Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177303 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
How could you not be excited for XIII? It's the first game on a new system, and those have a hell of a track record. IV, VII, X. I can't stand the wait.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »
Yeah, XIII is looking to be pretty amazing so far.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
I just listened to the OST for ff13, it's pretty epic

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: February 01, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
I dunno, I'm just having a hard time getting excited; early Japanese reviews have stated the game to be extremely linear, and screenshots of maps seem to indicate that the entire game is more or less one big hallway, with combat seemingly annoying at times (if Lightning, main character chick, is K.O.'d, game over, even if everyone else is fine). The characters seem to be pretty cool, if standard FF, though I'll wait to see what their characterization is like (I like Lightning already), but still, I have the feeling that, like XII, it will be less of a game and more of a movie - except even more so.

It's not like I'll be able to afford it anyways :lol but I'll definitely give it a chance. It's Final Fantasy, for fuck's sake, this series RAISED me.

I digress; I find I want a FFVII remake more and more every day - while there's a ton of things that could go easily wrong (and I mean a ton), just the thought of seeing some of the more epic, classic moments of the game with current-gen graphics and sound... damn!

Though I do not want to see high-detail crossdressing Cloud for the Don Corneo mansion infiltration plot.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
Final Fantasy X was more or less a big hallway too. As far as Lightning, it seems like you should just be able to devote your attention to keeping her alive. I don't see it as being a big deal. Hopefully she'll be more powerful than the rest though. I can't imagine how frustrating X would have been if the game was over whenever Tidus died.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
True, and I'll be much more motivated to keep a badass chick like Lightning alive than I would be the whiny blond jock that is Tidus :lol

As for the hallway thing, yeah, X was more linear than previous installments (I miss world maps, but I understand they would be completely ridiculous and outdated in a modern game), but at least there were puzzles and the like to solve (that's one thing I missed in XII, there were hardly any). Now, I can't judge XIII and say there aren't any when I haven't even played the game yet, but someone took screenshots of the minimaps of the areas in the first half of the game and put them all side by side and it honestly looks like one big straight hallway with fight after fight. Still, shame on me, I'll try to avoid further judgment before I actually own it. :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »
I just listened to the OST for ff13, it's pretty epic

Oh shit! I forgot that came out already!
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
The long line map spoken of for XIII is very reminiscent of X, that's very disappointing, but we'll see.

XII definitely had puzzles, they were just more integrated into the world more than in X.  There was trying to hunt down an artifact in Dalmasca that opened of the Necrohol of Nabudis, that matching puzzle in Archadia to gain those sticks, and figuring out how to get the Cockatrice's back to their home had a few puzzles.  If I had to guess I ran in to more puzzles in XII than in X, they were just more indirect in presentation.  X was plopping you into a room and telling you to solve a puzzle.

edit: I would clarify that I think the puzzles were more frequent in X as they were very regular, but XII just had so much content beyond the primary story.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:06:37 PM by yorost »

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
Why are the best weapons in FFX so much fucking hassle to get? I've got some of them but powering them up takes FOREVER.

I remember spending like 2 days straight doing that stupid chocobo race for Tidus's powerup.  There were so many times I was a fraction of a second away from 0:0:0; I remember lots of swearing.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
Why are the best weapons in FFX so much fucking hassle to get? I've got some of them but powering them up takes FOREVER.

I remember spending like 2 days straight doing that stupid chocobo race for Tidus's powerup.  There were so many times I was a fraction of a second away from 0:0:0; I remember lots of swearing.

haha Same here. And then when my brother plays it he gets the sigil on his fifth try. I was not a happy panda.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »

haha Same here. And then when my brother plays it he gets the sigil on his fifth try. I was not a happy panda.
I can usually get that sigil with in a couple hours, it's just luck really.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
NICE AVATAR.

I remember spending like 2 days straight doing that stupid chocobo race for Tidus's powerup.  There were so many times I was a fraction of a second away from 0:0:0; I remember lots of swearing.
Fuck that. I'm not even attempting that one.

I got Yuna's the other day (pretty easy compared to the rest) and FUUUUUU holy is powerful.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:39 AM »
The only three I ever bother getting fully powered up are Auron's, Tidus' and Yuna's, since those were my main characters if I didn't need to do anything special with the others.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: February 02, 2010, 12:39:34 AM »
I've been leveling up everyone equally so I'll feel bad if I don't get everyone else's :neverusethis:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
Oh I make sure everyone gets at least one turn in every battle so they're all the same level. But after everyone gets their one move or they use a specific skill I need every now and then I used Auron, Tidus and Yuna much more than anyone else.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #435 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
Wakka's World Champion when fully powered up does more damage in one turn than any other character's CW.  It's worth getting if you want to succeed in the Monster Arena.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: February 02, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
That means playing Blitzball though :(

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
Should I buy The War of the Lions on the PSP (I need more games for this), or just buy the original Final Fantasy Tactics on the PlayStation Network for the PS3?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »

Am I the only one who actually liked Blitzball? My team kicked ass. Hell, I even beat the Luca goers with the Aurochs the first time you visit Luca.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

Am I the only one who actually liked Blitzball? My team kicked ass. Hell, I even beat the Luca goers with the Aurochs the first time you visit Luca.

Nope, Blitzball is my favorite FF minigame. :tup I beat the Goers too, but not until my third or fourth playthrough when I understood how the fucking thing worked better :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
I beat the Luca Goers as well.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
Should I buy The War of the Lions on the PSP (I need more games for this), or just buy the original Final Fantasy Tactics on the PlayStation Network for the PS3?
Go with Tactics, and put it on a PSP memory stick.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
What's the advantage of Tactics over War of the Lions?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »
The long line map spoken of for XIII is very reminiscent of X, that's very disappointing, but we'll see.

XII definitely had puzzles, they were just more integrated into the world more than in X.  There was trying to hunt down an artifact in Dalmasca that opened of the Necrohol of Nabudis, that matching puzzle in Archadia to gain those sticks, and figuring out how to get the Cockatrice's back to their home had a few puzzles.  If I had to guess I ran in to more puzzles in XII than in X, they were just more indirect in presentation.  X was plopping you into a room and telling you to solve a puzzle.

edit: I would clarify that I think the puzzles were more frequent in X as they were very regular, but XII just had so much content beyond the primary story.
This, XII wasn't linear at all really, there was essentially a world map, only it was actually full size instead of the silly things you got in the old games. X was very linear though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »

Nope, Blitzball is my favorite FF minigame. :tup I beat the Goers too, but not until my third or fourth playthrough when I understood how the fucking thing worked better :lol

I loved Blitzball but there's the way it's the best FF minigame. The card game in VIII was just too addicting.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
I also loved blitzball

It was a bit unbalanced though.  Your team sucked in the beginning, but past a certain point it was way too easy.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
That's true. Just get Tudis, Wakka and Brother (airship pilot) on the front lines and they can't really stop you from scoring.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #447 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
Wait, what did I miss in this thread? *points at avatar* are you guys replaying FF games? If so, I'd love to join. I've been eager to play through FFVII, VIII, IX, X and Tactics for quite some time now and I think this is the perfect excuse for doing so  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm still up for a playthrough of VII or VIII. But if we do it I'd rather it not take any longer than a month since XIII comes out then and I'm dropping everything to play it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
*shrug* Seems like VII is a common denominator in all of this. Shall we?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
That just means we're back to the same problem of deciding on some checkpoints though.  :lol

I'll ask my friend who has the game pretty much memorized what he thinks some good spots would be.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: February 02, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
This is a good idea. Worse comes to worse, we could just use Gyno's idea.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
Discs? I could probably manage that but I'm sure there are people much busier than I that wouldn't have that much time. What if we split each of the first two discs in half and that was the checkpoint for those. The third disc is short enough (if I remember correctly, it's been years since I've played it) that it can be it's own block. We would just have to decide what event in the game is half way.

That seem manageable enough?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
Discs? I could probably manage that but I'm sure there are people much busier than I that wouldn't have that much time.
No. Discs would be borderline suicide. Midgar, Junon, Rocket Town, Temple, Disc, Halfway through Glacier, end of Glacier, getting Cloud back, disc, disc.

I think that's what he posted. I can't be bothered to check though.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
I kind of ninja edited my previous post. I suppose that would work. It might take a while if those are the checkpoints for a week each though. A concern for me is finishing before XIII comes out because I will not want to play VII then.