Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 163792 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1120 on: May 25, 2023, 09:47:10 AM »
You know what, I'm really digging these new singles. They go in an unexpected direction, and at this point in a bands career, it's always great to hear.

It won't appeal to everyone, but it appeals to me. I'm hoping they keep you guessing on this album.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1121 on: May 31, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »
This the Avenged album that should have featured Portnoy  :D

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1122 on: June 01, 2023, 09:59:29 AM »
Aw cool Avenged Sevenfold is Pinkly Smooth now.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1123 on: June 01, 2023, 02:38:41 PM »
hype.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: June 01, 2023, 02:42:21 PM »
Forgot it comes out tomorrow, looking forward to checking it out, but a bit iffy going into the first listen

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1125 on: June 02, 2023, 02:02:28 AM »
I can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited about a new Avenged Sevenfold release. The singles have grown on me a bit, and most importantly the album looks like it will surprise the listener and keep them guessing.

I couldn't ask for anymore from the band at this point. Starting first listen now.

Edit:
This the Avenged album that should have featured Portnoy  :D

This  :lol

Just go to the little breakdown in the middle of Cosmic. Sounds like it's straight off Scenes from a Memory!

Double edit: OK, a lot to digest here but I liked it. It goes from frenetic to chill, spans multiple genres and sounds from the last 70 years and keeps you guessing. The final 4 songs were unexpected but I really enjoyed it.

Will give it a second spin later.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 03:17:36 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1126 on: June 02, 2023, 06:09:20 AM »
Started my first listen....

Halfway through the first song  :eek

Edit: Done with my first listen. There is a lot to digest here. Some parts I loved, others not so much. I think this album will grow on me though  :tup
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 07:02:37 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1127 on: June 02, 2023, 06:21:11 AM »
I don't listen to much Avenged (like some early stuff, dug the album Portnoy played on) but I gave the new album a spin and it is absolutely bonkers...in a good way. Really excited to give it a re-listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1128 on: June 02, 2023, 07:11:25 AM »
Started my first listen....

Halfway through the first song  :eek

Edit: Done with my first listen. There is a lot to digest here. Some parts I loved, others not so much. I think this album will grow on me though  :tup

I read this as you only made it through half a song.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:22 AM »
 :lol I should've been clearer I meant the album, not just the first song.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1130 on: June 02, 2023, 08:30:27 AM »
On my third listen, I'm already hooked by the album, easily one of the best of this year. It IS experimental and clearly a departure from the last album, but you can still recognize the A7X from Nightmare and Stage on it. It has a lot of heavy moments, but it's not properly a metal album IMO and that really differs from all their discography. The only relative flaw is the last song, which is instrumental, with only piano and orchestra, that I think (as I always do with all the bands that do that approach - indeed a "me" problem) it would better including all the band in the arrangements.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: June 02, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »
On my third listen, I'm already hooked by the album, easily one of the best of this year. It IS experimental and clearly a departure from the last album, but you can still recognize the A7X from Nightmare and Stage on it. It has a lot of heavy moments, but it's not properly a metal album IMO and that really differs from all their discography. The only relative flaw is the last song, which is instrumental, with only piano and orchestra, that I think (as I always do with all the bands that do that approach - indeed a "me" problem) it would better including all the band in the arrangements.
Yeah, that threw me off. I don't mind the piano conclusion to the album, but it felt overly long and that it should've been part of the previous song, instead of its own thing (And that's coming from someone who regularly listens to solo piano stuff).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1132 on: June 02, 2023, 09:19:46 AM »
Finished my first spin of the record. It's definitely a departure from their typical sound, but also a clear progression from The Stage. I agree that it's not exactly a 'metal' album, but the arrangement works in the context of it being a loose concept album about the meaning (or meaninglessness) of life. After one listen I'm gravitating towards Cosmic as my favorite track.

I enjoyed the album, and plan to listen again shortly. The only issue I have is the lack of standout tracks. I can't see myself adding any of the songs to my regular playlists for riding or working out. Seems more like an album meant to be listened to in its entirety while working or driving.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1133 on: June 02, 2023, 09:20:45 AM »
My initial response to the album after a few listen is, "Huh?" I'm guessing that's due to being so used to their previous metal sound. I'll have to give it another shot without those and maybe it'll land better.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1134 on: June 02, 2023, 09:29:07 AM »
Getting towards the end of my first listen, and not sure what to think yet. Album is kind of all over the place. Which isn't itself a problem (indeed, in principle it should be exciting) and I never have an issue with a change in style, but I dunno - from one listen anyway it feels like there's a real lack of good melodic hooks, and the production sounds weirdly thin as well.

EDIT: Ok so (O)rdinary is awesome, best song so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: June 02, 2023, 09:55:41 AM »

:lol first listen and this song just came on and I'm totally digging it.

SO far, this album is pretty good but it seems it's more of an album that needs to be listened to as a whole, even the singles, as it works better that way.  I need many more listens.  I expected something a bit radical and we got it, I'm just shocked I like it this much on first listen. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1136 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:43 AM »
Getting towards the end of my first listen, and not sure what to think yet. Album is kind of all over the place. Which isn't itself a problem (indeed, in principle it should be exciting) and I never have an issue with a change in style, but I dunno - from one listen anyway it feels like there's a real lack of good melodic hooks, and the production sounds weirdly thin as well.

That captures it perfectly! I like my metal to have a hook or some element of catchy melody, and this album doesn't have any of that. It'll be interesting to see which of the new tracks makes it into the setlist for their upcoming tour.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1137 on: June 02, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »
So far I’m enjoying this more than any of their past albums.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1138 on: June 02, 2023, 11:37:15 AM »
Hearing classic A7X moments every now and then is "hook" enough for me. Can't say if this can become my new default A7X album or if it will remain for when I'm in a specific mood since it's a bit too weird. But I for now, I enjoy it immensely.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1139 on: June 02, 2023, 11:38:48 AM »
Yeah I’m just 3 songs into it but I hear plenty of hooks…

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: June 02, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
The drumming at the end of Cosmic  :metal that song is another standout track for me

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1141 on: June 02, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
I'm on my second listen now. Two tracks in, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. Love the synths on Mattel, and the screaming Shadows does. Great track. Game Over has some System of a Down vibes to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: June 02, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
When Mattel started, I thought they were playing I Was Made For Loving You.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1143 on: June 02, 2023, 06:04:49 PM »
The drumming at the end of Cosmic  :metal that song is another standout track for me

Probably the highlight for me, but the album really gets good from then on.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1144 on: June 03, 2023, 03:19:25 AM »
Listened last night. It felt like I was listening to something profound and yet I wasn't sure if I loved it or not. So much experimentation-in every aspect, from effects to genres. They really shook things up and I respect that.

My takeaway from the album is a sense of sadness and even grief that it seems they are struggling with and it comes through in the music.

I'll give it more spins for sure.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1145 on: June 03, 2023, 03:42:56 AM »
Listened last night. It felt like I was listening to something profound and yet I wasn't sure if I loved it or not. So much experimentation-in every aspect, from effects to genres. They really shook things up and I respect that.
It's such a pleasant surprise. I LOVE the fact they've shaken it all up on this record. Ultimately, that's what I love to see int favourite artists. Just following your muse, regardless of whether or not it brings you any sort of success.

This is gonna divide fans, but I would rather this than another Hail to the King any day. I was talking to friends yesterday about how impressed I was with the direction this album has gone, and that it could be an AOTY contender. A few friends dug it, the rest were like "are we listening to the same album?"  :rollin

I love all the different genres we've got in her, it's all a mixing pot, yet still sounds like the band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: June 03, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
My takeaway from the album is a sense of sadness and even grief that it seems they are struggling with and it comes through in the music.

I felt a bit of this myself. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1147 on: June 03, 2023, 11:49:03 AM »
Okay this album is a masterpiece.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1148 on: June 03, 2023, 02:03:48 PM »

That's how i feel about it,  too. My friend,  and fellow A7X fanboy, vehemently disagrees.  He ranks it tied with Sounding the Seventh Trumpet....i.e. at the bottom of the discography.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1149 on: June 03, 2023, 03:24:29 PM »

That's how i feel about it,  too. My friend,  and fellow A7X fanboy, vehemently disagrees.  He ranks it tied with Sounding the Seventh Trumpet....i.e. at the bottom of the discography.
No way, it's definitely more interesting than their first two albums, and Hail to the King.

But man the mix is awful. I wonder if I'd be liking it more if it didn't sound so rubbish. Was it a deliberate sonic choice? Just can't get my head around what they'd have been going for if so. I'm still not sold on the music itself, which is really frustrating because I'm a big fan of 1. the band, 2. experimentation, and 3. exploring and mixing up a range of genres and styles, so this album should have been absolutely my kind of thing. But I find it hard to tell whether I'd have liked it all a lot more if it sounded better. Like, in Mattel when it goes from show tune stylings to suddenly kicking in with riffs and screams, that should have made me lose my shit but it sounds so thin and weak it just has no impact and sounds messy.

I like the band and want to try and get my head round this album so I'll definitely give it a good few listens (which will take a bit of time as I'm massively prioritising my roulette currently), but right now I just don't get it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1150 on: June 03, 2023, 04:57:56 PM »
I don't have an issue with the production.  I'm not exactly a recording affectionado either though,  so it's got to be pretty bad for me to even notice. Sounds great and well mixed through my over ear headphones

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1151 on: June 03, 2023, 05:36:52 PM »
I think the production is great.

I really struggled with this at first but I’m coming around to really liking it. Need a few more listens first.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1152 on: June 04, 2023, 07:58:08 AM »
My only criticism about the production is the thin drum sound, which is identical to The Stage. But it's a band's choice, I saw an interview with M. Shadows talking about that - it's the type of organic drum sound that they like.
But the album is truly amazing. It's weird and unexpected in places, but the only song I think you can argue is a bit disjointed is We Love You, but personally I also think it's a great one.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1153 on: June 04, 2023, 04:24:14 PM »
This fucking album man! Four listens down and I want to spin it again. It's looking likely to be my album of the year within about a week.

It's honestly such a nice surprise and took some real balls to release this. City of Evil has always been my favourite A7X album, and my interest in the band slowly dwindled with each release, reaching an all time low when Hail to the King came out. I did like The Stage, and they redeemed themselves somewhat, in my eyes.

But holy shit, this new record has me genuinely excited. What a time to be a fan of the band. I'm hoping it's not recency bias, and am fairly confident it's not.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:37:58 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1154 on: June 04, 2023, 05:56:52 PM »
After getting completely lost in this album the last could of days, I may have to revisit The Stage.

This new album is really something else, it is kind of hard for me to even work out why I like it so much, every song basically goes on its own musical journey.