Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164559 times)

Online NoseofNicko

Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1190 on: June 08, 2023, 04:53:35 PM »
Ok it’s official, Life Is But a Dream… is their best! Awesome album! :metal
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:01:32 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1191 on: June 08, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »
Cosmic is my song of the year right now. It hits so hard, and has a bit of everything that I look for in music  :heart

Saw an interview clip on tiktok where M SHadows was asked if they will play this song.  He said yes, but not likely on the first run of dates.  He said he already noticed this song is getting huge fan attention and they've already practiced and played it.  I'm seeing them in 2 weeks in NYC, hoping by first run of dates he meant the shows that already happened.

I hope they end up playing a lot of songs from this album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1192 on: June 08, 2023, 06:53:22 PM »
I haven't been able to listen to Life...a ton, but the last time it started to click...

I don't think I like it as much as The Stage, for now, although I do appreciate the boldness. In a way, I think of The Stage as their Faith No More-going-prog-metal album...meaning, pretty crazy and eclectic, but somehow managing to keep it all together nicely. The last one is more of their "Mr. Bungle", perhaps?  :biggrin: A little too over the place, maybe... and not everything works.

Gotta say, though, that it makes me want to go back to it, so they are doing something right...

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1193 on: June 08, 2023, 08:04:56 PM »
I’m not a giant fan, although I’ve really enjoyed some of their popular stuff, including Nightmare, but this album is a masterpiece. Wikipedia labels it as avant garde, among others, and I’m inclined to agree. It’s not necessarily an easy listen, but it will continue to get better with time. Album of the year so far
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1194 on: June 08, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »
Yes, I have also labeled this album as avant garde so totally agree with that. It is an album that gets better with each listen. It is hard to put a finger on why but once I finish it, I feel like listening to it all again.

So I am thinking this has to be because of how unconventional it actually is. It feels fresh and new which in today's music scene is very hard to achieve.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: June 09, 2023, 07:10:27 PM »
So, I'm not really into these guys at all.  I think I have Hail to the King and maybe Nightmare on CD somewhere.  They are fine but never a band that really ever grabbed me.  Anyway, I didn't listen to the last one so I actually thought Hail was their last album, jeez time flies.

Anyway, I decided to have a listen to the new one based on the comments here.  Needless to say after listening, I was very, very confused.  I thought I must have been listening to the wrong album.  To say I was taken by surprise is an understatement.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1196 on: June 09, 2023, 07:14:34 PM »
So, I'm not really into these guys at all.  I think I have Hail to the King and maybe Nightmare on CD somewhere.  They are fine but never a band that really ever grabbed me.  Anyway, I didn't listen to the last one so I actually thought Hail was their last album, jeez time flies.

Anyway, I decided to have a listen to the new one based on the comments here.  Needless to say after listening, I was very, very confused.  I thought I must have been listening to the wrong album. To say I was taken by surprise is an understatement.

I started listening to it as well, and this was my exact reaction.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: June 09, 2023, 07:20:28 PM »

Anyway, I decided to have a listen to the new one based on the comments here.  Needless to say after listening, I was very, very confused.  I thought I must have been listening to the wrong album. To say I was taken by surprise is an understatement.

I started listening to it as well, and this was my exact reaction.

haha, I wondered if you had a listen.

I'll listen to it again just out of curiosity and truth be told, there is some incredible guitar playing on here.  Never really followed Gates as a guitarist, but damn.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1198 on: June 09, 2023, 07:27:26 PM »

Anyway, I decided to have a listen to the new one based on the comments here.  Needless to say after listening, I was very, very confused.  I thought I must have been listening to the wrong album.  To say I was taken by surprise is an understatement.

Give it a few spins,  Kade. I was confused after my first go, and I'm a hardcore fan. Confusion is expected. 

The album is a masterpiece. Dig into the overall theme and concept of the album,  too. I find it helps to keep the album in context.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1199 on: June 09, 2023, 07:30:12 PM »

I'll listen to it again just out of curiosity and truth be told, there is some incredible guitar playing on here.  Never really followed Gates as a guitarist, but damn.

You're missing the fuck out. He's among the best playing these days.  Tons of players can shred. Gates brings such an eclectic blend of styles to his solos that they almost always sound fresh.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: June 09, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
Oh yeah, I've always known his name since the beginning and knew he was a quality player but everything I've sampled back in the day, perhaps just wasn't my thing at the time so I never really studied him and his work as a guitarist.  What I heard on this new one confirms your assessment though right away Rich.

Give it a few spins,  Kade. I was confused after my first go, and I'm a hardcore fan. Confusion is expected. 

The album is a masterpiece. Dig into the overall theme and concept of the album,  too. I find it helps to keep the album in context.

Was the last one like their old stuff and is this new one a complete departure?  Or did the last one have steps heading into this direction.  Seems it did based on some of the comments here?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: June 09, 2023, 07:33:55 PM »
Maybe I'll do a deep dive into these guys.

I'm gonna have a look now if I have anything on CD.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: June 09, 2023, 07:55:21 PM »
So, I'm not really into these guys at all. I think I have Hail to the King and maybe Nightmare on CD somewhere. They are fine but never a band that really ever grabbed me.  Anyway, I didn't listen to the last one so I actually thought Hail was their last album, jeez time flies.

Yet, I in fact have three of their albums on CD, City of Evil, Nightmare and Hail to the King.  :lol

I'll pop them in the car next week and run through them.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1203 on: June 09, 2023, 07:56:36 PM »
Gave Cosmic a listen since it was being talked about. That was great. I'll try to find time for the whole album tomorrow.

Also, I love singing and playing I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 on my keyboard. My favorite song of theirs.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1204 on: June 09, 2023, 08:14:17 PM »
Kade, the last album, The Stage, is sort of a bridge between the new record and their earlier catalog.  Not quite as out there as this one though

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: June 09, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
Kade, the last album, The Stage, is sort of a bridge between the new record and their earlier catalog.  Not quite as out there as this one though

Yeah sweet.  I'll start with those three albums I own and see what I think.  Don't remember anything from any of them to be honest.

The new one was so confusing it makes me want to listen to it again just based on that.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1206 on: June 10, 2023, 12:05:20 AM »
I LOVE that this album is bringing new fans in, as well as welcoming fans back who lost interest along the way (totally me). To say masterpiece this early on might be hyperbole, but I know this is currently my album of the year and I can’t stop spinning it.

It’s nice to see the buzz and divisiveness of the record is getting it the attention it deserves. I think an album that is getting praised as the greatest album of a decade as well labelled the worst thing they’ve ever recorded is great press. The point is they’re doing something exciting and fresh, which is more than I ever hoped from a band that has reached the popularity these guys have.

Kade, I think being in a state of confusion with this piece of art is pretty standard. It compels you though right. Their earlier albums have flashes of what they are doing on this record, even going back to their debut. It was just a lot less jarring and in your face.

You probably already know this but Nightmare is about the death of their drummer The Rev, and features Portnoy. City of Evil is generally considered their best album I’d say, and a top 25 album of all time for me I reckon. Lastly, Hail to the King is their calculated effort to become the next Metallica. It’s solid but don’t expect to hear anything you haven’t heard done before. Looking forward to your reactions  :corn

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1207 on: June 10, 2023, 01:06:42 AM »
The more I listen the more I enjoy the GOD trilogy. That's some fantastic music that I would've never expected to hear from them. I would love to see them play this live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1208 on: June 10, 2023, 01:10:17 AM »
They ended their set with the last 4 songs of the album last night apparently. I too would love to see them pull it off.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1209 on: June 10, 2023, 01:12:13 AM »
I see...

I think I'll buy a ticket now.  :metal

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1210 on: June 10, 2023, 03:47:04 AM »
Was the last one like their old stuff and is this new one a complete departure?  Or did the last one have steps heading into this direction.  Seems it did based on some of the comments here?

It did not evolve in steps, but their albums always had whacky and theatric moments. This time, they just suddenly increased the amount of it.

Definitely check out The Stage soon, it has some awesome guitar leads.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1211 on: June 10, 2023, 04:29:00 AM »
I see...

I’m pretty sure the only time I’ve seen the band live was at Download Festival in ‘06 (how the fuck is that 17 years ago?). They played the main stage in the afternoon, so only had a half hour set or something.

I’d actually consider getting tickets now if they play over here.

Edit: Just checked setlist.fm and this was their set back in ‘06 when I saw them…

Unholy Confessions
Beast and the Harlot
Burn It Down
To End the Rapture
Walk (Pantera cover)
Eternal Rest
Bat Country
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:47:14 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: June 10, 2023, 05:40:01 AM »
I LOVE that this album is bringing new fans in, as well as welcoming fans back who lost interest along the way (totally me). To say masterpiece this early on might be hyperbole, but I know this is currently my album of the year and I can’t stop spinning it.

It’s nice to see the buzz and divisiveness of the record is getting it the attention it deserves. I think an album that is getting praised as the greatest album of a decade as well labelled the worst thing they’ve ever recorded is great press. The point is they’re doing something exciting and fresh, which is more than I ever hoped from a band that has reached the popularity these guys have.

Kade, I think being in a state of confusion with this piece of art is pretty standard. It compels you though right. Their earlier albums have flashes of what they are doing on this record, even going back to their debut. It was just a lot less jarring and in your face.

You probably already know this but Nightmare is about the death of their drummer The Rev, and features Portnoy. City of Evil is generally considered their best album I’d say, and a top 25 album of all time for me I reckon. Lastly, Hail to the King is their calculated effort to become the next Metallica. It’s solid but don’t expect to hear anything you haven’t heard done before. Looking forward to your reactions  :corn

Cheers for the breakdown Luke.  Looking forward to City of Evil then based on your opinion.  I honestly don't think I've ever put the CD in my CD player.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1213 on: June 10, 2023, 05:59:57 AM »
I’m not 100% sure City of Evil will be your thing, but I love it.

It’s a weird thing; I know it’s massively important to me as I discovered them at a time I was exploring more metal bands, and discovered them along with other popular stuff at the time (Trivium, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, In Flames, Children of Bodom), however were I to hear the album for the first time now, I know it wouldn’t have the same impact.

That being said there is so much great lead work from Synester Gates as well as impressive drumming from The Rev (so much so that both made my top guitarist/drummer lists).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: June 10, 2023, 09:46:03 AM »
I see...

I’m pretty sure the only time I’ve seen the band live was at Download Festival in ‘06 (how the fuck is that 17 years ago?). They played the main stage in the afternoon, so only had a half hour set or something.

I’d actually consider getting tickets now if they play over here.

Edit: Just checked setlist.fm and this was their set back in ‘06 when I saw them…

Unholy Confessions
Beast and the Harlot
Burn It Down
To End the Rapture
Walk (Pantera cover)
Eternal Rest
Bat Country

Might be short, but that's an awesome set.  The setlist from last night looks solid.  Looking forward to seeing them in NYC in 2 weeks. I've only seen them once, opening for Metallica in 2017.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1215 on: June 10, 2023, 06:53:13 PM »
Loving the album except for the last piano instrumental.  A few of the songs have the same vibe as the songs on The Stage.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: June 11, 2023, 03:45:26 AM »
Finally listened to the album for a second time this morning. It's an instant masterpiece for me. And I'm not even a fan of theirs, really.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: June 11, 2023, 05:05:17 PM »

It’s a weird thing; I know it’s massively important to me as I discovered them at a time I was exploring more metal bands, and discovered them along with other popular stuff at the time (Trivium, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, In Flames, Children of Bodom), however were I to hear the album for the first time now, I know it wouldn’t have the same impact.

That being said there is so much great lead work from Synester Gates as well as impressive drumming from The Rev (so much so that both made my top guitarist/drummer lists).

So, I spun this album yesterday, well have a couple of songs to go, and I did that before seeing this post and listening to it this is EXACTLY what I was thinking.  Definitely strikes me as an album of the time which would be impactful upon discovering it at a certain time in your younger life, giving off those good memories and nostalgia these days though.

Saying that, I enjoyed it.  I think I know why I never caught onto these guys.  I certainly at that time was past what they were doing.  They have that somewhat pop/punk crossover vibe and for 2005 I was getting into different stuff.  I didn't check the first two albums either at the time.

Also, remembering back, I've always struggled with Shadows' vocals.  Definitely an acquired taste but I can deal with them here.  I guess I have no expectations so I did quite enjoy this album.  So nice leads and damn, the solo on......Seize the Day? maybe was amazing.  Some of the melodies while a little awkward and rooted more in the punk vibe I did find myself picking up and digging pretty quickly.  Can see me spinning it again.

I'll move on to Nightmare today.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1218 on: June 11, 2023, 06:28:50 PM »
Man, tickets for their show at the Forum last Friday was in the $100+ price range for a nosebleed seat on the resale market.  Doesn't help that this was their first headlining non-festival show of the tour which would make demand greater than if the LA show was in the middle of the tour.  I would have liked a ticket for this one.  They sure are committed in wanting to play a lot of songs on this album, which I appreciate.  I wish my favorite bands put more focus on their new stuff rather than play 3-4 songs a night from it in their own headlining shows of the album tour.  I guess I could drive 100 miles to the San Diego area in October to see them.  On a Saturday as well.  I will consider it.  Lawn seats seems reasonable.

Putting the GOD trilogy in the encore and put the title track as outro playback sounds like a pretty great and bold move to do.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 07:42:42 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1219 on: June 11, 2023, 06:30:33 PM »
Loving the album except for the last piano instrumental.

It’s a really nice piece though…

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1220 on: June 11, 2023, 07:18:51 PM »
I paid $160 cdn for my lower bowl ticket to their show in Edmonton this August. It's about what i expected.  I think the nosebleeds here were going for $100. Then again,  we only have 1.5m people in the area vs. whatever ridiculous number live in metro LA.  This show might sell out, but it's not a guarantee.  They're no T-Swift. Or whoever the fuck Luke Coombs is,   who sold out the 60,000 seat football stadium last weekend.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1221 on: June 12, 2023, 12:54:55 AM »

So, I spun this album yesterday, well have a couple of songs to go, and I did that before seeing this post and listening to it this is EXACTLY what I was thinking.  Definitely strikes me as an album of the time which would be impactful upon discovering it at a certain time in your younger life, giving off those good memories and nostalgia these days though.

Saying that, I enjoyed it.  I think I know why I never caught onto these guys.  I certainly at that time was past what they were doing.  They have that somewhat pop/punk crossover vibe and for 2005 I was getting into different stuff.  I didn't check the first two albums either at the time.

Also, remembering back, I've always struggled with Shadows' vocals.  Definitely an acquired taste but I can deal with them here.  I guess I have no expectations so I did quite enjoy this album.  So nice leads and damn, the solo on......Seize the Day? maybe was amazing.  Some of the melodies while a little awkward and rooted more in the punk vibe I did find myself picking up and digging pretty quickly.  Can see me spinning it again.

I'll move on to Nightmare today.

That’s about the best impression as I hoping from you dude, and I totally get where you are coming from. I’ve always been into punk rock, so that hardcore edge to their music has always appealed.

Back in 2005, I picked up City of Evil around the same time as Ascendancy by Trivium. These bands were kind of easy targets for elitist metal heads to write off, which always made me want to give them a chance and judge their music, not how they were embraced by the metal community. It was the same for My Chemical Romance, who I started listening to the year before. I loved these bands as they were breaking through but damn, a lot of my friends gave me shit for being a fan.

I can see why musically City of Evil would suck you in, but the vocals being a sticking point.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: June 12, 2023, 04:32:05 AM »
Ascendancy is a top 50 album for me.  That was direction of music I was getting into at that time so makes sense why I didn't really gravitate towards Avenged Sevenfold.

Got through a few songs on Nightmare today.  This is much more my thing.  How good is the title track?  Not sure why I didn't give this one a chance at least.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: June 12, 2023, 08:05:44 AM »
The drumming on Life is But A Dream is just incredible.  Listened to it a few more times over the weekend.  Really strong album, probably a contender for album of the year for me.  Not sure if it will be, but it's up there. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1224 on: June 12, 2023, 08:12:26 AM »
The drumming on Life is But A Dream is just incredible.  Listened to it a few more times over the weekend.  Really strong album, probably a contender for album of the year for me.  Not sure if it will be, but it's up there.

Currently listening to the drumming in the intro to Cosmic and it’s just so damn good. This is my album of the year right now, and will take some catching.