Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 96968 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #805 on: March 18, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
Eh, I haven't been able to get into newer BG. This song did nothing for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2022, 05:40:29 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzE9LX8cgc  :metal It's a fast one.

Album will arrive in september.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #807 on: May 27, 2022, 06:26:41 AM »
Indeed, here's the cover art and the tracklist for THE GOD MACHINE:

1. Deliver Us from Evil (5:22)
2. Damnation (5:21)
3. Secrets of the American Gods (7:29)
4. Violent Shadows (4:18)
5. Life Beyond the Spheres (6:03)
6. Architects of Doom (6:21)
7. Let It Be No More (4:49)
8. Blood of the Elves (4:38)
9. Destiny (6:47)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: May 27, 2022, 08:04:52 AM »
Good song

Shaping up to be a better album than Beyond the Red Mirror, looking forward to September 2nd

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #809 on: May 27, 2022, 08:13:22 AM »
Song was good indeed, but I guess I'll try to forget about it. I didn't even go back to Secrets of the American Gods which I loved.

I understand that the market has changed and you need Spotify numbers and YouTube hits but can I say I find a bit annoying and "depressing" how this album has been drawn out? We got a live song at a Wacken show, and that's ok. Then a "single" ONE FRIGGIN' year before the album was meant to come out. Then after several months another song, and now this one with the announcement of the album for when summer is basically over.

It's a 9 songs album, but if you listen intensively to the released songs, it will basically feel like a compilation album with 5 new songs, and four of the songs you've already heard over the course of an year.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: May 27, 2022, 08:17:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this release timeline.  I wonder how much of that may have been impacted by covid.  I haven't gone back to listen to these songs either, I enjoyed them on first listen, maybe two, but I don't want to spoil the whole album when the release is far away. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #811 on: May 27, 2022, 08:54:45 AM »
Love the new song, I'll listen a couple of times and then that is it to the album.
Call old fashioned, old school or a dinosaur, but I'll wait for full album to drop to get the full experience and not OD
on all the pre-release songs.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #812 on: May 27, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
Song was good indeed, but I guess I'll try to forget about it. I didn't even go back to Secrets of the American Gods which I loved.

I understand that the market has changed and you need Spotify numbers and YouTube hits but can I say I find a bit annoying and "depressing" how this album has been drawn out? We got a live song at a Wacken show, and that's ok. Then a "single" ONE FRIGGIN' year before the album was meant to come out. Then after several months another song, and now this one with the announcement of the album for when summer is basically over.

It's a 9 songs album, but if you listen intensively to the released songs, it will basically feel like a compilation album with 5 new songs, and four of the songs you've already heard over the course of an year.

I agree that the release schedule is odd, I assume covid influenced their planning and they wanted to have some form of output during the pandemic.

The live single wasn't a bad decision to me, it was nice to do a new song live in that setting. I wonder how different the album version will be.

Deliver Us From Evil in december was just odd.

That said, the material thus far has been really great in my opinion. Pre-ordered the boxset  ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #813 on: May 27, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »
Yes the pre-order conundrum?
I'm not going to tie my money up for three months, then wait weeks after its release to arrive  ;D
My local record shop will stock it and I'll get the Earbook, picture vinyl and Japanese version if there are any exclusive bonus tracks.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #814 on: May 27, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
It does sound like we are getting a rare studio Blind Guardian record that does not sound weird/off in terms of sound production.

Yes the pre-order conundrum?
I'm not going to tie my money up for three months, then wait weeks after its release to arrive  ;D
My local record shop will stock it and I'll get the Earbook, picture vinyl and Japanese version if there are any exclusive bonus tracks.

Spent way too much money  ;D went for the box on Nuclear Blast and a vinyl/earbook via the band's own webshop.

But in the Netherlands I can atleast expect it at release I think.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #815 on: May 27, 2022, 08:11:54 PM »
The art is awesome and it's about damn time for something that isn't dark. I would like more light colors in metal album art along these lines.

This seems like a really short album. I'm not a fan of the release timeline either and the longest song was a single that I'm still not impressed with. Beyond the Red Mirror is one of my favorite BG albums but this one seems like it could be something of a departure from the last couple of albums. I'm intrigued and wonder how it will sound.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #816 on: June 04, 2022, 01:51:20 PM »
BG Facebook page is broadcasting live their Rockpalast show right now...
Hansi sounds mazing  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #817 on: June 05, 2022, 11:14:06 AM »
Just watched the stream on youtube, great performance!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=J3l5YNUb3qI

They played Somewhere Far Beyond (the album) in its entirety! So by the nature of this setlist you get some live rarities. Other songs were some 90's classics. No modern or new song was played. Wasn't expecting this at a festival set, but it worked really well. The sound is clear too, I can hear the entire band in all it's glory. Good crowd as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:20:23 AM by ErHaO »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2022, 02:12:58 AM »
Today is my day! after having seen BG in 2019 perform Imaginations from the Other Side in full, I'm gonna witness them play the entire Somewhere Far Beyond  :metal

Can't wait, off the top of my head that album was criminally ignored during their tours, aside from The Bard's song, I don't even remember if I ever heard Time what is Time live (one of my favorite songs from them), and I had to go in Germany to their Open Air to hear Somewhere Far Beyond (the song).

Seeing Imaginations live with friends was a blast but I've heard all those songs too many times, hearing in the same gig Theatre of Pain, Ashes to Ashes, The Quest for Tanelorn and obviously the rest (especially the first two tracks and the title track) will be a worthwhile experience  :metal :metal :metal

Pity that the festival I'm attending (in an actual castle) has a weird bill, today I get Mercyul Fate and Venom, tomorrow I won't be there and I will miss Priest and Saxon.... you'd figure that BG would go along better with Priest and Saxon...

Anyway, today I'm gonna see again live one of my favorite bands  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2022, 05:56:26 AM »
Today is my day! after having seen BG in 2019 perform Imaginations from the Other Side in full, I'm gonna witness them play the entire Somewhere Far Beyond  :metal

Can't wait, off the top of my head that album was criminally ignored during their tours, aside from The Bard's song, I don't even remember if I ever heard Time what is Time live (one of my favorite songs from them), and I had to go in Germany to their Open Air to hear Somewhere Far Beyond (the song).

Seeing Imaginations live with friends was a blast but I've heard all those songs too many times, hearing in the same gig Theatre of Pain, Ashes to Ashes, The Quest for Tanelorn and obviously the rest (especially the first two tracks and the title track) will be a worthwhile experience  :metal :metal :metal

Pity that the festival I'm attending (in an actual castle) has a weird bill, today I get Mercyul Fate and Venom, tomorrow I won't be there and I will miss Priest and Saxon.... you'd figure that BG would go along better with Priest and Saxon...

Anyway, today I'm gonna see again live one of my favorite bands  :metal

Nice!

I really hope to finally catch them again later this year. Still have tickets from their "tryout" show of this tour from way back. I wonder if that will just be their new album tour (I don't mind either way).

Also, there will be a Hellfest stream this sunday  ;D

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #820 on: June 24, 2022, 06:20:15 AM »
I'd love to see them play Somewhere Far Beyond in full.  When I saw the Imaginations tour in 2016, they played Time What is Time, which was a big surprise.  And of course, The Bard's Song. 

Have fun!   :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: June 24, 2022, 09:32:40 AM »
What festival is this OOC? I'm so jealous of all the awesome European metal festivals.  Have fun! I'm sure it will be good and I can't wait for them to come back to the states

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #822 on: June 24, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
This is the link to the upcoming Hellfest stream this sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq8T0QWpGA0

I doubt it will top Rock Hard, the stars aligned for that one (I hope they will do a release of it, like they did with the full Imaginations set).

Hellfest has overall been killing it this year. Many high quality streams that looked and sounded good. And by having two weekends they have a lot of material.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #823 on: June 25, 2022, 05:12:46 AM »
And I've come back!!! man, what a show!!!  :metal :heart

Hansi is like a good wine, he improves with age. His live performance has vastly improved since 10-15 years ago. I guess he took singing lessons, or changed singing coach, anyway, he was amazing and so was the whole band!!!

They were second in the bill before Mercyful Fate so they couldn't play forever, setlist was:

War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Welcome to Dying

SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND ENTIRE ALBUM
Mirror Mirror
Valhalla

It's funny 'cause BG are one of those bands that I listen since forever so they fall in the category "I don't listen to the old studio albums anymore, but I still know all the songs anyway". During the second song I couldn't remember at the moment how it went, then from muscle memory I remembered it and sang along, like "ah, yeah, that's how this song goes"  :lol

Somewhere Far Beyond the album was amazing, as I said not only I got to hear one of their best albums ever, I got the added bonus of hearing songs I rarely, if ever, heard from them!!! every song came out with fully energy and, even if I finally started again to see concerts, finally being at a proper festival, even moreso in a cool kickass location like the actual courtyard of an actual castle (check a public photo from the FB page of the festival), brought me immense joy.... and a fountain of tears during The Bard's Song  :lol

Mirror Mirror obviously was a huge riot, and usually it's the last song so I was so glad, as I was hoping and guessing, that we could get an extra song, and especially Valhalla. I can't remember the last time I heard the studio version of the song and probably I will never hear Follow the Blind again but man, being finally at a gig and seeing Blind Guardian kick ass and hearing a song with such a bombastic chorus, it was a tremendously energetic experience, screw the overplayed factor of it  :metal :metal :metal

Amazing show worth alone the price of admission!!!

(Here's another photo of the show, I was somewhere on the far right relatively close to the stage)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #824 on: June 25, 2022, 04:51:01 PM »
The stream is several songs in now, they sound great  ;D I love that they got a night slot.

And I've come back!!! man, what a show!!!  :metal :heart

Hansi is like a good wine, he improves with age. His live performance has vastly improved since 10-15 years ago. I guess he took singing lessons, or changed singing coach, anyway, he was amazing and so was the whole band!!!

They were second in the bill before Mercyful Fate so they couldn't play forever, setlist was:

War of Wrath
Into the Storm
Welcome to Dying

SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND ENTIRE ALBUM
Mirror Mirror
Valhalla

It's funny 'cause BG are one of those bands that I listen since forever so they fall in the category "I don't listen to the old studio albums anymore, but I still know all the songs anyway". During the second song I couldn't remember at the moment how it went, then from muscle memory I remembered it and sang along, like "ah, yeah, that's how this song goes"  :lol

Somewhere Far Beyond the album was amazing, as I said not only I got to hear one of their best albums ever, I got the added bonus of hearing songs I rarely, if ever, heard from them!!! every song came out with fully energy and, even if I finally started again to see concerts, finally being at a proper festival, even moreso in a cool kickass location like the actual courtyard of an actual castle (check a public photo from the FB page of the festival), brought me immense joy.... and a fountain of tears during The Bard's Song  :lol

Mirror Mirror obviously was a huge riot, and usually it's the last song so I was so glad, as I was hoping and guessing, that we could get an extra song, and especially Valhalla. I can't remember the last time I heard the studio version of the song and probably I will never hear Follow the Blind again but man, being finally at a gig and seeing Blind Guardian kick ass and hearing a song with such a bombastic chorus, it was a tremendously energetic experience, screw the overplayed factor of it  :metal :metal :metal

Amazing show worth alone the price of admission!!!

(Here's another photo of the show, I was somewhere on the far right relatively close to the stage)

Jealous of the concert location for sure! That is awesome. And SFB is a great set. I was surprised they don't play one of the new songs during the festival tour, but them playing SFB in full means you are getting some live rarities anyways.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #825 on: June 25, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
Hansi is great live, I think he's lost weight and looks healthier than he did 20 years ago.
He seems to be in control and very comfortable with his range now too.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #826 on: August 30, 2022, 05:13:32 AM »
The album will arrive in a couple of days! Hopefully my pre-orders will arrive soon  :biggrin:

I saw some behind the scenes stuff and it was nice to see Marcela and I believe Marjan (?) there. It seems Blind Guardian has surrounded themselves with Ayreon-related talents.

In the meantime they had some stuff released:

The studio version of Violent Shadows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpF6VjIC-8
A Metal Hammer Magazine CD, including some rehearsal takes of older songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4J69tNlo4E

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2022, 07:50:46 AM »
I'm pretty excited for the album  :metal

Offline Skeever

« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2022, 08:24:48 AM »
I'm listening to the compilation album today. First time I've listened to BG in several years, honestly, and want to get into the headspace to enjoy the album!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #829 on: September 01, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
Well, well, well...

I walked down to the record store at lunch and, low and behold, one of the longboxes was sitting on the shelf.
They sold it to me, without comment or question  :biggrin:

Listening to it now... it's very good! Good sound, lots of energy.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #830 on: September 01, 2022, 12:13:01 PM »
Well, well, well...

I walked down to the record store at lunch and, low and behold, one of the longboxes was sitting on the shelf.

Oh man, I miss being able to "walk down to the record store" so much...

Very curious to hear this. What I have heard from the (too many!) songs that were released didn't blow me away, but there's always good stuff to be found on a BG album...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #831 on: September 01, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
Well, well, well...

Oh man, I miss being able to "walk down to the record store" so much...

Very curious to hear this. What I have heard from the (too many!) songs that were released didn't blow me away, but there's always good stuff to be found on a BG album...

I'm know right? I felt like I was in a time warp from 10 years ago. Wasn't even looking for it/expecting it, just a (mostly) vinyl place I like to visit once a month or so...

Album is great, but not sure what people have heard already. I have been waiting for the full thing, and I felt good about it. It reminded me a bit of Imaginations from the Other Side.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #832 on: September 02, 2022, 08:33:37 AM »
Good first impression. I wasn't expecting it based on three of the already released songs, but this album has plenty of modern proggy sounding BG and fresh elements. It has a Night at The Opera and Twist of the Myth feel to it in some songs. I think some of the choruses in particular don't feel like they could've been on BG albums of the past. It is also one of the better sounding Blind Guardian albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: September 02, 2022, 07:30:24 PM »
Really liking the new album. I'm not really a Blind Guardian guy, so I can't say it sounds like this album or that album. Hansi's voice isn't nearly a grating and there's not that BG wall of sound. Fells a bit more riffy. I like it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #834 on: September 02, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »
Listening now. Finally, some hearkening back to the first 2 records with some speed metal. Finally again, so glad they had Joost mix this. It's not a muddy mess.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #835 on: September 03, 2022, 09:13:56 PM »
Picked the Earbook up in person today from Utopia Records in Sydney.
First thing I noticed compared to the 20 odd EB I have, have cheap and flimsy it felt when flicking through the pages.
Now the important part, the music, love the huge sound and the mix sounds pretty good for modern metal.
So glad Charlie Bauerfeind kept his fat sticky fingers away from this mix, he's butchered the last few BG and recent Helloween albums, to the point of  :censored

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #836 on: September 03, 2022, 09:28:44 PM »
This is a ripping album. Really enjoyed that first listen. Now, don't take so long until the next one.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #837 on: September 04, 2022, 03:54:36 AM »
Still having a blast with the album. And it is probably their most intense record overall since Imaginations.

I really hope they keep this approach for audio production from now on. Finally a Blind Guardian record where I don't have to get used to the weird sound.

Picked the Earbook up in person today from Utopia Records in Sydney.
First thing I noticed compared to the 20 odd EB I have, have cheap and flimsy it felt when flicking through the pages.
Now the important part, the music, love the huge sound and the mix sounds pretty good for modern metal.
So glad Charlie Bauerfeind kept his fat sticky fingers away from this mix, he's butchered the last few BG and recent Helloween albums, to the point of  :censored

Too bad to hear that the earbook is a bit flimsy. My preorder from the Blind Guardian store has been delayed (postal services have a massive shortage of personnel here, it is what it is). But I did pay 35 euros for the earbook, which is 15 euros less than the usual ones. Perhaps it is deliberately a cheaper product?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #838 on: September 04, 2022, 06:54:15 AM »
Was on vacation, heard it today for the first time. Overall good first impression, Secrets of the American Gods feels like the standout track to me. Gotta dig into the other ones I didn't know yet.

I'm glad I didn't overplay the single, I want to preserve the "whole album" feel as much as possible.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #839 on: September 05, 2022, 03:46:59 AM »
This album is great. Really enjoyed the ride last night.