Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95219 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #490 on: October 02, 2018, 01:10:28 AM »
BG were one of the earlier bands I've listened to, that mixed with the fact that they played those songs a bazillion times live made Imaginations, for me, a over saturated album.

Having said that, I will never, ever deny that it's a masterpiece of the genre, and an album that stands the test of time. It's the culmination of everything they've done up to that point. It has all the rights to be acclaimed as their best work and all the songs work well live. A masterpiece for the ages.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: October 03, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
Been listening to Nightfall In Middle Earth.

I wasn't aware The Astonishing was a cover album. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #492 on: October 03, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »
Been listening to Nightfall In Middle Earth.

I wasn't aware The Astonishing was a cover album. ;D

Uh? they're nothing alike.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #493 on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
So seriously folks...

I like it. A lot. It doesn't really feature the speed that was evident on the previous albums. I can do without the interludes and all that. I definitely like it more than Imaginations. Seems a bit more focused and consistent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
Interesting. For me, it's my least favorite Guardian album - too many interludes, not enough strong songs (maybe 4 or 5 max), weaker production, even the strong songs rarely reach the highs of Imaginations. Still a fun album, but I disagree with the fanbase massively on this album. I'm drawn to your adjectives 'focused' and 'consistent' 'cause I think it's one of the least consistent! :)

Yeah, it definitely ditches some of what you've come to love the band for - but how about Mirror Mirror? That's absolutely the highlight of the album for me, what a great vocal performance from Hansi ("shall we dare the dragon / merciless he's poisoning our halls!" - love it).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: October 03, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
So, Mirror Mirror has definitely stood out. I've only had time to listen while driving, so I don't even know the songs by name. I skip the interludes. I am planning on burning a CD without them and removing them from my iPod.

I just know that all of the proper songs have been very enjoyable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #496 on: October 03, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
So before I moved on any further, I wanted to give Imaginations another dedicated listen. Going to spend some serious time with Nightfall tomorrow.

Personally of the first five albums, I would rank them like this:

Twilight
Battalions
Somewhere
Blind
Imaginations

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #497 on: October 04, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
NIME is my fave BG album I love it, with all the interludes and everything.
The music is awesome and I love the story.

So far I have three versions, original, remix/remaster (2012) and this week I bought the 2017 NB re-issue (2007 remaster).
Of the three, the original is overall the best, followed by the 2017 version. The remix sounds a little weak and flat compared to the other 2.

BTW there is already an official version of 'Nightfall' without all the interludes and intro's, but it was only issued in the Travellers Guide box set from 2013.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
BTW there is already an official version of 'Nightfall' without all the interludes and intro's,

I made my own. ;D

I like Nightfall a lot. Ran through it again today before moving on to A Night At The Opera.  I love Into The Storm. It's probably the song I liked the most off it based on 4 listens.

Had my maiden listen to A Night At The Opera. This is another excellent album. Again, I was a little worried with people saying that they would leave the speed metal days behind, but these albums have a more consistant feel to them. More mature without getting wimpy. The song that really stood out from the first listen was Age Of false Innocence. A total ass kicker!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #499 on: October 04, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
ANATO is underrated, it is very consistent plus it has the epic And The There Was Silence.
The only thing I don't like about it, is the mix, its a little on the muddy side, with the drums being buried too low.
The remix is a little better, but lacks some of the punch of the previous two albums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: October 04, 2018, 07:51:50 PM »
ANATO is underrated, it is very consistent plus it has the epic And The There Was Silence.
The only thing I don't like about it, is the mix, its a little on the muddy side, with the drums being buried too low.
The remix is a little better, but lacks some of the punch of the previous two albums.

One of my fav albums from them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: October 04, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »
Kade, where do you stand on Blind Guardian? What are you favorite albums by them? Incredibly, I'm giving them an honest go for the first time.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #502 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
I think ANOTO is the first record where Hansi's vocals are so layered that it sounds like there are 15 of him singing.  I prefer the older style (Tales / SFB / Imaginations / Nightfall) to the more bombastic sound of ANOTO and some of the albums that followed, but that doesn't erase the album's awesomeness. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #503 on: October 05, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
Well, when I post I usually appear to be down on ANATO, but I do absolutely love it's songs. It is just that as an album it doesn't work as well for me, if that makes sense. The epic dail is always at mac and I don't like the sound production. But every song is some of the most epic power metal out there and feels very unique within the genre. And compared to other power metal artists they somehow sound more serious/less cheesy to my ears, despite being extremely over the top. And Then There Was Silence is something special and it was badass that they actually released that as the single for the album (which, fun fact, charted #1 in Spain  :lol) The lyrical subjects of the album are also very cool in my opinion, and generally it is well written. So while I rarely listen to the entire album, I think it's content is sublime.

In regards to Nightfall, I have a playlist that has the spoken words tracks removed, but I usually keep the small musical (acoustic) bits.

Has 'Imaginations From The Looking Glass' live CD set been released officially outside of the Travellers box set?

Moment of pride: I am in the extras of the DVD, at the time I was cyber-living on the BG official forum and I went to Germany (for the first of many times) to meet all the people and of course to witness those two concerts. It was an amazing experience  :metal ruining the DVD by singing off key Valhalla in front of the camera was just an added bonus  :biggrin:

Very cool! I still check out their (pretty much inactive usually) forum out when there are new releases and Hansi actually posted a couple of times recently, to share some teases.

Quote from Hansi:

As for an official announcement, we may wait a little longer.  I already have burnt my fingers with regard to the orchestral project a couple of times, to say it nicely  And no, I do not get used to the heat. But I can tell you, that by now I have finished vocals for 10 out of 11 songs. For each song we have a good amount of very good versions (always with different layers). Right now we are pre-selecting the best parts before we internally call these songs finished - lead vocal wise. As said so many times, I am not accompanied by the regular band performance of my long time companions. In a far, far, but not too away future when you will have a chance to listen to the album, you will recognize one song, which has appeared on another B.G. album in a quite different set up. On this upcoming release this song will most probably be entitled "Guardian of the Netherworld". All the other songs are completely new compositions, though 20 years of age, at least some of them. Not a lot of new informations, but some.

(and some other posts, was cool to see him post for the like ten fans that still check the forum)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
I would really like to know why exactly it has taken so freaking long other than Blind Guardian being in the way with writing and touring but even with those factored in it's been a very, very long time for this one project. I sure hope it blows me away.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #505 on: October 05, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
I'd say it's a mix of:

- Wanting to do it good and wait for the proper songwriting inspiration rather than churning it out just because
- As you said, writing and touring (and their writing takes a lot of time) for normal albums
- Possibly budget reasons, maybe the earnings from a tour "funded" the project at the quality they wanted to attain
- Which leads us to the last point, they're damn perfectionists to the point of paranoia, they're the Kubrick of metal basically

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: October 05, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Those are all good points. Yeah, ever since they got on the 4-5 year release timeline they've really taken their time. I wonder what the next album will sound like. Three of the guys are 50, 51, and 52 now. I see 2, maybe 3 albums in them max, but I hope I'm wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2018, 03:39:20 PM »
Hansi also made a post in regards of their next album, for which they have already started songwriting for a while. Hansi expects that one 24 months from now. He also said the songwriting thus far was less "orchestra abuse" orientated, though that element will probably not go away from their music entirely. Which would make sense in my opinion, after one album with a good amount of songs being orchestral to a large extent and one exclusively orchestral album.

And if they stick to 2020 for the next "regular" studio album (quite the if), we would have Demons and Wizards, the orchestral album, and a regular studio album in 5 years after Beyond the Red Mirror, plus their live album last year. That would be a great half decade for BG fans overall. Since they are taking a major break from touring now, they should have more time to focus on the next album.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:59:31 PM by ErHaO »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »

There seems like there are way too many layers on this. The layered vocals in And There Was Silence really detracts from the song, like I can't see the forest through the trees.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

There seems like there are way too many layers on this. The layered vocals in And There Was Silence really detracts from the song, like I can't see the forest through the trees.

I know what you mean, those songs are better on the Live album

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »
I think the rerecording of And Then There Was Silence on Memories of a Time to Come is the superior version for that reason. It sounds so much more open and at times it is just Hansi singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XZgfpLbYI
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:35:29 AM by ErHaO »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #511 on: October 06, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »
I actually love the layered vocals on ANATO. Sounds so epic.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2018, 04:46:46 AM »
I think the rerecording of And Then There Was Silence on Memories of a Time to Come is the superior version for that reason. It sounds so much more open and at times it is just Hansi singing.

Production wise, sure, but I was so used to the vocal melodies of the original chorus that I don't like the changes, as subtle as they are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: October 07, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »

That is so much easier on the ears, man. thank you.

I think overall, I am trying to not let the production get in the way of enjoying the songs on Opera. I think the songs are actually quite strong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #514 on: October 07, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
I love ANATO, but it does tend to induce a headache. Unfortunately the remix, although less headache inducing, is not mixed very well. There are volume drops, and the drums are mixed way too low. The vinyl version is a little better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: October 07, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
Good, so it's not just me. I'm moving on to A Twist In The Myth. After 3 or 4 listens, I like the songs on Opera a lot. I ordered Live yesterday so I look forward in hearing the Opera tunes on that. But I will definitely have to come back to this.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #516 on: October 07, 2018, 09:06:14 PM »
tbh I feel that way about Beyond the Red Mirror too. Musically, it's amazing and up there with At the Edge of Time as one of their best for me, but the mixing and production irks me at times. The sound is really thick and muddy and it does bother me after a while.

Would love to hear a remixed version of The Ninth Wave honestly.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: October 07, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
Yeah ANATO's production is the biggest problem for me with the record. It's such a departure from the raw speed metal era in so many ways. It's still an intense, heavy record, but I've never thought it sounded right. Hansi's vocals can sometimes make the trebles just overwhelming and noisy along with the ten thousand other things going on.

Twist... sounds better, but I think it's one of their more straightforward albums. Songs like Turn the Page and Fly are classics all around, and I even like Another Stranger Me, but some of the other songs are just forgettable imo. At The Edge has a few great songs, but I think Beyond The Red Mirror is their best album since ANATO, or maybe even Imaginations.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #518 on: October 08, 2018, 01:13:06 AM »
On the contrary, I think that At the Edge of Time is one of their best recent records and the perfect balance between the speed / power metal and the orchestral influences, while Beyond the Red Mirror is so bloated and with the super ultra mega orchestrations dialed up to 11 and cranked up to infinity that in comparison ANATO looks like an AC/DC album.

In Italy we have a saying for stuff that seems to lack substance, even though it appears good, don't know the equivalent in english, but the saying goes "there's too much smoke and there's no roast". Well, Beyond the Red Mirror gives me the idea of having so much smoke, that you can't even understand if there's actually a roast beneath.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:42:44 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: October 08, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
Yea, At The Edge of Time is my favorite since Imaginations and I'd say A Twist is easily the worst.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: October 08, 2018, 07:50:29 AM »
Interesting. IMO Mirror is much more consistent; although Sacred Worlds is a better opener than The Ninth Wave, only it, Voice in the Dark and Ride into Obsession really kick ass on Edge. Tanelorn is okay but I don't generally like choruses that drop the speed in both drums and vocal melodies by half, it kills the energetic flow for me. Double bass or GTFO  :biggrin: I do like Wheel of Time but I remember Hansi hyping it up to be similar to And Then There Was Silence... and although I love Wheel of Time (the books) the song just leaves me wanting more especially with the vocal melodies. Mirror on the other hand only has Miracle Machine and Grand Parade that I'm not crazy about but it's made up for with the bonus tracks Distant Memories and Doom.

Offline 425

« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2018, 07:54:46 AM »

Oh man, I loved this song when Katt sent it in my roulette, but I did have problems with low the guitars were in the mix. This sounds so much better to me. Thanks for posting it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #522 on: October 09, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »
The episode about Somewhere Far Beyond for their docu series is online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLdHnSS7K10.

I adore A Twist In the Myth, but in general I think it is their least liked album (along with their first two). The songs are much more straightforward than almost anything of the couple of albums before it. But I like the songs. I think most are catchy and there is not really an album like it, in my opinion. It also sounds very weird, but not unpleasant.

I think At the Edge of Time is one of their best albums. It is kind of like a "best of" consisting of new tracks with a good sound production. Sacred is a great opener and uses the orchestral elements well, whilst being a very accessible song with good hooks. Tanelorn and Ride into Obsession are excellent higher tempo metal songs, of which Tanelorn evokes classic pre-Nightfall BG feelings. Voice in the Dark a good single with some good hooks. Curse My Name is their best folky song and perhaps their best ballad overall, War of Thrones is a very pleasant one as well. Road of No Release is a great track that combines most elements I love about the band. Valkyries and Control the Divine sound more like a progression from A Twist in the Myth, but with a vastly superior sound production. And Wheel of Time is one of their better epics and their best orchestral track thus far.

Beyond the Red Mirror is a great album and generally well liked I feel, but people on this forum seem to be down on it. I do get that though, it has a muddy sound (which I got used to), the songs are very dense, and I feel the tracks don't gel all that well together. After At the Edge of Time (and Memories of a Time to Come) I got to wonder why they went with that sound. It is like each time their producer Charlie wants to reinvent the wheel completely, but I wish they'd be a bit more conservative on that front.

That is so much easier on the ears, man. thank you.

I think overall, I am trying to not let the production get in the way of enjoying the songs on Opera. I think the songs are actually quite strong.

It might be worth it to check out the remix of A Night at the Opera in the upcoming rerelease eventually. As far as I know, it will have the same remix as the 2013 collector's box, which sounds pretty different.

The remix still is a massive sounding album with lot's of layers (as intended), but overall it sounds clearer and the vocal layers are much easier to distinquish (and some times several layers put into the background). And the rythm guitars are generally also a tad more audible. To me, it sounds more pleasant.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #523 on: October 09, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
Red Mirror - took 3 years and many listens before it clicked for me, it's quite complex with many layers and my ears took ages for it all to be fully digested.
Edge - while similar musically and style wise, is a much more immediate album that I appreciated almost straight away.
Twist - a lot more simple song structures and quite raw compared to the album before and the subsequent releases.

ANATO remix - as I have already mentioned above, it's a definite improvement over the original mix, but still lacks those punchy guitars that were evident on Nightfall and Imaginations.

Offline 425

« Reply #524 on: October 09, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the version of And Then There Was Silence that I've heard IS the remix (at least, it's marked "Remastered 2017") on Spotify. And I definitely find it inferior to the Memories of a Time to Come version.

I also listened to the Live Beyond the Spheres version, which I feel has the opposite problem from the album version: too much band, too little symphonic stuff.

That balance of both components is really important to me in symphonic metal, and I'm surprised at how often I hear releases that are off the mark (e.g., Showtime, Storytime from Nightwish, though a very good live album, has the symphonic elements too low in the mix).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time