Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164617 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2023, 01:24:36 PM »
I'm planning on going to the MSG show. Probably won't get to listen to the song till tomorrow since I'm in transit today

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2023, 03:32:17 PM »
It's a fascinating song.

The strings seem to be the backbone of the song. The intro and first verse sounds sort of empty, like something is missing. This ends up giving the song an eerie, dreadful sort of tone and atmosphere. The video really describes that sound, with the colors, the skeletons, and how it's made.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
I thought the new single was bad. Whatever the click / programmed noise in the background drove me absolutely crazy. Shadows also sounds pretty rough.

The guitar solo was cool but overall I am not optimistic after hearing this. And I enjoyed Hail to the King and The Stage.

I think that's just Brooks' hand work, and not programmed. Still a touch annoying, whatever it is. We'll need to see a live performance to know for sure.

Definitely agree about Shadows' voice. I'm wondering if this is just the new normal for him post-surgery. If so, that's unfortunate.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1088 on: March 14, 2023, 05:05:20 PM »
It sounded very messy on first listen, a touch annoying and uninspired in the beginning, even. Even so, I’m already on my fifth listen. It’s a fascinating track. Love the harmony vocal break in the middle.

M Shadows sounds a bit different indeed, but I dig the weathered vocal in this track. I also appreciate they didn’t try to make it sound more polished with FX and auto-tune. It sounds like it could be one single take without edits.

Exquisite guitar solo to top it off after the song’s climax. Overall, I’m intrigued. It’s creative stuff and I’m keeping an ear out to see what they’ve come up with.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline emtee

« Reply #1089 on: March 15, 2023, 10:50:54 AM »
Certainly is different for them and I'm cool with that. Don't immediately love it but have a feeling that within the context of the full album it might fit nicely.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1090 on: March 15, 2023, 11:08:21 AM »
Certainly is different for them and I'm cool with that. Don't immediately love it but have a feeling that within the context of the full album it might fit nicely.

That is my hope as well. The speculation on Matt's voice could be as SchecterShredder mentioned (post-surgery realities) or many online have speculated he is singing to fit the song. We will see.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1091 on: March 15, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
I've listened to the track a good 6 or 7 times now. There's absolutely no evidence Vengeance is playing, aside from the rhythm behind the chorus (post chorus?) sweeps Syn does. The section behind the solo is violin tremolo which could be played on guitar, but it doesn't sound recorded that way.  I sure hope this track is an outlier. And as previously posted,  it might fit well with the rest of the album,  but we won't know until June 2.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: March 15, 2023, 01:29:23 PM »
First listen.... yeah this is different.  The "clicking" is a bit much, but the song is pretty solid otherwise.  Curious if this is how Shadows is going to sound going forward or if it's just this song.  It definitely sounds like him, just like without the raspiness.  I don't hate it, but it's something I'll need to get used to.  I wonder how that'll make the past songs sound if this is just how his voice sounds now.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1093 on: March 15, 2023, 01:33:21 PM »
I quite like like this song. Their sound is maturing, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I agree that Shadows voice sounds a bit worse for wear though, unfortunately.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1094 on: March 16, 2023, 08:35:30 AM »
New tune rocks  :tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1095 on: March 16, 2023, 04:31:06 PM »
I’m not a big fan of the new song, which is a shame because Avenged Sevenfold is one of my all time favorite bands and I loved The Stage.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1096 on: March 16, 2023, 10:04:48 PM »
That "clicking" you guys are hearing is definitely just a really tight hi-hat groove. It's also definitely mixed too high.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1097 on: March 29, 2023, 06:13:40 PM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1098 on: March 30, 2023, 12:23:35 PM »
Cool interview, thanks!
I'm glad to hear that the new album is  more in the A7X's prog camp and there's a lot of diversity on it. I liked the new song a lot!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1099 on: May 12, 2023, 06:05:10 AM »
Well, the new track, We Love You, is something.... different lol. Not sure how i feel about it yet. It's all over the place.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: May 12, 2023, 06:39:52 AM »
What on earth have I just sat through?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1101 on: May 12, 2023, 08:18:59 AM »
Well, the new track, We Love You, is something.... different lol. Not sure how i feel about it yet. It's all over the place.

There's so much going on, I'm gonna give it a few more tries after I rest a bit from that first spin  :rollin

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1102 on: May 12, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
What on earth have I just sat through?

In the good sense like seeing for the first time the video for A Little Piece of Heaven, or in a bad sense?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1103 on: May 12, 2023, 08:21:00 AM »
The music is a bit, strange but not bad. The 360 video was cool though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: May 12, 2023, 08:21:54 AM »
Well, that was a journey  :lol I don't hate it, but it's a bit much on first listen.  This album truly is shaping to be something very different.  Also, the vocals are once again a bit different and since there are screams, maybe our reaction to the first single was wrong to think he's lost the voice?  I don't know.  I'm VERY curious to check out this full album, but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not.  I'm almost getting Devin Townsend type vibes from these two songs, where it's just all over the place and diverse.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1105 on: May 12, 2023, 09:21:09 AM »
I get the Devin Townsend vibe too.
I haven’t listened to these guys in years, mainly because I can’t stand Shadows’ voice. This new song wasn’t terrible I guess? Definitely has me interested in the new album, but I wouldn’t say I’m excited.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1106 on: May 12, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
They are definitely leaning in on the progressive side (it felt very progressive metal for a bit there). There was that uptempo section that felt almost like a nod to Slipknot? I don't know about it. I applaud them for trying something different and going all-in but I just don't know if I like it. And that's OK.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: May 12, 2023, 09:35:56 AM »
They are definitely leaning in on the progressive side (it felt very progressive metal for a bit there). There was that uptempo section that felt almost like a nod to Slipknot? I don't know about it. I applaud them for trying something different and going all-in but I just don't know if I like it. And that's OK.

I thought that section was more of a nod to their first album

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1108 on: May 12, 2023, 09:37:04 AM »
This will be my favorite album of the decade (so far) if the rest of it is as good as the 2 songs released.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1109 on: May 12, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
Gonna take a few listens to determine whether I love it or hate it. Not a lot of melody to latch onto. Just craziness.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1110 on: May 13, 2023, 11:22:06 AM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: May 14, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
I'll check the song out when it's officially released, but the setlist.fm notes more songs played during sound check.  I guess that's a taste of what's to come next month when I see them.

Funny enough, I've only seen them once before, 6 years ago today... also on Mother's Day and M Shadows sang "Hail to the Queen"  :metal https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1657870098151899139

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1112 on: May 14, 2023, 07:21:52 PM »
I'll check the song out when it's officially released, but the setlist.fm notes more songs played during sound check.  I guess that's a taste of what's to come next month when I see them.

Funny enough, I've only seen them once before, 6 years ago today... also on Mother's Day and M Shadows sang "Hail to the Queen"  :metal https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1657870098151899139

I gave the video about 10sec, and decided to wait on it,  too. The quality just wasn't there.

I did watch some of Unholy Confessions and Afterlife. Pretty solid, despite the poor video quality

Offline emtee

« Reply #1113 on: May 15, 2023, 11:23:11 AM »
Listened to the new song twice on Sunday. Not working for me. I give them props for doing what they want though.

Also, pre-order info popped up in my Amazon feed with a photo that appears to be the album cover. The cover follows suit with the strangeness of the 2 new songs. Looks like they're really trying to break new ground.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1114 on: May 15, 2023, 12:25:21 PM »
Two singles out and I can’t say I have high hopes for this upcoming album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1115 on: May 15, 2023, 12:42:12 PM »
The more i listen to them,  the more the new singles fit together.  And i can hear some of the sonic similarities to the Stage album. The new album is shaping up to be another step in the same direction, but clearly more bold. Shadows has said he believes a band's sound needs to evolve, otherwise it's just the same record as every other. This is definitely an evolution.

What's interesting is that i can appreciate these 2 songs as quite different from their other material, and i have different expectations for Life is but a Dream as a result. I think the surprise release of The Stage hurt them in terms of fan expectation because nobody knew what was coming,  so i was expecting a cross of Hail to the King and Nightmare. Instead we got an inconsistent album that,  for me anyway, gets no play outside of the song The Stage (which still gets regular rotation...fantastic track!).

Don't know if I'll like the new album,  but I'll definitely give it a fair shake knowing it's not going to sound like City of Evil

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1116 on: May 15, 2023, 12:46:32 PM »
I didnt love "we love you"    I can appreciate the band wanting to try new things and new sounds and growing.  maybe it will grow on me but first listen was kinda difficult although very unique
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1117 on: May 15, 2023, 01:49:47 PM »
What I find interesting about "We Love You" is the arrangement. I am enjoying the "more" verses a lot. The song also makes a lot more sense now after I watched the video. Which makes me realize these guys are going the extra mile in the experimentation. I thought it was neat. I think it'll be an amazing song live, being able to feel all the lower frequencies during those parts.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1118 on: May 16, 2023, 12:36:38 AM »
"We love you" by itslef doesn't work for me. But I'm very excited to hear the Avenged Sevenfold album that it's part of. Maybe that was the intention behind the single choice?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1119 on: May 17, 2023, 07:03:32 AM »
It's always tough to gauge fan reactions but many of those who heard the album in full said it's really, really good. I don't know. I'm in the camp where I have mad respect for them really breaking out and trying something different (evolving as they say) but I also feel that a lot of what I heard is garbage. So maybe the whole album will be much better than individual songs.

There was speculation that Shadow's voice was gone but those live clips don't seem to support that, so that is good news. Never want that to happen to a singer or someone who relies on their voice for their career.