Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 96983 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #630 on: August 28, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »
The songs are awesome though. My first experience was either IFTOS or also Live, and I didn't listen to ANATO for a long time. The production was surprising but I thought, and still think, that the quality of the actual songs is incredible.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:37 AM »
Oh yea, those songs are great, but I hardly ever listen to the album.  I'd rather go to the Live versions.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #632 on: August 28, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
Oh yeah the songs themselves are great, but that production. Production? More like proSUCKtion! This joke brought to you by TAC Farms
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #633 on: August 28, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
Aside from giving me a headache on occasion, I don't mind the production.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #634 on: August 28, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
Aside from giving me a headache on occasion, I don't mind the production.

Yeah, the production on ANATO is hardly the worst I've heard. Just overwhelming at times, namely if I'm listening with headphones on.

That said, I don't entirely disagree that I prefer hearing the songs on Live instead... it's just a shame that that album only has three songs from ANATO on it. If Live included Age of False Innocence (no idea if they ever played that song live) or Precious Jerusalem and And Then There Was Silence to help better represent the material from that album, I'd be appreciative.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: August 29, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »
Oh yeah the songs themselves are great, but that production. Production? More like proSUCKtion! This joke brought to you by TAC Farms

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #636 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
It is not just the sound, it is a massively overdubbed Hansi at the top of his range at most times in different layers of the music. And the choirs don't sound like choirs at all (I think the overdubbed vocals and the use of them on Nightfall in Middle Earth are vastly superior). It is honestly why I prefer the rerecording of And Then There Was Silence (for the most part), it has restraint at times, which allows for more impact at other moments.  Rhythm guitars also sound weird on ANATO, though I do really love the lead guitar melodies/solo's and drums on ANATO. That said, most songs on ANATO are great, I just can't deal with the album as a whole at once, in part due to the sound.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #637 on: September 06, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »
First full orchestral song, it's real!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVtQ0jX9zB4#menu

I like it! It is most definitely different than "usual" BG.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #638 on: September 07, 2019, 04:14:42 PM »
You say? 'cause to me it feels like a Blind Guardian songs without the metal part, and only the orchestration.

Which is not a complaint at all, I love Hansi's voice, I love his songwriting so I'm all down for an album like that!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #639 on: September 07, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »
You say? 'cause to me it feels like a Blind Guardian songs without the metal part, and only the orchestration.

Which is not a complaint at all, I love Hansi's voice, I love his songwriting so I'm all down for an album like that!

Well, kind of. I think the vocals and use of choirs are undeniably BG, as is the overall song structure, but the more upbeat "riffs" (not sure how to call them, not overly familiar with classical terms) that now fill up the music between the massive orchestral parts feel fresh too me.

That said, after a couple of listens I really like it. Apparantly the song set to be the lead single will be a song they wrote back in the day this all started, really looking forward to it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: September 08, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
I'll have to check it out when I get home, probably shouldn't of washed my hands after shaking Hansis last night.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #641 on: September 08, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
I'll have to check it out when I get home, probably shouldn't of washed my hands after shaking Hansis last night.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #642 on: October 04, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
Second orchestral song is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_VJ-jJosI

It is a bit hard wrapping my head around this one, as it seems to be constantly doing something different. I liked the first song better, but I am intrigued. One thing I dislike is how the choirs are mixed, they sounds like typical power metal choirs, whereas just Hansi and an orchestra should allow for a more organic sounding choir (just compare how the choirs sound in the making of vids of this very album).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: November 01, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
Wanna know what the upcoming Blind Guardian orchestral album sounds like? Read this excellent review and find out!

https://www.facebook.com/SonicPerspectives/posts/2795508737126300

:metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #644 on: November 01, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
I can't believe it's almost here!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #645 on: November 02, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
Based on the two released tracks this will be a tough pill to swallow for me, but one worth swallowing. Now that I got more used to their structure and lack typical BG instrumentalization, I really enjoy them.

Reviews so far sound good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #647 on: November 08, 2019, 02:06:02 AM »
So... to have a Metallica / BG crossover, today is the day that never comes.

But guess what... it came!

The orchestral album is out today. Feels unreal. I ordered it yesterday off EMP and I still can't believe it's coming. I'll probably even hear it before its arrival, since I assume it will be out on Spotify and available for naughty children, and even then I'll have a hard time realizing this is actually it  ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #648 on: November 08, 2019, 02:31:23 AM »
Listened to it and I really enjoy it. Red Dwarf is probably my favourite. Honestly, I think This Storm (the single) is probably the weakest song. Hansi sounds great and is really varied throughout the album. One thing I like is that at many times it is just Hansi singing and not many overdubs. And unlike the two singles at times, most songs don't sound like a band is missing. Even for Harvester of Souls, which is a reworked version of At The Edge of Time from their last album. It is actually interesting to compare these two. I think Harvester is better, as there is more breathing room in the song and Hansi sings more varied.

Overall, this album is Blind Guardian for sure. I can see why it isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy A Night at The Opera/Beyond the Red Mirror Blind Guardian (the songwriting reminds me the most of those two), I think you should give it a try.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #649 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
An actual videoclip for War Feeds War! Last time was 10 years ago for A Voice in The Dark I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZjrn6IhOw

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 08, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »
I actually watched that this morning (didn't realize it was just released) but as much as I love Hansi here, I'm just not that interested in an orchestral album.  I don't see much context of me actually listening to it to want to buy it.  Totally respect the art, and it's actually kind of cool from what I heard.  But it's not for me, at least not for what I am typically looking to listen to.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #651 on: November 08, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
I’m on the fence about this orchestral thing.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: November 08, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »

I have no interest in it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: November 08, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »

I have no interest in it.

Didn't you like most of BG's discography though? It's absolutely worth checking out, dude. If only because they've been working on it for so long and put so much work into it. Do it for me  :-*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #654 on: November 08, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
I did, but I hate symphonic music in my metal, and I don't exactly love Hansi's voice.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #655 on: November 08, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »
Just like TAC doesn’t like spices in his beer.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #656 on: November 08, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »
Just like TAC doesn’t like spices in his beer.

Exactly!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #657 on: November 08, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »
I did, but I hate symphonic music in my metal, and I don't exactly love Hansi's voice.

We are not a match.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #658 on: November 24, 2019, 12:05:38 AM »
Finally got the CD version (Earbook) of the new album and bloody hell it sounds amazing.
That said it's not an easy album to fully listen to and digest.

The guy at the music store who sold me the album, asked me, 'would you prefer a full on BG metal album or this?'
I immediately answered the orchestral album, been waiting a loooooooog time for it and with all the hype, I finally get to hear it.

I reckon this will be my album to test speakers (that I am just about to start looking for) and headphones from now on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #659 on: December 02, 2019, 02:55:41 AM »
I've decided to make an abridged version of the orchestral album, cutting out all the spoken interludes. Which requires more than just simply skipping those tracks - they flow one into and out of the other so each song starts and ends with ambient noises from the preceeding track, and so I had to rely on the instrumental versions to use their beginnings and endings which are "clean".

It's not that the interludes annoy me per se, they never did on Nightfall, but they block the flow of the album and they're every other song with no exception. Furthermore they're always played by "Sauron and Morgoth" and so you can't even follow the different characters with different voices - two guys voice them all basically. So I figured I might as well save 10 minutes and have a songs-only version of the album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: December 02, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
So I've listened to this thing...

It sounds awesome. Unfortunately, it's bloated as all get out and the narration doesn't make it any more interesting. Cripes, I heard more compelling (if corny as hell) narration on Rhapsody's CDs. This just sounds like Nightfall's most boring moments with a massive orchestral score behind it. The score itself is powerful and exquisite, but there's a whole lot of time spent waiting for something memorable to pop up. And even in classical symphonies and operas, there is composition that is more striking, more bold, more memorable than a lot of what is on here.

I'll buy it to have a copy for the BG collection but it's not something I'll probably ever put on again in its entirety. Not worth 20 years of waiting, that much I can say for certain.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #661 on: December 02, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
I really enjoy it. My main gripe is that indeed the narration is not that compelling. The dialouges just do not flow that well. The way these songs were written definitely screams BG/Andre to me, and that density always takes a bit for me to get into but ultimately is worth it.

I actually prefer Harvester of Souls over At The Edge of Time (song) now. The song has a bit more room to breathe this way. And This Storm has grown on me quite a bit. I love it in the context of the album.

I've decided to make an abridged version of the orchestral album, cutting out all the spoken interludes. Which requires more than just simply skipping those tracks - they flow one into and out of the other so each song starts and ends with ambient noises from the preceeding track, and so I had to rely on the instrumental versions to use their beginnings and endings which are "clean".

It's not that the interludes annoy me per se, they never did on Nightfall, but they block the flow of the album and they're every other song with no exception. Furthermore they're always played by "Sauron and Morgoth" and so you can't even follow the different characters with different voices - two guys voice them all basically. So I figured I might as well save 10 minutes and have a songs-only version of the album.

On streaming services there is an official abridged version. Special editions of the alnum have it as well I believe.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
I honestly need to listen to this one again. I liked the music quite a bit but I agree, the narration is quite annoying actually.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #663 on: December 02, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »

On streaming services there is an official abridged version. Special editions of the alnum have it as well I believe.

You mean I spent 2 hours working out all the blendings and edits while I could have just went online?  :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #664 on: December 02, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
Yes Spotify has a version without the narration and the 3CD Earbook set also contains a disc with the abridged version.