Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 97161 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #525 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
I still prefer the original mix of ATTWS. The drums are nice and loud.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #526 on: October 09, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the version of And Then There Was Silence that I've heard IS the remix (at least, it's marked "Remastered 2017") on Spotify. And I definitely find it inferior to the Memories of a Time to Come version.

I also listened to the Live Beyond the Spheres version, which I feel has the opposite problem from the album version: too much band, too little symphonic stuff.

That balance of both components is really important to me in symphonic metal, and I'm surprised at how often I hear releases that are off the mark (e.g., Showtime, Storytime from Nightwish, though a very good live album, has the symphonic elements too low in the mix).

The one on Spotify/Deezer isn't the remix. It is the 2017 remaster from around the time Nuclear Blast obtained the rights to the albums. I just checked and it is the original mix for sure. I honestly don't know why they went with the 2017 rereleases, only to do proper ones the year after, but oh well (I think it is probably a rights kind of thing, and they wanted them asap on streaming platforms again for obvious reasons). It is confusing and honestly I doubt the 2017 remasters are actually different from the 2007 remasters.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #527 on: October 09, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »
Mine is a 2017 Remaster.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #528 on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
The one on Spotify/Deezer isn't the remix. It is the 2017 remaster from around the time Nuclear Blast obtained the rights to the albums. I just checked and it is the original mix for sure. I honestly don't know why they went with the 2017 rereleases, only to do proper ones the year after, but oh well (I think it is probably a rights kind of thing, and they wanted them asap on streaming platforms again for obvious reasons). It is confusing and honestly I doubt the 2017 remasters are actually different from the 2007 remasters.

Okay, this is very good to know, thank you very much! :tup

In that case, I will wait optimistically for the proper remix before shelling out for ANATO.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #529 on: October 09, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »
Just to confuse matters even more, the 2017 NB re-issues state on the CD artwork (NIME) that they are 2007 remasters.
So far in the instance of NIME, there are, the original, Travellers Guide 2012 remix/remaster and the the 2017 NB issue of the 2007 remaster?
Plus the remix/remaster coming out at the end of November, which is the same as the TG box?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #530 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
Here you can compare the mixes:

2017 remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOFCfsIn_8
2012 remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2Z38zVlQE

Obviously the same recording, but I think the remix has a clearer quality to it, with the seperate layers/intruments having a more defined sound. For example, at the end at 5:18, when two melodies are playing at the same time, in the remix the secondary melody is much more defined, whereas in the original it sounds more muffled into the back. 3:55 is another moment where the guitar melodies are buried in the original compared to the remix. I can hear all the melodies in the original, but in the remix I can appreciate how it is played, if that makes sense.  With an album that has so many layers with distinct melodies all at once, I think the remix helps quite a bit. That said, Battlefield is one of the songs I always thought worked well with the sheer bombast of the original mix. Other songs suffer more under the sound production.

(my laptop has shit audio quality even with headphones, but I assume the links both are decent quality uploads).

Just to confuse matters even more, the 2017 NB re-issues state on the CD artwork (NIME) that they are 2007 remasters.
So far in the instance of NIME, there are, the original, Travellers Guide 2012 remix/remaster and the the 2017 NB issue of the 2007 remaster?
Plus the remix/remaster coming out at the end of November, which is the same as the TG box?

As per the Nuclear Blast webshop, for the upcoming rerelease, it is the original, non-remastered version plus the 2012 remix on CD. Vinyl will only feature the remix. Same applies to the other albums, except for the recent rereleases of Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind, which have completely new remixes (those were only remastered in the Traveler's box set).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:31:56 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
I've been giving the Imaginations remix a chance, and although I love the boosted lead guitar in the title track, the drums are just too low now. Especially the snare. Sometimes you can't even hear it, except for a roll. Bright Eyes is a good example of how low the drums are. I don't need them overpowering the other instruments, but I'd like to hear them ffs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #532 on: October 12, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
Good, so it's not just me. I'm moving on to A Twist In The Myth. After 3 or 4 listens, I like the songs on Opera a lot. I ordered Live yesterday so I look forward in hearing the Opera tunes on that. But I will definitely have to come back to this.

You'll enjoy Live, It's got a great tracklist. Mirror Mirror, Valhalla, The Bards Song, and Lost In The Twilight Hall I knew from videos on Youtube, so I bought it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: October 12, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »
So what's the deal with Fly and Dead Sound Of Misery having the same intro? Is there a story behind it?

Seems like it's the same music. Has the same outro.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:59:52 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #534 on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
DSOM is quite literally an alternate version of Fly, both musically and thematically. Fly is about about inspiration and imagination (it's influenced by Peter Pan and Neverending Story, by Hansi's own admission), DSOM is a darker take on it about despair and the Whore of Babylon etc. I don't like DSOM much but Fly kicks butt.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: October 12, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
DSOM is quite literally an alternate version of Fly, both musically and thematically. Fly is about about inspiration and imagination (it's influenced by Peter Pan and Neverending Story, by Hansi's own admission), DSOM is a darker take on it about despair and the Whore of Babylon etc. I don't like DSOM much but Fly kicks butt.

Thanks, I actually just read that on Wikipedia.

I think Fly is awesome. I mean, they both are. :lol

I like Twist In The Myth a lot. It seems more of a collection of songs, rather than following a plot. I feel like it's a bit free-er because of it. What I like about it, is that you can sense some change musically, but they never give back any aggression or speed.

I have two more BG albums after this. It's been an amazing journey so far. But God damn, my ears are tired. :lol So much to dissect on these albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
There are some fantastic literary references on the next album and I mean that in both senses of the word. Lots of great fantasy literature references as well as, of course, myth and legend. Two songs about The Wheel of Time, one of my favorite fantasy series, and two from A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).

And one that was written for a video game, which is epic as f%&$.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #537 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
I'm gonna tell you right now that all of that will be totally lost on me. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »
Believe me, I've become familiar enough with this place to already know :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #539 on: October 13, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »
Got my first listen in to At The Edge Of Time.

Another excellent album.

Bookend symphonic pieces, bit I must say Sacred Worlds is awesome. Wheel Of Time, not so much. Too much symphony and I do not like Middle Eastern influence. I love the real aggressive vocals in the last third of Sacred Worlds.

Favorite tunes are Tanelorn, Control The Divine, Vakyries, and A Voice In The Dark (which smokes).

I like, how even though Blind Guardian continues to evolve, they never turn their back on their speed metal roots.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: October 14, 2018, 04:44:28 AM »
I really lost touch with BG with the last two albums, even Twist.  I thought they have all been bland, and very average.  ANATO is their last real creative brillilant piece of work IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #541 on: October 14, 2018, 06:27:58 AM »
So after just one listen to At The Edge Of Time, I moved onto Beyond The Red Mirror last night. It's not that I didn't like Edge, but with just one Mirror left on my BG journey, my ears are jonesing for a break.

I can see why Kade thought these albums are bland, but to me Blind Guardian's music can be so busy and dense, sometimes less can be more.

I was thinking Mirror was probably my least favorite of the 10 BG albums. Not saying I didn't like it. But only The Holy Grail and Sacred Mind caught my attention. That was until Grand Parade. Holy shit is that somg awesome. At least on the first listen. Can't wait to dig into it today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: October 14, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Just came back to post that Grand Parade is one of the best songs I've heard from Blind Guardian. Amazing!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
Yeah, it is a fantastic track, and it perfectly fits it's name.

I understand most criticisms of Beyond the Red Mirror, but it being bland/more of the same isn't one of them. I think a good amount of the tracks is distinct from what they have done previously.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
I've listened to BTRM a lot when it came out, and The Grand Parade is one song I don't remember anything from. I'll have to revisit it at some point.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
TGP is one of the two tracks on that album that doesn't do much for me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #546 on: October 15, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
I'm glad that people like that song, my main problem with it that it feels so fat and at the same time, all streamlined. I know there's a slower section in the middle, but otherwise the song remains the same for all of its 9 minutes and it ends with the same chorus, there's nothing to look forward to, once you hear the first verse and chorus, you already know how it ends. Sure, it's nothing strange to end the song with a chorus, that's why a chorus is there, to be repeated, but there's no sense of big climax, like it happens for example with And then there Was Silence. It starts, it goes on and on about this grand parade, and then it's over. There's more sense of urgency and "wow, we're at the climax" in the final minute of Somewhere Far Beyond alone.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
For those interested, there is an alternate version of the song, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5QjGr1sYtk. It has different vocals and sounds a bit different, but overall is almost the same. I own it on vinyl, but it was never released on cd/digitally.

It actually annoys me a bit, the release of Beyond the Red Mirror was messy with the bonus tracks and all (Distant Memories and Doom).

I'm glad that people like that song, my main problem with it that it feels so fat and at the same time, all streamlined. I know there's a slower section in the middle, but otherwise the song remains the same for all of its 9 minutes and it ends with the same chorus, there's nothing to look forward to, once you hear the first verse and chorus, you already know how it ends. Sure, it's nothing strange to end the song with a chorus, that's why a chorus is there, to be repeated, but there's no sense of big climax, like it happens for example with And then there Was Silence. It starts, it goes on and on about this grand parade, and then it's over. There's more sense of urgency and "wow, we're at the climax" in the final minute of Somewhere Far Beyond alone.

It is more conventionally structured song, I agree. The song has a more singular musical direction, and does not have the many twists of And Then There Was Silence. But I do think it has a clear climax to it. It does contain some more aggressive/darker moments near the end, and it does speed up/intensify throughout, which to me indicates a climax. However, unlike many other songs of theirs, it has a gradual build towards it.

In general, the song has a celebrative/swinging tone to it that makes it stick out for me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:48:28 PM by ErHaO »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #549 on: March 01, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
I really hope that metal bands making grandiose, over-the-top rock-operas with full orchestra and choir becomes a trend soon. I'm hyped for this after reading that and listening to the very brief snippet.

Also the main theme they present in that snippet gives me strong Hedwig's Theme vibes. It's like how Michael Romero's War of the Worlds had that theme that straight up sounded like the Force theme from Star Wars.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2019, 01:00:35 AM »
That orchestral album finally has a release date:

http://bravewords.com/news/blind-guardian-s-twilight-orchestra-orchestral-album-legacy-of-the-dark-lands-due-in-november-teaser-video

Hell has frozen over.

There were Blind Guardian fans when the orchestral project was announced who were a couple, and then they got married and got kids and those kids are Blind Guardian fan and they're teens who still haven't heard the album  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: March 02, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
Is this a metal album with orchestra or just an orchestral album?  Does Hansi sing on it?  I know I've heard of this album since I became a fan like 10 or so years ago, but I never cared to find the details since it always just seemed like something in the back of the bands mind.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #552 on: March 02, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
It's an orchestral album with Hansi singing, there is no full band. The band has made public their indecision about wether to call it or not a Blind Guardian album. "Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra" sounds like a good compromise.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: March 02, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »
Interesting since Hansi is singing, but I'm not sure if this will be my thing or not.  Glad they completed the project though. Hansi seems to be pretty involved in lots of things, just not the traditional Blind Guardian right now though. 

Offline Art

« Reply #554 on: March 06, 2019, 04:30:12 AM »
Make Hansi Kursch Sing Aggressively Again

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #555 on: March 06, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Make Hansi Kursch Sing Aggressively Again

He can barely sing his current style. I'd rather his voice not be completely shot.

I'm very curious how he's going to pull off the Crimson King material live.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #556 on: March 06, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
One octave lower like he always does? (Even though I have to say in later years he positively surprised me when it comes to live performances)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:58 AM »
One octave lower like he always does? (Even though I have to say in later years he positively surprised me when it comes to live performances)

Sometimes when he changes the style to suit his voice, it comes out better, but if they play Crimson King, I don't know. Most D&W songs are sung in a higher register.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #558 on: June 04, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
Got some good financial news recently so I decided to treat myself. I was checking out samples from the Demons & Wizards re-releases as I totally missed them initially. Liked what I heard. Sounded like IE with a different singer and I liked what I was hearing from Hansi so I pre-ordered those reissues.

This led me to check out Blind Guardian whom I had never ever heard a note of. Sampled songs from all over their catalog and wasn't finding anything that I disliked so I did my rare order the whole studio discography thing. Got the 2 disc sets of the first 7 albums and the reissue of the 8th. Then just regular versions of 9 and 10. Should hopefully be here by the weekend.

I will probably do what I did when I did this same thing with Coheed recently. Just go in chronological order.

Looking forward to the journey.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2019, 06:51:41 PM »
I did something similar in the fall. Lots of posts on that in this thread.

I had sampled them many years ago, but I just couldn't get into it. I got a big fat Amazon GC for my 50th and I bought the entire discog. Really liking it.