Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 166472 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1225 on: June 12, 2023, 08:28:41 AM »
Ascendancy is a top 50 album for me.  That was direction of music I was getting into at that time so makes sense why I didn't really gravitate towards Avenged Sevenfold.

Got through a few songs on Nightmare today.  This is much more my thing.  How good is the title track?  Not sure why I didn't give this one a chance at least.

Did you skip the Self-Titled album? Why?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1226 on: June 12, 2023, 08:50:25 AM »
Pretty sure Wolfy said he was going to spin the albums he had on CD, which didn’t include the self titled.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1227 on: June 12, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »
Cosmic is stuck in my head. Fantastic song.

Mattel is fun.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1228 on: June 12, 2023, 11:07:20 AM »
So, I have not traditionally been a fan of this band, but this new album is fantastic. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: June 12, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
Yup, same. Although I really liked Nightmare. And City of Evil and the self-titled aren't bad. But this new one... wow. And yet it appears to have taken a total panning in some quarters.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: June 12, 2023, 11:27:36 AM »
Yup, same. Although I really liked Nightmare. And City of Evil and the self-titled aren't bad. But this new one... wow. And yet it appears to have taken a total panning in some quarters.

No surprise for the beating though.  Avenged are too mainstream for this album to go over well.  It's just not something the average music fan is going to easily enjoy.  Now us prog fans over here at DTF... this is like our bread and butter. 

But honestly, for a prog album, this album was much easier for me to digest for some reason say compared to Haken's Fauna (which I did enjoy).  I feel like I loved this album on first listen and that's just not normal for me when it comes to prog.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: June 12, 2023, 06:21:24 PM »
Ascendancy is a top 50 album for me.  That was direction of music I was getting into at that time so makes sense why I didn't really gravitate towards Avenged Sevenfold.

Got through a few songs on Nightmare today.  This is much more my thing.  How good is the title track?  Not sure why I didn't give this one a chance at least.

Did you skip the Self-Titled album? Why?

I own City of Evil, Nightmare and Hail to the King on CD mate, so those are on rotation in the car.  I'll get to the rest after those.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1232 on: June 12, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »
Have to say I am struggling with this one. Got a few listens in and I am just not getting it yet. I love City, Nightmare and The Stage.

Some of my thoughts are this - Brooks' snare sound is not very good. Too muted and not enough snap to it. Many of the songs, to me, feel like almost fragments. I know someone said this would be a hard one to have a track come on shuffle instead of listening as a whole. I'm listening as a whole and am struggling. I don't hate it, I'm not just feeling it yet, if I ever. I don't fault the guys for following their heart. I just might not end up really liking it too much.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: June 13, 2023, 05:41:27 AM »
Running through Nightmare, this is pretty good stuff.  The title track, Welcome to the Family, Natural Born Killer, Buried Alive, Save Me, all good stuff.  The vocals are a lot more palatable on this one too.  Really strong actually.  I'll be replaying this one.  Not sure why I didn't dive into it back in the day.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1234 on: June 13, 2023, 08:30:23 AM »
Maybe you were inconsolable over Portnoy’s decision  :lol

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1235 on: June 13, 2023, 08:58:13 AM »

He did a phenomenal job on that album, loved his work.  Also love the new one, spun it during my workout this am and couldn't wait to start it again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: June 14, 2023, 04:54:01 AM »

The funny thing is that I remember the whole debacle that happened over this quite vividly.  The whole dumping DT and thinking he could join Avenged when that wasn't their intentions at all haha.

On another note, I ran through Hail today and this is a great album.  Sounds wonderful and some absolutely ripping solos.  Love the straight ahead metal approach here.  Will spin it again tomorrow.  There's one song that blatantly rips of Sad But True but really enjoyed this one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: June 14, 2023, 08:29:21 AM »
Actually surprised you are enjoying Hail to the King.  It seems generally regarded as their worst.  Personally, I really liked it.  It is a bit basic, but it's still good to me. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1238 on: June 14, 2023, 08:49:27 AM »
HTTK coming after Nightmare was a big let down. But a decade later I think I go back to that more than Nightmare.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1239 on: June 14, 2023, 11:21:14 AM »
HTTK ist great for two songs, any two songs, but then it gets too samey.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1240 on: June 14, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »
There are a lot of crescendo-like effects on this album. It also is all over the place. I admit to not knowing a lot of the band's middle catalog of albums, but this is very different from what I know, and that's not a bad thing. Enjoying it a lot.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1241 on: June 14, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »
I wasn't surprised to see Matt wearing a Daft Punk shirt recently after I heard (O)rdinary. A straight lift from DP! It's still a fun song.

Overall I'm enjoying the album across the board. You definitely have to try and listen to it front-to-back.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: June 14, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »
Actually surprised you are enjoying Hail to the King.  It seems generally regarded as their worst.  Personally, I really liked it.  It is a bit basic, but it's still good to me.

Wow.  No complaints here.  Best guitar playing of the three albums IMO.  Production too.  I can imagine the more straight ahead approach may not have been everyones cup of tea from what the band seemed to have cemented themselves as, but I like it a lot.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1243 on: June 14, 2023, 07:37:40 PM »
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

There's very little to like on that record. Makes HTTK look like Mozart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1244 on: June 14, 2023, 07:41:16 PM »
Warmness on the Soul is an amazing ballad, though. Dat piano

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1245 on: June 14, 2023, 07:42:10 PM »
On the subject of HTTK, i think it's pretty good.  I probably like it better than The Stage in terms of overall track quality. I like a good 5 songs from HTTK. 6 songs if you count the bonus track,  St. James. Icky thing The Stage has going for itself is The Stage;  which is their top song, in my opinion.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1246 on: June 14, 2023, 07:42:47 PM »
Warmness on the Soul is an amazing ballad, though. Dat piano
I'll give you that one.  I have Warmness on a couple playlists

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: June 14, 2023, 11:12:50 PM »
On the subject of HTTK, i think it's pretty good.  I probably like it better than The Stage in terms of overall track quality. I like a good 5 songs from HTTK. 6 songs if you count the bonus track,  St. James. Icky thing The Stage has going for itself is The Stage;  which is their top song, in my opinion.

I'll check this out.  I ran through this album again today, I really really liked it.  Some very tasty solos on here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 15, 2023, 05:19:42 AM »
The solos on Shepherd of Fire, the title track, Heretic, Crimson Day and Coming Home are all very very impressive.  Always never thought much of Gates and I don't know why.  Super tasteful guitar player.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: June 15, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

There's very little to like on that record. Makes HTTK look like Mozart

Fair enough, I guess a lot of people seem to like the first two albums quite a bit, but I even actually forgot about Seventh Trumpet.  Haven't listened to it in forever, but I remember thinking it was decent. 

The Stage (the song) is incredible.  Not sure my favorite of theirs, but it's up there for sure. 

The solos on Shepherd of Fire, the title track, Heretic, Crimson Day and Coming Home are all very very impressive.  Always never thought much of Gates and I don't know why.  Super tasteful guitar player.

I discovered the band because a friend of mine in college gave me the City of Evil CD saying "you'll like this" and after the first guitar solo on Beast and the Harlot I was sold.  I feel like Gates is underated because too many people think the band are butt rock which makes no sense to me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: June 20, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »
I've gone back to the new album and I'm still confused but this is really something different, unique and intriguing. 

I haven't looked into the story but this must be a Truman Show kind of concept?  The whole 'good afternoon, good evening and goodnight' thing is the giveaway but I haven't listened closely to a lot of the lyrics.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1251 on: June 20, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »
Maybe. I could be wrong but Cosmic feels like it's based on the movie Interstellar.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1252 on: June 21, 2023, 01:53:32 AM »
Maybe. I could be wrong but Cosmic feels like it's based on the movie Interstellar.

I’ve not seen Interstellar but this is my take on Cosmic. It’s from the perspective of someone you have lost, letting you know they are everywhere, in everything, as part of the universe, as we always have been and always will be. If you believe in the theory that all time and space is basically happening simultaneously then the person has returned to the universe, as it were.

They are in every moment, that has been or will be. You’ll find them there, and that’s a comfort. Just as we will return to the universe when we pass. It’s kind of linked to reincarnation. Just my interpretation though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:34:41 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: June 21, 2023, 06:03:48 AM »
That solo though, my goodness.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: June 21, 2023, 08:20:07 AM »

I’ve not seen Interstellar but this is my take on Cosmic. It’s from the perspective of someone you have lost, letting you know they are everywhere, in everything, as part of the universe, as we always have been and always will be. If you believe in the theory that all time and space is basically happening simultaneously then the person has returned to the universes, as it were.

They are in every moment, that has been or will be. You’ll find them there, and that’s a comfort. Just as we will return to the universe when we pass. It’s kind of linked to reincarnation. Just my interpretation though.

I haven't looked at the lyrics or read anything from the band to know what the song is actually about.  But musically, every single time I listen to it I feel like I'm in a shuttle lifting off at that 4:50 mark and then when it calms is when you break the horizon and see earth far below but also the stars and universe ahead of you.  I may have listened to this song too much under the influence of marijuana. But I can't shake that feeling and it's incredible.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1255 on: June 21, 2023, 11:54:16 AM »
Life is but a dream has been on steady rotation the past couple days, there's so much clicking w me on this album now.  Cosmic may be my favorite A7X song ever.  Every member's performance is awesome here, I need to dive into the lyrics soon and get the whole picture.  Just a great album.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1256 on: June 21, 2023, 07:19:35 PM »
While I am probably wrong on it being related to Interstellar, I think there's enough connections to it. I love Interstellar so I am especially fond of this song and forcing it to fit :lol

One of the lyrics says "into that good night." This is what sparked my attention to a possible connection, because Michael Caine's character quotes this poem to Cooper as he is aboard the spaceship. Of course, it's a famous poem, so that doesn't mean the song and movie are completely connected.

The "there you'll find me" section gives me vibes from when Cooper lands in the 4th dimension and communicates to his daughter by moving books around. This is time travel, which the lyrics kind of allude to. I am being loose with the connections here, but it does give me those vibes.

"Rings of dust and ice
Weightless in the night
There you'll find me"

They have to travel through a wormhole near Saturn, who has rings of dust and ice.

"From all that was before
We shut another door
But not a last goodbye...
I found a way back in (gone)
Until we meet again"

Cooper eventually reunites with his daughter, who has grown of old age while he remained relatively the same age due to his interstellar flight. He is able to give a last goodbye.

Even musically, I get the Interstellar vibe and some of what cram said about the shuttle. Cosmic is such a great name for this amazing song. Even the digitized voice could be Cooper in the 4th dimension bringing everything full circle.

Thank you for reading my rambling of a song I am adoring.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2023, 01:27:39 AM »
I get it dude, I always end up finding media relating to The Wheel of Time (all time favourite series of books) in my own head canon.

Speaking of which, Cosmic could actually relate to The Wheel of Time, since reincarnation is a big part of the overall theme of the series. This could be written from the point of view of [redacted for spoilers] when he dies/becomes one with the pattern.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: June 23, 2023, 09:45:59 AM »
Tonight! I'm very excited for this one, a solid couple opening acts too  :metal

I'll be on that street corner at 5:30  :hat before the show

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
Tonight! I'm very excited for this one, a solid couple opening acts too  :metal

I'll be on that street corner at 5:30  :hat before the show

Will there be video of the show?!  Enjoy - I was going to try to get down there tonight myself but couldn't get out of some commitments.