Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484663 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6580 on: June 15, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »
Plenty of them like Night In The Woods, Celeste, Minits, Dujanah, OneShot, Oxenfree, Pyre, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Anodyne, and way more. Yeah some are apps and texture packs but the vast majority are games from every single game genre you can think of.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6581 on: June 15, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
Hmmm. I can only guarantee that I'll touch Celeste, but I already have way too much to play. But I bought it anyway since it's only $5 and going to a good cause. I guess that's still cheaper than what I'd pay for Celeste on the PS4 or Switch, so hooray! Congrats Cyril/Buddyhunter, I'll finally get around to playing Celeste now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6582 on: June 15, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
Also bought it. My gaming laptop died last year and I have no intent replacing it anytime soon, but eventually I will have a pc/laptop that is capable again. Though some games seem like they will run on my old laptop.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6583 on: June 15, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
In Video Game related news. I started playing Trial of Mana (Collection version) again. I stopped playing because I got lost and didn't know where to go. Now, I suddenly figured out where to go, don't know why I couldn't figure it out. The solution just slapped me in the face, like a duh moment.

This happens a lot with me when I get frustrated trying to figure something out. Sometimes stepping back and coming to it later with fresh eyes makes a huge diffrrence

I contribute it to me thinking more clearly due to not being buzzed when I played.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6584 on: June 15, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
Only 11 hours left, 1704 games for just $5. Get it.

I hope it isn't the 2020 equivalent of Action 52! I wouldn't know where to start if I suddenly acquired 17 games, to say nothing of 1704. I have played One Night Stand, and heard good things about Celeste.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6585 on: June 16, 2020, 02:03:08 AM »
Only 11 hours left, 1704 games for just $5. Get it.

I hope it isn't the 2020 equivalent of Action 52! I wouldn't know where to start if I suddenly acquired 17 games, to say nothing of 1704. I have played One Night Stand, and heard good things about Celeste.

Yes, there surely is a lot of crap in it. There are some articles giving recommendations that might help:

https://www.pcgamer.com/12-amazing-games-from-itchs-racial-justice-and-equality-bundle/

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/11/21287814/racial-justice-equality-bundle-recommendations-itchio-black-lives-matter

And a lot more if you google the bundle.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6586 on: June 16, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
When I built my new PC a couple weeks ago, I replaced my monitor as well.  I had this like 10 year old monitor that was top of the line then, but I had a new monitor at my desk at work that was bigger and 2k resolution so I popped that in.... what I didn't realize was the new monitor was only 60Hz refresh rate which is just not very good for gaming.  I was getting my ass handed to me in Call of Duty the last couple weeks and finally swapped my older monitor back in as while its 1080P, it does have a 240Hz refresh rate.  Now the game feels so much smoother htting those high FPS and I can see much better.  I had no idea that refresh rate would make that big of a difference.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6587 on: June 16, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »
When I built my new PC a couple weeks ago, I replaced my monitor as well.  I had this like 10 year old monitor that was top of the line then, but I had a new monitor at my desk at work that was bigger and 2k resolution so I popped that in.... what I didn't realize was the new monitor was only 60Hz refresh rate which is just not very good for gaming.  I was getting my ass handed to me in Call of Duty the last couple weeks and finally swapped my older monitor back in as while its 1080P, it does have a 240Hz refresh rate.  Now the game feels so much smoother htting those high FPS and I can see much better.  I had no idea that refresh rate would make that big of a difference.

It does (especially for PC online shooters), but have you also considered a potential difference in input lag and/or response time as well? Those can differ as well and throw you off a lot, I have experienced that for similarly specified screens. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6588 on: June 16, 2020, 08:27:45 AM »

It does (especially for PC online shooters), but have you also considered a potential difference in input lag and/or response time as well? Those can differ as well and throw you off a lot, I have experienced that for similarly specified screens.

Yea, being that new monitor is meant for business not gaming, I'd imagine the input lag is greater as well.  Either way, I got a lesson the hard way in monitors  :lol Part of me is debating about getting a new gaming monitor, but then again, I don't know, if this 10 year old one still holds up so well, what's the point?  Most competitive gamers still keep it at 1080P to get the highest frame rates anyway. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6589 on: June 16, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »

Yea, being that new monitor is meant for business not gaming, I'd imagine the input lag is greater as well.  Either way, I got a lesson the hard way in monitors  :lol Part of me is debating about getting a new gaming monitor, but then again, I don't know, if this 10 year old one still holds up so well, what's the point?  Most competitive gamers still keep it at 1080P to get the highest frame rates anyway.

If you are aiming for competitive gaming, sync monitors are perhaps an upgrade (which syncs the refreshment rate of the screen to the framerate of the game).

But I am mainly a console gamer content with my 30 fps cinematic games at sub-4k so can't really comment on that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6590 on: June 16, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
My understanding is freesync would be nice, gsync is a waste of money. Nice but overly expensive where the freesync is cheaper while being just as effective.  My brother has a 4k gsync monitor and it looks amazing, but it's too big for my liking (and was over $1k when he got it a couple years ago, which is more than I want to spend).  I think I'm OK for now, but if I get the itch to upgrade the monitor, I will look for something with that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6591 on: June 17, 2020, 01:37:30 PM »
 :omg: :omg: Pokemon Snap is making a return

https://youtu.be/Q_8fAnhtSRA
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6592 on: June 17, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »

Oooh, damn, that was unexpected. Will probably have some massive nostalgia playing it initially, but I do wonder how long the game will be able to entertain me to be honest.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6593 on: June 17, 2020, 04:34:43 PM »
Me and my best friend have been yelling about why we want a new Pokemon Snap for 10+ years and we're both pretty stoked to see this although I'm very curious how many and which Pokemon will be in it and how big the stages will be. Seeing Wailord out there had me pretty hyped.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6594 on: June 17, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »
Me and my best friend have been yelling about why we want a new Pokemon Snap for 10+ years and we're both pretty stoked to see this although I'm very curious how many and which Pokemon will be in it and how big the stages will be. Seeing Wailord out there had me pretty hyped.
Thought you meant Walrein :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6595 on: June 17, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »
Thought you meant Walrein :neverusethis:

:rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6596 on: June 19, 2020, 08:08:20 AM »
As I have re-visited The Last of Us Remaster the past few days, I'd forgotten how much I hate clickers!  >:(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6597 on: June 19, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
So, yeah. I'll be buying a PS5 for sure now.

Horizon Forbidden West
I'll be waiting for the inevitable PC version.

Why do you think it will eventually be released on PC?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/06/17/will-horizon-forbidden-west-be-on-pc-steam/
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6598 on: June 19, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
So, yeah. I'll be buying a PS5 for sure now.

Horizon Forbidden West
I'll be waiting for the inevitable PC version.

Why do you think it will eventually be released on PC?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/06/17/will-horizon-forbidden-west-be-on-pc-steam/
While there are no plans to release it on PC, there were never any plans to release the original on PC either. Yet, here we are.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6599 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
I think on the long term Sony will allow devs to port their games to pc. They have been testing the waters recently. See: Detroid Become Human, Death Stranding and Horizon. And I think there are rumors for Bloodborne as well.

But for sure these titles will first serve to push the PS5.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6600 on: June 20, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »

Oooh, damn, that was unexpected. Will probably have some massive nostalgia playing it initially, but I do wonder how long the game will be able to entertain me to be honest.

I rented it when it came out and beat everything that same night.

It was still fun trying to get some amazing pictures, and throwing a pest ball at a Charmeleon knocking it into a lava pit to evolve it.

This one looks way funner and cooler due to graphics and the amount of activity that's possible.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6601 on: June 22, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
Wow!  A couple of unexpected turns in TLOU Part II.  :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6602 on: June 22, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
Last night I finally took down the Cyclops in AC: Odyssey. Thought I'd share some of the pics I took of this momentous occasion. Battle took roughly 15-20 minutes, but that was after several other attempts. Super fun and even more fun to play with photo mode in the process.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6603 on: June 22, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »

Just started it, let's see if the game will surprise me. As a big fan of 1 I never really wanted a sequel, rather another story (for example, a story like Ish, which you read in the letters in the sewers in 1).

I also fully expect controversial stuff, as the game is getting a lot of both love and hate.

I rented it when it came out and beat everything that same night.

It was still fun trying to get some amazing pictures, and throwing a pest ball at a Charmeleon knocking it into a lava pit to evolve it.

This one looks way funner and cooler due to graphics and the amount of activity that's possible.

I loved it as a kid, and am very interested in seeing how I will experience a more elaborate version of the concept. Not many games out there like it (if at all?).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6604 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Very hooked on Sea of thieves atm, fun game!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6605 on: June 23, 2020, 08:33:00 AM »

Did they do any major updates?  I haven't touched that game in at least a year or two.

COD is starting to piss me off.  I encounter hackers like every other game now and it just ruins it.  Here I get shot through a wall and question why am I playing this https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1275170713989775360

So I am starting to get the urge to play something else.  I've been following a streamer lately and was able to play GTFO with them.  Very challenging and different type of game than I am used to. They also play a lot of overwatch so I may try playing that again, but the reality is no game gets my heart pumping than a good round of a battle royale with high stakes.  Really hard to replicate that real life feeling from playing a game that isn't in the genre and it's what has gotten me hooked since PUBG came out years ago.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6606 on: June 23, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »

Did they do any major updates?  I haven't touched that game in at least a year or two.

COD is starting to piss me off.  I encounter hackers like every other game now and it just ruins it.  Here I get shot through a wall and question why am I playing this https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1275170713989775360

So I am starting to get the urge to play something else.  I've been following a streamer lately and was able to play GTFO with them.  Very challenging and different type of game than I am used to. They also play a lot of overwatch so I may try playing that again, but the reality is no game gets my heart pumping than a good round of a battle royale with high stakes.  Really hard to replicate that real life feeling from playing a game that isn't in the genre and it's what has gotten me hooked since PUBG came out years ago.
I first played it when it came to steam so i'm not sure about it's history of updates but they did release one update recently called Haunted Shores.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6607 on: June 23, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
Doesn't look too much different than from when I last played.  I feel like you need a good crew to play with to really get the most out of that game.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6608 on: June 23, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
Doesn't look too much different than from when I last played.  I feel like you need a good crew to play with to really get the most out of that game.
Yea i'm not sure what's diffrent then when it launched. I play with a crew of either 3 or 4 players and we really enjoy the diffrent roles you can have on the ship so that the ship becomes efficent in battle.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6609 on: June 23, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »

Just started it, let's see if the game will surprise me. As a big fan of 1 I never really wanted a sequel, rather another story (for example, a story like Ish, which you read in the letters in the sewers in 1).

I also fully expect controversial stuff, as the game is getting a lot of both love and hate.

Now that I'm 16+ hours into it, trying very hard not to reveal spoilers.  This is truly a fantastic game and the controversial issues are nothing that we haven't already seen before in other games/tv/movies.  Not to mention the real life controversies plaguing our society today.  This game really maintains a good balance between shock value, gameplay, strategy and most of all the compelling story.  So glad they finally put out this amazing sequel to the original game that really goes beyond expectations from what I've seen so far.  Absolutely love it!  :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6610 on: June 24, 2020, 07:07:55 AM »

Now that I'm 16+ hours into it, trying very hard not to reveal spoilers.  This is truly a fantastic game and the controversial issues are nothing that we haven't already seen before in other games/tv/movies.  Not to mention the real life controversies plaguing our society today.  This game really maintains a good balance between shock value, gameplay, strategy and most of all the compelling story.  So glad they finally put out this amazing sequel to the original game that really goes beyond expectations from what I've seen so far.  Absolutely love it!  :tup

I think I'm just a shade behind you (more in the 12 hour range), but I agree 100% with what you said so far. If I had to make a criticism, it would be that the gameplay sections sometimes stretch out a little long for my taste (I thought that Pt. 1 was a bit tighter). Frankly though, that's a nitpick. Everything else has been great... The visuals? Maybe the best ever. The sound design? Mind-blowing. The story? Compelling. The world? Captivating. The characters? Likable thus far.

I can't wait to keep playing!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6611 on: June 24, 2020, 07:53:35 AM »
5-6 hours in and loving it thus far. Like Uncharted 4, the game takes it's time and isn't afraid of sections with little amounts of combat, but in my opinion in this game that pays off in regards to tension building. Not every corner is an encounter. And Naughty Dog is simply excellent in portraying human interactions. Their stories usually are very basic, it is the characters and how they interact that makes their storytelling.

Combat is visceral and I still think there are not that much games much like it (Day Gone being the most obvious example), it just is a very natural blend between stealth and action, with believable line of sight mechanics rather than the "you were spotted so all enemies now know where you are" system that is in so many games.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6612 on: June 24, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
I’m having the same experience with TLOU2 that I did with TLOU. I play it in pieces for the first few hours but then I find myself getting into it and have a hard time putting it down. The graphics are amazing and the animations look so life like, it’s scary sometimes. There are so many tiny details like the blood spatter in snow and footprints in the snow with blood, the rope physics and a make out scene that doesn’t look awkward.

I did find the first controversial thing that happened in the game way out of character and kind of forced, but I’m enjoying the game. I do find it a bit more depressing though with what’s going on in the world.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6613 on: June 24, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

I love Sea of Thieves, my brother and I would get on an grief ships all the time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6614 on: June 25, 2020, 06:52:46 AM »
The graphics are amazing and the animations look so life like, it’s scary sometimes.

Yesterday suddenly an enemy went on her knees to beg for her life (non-scripted). Felt super rough finishing her, because the whole thing looked so convincing.

And using photomode at times showes how ridiculous the (facial) animation/detail is during actual gameplay. You can often catch the characters visibly reacting to something happening.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:39:44 AM by ErHaO »