Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95258 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »
Wow I never even knew about this song, thanks for posting the link.
I even checked my BG Traveller's box set and it not on anything there.
This song is too good to be not available on some sort of official album.

It's now released as an EP with the purchase of the Rock Hard magazine.

The video has this in the description

Previously unreleased song from the Nightfall in Middle-Earth sessions (1998). Now released as EP by the Rock Hard Magazine alongside other five live tracks recorded at the Rock Hard Festival 2016.

I do not own any rights of this song. All the rights belong to Blind Guardian and the Rock Hard label. Buy the new issue of the magazine and get the free CD!

Song is pretty cool and really nice surprise to get a "new" track from such a cool album now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious  ;D
I did read the you tube comments...

What I meant was the song is too good to be not on a readily available on a normal BG.
It looks easy to get a copy of the RH CD.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
As a LOTR and Blind Guardian nerd, that song makes me moist. Really good stuff, love it, and I agree it's too good to not have been on the album. Damn. I do still want a copy of that CD though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
Kind of amazing that song didn't make it to some BG album, but apparently that's not the case for now.  I don't even know how such a song lasted so long without being known  :lol but then again I hear about some bands I like that have many songs recorded but never released so who knows.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
Haha right? Especially Blind Guardian, here I thought I had everything they had ever released down to demos and B-sides and they still surprised me.

A Facebook friend suggested I pick up the NIME vinyl that's coming out with this track on it and have Hansi sign it at PP next year... I just might do that.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
So, I finished my first week listening to Blind Guardian. With the exception of A Twist In The Myth, their entire studio discog, including Tokyo Tales, has been delivered. I've made it through the first four albums. I just cannot say how impressed I am with this band. I really wish I could have experienced them in real time. Let's just say that the world is a lot smaller than is was in 1990.

I love the fact that the band has basically remained intact all these years. Oh, and the artwork was made for vinyl. Amazing.

I really like all four albums though Twilight and Somewhere are definitely steps up from the first two. But the first two have a great charm to them. I did get one listen in on Imaginations and it definitely continues the quality, but my first impression is that I thought Twilight and Somewhere were stronger.

Anyway, more next week...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
Didn't care much for Tides of War.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
TAC, you're gonna be in for a bit of a shock once you hit Nightfall, and moreso when you hit A Night At The Opera. The sound changes drastically, but hopefully you're locked in and enjoy it. You've gone through my favorite era already, but I love everything they've ever done, so I'm eager to hear your impressions on the modern era of the band. This is when they really begin to slow down on releasing albums and a new album comes out once every 4-5 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
Yeah, there was even a gap between Somewhere and Imaginations. Looking forward to the rest. That's why I started at the beginning, so I could see how the band evolved. Bands do change, but the quality of the first four albums is stunning, especially considering the turnaround time between albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2018, 02:47:34 AM »
Have you checkes out Tokyo Tales? It is a really cool live album with songs from their first four albums, and for me personally some of these live versions are superior to their album counterparts.

For me personally every Blind Guardian album beyond Somewhere Far Beyond needed a bit of time to sink in (save for At the Edge of Time). I didn't even like Nightall in Middle Earth that much initially (I liked it, but not more than that), but it ended up being my favourite album of all time.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »
Haha right? Especially Blind Guardian, here I thought I had everything they had ever released down to demos and B-sides and they still surprised me.

A Facebook friend suggested I pick up the NIME vinyl that's coming out with this track on it and have Hansi sign it at PP next year... I just might do that.  :metal

Thanks for the info on the NIME re-release with The Tides Of War on it I was just about to drop $40 for Rock Hard Magazine CD.
Release date is 30/11/2018 so a couple months to wait.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »
Have you checkes out Tokyo Tales? It is a really cool live album with songs from their first four albums, and for me personally some of these live versions are superior to their album counterparts.

I did get it. I've only dropped the needle in a couple of spots. I haven't had time to really dig into it yet. From what I've heard, it sounds great.

I didn't even like Nightall in Middle Earth that much initially (I liked it, but not more than that), but it ended up being my favourite album of all time.

Wow! I look forward to hearing it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
It definitely helps if you're a LOTR fan or a nerd over its lore, but I know plenty of people who don't know jack about it and still love the heck out of NIME.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2018, 10:35:42 PM »
NIME is my fave all time BG album.
It's so epic, love the songs and interludes, production is great.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »

Just gave it a listen. Great love album. I didn't find the live versions very superior, though. Not like Alive In Athens does to IE's studio work. The BG studio albums are pretty strong sound and production wise. But yes, I do generally prefer live versions, and this was no different.

It definitely helps if you're a LOTR fan or a nerd over its lore, but I know plenty of people who don't know jack about it and still love the heck out of NIME.

I am definitely NOT a LOTR nerd. But I really do like that song.

Going to start with the next studio albums this week. I did give Imaginations a listen already, but will dive in tomorrow.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2018, 03:22:33 PM »

Just gave it a listen. Great love album. I didn't find the live versions very superior, though. Not like Alive In Athens does to IE's studio work. The BG studio albums are pretty strong sound and production wise. But yes, I do generally prefer live versions, and this was no different.

I am definitely NOT a LOTR nerd. But I really do like that song.

Going to start with the next studio albums this week. I did give Imaginations a listen already, but will dive in tomorrow.

Having love for LotR helps (as it clearly lays out a story with small interludes and all), but I don't think it is a requirement for loving Nightfall in Middle Earth. It will be interesting to see your reaction to that album, as it is a different type of Blind Guardian album. (also, a good amount of BG songs are about LotR. For example, Majesty, Run for the Night, and Lost in the Twilight Hall).

And I agree it is not as drastic as Alive in Athens (which is my favourite Iced Earth record). I think the best Blind Guardian live recording is Live.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:28:02 PM by ErHaO »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
I did see Live. What tour is that from? Is it a full show? Compilation?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #472 on: September 30, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
I did see Live. What tour is that from? Is it a full show? Compilation?

Compilation of various shows
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
From the same tour?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
Yes, it is from their 2002-2003 tour.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 30, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »
Live is really good, if only because it has Mirror Mirror and songs from Imaginations on it, but I think Hansi sounds much better on Tokyo Tales, much more fierce and raw. The crowd reaction is crazy good too. Can't go wrong with either album tbh.

And yeah, lots of literature-inspired songs in their music all the way back to the first album. The last few have several about A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones too (I know BTRM is a concept album/sequel to Imaginations but I can't help but think The Throne is about Game of Thrones).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
Has 'Imaginations From The Looking Glass' live CD set been released officially outside of the Travellers box set?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
Has 'Imaginations From The Looking Glass' live CD set been released officially outside of the Travellers box set?

Unfortunately no, not that I'm aware of. Just in that box.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #478 on: September 30, 2018, 04:47:01 PM »
Cheers, I am sure now the NB have the right to the Virgin years, they will no doubt plummet this recording in the near future.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #479 on: October 01, 2018, 01:06:10 AM »

Moment of pride: I am in the extras of the DVD, at the time I was cyber-living on the BG official forum and I went to Germany (for the first of many times) to meet all the people and of course to witness those two concerts. It was an amazing experience  :metal ruining the DVD by singing off key Valhalla in front of the camera was just an added bonus  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: October 01, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
One of my favorite concert DVDs.  Crowd just sings along to the whole concert.  Hansi gets his stage to go out and just belt the songs.  I love how the setlist is heavy on ANATO and IFTO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #481 on: October 01, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »
One of my favorite concert DVDs.  Crowd just sings along to the whole concert.  Hansi gets his stage to go out and just belt the songs.  I love how the setlist is heavy on ANATO and IFTO.

My favorite Blind Guardian live show.  Man. I still kick myself in the balls for not seeing them when they played here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #482 on: October 01, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
Pretty much wrapped up Imaginations From The Other Side. What is everyone's thoughts on it? Seems it was , at the time, the longest stretch between albums for them.

I am interested for those that were listening in real time, was the wait worth it?

I think it is very solid, but it's the first album of theirs so far where I wasn't like holyshithtisisamazing!

I like the title track, I'm Alive, which kicks ass, and the Script For My Requiem (love that opening riff).

Next: Nightfall In Middle Earth

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: October 01, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
Didn't hear it until almost a decade after its release but Script singlehandedly helped change my view on music, metal in particular. Imaginations is one of the greatest metal albums ever made, hands down, in my opinion. The only song I'm not over the moon about is And The Story Ends but that's just because every other track raises the bar so high. I want to be buried with that freaking album. The production, the riffs, the energy, Hansi's voice, the lyrics, perfect.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: October 01, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
My favorite album of theirs.  I'm kind of surprised you are saying this is the first one that didn't wow you.  It's just the perfect mix of everything that makes BG awesome.  Their sound changes a lot after this record, but this record still makes me feel like their past and future albums are from the same band. 

Script is a kick ass live song, well all these songs work really well live.  Saw them do the whole album live at ProgPower two years ago.  Mordred's Song was one of my most wanted to see live songs. Love that guitar solo.

Blind Guardian - Mordred's Song Live @ ProgPower 17

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #485 on: October 01, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »
That's your favorite song by them? At least that's what you say in the video.

Maybe this album will hit me later, and perhaps age better against what comes later.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: October 01, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
It's definitely the last of the old guard, to put it one way.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #487 on: October 01, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
For most people, either Imaginations or Nightfall are considered their best album. Hell, their last tour was focused on playing Imaginations in it's entirety because it is definitely a fan favourite. It probably ranks fifth for me, but it has some of my favourite songs (Another Holy War and Mordred's Song in particular).

After Somewhere Far Beyond they took their sweet time for basically every album. As a result, a lot of the songs became more complex and the studio versions have a lot of layers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: October 01, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
It probably ranks fifth for me,

Me too. ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #489 on: October 01, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »
Imaginations is amazing.  I got into the band with Nightfall in Middle Earth right around when that record was released, but I was lost with the Tolkien story and the big bombastic/epic style of that record, save for a few catchy songs. 

So Imaginations and Somewhere Far Beyond were the two albums that I focused on in the late 90's and early 2000's until they put out ANATO.  Seeing them do Imaginations in full two years ago was incredible.  That album has so many perfect songs.