Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 94921 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #385 on: July 29, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
Hansi quite improved over the last year. There was a time 5-10 years ago when he really was a random mess of "I'll suddenly lower the vocal line", now he's more consistent both in the high notes, and in picking what to sing high and what low.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #386 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
So, several new things.

First, in celebration of the new rereleases, they are uploading a series of videos where they sit down and talk about the history of their classic albums. The first is about their early demo's and Battalions of Fear. It is rather in-depth, has classic footage spread throughout, and features the classic formation, which means Thomen is present. While I am usually a music type of guy and don't delve much into the history of an artist, I think this is done very well. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VugxcUccts.

Secondly, the upcoming Rock Hard magazine will contain a special bonus disc, featuring Tides of War, which is a takeout from Nightfall of Middle Earth (don't know if it is a new recording and don't know if it is the track also included for the upcoming rerelease of NiME). Furthermore, it has 5 live tracks from the Rock Hard 2016 performance (which is excellent, and I linked to it last page).

https://www.facebook.com/rockhardmegazine/photos/a.432834706326/10156415304051327/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAY6vDreYUxkUJA2UzFo_X7-0YiVDH524PcW6sHTct70qPOAg8AyJ5s20_xOmZxrlyO4MiaT-5qQr4tJ43VBLfbG8vRbCT-lrJ3MN9mmQFyU8I45qoiafnQARpFhbgGTsmOHOeFHFtdul5fRkOBg8aBVHgEn8QzmZ88_th7-9pNrJ3CeKLK9Io&__tn__=EHH-R

And, finally, Bloodstock has uploaded the full 2017 set on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0P0hjvmkzY

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
Also, they've finally announced the release date for the orchestral pr...... uh wait  ;D

Anyway, it's big news that a track from NIME surfaces! can't believe it's 20 years by now, that album was such a milestone and a landmark. If not themselves, a cover band crazy enough to afford multiple singers and actors should perform the entire album, interludes included.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #388 on: September 19, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Sooooo who's gonna be the beautiful, kind, loving soul that acquires this disc for me? Will pay.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
I'll have to check out that documentary, sounds cool.

I'd love to hear that "new" NIME track, but I don't plan on buying that magazine/CD just for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
So I was going to buy the Blind Guardian 2018 Remasters on Amazon.

But I decided I would buy the mp3 albums. Except when it goes in my cart, it says 2007 Remaster. WTF??

I would buy the CDs except two of the first four are $18.98. I'm not paying that.

Are the 2018 Remasters not available as mp3 purchases on Amazon. Has anyone else bought these?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
Here's the official details, but sometimes Amazon has the wrong listings. I've seen several negative reviews over the years pertaining to that.

https://www.blind-guardian.com/2018/06/22/pre-order-start-for-the-re-issued-back-catalog-2cd-digi-and-vinyl/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2018, 03:46:24 PM »
Thanks Zook, but I have the details. I just don't want to buy a 2007 Remaster when they have 2018 Remasters. Looks like if I want them, I have to buy the CD. It's just I'm not paying f'n $19 for them. It's weird that two are listed for $13.49, and two are listed for $18.98. I just buy them outright if they were all the lower price.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
TAC, your tastes line up with mine about as well as anyone on this forum. You recommend? I have had this band on my "Check these guys out" queue forever but haven't been too enthralled with the little I have heard so far.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »
TAC, your tastes line up with mine about as well as anyone on this forum. You recommend? I have had this band on my "Check these guys out" queue forever but haven't been too enthralled with the little I have heard so far.

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have ANY BG albums nor have I ever been into them.

Back around '99-'00, I went through a downloading phase. I downloaded a couple of their albums, and they just didn't hook me. I thought they sounded a bit busy, and I'm wasn't totally sold on Hansi's voice. But then again, I think the files were crappy too.

I was actually using these 2018 Remasters as a jumping in point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »

I'm not TAC - duh - but what have you heard? BG is like one of the few metal bands that seems to have near universal appeal for all metalheads who venture deeper than Metallica and Megadeth and Maiden, so I'm interested in what you know.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Good question. Back in my "downloading phase" I dl'ed some of their stuff but as I only knew their name I didn't know where to start. I'd have to check my files to see what of theirs I do currently possess. I need to give them a good, honest listen, meaning not in the car or when I am working not paying much attention which is probably all I have afforded them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2018, 05:33:39 PM »
It's really hard to suggest just a few songs to check out because they started off as speed metal, then became super power metally, then lately have been adding a lot of symphonic elements to their works. Depending on what you're looking for or like/dislike, you have a lot of places to start. They really do have something for almost everyone, even their ballads are loved by metalheads.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Seems the 2007 Remasters are only $9.99 for the CD. I think I'll start at the beginning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
Just ordered the first 5 albums. If anyone gives a shit, maybe I'll post as I listen to them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
I think Live is a good place to start, although it took awhile for me to even get into that. I discovered Blind Guardian through Iced Earth, and their styles aren't exactly the same. Once it clicked, it allowed me to ease into their studio albums. Going from live versions of the Opera tracks to studio is a bit jarring though, so be prepared.

I'd say start with Live, Imaginations, Nightfall, and A Night at the Opera. Personally I'd avoid the first couple. Twilight World is good, but I never really cared for Somewhere Far Beyond. At The Edge of Time is a great return to form after the disappointing Twist in the Myth. The only songs I'd recommend from the first two are Majesty, Valhalla, and Banish from Sanctuary. The studio version of Banish is fine, but the live versions of the other two are where it's at.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
I'm starting at the beginning and will be listening in chronological order. My cds should arrive on Sunday, but I started with Battalions Of Fear on Spotify. Only 3 or 4 songs through, and this is fantastic. This album is a cross between Walls Of Jericho and Show No Mercy. Loving it so far.

Wow, does Run For The Night remind me of Ride The Sky..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:14:59 PM by TAC »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2018, 01:44:46 AM »
Just ordered the first 5 albums. If anyone gives a shit, maybe I'll post as I listen to them.

Please do. While I love everything Blind Guardian has put out, the first 5 albums are my favorite period. The run from Battalions of Fear through Imaginations is speed-turned-power-metal perfection, Imaginations imo being one of the best metal albums of all time, and many songs on the other 4 being some of the best speed metal out there. And while they're great, 'Tokyo Tales' makes every single one of those songs better, one of the rare instances in which I find a live metal album to be superior to the studio versions in every way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2018, 03:22:30 AM »
My first song was BATTLEFIELD!!!! I really wish they'd play that song.

Then I bought their live album...and got introduced to...

The Bard's Song...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2018, 06:27:41 AM »
After one listen, this album is great. Probably like Majesty, Guardian Of The Blind, and the title track the most. I'm going to give each album a few spins before moving onto the next. I really like this. How did I miss this??

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2018, 06:40:47 AM »
After one listen, this album is great. Probably like Majesty, Guardian Of The Blind, and the title track the most. I'm going to give each album a few spins before moving onto the next. I really like this. How did I miss this??

Good picks. Those are my favorites too. Whooooooooa Majesty!!  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »

Yeah, I think the debut is a really cool album. More similar to other artists than their subsequent albums, but it flows really well and has great hooks.

Personally, Follow the Blind, the next one, is my least favourite. And the three albums after that are pure (power/speed) metal bliss.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
Anyone who wants to start with Blind Guardian should start with Imaginations from the Other Side. If you don't like that masterpiece, the band is not for you.

Then, if you like it heavy and hard, go back in time, with the previous Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales from the Twilight World. If you like it more progressive and polished, go forward, with Nightfall in Middle Earth, and then the more recent At the Edge of Time which is a current general idea of what the band is now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: September 23, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »
Imaginations is my favorite of theirs, it's like a perfect mix of their early sound with a mix of the sound they would more evolve into.  I was never crazy about the first couple BG albums, but they do get really good after that up until twist in the myth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »
Got the first 5 BG cds today. I just ordered the next 5 along with Tokyo Tales.

Hit Battalions for a third time today. That is a great album. I'm onto Follow The Blind. Listening to Banish From Sanctuary as I type this. :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
NO TURNING BAAAAACK :2metal:

That song is so metal. I was flabbergasted when I showed one of my coworkers this song (and a few others from this period) and he just thought they were "okay" even though he loves early Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden etc. Like... dafuq?

Imaginations is gonna rock your world, hopefully. Also I would strongly recommend Tokyo Tales. I rarely advocate live albums but that takes all the songs you're listening to now and makes them sound even bigger and louder and epic...er.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
I'm halfway through my second listen of Follow The Blind.

Banned and Damned are great. Picks right up where Battalions left off.

Not sure this album is as strong in total as Battalions.

Oh and WTF? Barbara Ann? That f'n blows. If you're going to do it, at least do a speed metal version...actually..don't do it at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
There's a guitar line from Banish From Sanctuary that is very similar to on in Maiden's Somewhere In Time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
Oh and WTF? Barbara Ann? That f'n blows. If you're going to do it, at least do a speed metal version...actually..don't do it at all.

This saddens me. Their cover of Barbara Ann is fun. Their entire 'Forgotten Tales' record has a bunch of great covers. I hope you check out their cover of Uriah Heep's The Wizard. They also do Mr. Sandman and even have a video for it which is amazing, and their cover of To France RULES.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
I was never really crazy about their covers, but Barbara Ann always seemed like a solid one IMO. 

And also I love both Tokyo Tales and Live.  I think they are a great live band and it shows on their live albums, and I love the Imaginations Through the Looking Glass DVD.  I actually got that before any of their albums and was just blown away.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #415 on: September 24, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
I think their covers for To France, The Wizard, and Dream a Little Dream are fantastic (which I vastly prefer over the originals). In Gadda Da Vida, Don't Talk to Strangers, Beyond the Realms of Death, and You're The Voice are pretty cool too. Barbara Ann is the band having some fun, but not that great (I love it as the encore on Tokyo Tales though). I prefer Surfin USA to it. Don't Break The Circle, Mr Sandman, and Spread Your Wings are decent but I can do without them.

Edit: forgot some covers I like so added them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:44:05 PM by ErHaO »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #416 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
C'mon, Mr. Sandman is awesome, starting just as the original and then degenerating into speed metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
C'mon, Mr. Sandman is awesome, starting just as the original and then degenerating into speed metal :metal

Fo shizzle. The music video is absurdly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQqtEmyLcyA

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »
Nothing beats Barbara Ann played live with a very drunk Jon Schaffer on stage, then off-stage, then wandering back on stage.   (from the 2011 70,000 Tons of Metal)

Edit - forgot the video link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nxRcuYAig

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
Sounds horrible, Grap.