Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164575 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1155 on: June 05, 2023, 03:39:02 AM »
This fucking album man! Four listens down and I want to spin it again. It's looking likely to be my album of the year within about a week.

It’s gonna be close between this and Haken for me. It’s a great time to be a fan of progressive rock and metal.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1156 on: June 05, 2023, 03:57:49 AM »
This fucking album man! Four listens down and I want to spin it again. It's looking likely to be my album of the year within about a week.

It’s gonna be close between this and Haken for me. It’s a great time to be a fan of progressive rock and metal.

Haken hasn't really clicked for me. It's enjoyable but I don't feel the urge to revisit it, and I don't feel it reaches the highs of most of their previous work.

I think part of why I'm enjoying Life is But a Dream... so much is because it's such a surprise return to form (although unlike their previous form at all). Going into a record with low expectations can often be better than high expectations. I was feeling quietly confident this was going to be different the closer we got to the release date.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1157 on: June 05, 2023, 08:17:36 AM »
Listened to this again last night. Quite astonishing really the territory that's covered on this release. Each song is it's own unique story. I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall when the label execs heard this for the first time. I think this could be their best release.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1158 on: June 05, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
I don’t know if I enjoy listening to it but I’m halfway and this is some pretty wild stuff. They don’t care about accessibility at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1159 on: June 05, 2023, 09:30:58 AM »
I'm not the most massive fan of this band.  but i higghly enjoy this album.  it's a trainwreck but i almost liken it to something like Trout Mask Replica.  not that they are similar but this record is so off the wall but i still get massive pleasure from it.  and most folks i'm betting won't.

and that's fine.  but this album is a trip.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1160 on: June 05, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »
If you are a fan from "Waking the Fallen" up to "The Stage", I don't think this will be too much of a shock for you. 20% of their output has always been whacky, now they just bumped it to 80% for one record.

But maybe people who liked the mainstream singles but didn't care for the album's will find little to enjoy. The reaction on discord is very positive.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: June 05, 2023, 11:01:58 AM »
Listened to the album for the first time this afternoon and I have to say I came away rather impressed! Wasn't expecting that at all. Progressively, it's more interesting than about 98% of the material being put out by so-called progmetal bands.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1162 on: June 05, 2023, 01:10:23 PM »
Progressively, it's more interesting than about 98% of the material being put out by so-called progmetal bands.

This is how I feel. It feels genuinely progressive.

So I think I’m going to do a full discography play through tonight and tomorrow  :metal
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 01:17:05 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1163 on: June 05, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »
I haven't listened to this band since the album Portnoy did with them, but I've heard good things about the new album.  Good time to check them back out?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1164 on: June 05, 2023, 01:27:07 PM »
Yes and you should also check out the previous album, The Stage.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1165 on: June 05, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »
Kinda pleased at the reaction here honestly.

I'm going through their work album by album today and the new albums weirdness really isn't that much of a surprise.

it's more pronounced that's all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1166 on: June 05, 2023, 02:23:22 PM »
Yes and you should also check out the previous album, The Stage.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #1167 on: June 05, 2023, 05:52:19 PM »
Hot Damn! I haven't been sucked in by an album in a very long time. A7X has always been hit or miss for me. This is not a hit, this is a home run.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1168 on: June 05, 2023, 08:28:49 PM »
The album really gets going from Cosmos on for me. My favorite is the trilogy of G, (O)rdinary, and (D)eath.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1169 on: June 05, 2023, 08:36:35 PM »
Finally got around to giving this a spin today. I came away with kind of a bad taste in my mouth and didn't want to listen to it again. Typically I'll give brand new albums 2 spins in a row just to quickly familiarize myself with it, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the second listen and moved on to the new Fjoergyn album.

I'll try again next week.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1170 on: June 05, 2023, 08:54:57 PM »
Finally got around to giving this a spin today. I came away with kind of a bad taste in my mouth and didn't want to listen to it again. Typically I'll give brand new albums 2 spins in a row just to quickly familiarize myself with it, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the second listen and moved on to the new Fjoergyn album.

I'll try again next week.

I totally get that as I couldn't even get through the album the first time I tried. But I decided to try again and something eventually clicked. I think the fact it kind of defies expectation and is probably not what anyone would have expected does make it a potentially tough listen.

I now absolutely love it. Every song is its own mini tour de force of music styles. I have to give the band a ton of credit for this and as others have said above this really is progressive music.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1171 on: June 06, 2023, 03:26:52 AM »
The album really gets going from Cosmos on for me. My favorite is the trilogy of G, (O)rdinary, and (D)eath.

100% with you. The first few songs are ok, but it really gets good on the back half of the album. I don’t think the friends of mine who are trashing the album ever got to Cosmic to be honest. I’ve been lurking on Reddit and Facebook and this release is really dividing the fan base to the extreme. Seems to be heralded as the second coming, or the worst thing they’ve ever released  :rollin

I’m taking that as a good sign.

On my whole discography run through and I really do like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet as a debut. It will definitely beat Hail in my rankings, if nothing else. The rest of the catalogue is just stronger, but it is a good foreshadowing of what is to come. Onto Waking the Fallen next  :metal I love the damn riffs on this album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: June 06, 2023, 09:30:35 AM »
Progressively, it's more interesting than about 98% of the material being put out by so-called progmetal bands.

This is how I feel. It feels genuinely progressive.

Yeah, I can agree with this too.

I haven't listened to this band since the album Portnoy did with them, but I've heard good things about the new album.  Good time to check them back out?

Sure why not?  Just know it's a bit of a wild ride. And if you do like it, I would also agree with me7 to check out The Stage which is also fairly progressive but nothing quite like this album.  But that album was definitely the bridge between the new album and what you've likely previously heard from the band.

100% with you. The first few songs are ok, but it really gets good on the back half of the album. I don’t think the friends of mine who are trashing the album ever got to Cosmic to be honest. I’ve been lurking on Reddit and Facebook and this release is really dividing the fan base to the extreme. Seems to be heralded as the second coming, or the worst thing they’ve ever released  :rollin

I’m taking that as a good sign.

On my whole discography run through and I really do like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet as a debut. It will definitely beat Hail in my rankings, if nothing else. The rest of the catalogue is just stronger, but it is a good foreshadowing of what is to come. Onto Waking the Fallen next  :metal I love the damn riffs on this album.

I really like Mattel so I can't truly agree with the album starting at Cosmos, but Cosmos on is definitely the meat of the album and the highlights for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1173 on: June 06, 2023, 09:32:36 AM »
You guys do know it’s Cosmic, not Cosmos, right? You’ve had me double checking that a few times now  :lol

Currently up to Hail to the King on my full discography play through. You know, it’s not quite as terrible as I remember, and enjoyable enough, it just doesn’t reaches the highs of literally every other album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1174 on: June 06, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »
Cosmic is indeed a great song.

After a good few listens of the album, I've come around to liking it but not loving it. I like that they experimented, and in a way it's maybe a feature of being used to varied music that I don't even think the experimentation is particularly wacky or out there, although I accept it's much more so than their past work. I think there are four really strong songs on here (Nobody, Cosmic, Easier and (O)rdinary). The rest is mostly fine and there are some cool ideas here and there, but most of it I just don't think is executed well enough and I'm definitely not a fan of the mix which feels week and contributes to the album sounding messy.

If this is a new direction for the band then that's exciting, I just hope they do a more accomplished job of it next time. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1175 on: June 06, 2023, 09:43:25 AM »
Currently up to Hail to the King on my full discography play through. You know, it’s not quite as terrible as I remember, and enjoyable enough, it just doesn’t reaches the highs of literally every other album.
Yeah it's a decent album and has a few really good songs, it's just too samey and relentlessly mid-tempo so as an album it gets quite boring.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: June 06, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
You guys do know it’s Cosmic, not Cosmos, right? You’ve had me double checking that a few times now  :lol

:lol I definitely get lost in the cosmos some times when posting song titles (I was calling 1985 by Haken 1984 for awhile)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1177 on: June 06, 2023, 11:05:31 AM »
I finished my listren through.

Rankings if anyone's interested.

1. City of Evil (just Perfect
2. Life is but A Dream......(I know it's early but i've had a dozen or so plays.  I love it that damn much!)
3. The Stage. (pure Over the top fun)
4. Avenged Sevenfold
5. Wake the Fallen
6. Nightmare (i'd say this is really very good but the most overrated)
7. Hail to the King )at it's best a cute tribute album to bands of the past At worst.....bland
8 Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (typical debut of the times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1178 on: June 06, 2023, 11:25:53 AM »

:facepalm:  :rollin

I'll just place blame on autocorrect putting it in as Cosmos.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1179 on: June 06, 2023, 05:09:13 PM »
I finished my listren through.

Rankings if anyone's interested.

1. City of Evil (just Perfect
2. Life is but A Dream......(I know it's early but i've had a dozen or so plays.  I love it that damn much!)
3. The Stage. (pure Over the top fun)
4. Avenged Sevenfold
5. Wake the Fallen
6. Nightmare (i'd say this is really very good but the most overrated)
7. Hail to the King )at it's best a cute tribute album to bands of the past At worst.....bland
8 Sounding the Seventh Trumpet (typical debut of the times)

Also finishing up a listen through of everything and my overall ranking isn’t far off yours…

1. City of Evil
2. Life is But a Dream…
3. Avenged Sevenfold
4. The Stage
5. Waking the Fallen
6. Nightmare
7. Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet
8. Hail to the King

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1180 on: June 06, 2023, 07:27:02 PM »
Yeah.... y'all have The Stage ranked too high,  and Nightmare too low.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1181 on: June 06, 2023, 07:32:27 PM »
Also, it sounds like Beautiful Morning has a nod to Alice in Chain's Them Bones...certainly A7Xified, but it made my ears perk up  :)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1182 on: June 06, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »
Also, it sounds like Beautiful Morning has a nod to Alice in Chain's Them Bones...certainly A7Xified, but it made my ears perk up  :)

Yes Nick agree with that. The start has a very AIC vibe and then it morphs into something else entirely. I really love that song, one of my favourites on the album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1183 on: June 07, 2023, 05:04:46 AM »
Someone mentioned this album and called it 'unhinged' which intrigued me.

Now aside from some of their relative hit songs, I don't know a lot about this band so it was easy to go into this without prejudice and I loved it. Crazy stuff, I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish at times, this sort of whacky nonsense is right up my alley!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: June 07, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »

But City of Evil is at the top and that's what I agree with

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1185 on: June 07, 2023, 08:26:48 AM »

I honestly feel nightmare while really good is a tad overhyped that's all.

and come on the stage (which i'm actually playing now) kicks ass.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1186 on: June 07, 2023, 08:37:14 AM »

But City of Evil is at the top and that's what I agree with

Such a groundbreaking and important album for me. 2005 was the year I started really exploring metal and discovering a ton of my favourite bands.

I honestly feel nightmare while really good is a tad overhyped that's all.

and come on the stage (which i'm actually playing now) kicks ass.

Yea, I actually really like Nightmare. It struck me on my play through that they have a pretty strong catalogue. City of Evil is significantly better than everything else, but the rest of the albums are actually pretty close.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1187 on: June 07, 2023, 08:47:13 AM »
I wasn't really into Nightmare until my little musical ensemble decided to cover the album cover to cover.  Learning all the songs gave me a new appreciation for the record.

I don't think anyone questions City of Evil being at the top of their discog. Just a fantastic album. Seize the Day is the low point on the album for me, and it's still a quality track.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1188 on: June 08, 2023, 10:12:20 AM »
Cosmic is my song of the year right now. It hits so hard, and has a bit of everything that I look for in music  :heart

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: June 08, 2023, 10:16:19 AM »
Cosmic is my song of the year right now. It hits so hard, and has a bit of everything that I look for in music  :heart

Saw an interview clip on tiktok where M SHadows was asked if they will play this song.  He said yes, but not likely on the first run of dates.  He said he already noticed this song is getting huge fan attention and they've already practiced and played it.  I'm seeing them in 2 weeks in NYC, hoping by first run of dates he meant the shows that already happened.