Author Topic: Codex Metallum  (Read 169 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Codex Metallum
« on: April 01, 2024, 02:11:56 AM »
So I got this book for Christmas, Codex Metallum: The Secret Art of Metal - the Hidden Meanings Behind Metal's Greatest Album Covers...

https://vancouverscape.com/heavy-metal-album-art-themes-deciphered-in-codex-metallum/

I was expecting it to be full of the most obvious and generic of heavy metal album covers (and there are many of the popular ones you'd expect), but it really delves deep and has lots of obscure artists. It's covers all sub genres of metal, as well as some stuff that is rock and proto-metal.

It could delve deeper into the meanings behind some of the artwork, but for what it is I've enjoyed leafing through it every now and again.

I have started compiling a playlist with all the albums featured in the book...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/06kvedX59lZpvwOFRwi1VL?si=m-WK-4aRT6mEMeGuSezQsw&pi=e-dWUTPVWRQxGd

I'm only about halfway through adding all the albums, and there are a number of albums that aren't on Spotify, so it is currently a 'work in progress'. I've only listened through the first 15 albums so far, and just within those 15 there was already 9 albums I'd not heard before, so the hit rate is pretty good.

I'd urge everyone to have a gander at the playlist as there is literally something for everyone, and some real gems.

I'll be posting updates in here as I get to certain albums, as there is some really cool shit. Lastly, if anyone is interested in picking up the book, I think it's like £8 on Amazon, so way cheaper than in the link above. The link above just gave a better overview of the book.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Codex Metallum
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 02:40:20 AM »
That looks super cool, I saved the playlist because I already saw a lot of stoner metal that should be right up my alley. Thanks!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 03:04:45 AM »
That looks super cool, I saved the playlist because I already saw a lot of stoner metal that should be right up my alley. Thanks!

Yes, definitely loads of good Stoner.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 04:02:16 AM »
OK, so the two albums from this playlist I listened to yesterday, that inspired this thread are Coven - Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls and Dissection - Reinkaos...

I was unaware of Coven but it appears their brand of occult rock predates Black Sabbath's debut. It is particularly cool because the final track is a 13 minute Satanic Mass :metal  I would be very surprised if Tobias Forge is not a fan. Really cool stuff.

Dissection I know, although I've only heard The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane. Reinkaos was more melodic than their previous releases, from what I remember, but I'm going to revisit those early albums today or tomorrow :metal