Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484732 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6545 on: June 11, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »
Definitely hoping the cost is $399 or less. We'll see.

This is unlikely, considering the hardware that is going into it. Unless, of course, they are going with the strategy of taking a loss on the hardware and making up profits in game sales, which they have done before.

I would expect it to launch for no less than 499$
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6546 on: June 12, 2020, 03:23:46 AM »
Well, The Last of Us part II is reviewing extremely well, which is a good sign. Always tricky with sequels to beloved story heavy titles.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6547 on: June 12, 2020, 05:01:07 AM »
I look forward to buying this 4 or 5 years from now.

Pretty much.  I still have 2-3 years worth of games to run thru on the PS4, not to mention a few from the past couple of years that I'll still want to play.  But yeah, the trailer for HZD II looks dope.

Prolly 2023/24 by the time I get around to this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6548 on: June 12, 2020, 06:06:04 AM »
If they would have announced GTA VI as a launch title, then I would have been looking to get PS5 right away but as it is right now, I can definitely wait a little bit, maybe even to when they do the first price drop.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6549 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
I mean I've just bought a PS4 before the lockdown. Definitely waiting a couple of years before getting this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6550 on: June 12, 2020, 07:37:33 AM »
So, do you think I shuld upgrade from the PS3 then?   :)

I'm not kidding actually; I'm still playing off a PS3 (right now I'm slogging through Injustice; I'm about 70% through and just hit the point that I realize I'm never going to 100% trophy this fucker because I can't string enough combos together to get through the battles.)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6551 on: June 12, 2020, 07:53:43 AM »
Well, The Last of Us part II is reviewing extremely well, which is a good sign. Always tricky with sequels to beloved story heavy titles.

Yea, I'm really excited. From the reviews I've read, it does seem as though the game will be even more depressing than the last one. I fully expect it to be a divisive title - the developer said as much - but that's fine with me. It's always a breath of fresh air to see a game with a truly artistic vision, whether I end up liking it or not.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6552 on: June 12, 2020, 08:06:47 AM »
So, do you think I shuld upgrade from the PS3 then?   :)

I'm not kidding actually; I'm still playing off a PS3 (right now I'm slogging through Injustice; I'm about 70% through and just hit the point that I realize I'm never going to 100% trophy this fucker because I can't string enough combos together to get through the battles.)

I totally skipped the PS3 and waited for the PS4.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6553 on: June 12, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »

Yea, I'm really excited. From the reviews I've read, it does seem as though the game will be even more depressing than the last one. I fully expect it to be a divisive title - the developer said as much - but that's fine with me. It's always a breath of fresh air to see a game with a truly artistic vision, whether I end up liking it or not.

Oh, it won't be a happy ride for sure.

And I am also very curious how that live action series will work out, given the talent behind it (writer of the games involved, from makers of Chernobyl, and it is an HBO series).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6554 on: June 12, 2020, 08:33:00 AM »
I mean I've just bought a PS4 before the lockdown. Definitely waiting a couple of years before getting this one.

Someone told me yesterday that if I have the disposable income, that I should just pick it up, that way I can experience new games on release again and my future backlog might be cut down since I won't have to play catch up for a long time. I'm thinking about that 'cause it's a good point. But on the other hand, yeah, I feel you big time. I literally won't finish my PS4 backlog even by the time the 5 drops, and that's a lot of money I could save for more important things..
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6555 on: June 12, 2020, 09:56:14 AM »
If they would have announced GTA VI as a launch title, then I would have been looking to get PS5 right away but as it is right now, I can definitely wait a little bit, maybe even to when they do the first price drop.

Dude, there are a lot more reasons to get a PS5 than just the anticipated release of GTA VI.  Besides, I wouldn't hold my breath.  The way things are in society these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the GTA series gets cancelled altogether.  Just sayin'.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6556 on: June 12, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
In other news, there currently is a massive sale on itch.io, literally thousands of great indie games all for $5.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6557 on: June 12, 2020, 11:44:38 PM »
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/metroid-prime-4-release-date-trailer-gameplay

Headline: Metroid Prime 4 release date, trailer, gameplay and more

From the article:

Release date: "Perhaps, then, we’ll see Metroid Prime 4 in 2023 — although 2024 is more likely. And by then, who knows if the Nintendo Switch will even be Nintendo’s go-to platform? In short, Metroid Prime 4 is likely a long way out."

Trailer: "Since the trailer debuted in 2017, it’s technically referring to a different Metroid Prime 4 experience than the one we’ll eventually get. After all, the game is now in the hands of a totally different studio. On the other hand, simply stating that the game exists, and that it’s in development for the Nintendo Switch, should still be accurate."

Gameplay: "It’s difficult to say anything concrete about Metroid Prime 4’s gameplay, since we don’t have any screenshots or footage to work from."

So, they say they have no idea when the game could be released, post a trailer from 3 years ago, and admit they know nothing about the gameplay. Which was literally the opposite of what I was expecting when clicked the link based on the headline.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6558 on: June 13, 2020, 01:19:20 AM »
I look forward to buying this 4 or 5 years from now.

Pretty much.  I still have 2-3 years worth of games to run thru on the PS4, not to mention a few from the past couple of years that I'll still want to play. 

Your post got me thinking of what I've got left. I finally completely finished Shadow of War, that took about 6 month. I just started Red Dead and if the first game was any indication I've got a year easy on this one. Then I need to get to Remothered 2, Hellblade, Just Cause 4, Spider-man, the Amnesia collection, the two MK games and possibly A Plague's Tale. I also wanna replay Shadow of War and Zero Dawn since they were the most fun I had on the PS4.
MGS5 was amazing too, but I don't have it in me to go through it again.
I probably got longer than you do to go, since I play only one game at a time - cause I get controls mixed up and it gets very frustrating- and I see the games through to 100% completion.
Although I would also like to give games that I abandoned a second chance. On PS4 I've done something I've never done with gaming; abandoning games because I was put off by the controls. It's happened 3 times, Last of Us, Days Gone and Uncharted 4. I used to just soldier on until I learn everything.. I hope it's not an aging thing cause I was hoping to keep gaming well into my retirement years heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6559 on: June 13, 2020, 03:52:06 AM »
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/metroid-prime-4-release-date-trailer-gameplay

Headline: Metroid Prime 4 release date, trailer, gameplay and more

From the article:

Release date: "Perhaps, then, we’ll see Metroid Prime 4 in 2023 — although 2024 is more likely. And by then, who knows if the Nintendo Switch will even be Nintendo’s go-to platform? In short, Metroid Prime 4 is likely a long way out."

Trailer: "Since the trailer debuted in 2017, it’s technically referring to a different Metroid Prime 4 experience than the one we’ll eventually get. After all, the game is now in the hands of a totally different studio. On the other hand, simply stating that the game exists, and that it’s in development for the Nintendo Switch, should still be accurate."

Gameplay: "It’s difficult to say anything concrete about Metroid Prime 4’s gameplay, since we don’t have any screenshots or footage to work from."

So, they say they have no idea when the game could be released, post a trailer from 3 years ago, and admit they know nothing about the gameplay. Which was literally the opposite of what I was expecting when clicked the link based on the headline.

Yeah, clickbait and speculation. But as I have said earlier in this thread. They switched developers just last year and publically stated they rebooted development.

Furthermore, Retro has been making 2d platformers for 10 years or so (good games offcourse). And many of the main people behind Metroid are gone. In addition to that, the studio has not released a new game since 2014 and apparently whatever they were working on supposedly also stranded (before they jumped on Metroid).

For all we know it will be an amazing game, but I am tempering my expecations here. And I am not expecting this game any time soon.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6560 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:28 AM »
If Prime 4 is gonna be that far out, then the least they can do is release Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch. Give us something

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6561 on: June 13, 2020, 06:41:30 AM »
I threw in the towel on FF9, I think just not a genre of game that's in my wheelhouse. Trying out Destiny 2 for a bit because it's free and I have a few friends who play.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6562 on: June 13, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
I swore that I wasn't going to get a new gen console. I spent a bunch of money on a gaming rig and almost all games come to PC (HZD, RDR2, all future first party xbox games) but damnit, I want Gran Turismo 7 so bad. I'll probably buy it and it'll eventually become another netflix box :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6563 on: June 13, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
I swore that I wasn't going to get a new gen console. I spent a bunch of money on a gaming rig and almost all games come to PC (HZD, RDR2, all future first party xbox games) but damnit, I want Gran Turismo 7 so bad. I'll probably buy it and it'll eventually become another netflix box :lol
That's what my PS4 Pro became  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6564 on: June 14, 2020, 12:32:09 AM »
Loved the animation leading into the PS5 reveal, and the design is growing on me, though this thing is huge:

Hope GT7 delivers, and it looks like PC will soon be the lowest common denominator with regards to SSD speeds, as both consoles will have some form of hardware decompression that PC's currently lack, which limits the full utilization of the raw speeds that current SSDs advertise.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6565 on: June 14, 2020, 04:06:15 AM »
Loved the animation leading into the PS5 reveal, and the design is growing on me, though this thing is huge:

Hope GT7 delivers, and it looks like PC will soon be the lowest common denominator with regards to SSD speeds, as both consoles will have some form of hardware decompression that PC's currently lack, which limits the full utilization of the raw speeds that current SSDs advertise.

The thing is massive indeed, kind of odd.

And yes, now that consoles, often the lead development focus, have high speed SSD's, that will become more important. That Ratchet and Clank trailer for example shows heavy use of it, with the instant shifting between entire gameworlds. And the UE4 demo also used SSD speed for it. Apparently the data streaming is so fast that it can "keep up with the player", allowing for more than just the age old CPU and GPU combo.

So taken in all, the reason Sony heavily invested in a very high tier SSD is not necessarily the short loading times. It does make me wonder how the use of external drives will be.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fast-ssd-storage-is-key-to-the-unreal-engine-5-demos-super-detailed-scenes/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6566 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:59 AM »
Wow I didn't get the sense of scale from the video. I currently have a ps3 upstairs and that thing is a beast and can barely fit in my shelf, I don't think the PS5 will be able to.

In other news I picked up Disco Elysium on sale last night and play for about half an hour. It's an interesting game that's for sure, I'll keep at it for a little while longer and see how I like it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6567 on: June 15, 2020, 07:37:34 AM »
Finished GoW main storyline.  I put some long hours into this - much to Mrs.Jingle's chagrin, I'm sure.  I'll fire off some of the side quests and labors, but when that's done in the next couple of weeks, I'll be on the wagon until late fall/early winter.  Time to enjoy the outdoors, and get back to reading.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6568 on: June 15, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Welp. My Switch account was a part of the Hack. I think it happened when I updated it yesterday, I haven't played it in quite a while. Woke up to a message from my bank and an email so I knew it was from them. It was a $77.07 charge to Subway in Seattle (Damn ANTIFA CHAZZers /sarcasm).

Fortunately, it was declined. I always call my bank when I travel out of state, for this reason alone. Now to wait for a new Card and to change my Switch password, guess I have to make it harder now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6569 on: June 15, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
Oh great. I wonder if my switch account was compromised as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6570 on: June 15, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
Mine has, fortunately - knock on wood - never been hacked. But, I also manually input all my CC info when I buy games.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6571 on: June 15, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »

This Friday won't get here soon enough.  Can't wait! :2metal:

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6572 on: June 15, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
Mine has, fortunately - knock on wood - never been hacked. But, I also manually input all my CC info when I buy games.

I guess I have to start doing that again with my new one.

I'm glad my bank caught it right away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6573 on: June 15, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
In Video Game related news. I started playing Trial of Mana (Collection version) again. I stopped playing because I got lost and didn't know where to go. Now, I suddenly figured out where to go, don't know why I couldn't figure it out. The solution just slapped me in the face, like a duh moment.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6574 on: June 15, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Resident evil 7 was on sale for $9.99 so I couldn't turn that down. This my first time playing it and its creepy as hell. First person changes the whole dynamic

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6575 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
So, yeah. I'll be buying a PS5 for sure now.

Horizon Forbidden West
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6576 on: June 15, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
In Video Game related news. I started playing Trial of Mana (Collection version) again. I stopped playing because I got lost and didn't know where to go. Now, I suddenly figured out where to go, don't know why I couldn't figure it out. The solution just slapped me in the face, like a duh moment.

This happens a lot with me when I get frustrated trying to figure something out. Sometimes stepping back and coming to it later with fresh eyes makes a huge diffrrence

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6577 on: June 15, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
So, yeah. I'll be buying a PS5 for sure now.

Horizon Forbidden West
I'll be waiting for the inevitable PC version.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6578 on: June 15, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »
In other news, there currently is a massive sale on itch.io, literally thousands of great indie games all for $5.
Only 11 hours left, 1704 games for just $5. Get it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6579 on: June 15, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
How many of those 1700 games are even worth playing? Some of them aren't even really games from what I've heard.