Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95192 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #840 on: September 05, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »
I bought the album but only listened a bit, but liked what I heard.  Being a holiday weekend in the US, I just haven't had that time to sit back and listen fully.  Reading what everyone has said here is really good news though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #841 on: September 05, 2022, 12:48:39 PM »
I really can't think of when Blind Guardian have ever really disappointed me. Not that I am some kind of Hardcore fan but I've been listening to them for at least 20 years now, I still remember all the negativity around A Twist in the Myth and I couldn't understand why because I thought it was a pretty good album, with Fly being one of their funnest singles ever.

The only thing I have not listened to is the orchestral album, and I don't care to. I love classical music, but it doesn't matter who is at the helm, classical albums composed and orchestrated by rock musicians always strike me as incredibly bland and blocky.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #842 on: September 05, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »
Listened at work. Didn't get the whole experience because I only had one earphone in, but nothing really caught my ear. I haven't been impressed with Blind Guardian's work since At the Edge of Time. I think they lost me. Hansi still sounds amazing though.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #843 on: September 06, 2022, 04:21:08 AM »
I wonder what happened to the release schedule, as the album was finished and mastered well over a year ago as per the earbook credits. I hope they keep this approach. Charlie Bauerfeind did play a large role and was the main producer, but Joost mixed it and someone else mastered it.

I prefer the heavy vocals version of Let it be No More (bonus track). Differences are subtle and don't expect an actually heavy version, but the added grit to me works better for this song and make the verses connect more to the chorus.

On a sidenote, I think the Nuclear Blast boxset I just received looks great. It has the original commissioned album cover and I personally prefer it as the cover. The band ultimately preferred another work by the artist and went for that design as the cover. Overall I am glad they are working with different artists these days (the Imaginations earbook from a while ago was nicely done).

I really can't think of when Blind Guardian have ever really disappointed me. Not that I am some kind of Hardcore fan but I've been listening to them for at least 20 years now, I still remember all the negativity around A Twist in the Myth and I couldn't understand why because I thought it was a pretty good album, with Fly being one of their funnest singles ever.

The only thing I have not listened to is the orchestral album. I love classical music, but it doesn't matter who is at the helm, classical albums composed and orchestrated by rock musicians always strike me as incredibly bland and blocky.

I enjoy the orchestral album. Not peak BG by any means, but there are a couple of gems on it that are mainstays in my playlists. Harvester of Souls is a top tier BG track and I prefer it to the At The Edge of Time (same song at it's core).

I don't consider it classical music. Choirs and orchestras don't necessarily mean something is classical music. That to me is like saying all music with an electric guitar is rock n roll, or something like that. It feels more like a film/game soundtrack with Hansi singing, sometimes venturing slightly into musical/Disney territory. As with their metal, it is hard to find somethine quite like it. The only thing I can think of that really kind of feels the same are the orchestral versions of some songs on Sonata Arctica's The Days of Gray. Since I have listened a lot to the orchestral version of Deathaura and As if The World Wasn't Ending on that album, I think I am of the specific crowd that enjoys this approach.

My biggest gripe with the album overall is the sound, they kinda produced it like a power metal album without the guitars. A sound with more natural sounding choirs and harmonies would've served the album better. 

Picked the Earbook up in person today from Utopia Records in Sydney.
First thing I noticed compared to the 20 odd EB I have, have cheap and flimsy it felt when flicking through the pages.
Now the important part, the music, love the huge sound and the mix sounds pretty good for modern metal.
So glad Charlie Bauerfeind kept his fat sticky fingers away from this mix, he's butchered the last few BG and recent Helloween albums, to the point of  :censored

I got my earbook. Thankfully i don't think it feels too cheap or flimsy, but I get what you mean. My Ayreon earbooks have a higher quality feel to them and are less glossy. Interestingly the God Machine vinyl booklet is sizable with the same content (on first glance at least) and of higher quality paper, it does make the earbook feel a bit redundant for me. But I am glad the vinyl version is well done.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #844 on: September 13, 2022, 04:30:55 AM »
Know enough of their work to comment and wouldn't consider myself a BG fan by any means but was so taken by the last Demons & Wizards album was keen to hear this one and as was on a major Megadeth run since release day only gave The God Machine a background listen.  Have just today finally gave it the attention it needed playing it a few times through and, well...

Holy shit! :o

This is fucking epic! :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #845 on: September 13, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
The album is slowly growing on me.

I still think that Secrets of the American Gods is the best song. Deliver us from Evil and Violent Shadows are the best of the fast ones, I'm also warming up to Life Beyond the Spheres.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #846 on: September 13, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »

I still think that Secrets of the American Gods is the best song. Deliver us from Evil and Violent Shadows are the best of the fast ones, I'm also warming up to Life Beyond the Spheres.

Agreed. As I mentioned in the ...listening thread, another favorite of mine is Damnation. It's an excellent "second track", with great riffs and a memorable chorus.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: September 13, 2022, 08:42:25 AM »

Same. I listened a bunch since I last posted here.  It's a good album, but really nothing has stuck out too much to be "top BG".  But the album as a whole really is starting to grow on me.  I also think Secrets of the American Gods may be my favorite on the album.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #848 on: January 24, 2023, 03:49:52 AM »
Gave At the Edge of Time a spin the other dday. Man, I love this album to pieces. It's so good.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #849 on: January 24, 2023, 08:59:08 AM »
Gave At the Edge of Time a spin the other dday. Man, I love this album to pieces. It's so good.

Their last good album.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #850 on: January 24, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »

I think it's the perfect balance between the symphonic influences, and the heavy metal roots. Beyond the Red Mirror was waaaay too tilted toward the complexity (even the storyline was a mess to understand) and the orchestrations. The God Machine is quite ok but not on At the Edge of Time levels.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 24, 2023, 12:01:04 PM »

I think it's the perfect balance between the symphonic influences, and the heavy metal roots. Beyond the Red Mirror was waaaay too tilted toward the complexity (even the storyline was a mess to understand) and the orchestrations. The God Machine is quite ok but not on At the Edge of Time levels.

Yeah, I agree with you on this.  The God Machine is pretty good so I can't say it's the last good BG album, but At the Edge of Time may be the last BEST BG album  :biggrin: It's probably my second favorite album of theirs.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #852 on: January 24, 2023, 04:38:35 PM »
At The Edge of Time is amazing, a great balance between all the elements that make them great and probably their most well paced/flowing album.

The God Machine is still a frequent spin for me, it was a welcome change at this point in their career. Intense, riff/guitar driven, not many vocal layers/symphonic bombast for a modern BG album. I think the fast/intense tracks are some of the best in their careers (Deliver Us From Evil, Blood of the Elves, Violent Shadows). Interestingly Secrets of the American Gods is my least favourite track, which seems to be a fan favourite online.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: January 24, 2023, 04:46:22 PM »
I'd have to respin At the Edge of Time.  Never did anything for me from memory.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #854 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:32 AM »
At the Edge of Time is great, but The God Machine is almost just as good. Both have great balance between classic kickass aggressive BG, which are just as good as any 90's track, and epic songs, midpaced songs, and ballads. I dare say Let It Be No More is their best ballad since Lord of the Rings.

ATEOT >TGM > ANATO = ATITM > BTRM as far as post 2000's albums go.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2023, 04:31:56 AM »
Interestingly Secrets of the American Gods is my least favourite track, which seems to be a fan favourite online.

It's my favourite track of the album  ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #856 on: January 25, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
Can't say I'm a fan of BG, only heard Imaginations From the Other Side before, and some odd songs (most popular ones), but this latest album is great. Can't really pick my favorite, I like all of them :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #857 on: October 04, 2023, 01:50:21 AM »
So, in the spirit of the necrothread-icity of this topic, I bring it back from its slumber, for yesterday I have seen Blind Guardian live  :metal

The good: being in third row and seeing them close, overall good performance (not Hansi's best but still more than acceptable), hearing again some old classics that were missing (it was 7 years since their last show in my hometown, and the previous italian show was dedicated to play Somewhere Far Beyond in full so not much room for much else), and more generally knowing that you can count on a band you follow since so many years to let you have a good time.

The bad: the sounds. GEEZ IT WAS LOUD, I can't imagine how people without earplugs must feel, ringing in their ears for 48 hours I believe! Blind Guardian is a band I follow since the last millennium, I know the classics inside out and in my sleep, and there were times when I lost track of what was going on in the songs because of the absurd wall of exagerate sound. I mean, I know the songs like you all know Pull Me Under, imagine losing track of what's going on in Pull Me Under because the volume is too loud.

All in all I'm glad I saw them again, as I said BG are one of my die hard, longest-following bands, and knowing that from time to time you can have a great evening and sing The Bard's Song all together is amazing  :metal they still have a lot to offer and even though Marcus' hair is grey and Hansi sometimes struggled (Who was even able to scrutiny his performance anyway, with that exagerated volume), they're far from giving me the feeling of "eh, they're getting old as well". Long live one of the best and most consistent german bands!  :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: October 04, 2023, 08:22:33 AM »
Interesting setlist they are doing.

I just want them to come back to the US.  It's been too long. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #859 on: December 03, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
US/CAN Tour

04/18/2024  US    Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore
04/19/2024  US    Norfolk, VA – The NorVa
04/20/2024  US    Charlotte, NC – The Underground
04/21/2024  US    Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade
04/23/2024  US    Dallas, TX – The Factory
04/24/2024  US    Austin, TX – Emo’s
04/26/2024  US    Phoenix, AZ – Cresent Ballroom
04/27/2024  US    Los Angeles, CA – The Belasco
04/28/2024  US    San Francisco, CA – The Regency Ballroom
04/30/2024  US    Portland, OR – The Roseland Theater
05/01/2024  US    Seattle, WA – The Showbox Market
05/03/2024  US    Salt Lake City, UT – The Complex
05/04/2024  US    Denver, CO – The Summit Music Hall
05/06/2024  US    Minneapolis, MN – The Varsity Theater
05/07/2024  US    Des Moines, IA – Wooly’s
05/09/2024  CAN  Toronto, ON – Rebel
05/10/2024  CAN  Montreal, QC – L’Olympia
05/11/2024  US    Worcester, MA – The Palladium
05/12/2024  US    New York, NY – The Palladium
05/14/2024  US    Harrisburg, PA – HMAC
05/16/2024  US    Cleveland, OH – Agora Theater
05/17/2024  US    Milwaukee, WI – Milwaukee Metal Fest*
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #860 on: December 08, 2023, 04:26:27 AM »
Why no Dutch concerts this year (and next year?)  :huh: :sadpanda:

We got that little cheap show that was supposed to be a try out last year, and that was it. And while they were great, the venue fucking sucked (basically a refitted barn with the shittiest sound I had in years).

So, in the spirit of the necrothread-icity of this topic, I bring it back from its slumber, for yesterday I have seen Blind Guardian live  :metal

The good: being in third row and seeing them close, overall good performance (not Hansi's best but still more than acceptable), hearing again some old classics that were missing (it was 7 years since their last show in my hometown, and the previous italian show was dedicated to play Somewhere Far Beyond in full so not much room for much else), and more generally knowing that you can count on a band you follow since so many years to let you have a good time.

The bad: the sounds. GEEZ IT WAS LOUD, I can't imagine how people without earplugs must feel, ringing in their ears for 48 hours I believe! Blind Guardian is a band I follow since the last millennium, I know the classics inside out and in my sleep, and there were times when I lost track of what was going on in the songs because of the absurd wall of exagerate sound. I mean, I know the songs like you all know Pull Me Under, imagine losing track of what's going on in Pull Me Under because the volume is too loud.

All in all I'm glad I saw them again, as I said BG are one of my die hard, longest-following bands, and knowing that from time to time you can have a great evening and sing The Bard's Song all together is amazing  :metal they still have a lot to offer and even though Marcus' hair is grey and Hansi sometimes struggled (Who was even able to scrutiny his performance anyway, with that exagerated volume), they're far from giving me the feeling of "eh, they're getting old as well". Long live one of the best and most consistent german bands!  :hefdaddy

From the clips I saw of recent concerts I think they sounded good. That period post covid after years of vocal rest is probably not something Hansi will top again (that Rock Hard stream of Somewhere Far Beyond concert was something else, and Hellfest was great too).