Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 94388 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #595 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
Nightfall is my fave BG and one of my all time top ten metal albums, love every second of it  ;D

The orchestral album is going to be milked to the hilt by NB, counted at least 10 different versions already.
Looks as though the 4CD set is already gone, get it fast, although we know this stuff is bound to get a reissue somewhere down the line.

I'm a huge fan of metal bands doing orchestral only stuff, Nightwish, Septicflesh and even Sabaton (new album) have done it and quite good too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: July 20, 2019, 04:30:20 AM »
Dunno what to think of this one.  To be honest, I haven't liked much of what BG have been doing since Opera but I'll try this one with an open mind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #597 on: July 20, 2019, 04:44:52 AM »
The snippets sound amazing!!!

The only very minor downside is that, thanks to the orchestral influences BG used in the latest years, those snippets sound like the rehearsal stage of stuff like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time - meaning, that you could almost expect the full band coming in at a point.

I mean, I know it won't happen, it's Hansi + orchestra only, but I hope they will stand on their own without giving away too much the "eh, I can almost imagine here the guitars and the drums" vibe since it sounds really BG-ish so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #598 on: July 20, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
Be nice if there's some nuggets in the compositions paying homage towards past Blind Guardian songs. I would love an orchestral snippet that references the chorus of ATTWS for example...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #599 on: July 20, 2019, 04:48:08 PM »
Hopefully there'll be references to what Faythe and Xander are up to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: July 21, 2019, 04:01:26 AM »
The snippets sound amazing!!!

The only very minor downside is that, thanks to the orchestral influences BG used in the latest years, those snippets sound like the rehearsal stage of stuff like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time - meaning, that you could almost expect the full band coming in at a point.

I mean, I know it won't happen, it's Hansi + orchestra only, but I hope they will stand on their own without giving away too much the "eh, I can almost imagine here the guitars and the drums" vibe since it sounds really BG-ish so far.

Really?  I didn't know that.  Now I really dunno what to think.  Will check the snippet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: July 21, 2019, 04:16:48 AM »
I watched the trailer.  Can pretty much garuntee that this will be something that doesn't interest me, but the whole thing does seem pretty neat.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #602 on: July 21, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »
If it's Hansi plus orchestra only, it's going to be like We Are Sentinels, and that didn't interest me at all. I need metal with my orchestra.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #603 on: July 21, 2019, 10:52:10 AM »
If it's Hansi plus orchestra only, it's going to be like We Are Sentinels, and that didn't interest me at all. I need metal with my orchestra.

Interesting take. I'm not sure what to think. I loved Sentinels, but Barlow is Barlow. Hansi is no Barlow. As I am still new to the world of BG, this is not an auto-buy for me. I will probably wait until I can check out more samples. The completest in me will probably buy it either way but I need a bit more first.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »

Interesting take. I'm not sure what to think. I loved Sentinels, but Barlow is Barlow. Hansi is no Barlow. As I am still new to the world of BG, this is not an auto-buy for me. I will probably wait until I can check out more samples. The completest in me will probably buy it either way but I need a bit more first.

This is interesting to me because I thought WAS was boring as hell and Barlow sounded strained, whereas from the clips in the trailer, this sounds phenomenal to me. Hansi's no Barlow, certainly, but he's a god damn legend in his own right.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #605 on: July 21, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
If it is indeed Hansi only (Andre's involvement being?), really it is not a legitimate BG album, and the Blind Guardian name is being used as a 'brand' to sell this?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »
If it is indeed Hansi only (Andre's involvement being?), really it is not a legitimate BG album, and the Blind Guardian name is being used as a 'brand' to sell this?

Andre was heavily involved with the composing of the record as well. Considering the spirit of BG is almost entirely both Hansi and Andre, IMO think this counts as a legitimate BG album. Not a metal record, maybe, but BG for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: July 21, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

Yeah, I thought this too.  With Hansi and the orchestra only putting the BG name on it is very misleading.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #608 on: July 21, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
NOT INTERESTED.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: July 21, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
NOT INTERESTED.

Open your mind!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #610 on: July 21, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
It was until I heard it wasn't Blind Guardian playing. I don't like Hansi's voice enough to listen to a symphony (which I also don't care for).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: July 21, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
It was until I heard it wasn't Blind Guardian playing. I don't like Hansi's voice enough to listen to a symphony (which I also don't care for).

Symphonies rule, brah. Especially the ones about enchanted lands.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: July 21, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
Sad to say, I'm not terribly interested either.  I'll check it out, but right now, I'm not interested in buying it because I really don't think it's something I would continue to listen to.  I thought some of those clips sounded cool with Hansi, his voice is really awesome, but I just have no interest in a full on orchestral album.  Give me the full band and an orchestra and I'll give you money, but this just seems like a project that maybe isn't meant for me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #613 on: July 21, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
One thing I am looking forward to is the albums actual sonics.
Recent BG albums have had way too much compression on them and sound pretty flat in places.
Without the loud metallic instruments, I hope that Charlie Bauerfeind allows the orchestra to have a huge sound.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #614 on: July 22, 2019, 01:00:27 AM »

Well, it's Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra to be precise.

Andrè helped with the songwriting.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #615 on: July 22, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Yeah, it has always been a Hansi and Andre thing I think. Perhaps more Hansi than Andre, but I think that just seems so because Hansi is the frontman that usually does the talking. In the past I know they were considering calling it something else than Blind Guardian, but personally I feel that a fantasy themed concept with Hansi singing and big choirs is already very BG. The focus is different, but these elements have also been a part of BG's sound for a very long time. Earlier this year, or last year, Hansi said they had enough material for two albums, but my bet is that they merged it into a two disc release (which is the best option).

Snippet sounds good, anticipation levels are slowly rising. I love the presence of the narrators and the fact they got an established fantasy writer to be involved. Anyways, as someone who listens to game/film soundtracks and classical music fairly frequently, I don't need guitars in my music to love it.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2019, 07:02:27 PM »
Still regularly listening to the first two. Just really enjoying them.

Re-listened to Tales From The Twilight World and liked it much more the second time around. About halfway through Somewhere Far Beyond and no complaints there either.

Went back to the same eBay seller that I got the entire 2019 2-disc studio album set from and picked up the 2019 2-disc versions of Tokyo Tales, Live and Forgotten Tales. Skipped the newest live album for now.

I can't get Majesty and Valhalla out of my head. They are ear worms that I find myself singing constantly.

So, I have been on a bit of a break (for those that care) in my BG journey as I stumbled onto Ihsahn and went and bought his entire solo discography and have been focusing on that.

Here is where I am right now. I have listened up to Nightfall. These are my early rankings based on a very loose scale as it's still early.

Battalions of Fear - Love
Follow the Blind - Love
Tales from the Twilight World - Pretty Good
Somewhere Far Beyond - Great
Imaginations from the Other Side - Pretty Good (I know, people love this. Only 1 or 2 listens so far)
Nightfall in Middle-Earth - Pretty Good (segues are nice the first time, unnecessary after that)

Something cool that I noticed is that since I bought all of the 2 disc 2019 reissues, the spines make up a cool picture on my CD shelf. The thing that bothers me though, is that the last 3 releases that I bought - the 2 live albums and Forgotten Tales - have to be at the end for the picture to work. They can't be placed in release order, yet they are also a part of the image. Drives my OCD a bit crazy. The image is essentially the hooded dude from Forgotten holding up the book in his hands that he is writing in on the cover of that record.

Once I finish my detour into Ihsahn I will return to BG.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
Would love to hear your opinion on Ihsahn, his solo album's are quite varied.
My fave is Arktis.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »
Would love to hear your opinion on Ihsahn, his solo album's are quite varied.
My fave is Arktis.

Looks like he has his own thread. I will bump that one when I am ready. I have heard 4 of the 7 so far and I am loving his work. I still have The Adversary, After and then I am saving Das Seelenbrechen for the last record as I am aware it is challenging.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2019, 09:56:10 PM »
Yes 'Das' is his most diverse and not what you would expect.
I was playing it on Monday and I though wow how did he ever come up with this stuff?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #620 on: August 22, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
After considering myself to be a very 'casual' Blind Guardian fan for the past seven years or so, the band finally clicked for me in a big way over the past week. Too early to give my definitive album rankings for the band's discography, but surprisingly I think my current favorite is probably Somewhere Far Beyond. I'd always imagined that album to be significantly 'cheerier' sounding than it actually is, considering its legacy as a power metal album, but I was pleasantly surprised by the album's rather dark vibe. Also IMO the band was already putting in some impressive proggy elements there.

My second favorite, for now, is Nightfall. I really love a lot of the individual songs on Imagination and the darker vibe that album has, but it feels a little... disorganized? The album doesn't quite flow as smoothly as SFB and Nightfall both do IMO, despite its incredible highs. Oddly enough A Night at the Opera, the BG album I typically went to when I was a casual fan, is the album I've been a bit hesitant to revisit. :lol

Also at the risk of being a tad excessive, I picked up all three of the band's live albums. While I need to give Live more time to sink in, I'm head over heels for Tokyo Tales. It's this close to being one of my new all-time fave live albums... if only it had Ashes to Ashes and the title track off of Somewhere Far Beyond on there. :lol I'd be interested in hearing The Bard's Song on there too, but that song's on Live and Live Beyond the Spheres so that isn't as big a loss. I'm tempted to say the same of Live not including And Then There Was Silence, which would probably tilt that into Alive in Athens territory.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #621 on: August 23, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »
After considering myself to be a very 'casual' Blind Guardian fan for the past seven years or so, the band finally clicked for me in a big way over the past week. Too early to give my definitive album rankings for the band's discography, but surprisingly I think my current favorite is probably Somewhere Far Beyond. I'd always imagined that album to be significantly 'cheerier' sounding than it actually is, considering its legacy as a power metal album, but I was pleasantly surprised by the album's rather dark vibe. Also IMO the band was already putting in some impressive proggy elements there.

My second favorite, for now, is Nightfall. I really love a lot of the individual songs on Imagination and the darker vibe that album has, but it feels a little... disorganized? The album doesn't quite flow as smoothly as SFB and Nightfall both do IMO, despite its incredible highs. Oddly enough A Night at the Opera, the BG album I typically went to when I was a casual fan, is the album I've been a bit hesitant to revisit. :lol

Also at the risk of being a tad excessive, I picked up all three of the band's live albums. While I need to give Live more time to sink in, I'm head over heels for Tokyo Tales. It's this close to being one of my new all-time fave live albums... if only it had Ashes to Ashes and the title track off of Somewhere Far Beyond on there. :lol I'd be interested in hearing The Bard's Song on there too, but that song's on Live and Live Beyond the Spheres so that isn't as big a loss. I'm tempted to say the same of Live not including And Then There Was Silence, which would probably tilt that into Alive in Athens territory.

Imaginations Through the Looking Glass is on par with Alive in Athens, and includes ATTWS and SFB.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: August 23, 2019, 07:32:52 AM »
Imaginations Through the Looking Glass DVD is the first BG thing I owned.  It blew me away.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #623 on: August 23, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »
Imaginations Through the Looking Glass DVD is the first BG thing I owned.  It blew me away.

I'm on it  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #624 on: August 28, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »

Imaginations Through the Looking Glass is on par with Alive in Athens, and includes ATTWS and SFB.

Kind of stunned that it hasn't been released on a CD/MP3 format. Definitely a top notch performance from the Bards!

Also, still not entirely sure about my absolute favorite BG album yet, but I've finally checked out A Night at the Opera again and it holds up ridiculously well. Far and away the proggiest the band's ever been and I'd say it's hands down Hansi's finest hour as a singer overall.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #625 on: August 28, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »

Kind of stunned that it hasn't been released on a CD/MP3 format. Definitely a top notch performance from the Bards!

Also, still not entirely sure about my absolute favorite BG album yet, but I've finally checked out A Night at the Opera again and it holds up ridiculously well. Far and away the proggiest the band's ever been and I'd say it's hands down Hansi's finest hour as a singer overall.

Technically they did release it on CD, but only apart of that box set. But...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
The mix of ATTWS on that DVD is bad imo, so I never go to that version. Obviously it's hard to recreate the orchestral depth of that track live, nevermind the choir vocals, but the mix itself just sounds wimpy to me. When I saw them play it in person in 2010, however, that was another story. Right up front for it and it was heavy as hell. I'm still not sure if I prefer the remastered version, because the updated vocals aren't quite as interesting and they're too up front in the mix. I don't think they've ever figured out how to perfect the mix on that song.  :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
The mix of ATTWS on that DVD is bad imo, so I never go to that version. Obviously it's hard to recreate the orchestral depth of that track live, nevermind the choir vocals, but the mix itself just sounds wimpy to me. When I saw them play it in person in 2010, however, that was another story. Right up front for it and it was heavy as hell. I'm still not sure if I prefer the remastered version, because the updated vocals aren't quite as interesting and they're too up front in the mix. I don't think they've ever figured out how to perfect the mix on that song.  :lol

Yeah, same for the whole album. For the remix, they lowered the drums too much. They did that on IFTOS as well. Brought up the lead guitar, and lowered the drums... I believe I first heard the title track on Live, so when I listened to the studio version, I was disappointed that the lead guitar parts during the chorus weren't there. Nope, they were just too damn low in the mix.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
Since that live DVD was my first time hearing those songs, I kind of disagree, but it may simply be because of that.  When I finally got ANATO after IFTLG, I thought all those layered vocals really were too much when I got accustomed without it.  It goes for all those tracks on both that live album and ANATO.  I'm actually not much of a fan of the production on ANATO at all.  It sounds too bloated to me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
ANATO is easily their worst sounding album, if we just concern the mix, next to maybe their debut and that gets a pass because it was a speed metal about from the late 80s. ANATO was a 2002 record and the band was huge, I'm still puzzled as to how that record came out sounding the way it does  :lol