:12 AM »
What's interesting to me is that even though TLOU2 has pre-built characters, gives no dialogue options, and tells one very specific story, it actually made me feel more apart of the story and the world than a lot of games with customizable characters, dialog options, and branching stories. I think that it does this with emotions - It wants you to feel the same rage, and eventually the same despair, as who you control. When Ellie is torturing someone and you have to press square each time, it wants you to feel some sense of decision-making, just like Ellie is feeling in that moment. Naughty Dog tried to do something really innovative with character perspective, and it totally hit the mark for me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6653 on: July 03, 2020, 01:34:11 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC – PC Features Trailer
One of those games I thought looked really cool on console, nice it's coming too PC.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6654 on: July 05, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »
Beat Dark Souls today for the first time.

Wow, what a game.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6655 on: July 06, 2020, 02:46:19 PM »
I wish I could get into Dark Souls. I played the third game and it took me 5 hours to get to the second boss in DS3. I'm utter garbage at the game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6656 on: July 06, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
I wish I could get into Dark Souls. I played the third game and it took me 5 hours to get to the second boss in DS3. I'm utter garbage at the game.

Forget Dark Souls III for now. I honestly feel like it was made for experienced players. Even I'm having trouble with it and I just beat the first one.

Try and give Dark Souls 1 a shot. I feel like that is the most balanced one, that is fair in the challenge it presents. And I would also say its the overall best one as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:57:15 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6657 on: July 06, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
What are you playing it on? I have DS1 on PC.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6658 on: July 06, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »
I have Dark souls 1 and 3 for PS4.

I have part 2 as as well for PS4, but I would avoid that one. They made some poor design choices with that one.

For the longest time I thought I wouldn't be able to get into Dark Souls, but part one was one of the most rewarding and satisfying gaming experiences I ever had.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #6659 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
Dark Souls 1 is amazing, especially the initial stretch from Undead Burg to beating Anor Londo.

I haven't played 3 yet, but beat one boss at a friend's house somewhere midgame. My Bloodborne instincts served me well there. Vice versa that friend progressed well somewhere mid Bloodborne on my save.

And yes, 2 feels rough, supposedly the DLCs are amazing, but fuck that, ain't got time getting there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6660 on: July 06, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
Hell yeah, Undead burg to Anor Londo was really incredible. After that was fine, but it fell like it was winding down in a way.

And its the total opposite with me and Dark Souls III. I think I struggle with it because I suck at bloodborne  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6661 on: July 07, 2020, 05:57:01 AM »
As far as puzzle games go, The Talos Principle is great.

Forgot that was on my wishlist. Just picked up for $5.

Whoa. I'd never heard of that game. It looks pretty cool and all the Youtube comments I've come across are nothing but high praise. I just snagged the Gold Edition for 87% off.

So I played this bit over the weekend. Super fun and really pretty. I unlocked those B and C buildings, and I'm going to do as the man says and go nowhere near that tower.

Question: Are there some puzzles early on (red mostly) that are impossible to solve without unlocking or discovering something later? I don't like to give up, but there's two or three that got a half an hour each and I'm stumped.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6662 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:07 AM »
* * * Gaming Hot Take * * * ?

Horizon : Zero Dawn was a better game than Death Stranding

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6663 on: July 07, 2020, 06:22:19 AM »

That's not much of a hot take, that is in fact both critic and gamer consensus.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6664 on: July 07, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »

That's not much of a hot take, that is in fact both critic and gamer consensus.

Yea, even some of the most diehard kojima fans hated Death Stranding

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6665 on: July 07, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
Death Stranding was Meh  :P

Online ErHaO

« Reply #6666 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
I am playing Death Stranding and really love it thus far to be honest, especially after it opens up. I enjoy how the world is initially completely barren and you walk from A to B, but slowly you develop good and efficient traderoutes and make an actual impact on the world around you. And it can be tense. Plot and direction is very Kojima as well. Controversial, but I think it is better than anything Kojima did since MGS3. But I really do get why people would not. It is not really a game I would recommend to people.

Horizon is a much more typical modern open world title, but a very good one with a surprisingly great lore/backstory to unravel. Fighting against robo dino's with you bow and gadgets is some of the best open world combat out there. The only thing I wish to see improved in the sequel is more compelling (side)characters and related (side)quests.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #6667 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »

I never played Death Stranding, but HZD is easily one of my all-time favorite games. If I ever take the time to make a top-five list of my favorite current generation games, I'm almost certain HZD will be on it. Amazing world, beautiful visuals, a compelling story, and genuinely fun gameplay.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6668 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
As far as puzzle games go, The Talos Principle is great.

Forgot that was on my wishlist. Just picked up for $5.

Whoa. I'd never heard of that game. It looks pretty cool and all the Youtube comments I've come across are nothing but high praise. I just snagged the Gold Edition for 87% off.

So I played this bit over the weekend. Super fun and really pretty. I unlocked those B and C buildings, and I'm going to do as the man says and go nowhere near that tower.

Question: Are there some puzzles early on (red mostly) that are impossible to solve without unlocking or discovering something later? I don't like to give up, but there's two or three that got a half an hour each and I'm stumped.
You know, I can't remember. I haven't played that since it first came out (and that was like 5 or 6 years ago now). I seem to remember getting stumped on a few puzzles only to come back to them later and figure them out, but I don't know if that was because they were unsolvable at the time or not...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6669 on: July 07, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
I just have to chime in that I am loving Mass Effect 2. I"m about 5 hours in and I'm hooked.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6670 on: July 07, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
I just have to chime in that I am loving Mass Effect 2. I"m about 5 hours in and I'm hooked.
Is this your first time playing the Mass Effect series?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6671 on: July 07, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2. I own 3 and was going to start it up, but I didn't have the game files from 1 and 2, and I wanted to continue with that data (I had assumed you can do that, as you could with 1 and 2). I thought about going through 1 and 2 again to play through all 3 but I am backlogged on games now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6672 on: July 08, 2020, 06:34:10 AM »
Yea this is my first time playing through the ME series. ME1 was rough but that was mainly due to the age of the game, but ME2 is fantastic so far.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #6673 on: July 08, 2020, 06:50:54 AM »
A kind tip for when you guys get to Mass Effect 3: I highly recommend downloading the Extended Cut DLC, which is 100% free! It just expands the endings. Also, if you can spare the change, I recommend picking up all of the paid ME3 DLC as well. It's a bit pricey for a ten year-old game, but most of it is very high quality and takes the game to another level, IMO. For example, I enjoyed the base ME3, but ME3 with all DLC is my favorite game in the series (although opinions will obviously vary). Either way, enjoy!! :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6674 on: July 08, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
ME 2 is definitely one of my favorite games. They nailed it across the board.

Enjoyed ME 1 alot as well and its more RPG elements. ME 3 is decent but I was feeling franchise fatigue and never finished it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6675 on: July 09, 2020, 05:50:30 PM »
Nothing in video games (from my experience) can equate to the thrill of a battle royale victory.  I went on a full month win drought in Call of Duty Warzone, but finally got another notch on the belt.  Feels SOOOO good, plus the adrenaline rush of the end is such a trip.  It's easy to see how one can become so addicted as I am to this genre. 

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6676 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:11 PM »
cram, you seen any of the footage for Ubisoft's new BR game Hyper Scape
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6677 on: July 09, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
Breaking News Headline: Penn State student with no hands wins Call of Duty Warzone. Handicapped gamers everywhere rejoice as they hail their new hero.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6678 on: July 09, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
cram, you seen any of the footage for Ubisoft's new BR game Hyper Scape

Yea, I have it from a twitch drop (I think it's available for everyone on the 12th, for free) but I'm not totally into it.  It's going to be hard to beat Warzone in terms of a BR game for me.  For my tastes at least. 

Breaking News Headline: Penn State student with no hands wins Call of Duty Warzone. Handicapped gamers everywhere rejoice as they hail their new hero.

We are!  :lol but seriously, a lot of gamers now have a separate camera that just shows their hands on keyboard and mouse

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6679 on: July 11, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »
I bought Chime Sharp for Switch. Put it off for such a long time for some reason, when I loved the first Chime. Pleasantly surprised to discover CHVRCHES on this! Fantastic fun little music-puzzle game, highly recommended.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Polarbear

« Reply #6680 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
https://youtu.be/YdzcijLhQV8

First real look at AC: Valhalla!

Looks very similar to Origins and Odyssey, with a new setting and some gameplay improvement's. Hopefully there are some more meaningful side quests, and not a million variations of go pick up that thing and return it to me. That was by far my biggest gripe with Odyssey, which was otherwise a good game.

Medieval England looks interesting as a setting as well!

Online ErHaO

« Reply #6681 on: July 13, 2020, 03:43:01 AM »
In terms of quests in Oddyssey, I found the more mystical questline (finding your real father and related quests) to be much better and varied from a gameplay perspective, compared to the main family one. The cult stuff was a bit too structured for its own good, making the main quest feel like a side activity at some points.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6682 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
Snagged Far Cry 5 for $9 on Steam this morning. I loved 3, and I thought 4 was pretty good. I wasn't intending on getting this one, but $9 seems cheap. For years I've been reading comments from people talking about how they have more games in their library than they'll have time for because of sales... I get it now.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:19:47 AM by Chino »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6683 on: July 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM »
I just picked up Farcry 5 too, I never played 4 but I loved 3.

Chino give it a little more time and when steam sales come around you'll quickly realize you already most of the games on sale :lol

I actually made it a goal to try and play all the games in my library for at least an hour last year. I found real hidden gems, as well as some utter garbage.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6684 on: July 14, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »
I was staring at that $9 Far Cry 5 deal last night  :lol