Author Topic: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...  (Read 28972 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 6 first impressions!
« Reply #700 on: December 23, 2023, 12:16:47 PM »
Oh shit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #701 on: December 23, 2023, 12:20:11 PM »
Hopefully #10?

Litho beats lonestar!

King    (Kansas – Throwing Mountains)  Classic band with a modern sound, I only know one song by them but they sound just like that old song.
jingle.guy  (Kim Mitchell – Wishes)   Feels like a country song but this ain't bad, partner.
3.   Fun instrumental, very clean guitar tone. Feels happy.

TAC (The Reticent – Stage 3: The Palliative Breath)   I hate the topic of this song - it saddens me to the core, and how it can strike anyone. So this will be a hard listen every time. Music is pretty good though.
Puppies!    (Airbag – Sunsets)   I like the feel of this prog rock band. It feels like a good blend between the words "prog" and "rock".
6.   I will try, but this stuff is not my jam.

Lukaz   (Phoebe Bridgers – I Know the End)   I'm iffy on singer-songwriter stuff (or stuff that sounds like it), but I enjoyed ths one more than I usually would with that ending.
Ariich (Arch Echo – Measure of a Life)   Quality progressive metal instrumental, nice and clean. Great tones.
lonestar (Pyramid Theorem – Closer to the End)   Quality progressive metal, nice and clean. Great tones.
Litho (Daniel Tompkins – Stains of Betrayal)   The metal and atmospheric bits on top, with the great vocals...this is one to watch this round.
Stadler (Ozzy Osbourne – Ordinary Man (feat. Elton John)   This man is surprisingly alive and making new music even this far into his life. It's pretty good.
12.   This song was over before it got started but it sounds like a fun metal instrumental.

ReaperKK (Ethan Gruska – Maybe I'll Go Nowhere)   Very light and airy, feels like a lazy afternoon song.
14.   Vocals have a Maynard like quality that I like, the music is interesting, lots of movement and sounds that keep it interesting.

15.   Yeah, this is heavy and dark.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:48:54 PM by Jamesman42 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #702 on: December 23, 2023, 12:53:48 PM »
Gotta be 9 then.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: December 23, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »
2 or maybe 13?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #704 on: December 23, 2023, 02:00:24 PM »
8.   Quality progressive metal instrumental, nice and clean. Great tones.
9.   Quality progressive metal, nice and clean. Great tones.
:lol

Mine could be 8, or also 3.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #705 on: December 23, 2023, 03:49:56 PM »
Wishes surely is #2.  And yeah, you ain’t wrong …. I can totally hear that. But knowing Kim’s background and history of music, I never would’ve described that way in my own.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #706 on: December 23, 2023, 05:49:44 PM »
8.   Quality progressive metal instrumental, nice and clean. Great tones.
9.   Quality progressive metal, nice and clean. Great tones.
I chuckled writing it :)

Wishes surely is #2.  And yeah, you ain’t wrong …. I can totally hear that. But knowing Kim’s background and history of music, I never would’ve described that way in my own.

Why not? I did get the feel that there is something more to this artist, but I haven't sought out why.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #707 on: December 23, 2023, 08:06:40 PM »
First impressions are almost done, and I am 10/15 for writing final results with scores. With Christmas Eve being tomorrow, I will hold off on results until Tuesday just in case I can't get on here. I should be on tomorrow but I don't know if I will have results fully done, because I am going to bed now and tomorrow I gotta do stuff to get the kids ready for a nice Christmas morning.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #708 on: December 23, 2023, 08:08:33 PM »
Definitely 6 😁
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: December 23, 2023, 08:34:05 PM »
@ James. Kim Mitchell - both solo and Max Webster is most definitely rock ‘n’ roll. Max Webster toured with Rush in the 70s and early 80s.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #710 on: December 23, 2023, 08:40:06 PM »
I'm so old, I know what Chad is saying.

Hey Chad, might as we "Go for soda."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: December 23, 2023, 08:44:11 PM »
I'm so old, I know what Chad is saying.

Hey Chad, might as we "Go for soda."

It’s your Rock And Roll Duty.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: December 23, 2023, 09:00:13 PM »
Amen brotha!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #713 on: December 24, 2023, 01:52:05 AM »
As a young fogey, thanks for reminding me I'm so much younger than you mega fogeys :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: December 24, 2023, 04:28:00 AM »
As a young fogey, thanks for reminding me I'm so much younger than you mega fogeys :rollin

It's so funny... when the "fogey" thread first started, 30 was the membership clip.  Now, I don't even think you (at 40) are a fogey!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: December 24, 2023, 04:53:00 AM »
Chad sends Aldo Nova in the 2022 round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: December 24, 2023, 05:18:04 AM »
Chad sends Aldo Nova in the 2022 round.

*goes to look if they had a release*

Well shit!  But it's basically a re-recorded 'best-of', and 2 more discs for Karaoke.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #717 on: December 24, 2023, 06:31:21 AM »

Now, I don't even think you (at 40) are a fogey!

You and me both!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: December 24, 2023, 06:45:57 AM »

Fogey in training.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #719 on: December 25, 2023, 08:14:01 PM »
Here are the final results of the first impressions. I am finally on a computer and will try and type up the results tonight!

King King   Classic band with a modern sound, I only know one song by them but they sound just like that old song.
jingle.boy   Feels like a country song but this ain't bad, partner.
vmads   Fun instrumental, very clean guitar tone. Feels happy.
TAC   I hate the topic of this song - it saddens me to the core, and how it can strike anyone. So this will be a hard listen every time. Music is pretty good though.
Puppies   I like the feel of this prog rock band. It feels like a good blend between the words "prog" and "rock".
faizoff   I will try, but this stuff is not my jam.
Sacul   I'm iffy on singer-songwriter stuff (or stuff that sounds like it), but I enjoyed ths one more than I usually would with that ending.
Ariich   Quality progressive metal instrumental, nice and clean. Great tones.
lonestar   Quality progressive metal, nice and clean. Great tones.
LithoJazzoSphere   The metal and atmospheric bits on top, with the great vocals...this is one to watch this round.
Stadler   This man is surprisingly alive and making new music even this far into his life. It's pretty good.
romdrums   This song was over before it got started but it sounds like a fun metal instrumental.
ReaperKK   Very light and airy, feels like a lazy afternoon song.
luke   Vocals have a Maynard like quality that I like, the music is interesting, lots of movement and sounds that keep it interesting.
Tomislav   Yeah, this is heavy and dark.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: December 25, 2023, 08:16:01 PM »
Is it too late to send a happy song?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #721 on: December 25, 2023, 08:18:37 PM »
Yes, I am wallowing in misery now, you can't undo that

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Round 6 RESULTS! Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #722 on: December 25, 2023, 08:42:21 PM »
Round 6 Results!

Arch Echo – Measure of a Life   Ariich   8.7   

I really liked how this instrumental had a lot of energy to it, and everything comes through nicely. I feel like I can hear everything, including so much tasteful keyboard sounds. It gets quiet in the middle and then rebuilds into some really great epic stuff again. Even describing it as I write this, I bumped it up because an 8.5-8.6 just felt too low. Even this score might be too low but for now feels right, I wonder if getting to know their stuff would make think even higher, if that makes sense.

Daniel Tompkins – Stains of Betrayal   LithoJazzoSphere   8.7   

The atmosphere of this song is in this cramped sort of space, and the song shines because of it. I don't know if I am a fan of TesseracT just yet, I have heard some songs and been okay with it, but Daniel is great here.

Intronaut – Cubensis   luke   8.7   

The music gets brisk at times, and it's quite a ride. There is also, I think it's the bass, doing some really cool riffs that the other instruments give you a chance to appreciate. Vocals are perfect for this song, gritty and dirty. The middle break is a nice chance to breathe before heading back into that great intro stuff again.

Airbag – Sunsets   Puppies   8.6   

The energy on the part where he sings "and the sun sets on everyone" is worth a few tenths of a point automatically, that is some good stuff. I really dug the synth section about 4 minutes in, so ambient but driving ahead, back into that nice chorus. The song has a good ending, if not just a little too long, but it's still great.

Alpha Male Tea Party – God U.N.I.T.   romdrums   8.6   

This is defined as math-rock on Spotify, which, I guess it is, but whatever, this song has a groove to it that makes it fun to listen to. Lots of cool ideas melded together seamlessly, it rocks hard but changes it up at will. Good hit.

Kansas – Throwing Mountains   King King   8.5   

I know one (maybe more) Kansas song, the obvious Carry On My Wayward Son. That is a great song. So beyond that, I didn't exactly know what to expect going in. This is a really cool track. Catchy lyrics, rocks hard and has great keyboards (I think Kansas are known for having a big keyboard sound, maybe I am wrong).

Pyramid Theorem – Closer to the End   lonestar   8.5   

Really cool sounds in this song, the song is really dedicated to that main riff but manages to make some great sounding vocals and variations of it throughout. Good prog metal that kept me interested and didn't go too wild.

Paradise Lost – Darker Thoughts   Tomislav   8.5   

I liked the intro, soft and brooding. It led into the heavier stuff with some really cool growls eventually repeating "God asks not to kill". These growls were very nice. Really, this song isn't always what I like but it did its job in under 6 minutes and hooked me more than I thought it would.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intervals – Lock & Key   vmads   8.4   

This is a fun instrumental. I love when songs like this have the guitar doing this almost chime-like thing when the heavier guitar pauses for a moment. It has a charm to it that I cannot describe other than "this song will be listened to by a small percentage of all music listeners". My only complaint might be that it goes on a little too long for not going into too many directions, but sometimes that is the thing about being an instrumental.

Kim Mitchell – Wishes   jingle.boy   8.3   

Another easy listening song. The production is gorgeous, everything comes through crystal clear. It's nice on all fronts but it's not going to score past 8.3 just because it doesn't get any better than it it is. Which is fine, it's a cool song and I enjoyed it when it came on.

The Reticent – Stage 3: The Palliative Breath   TAC   8.3   

Ugh. I have never been around someone with dementia, and my uncle, who was/is a huge influence in my life in my early 20s, is starting to fall victim to it (he lives in a different state now). I find the idea of dementia absolutely terrifying, and also, the person in the song's story has the same name as my son. SO, regardless of all that, I put my feelings about this aside and listened, and this song is nicely done to talk about this hard topic. The lyrics are perfectly done and the switch from acoustic to hard rock musically is great. The way it's sung is also great, especially "so the best of me is done".

Ozzy Osbourne – Ordinary Man (feat. Elton John)   Stadler   8.3   

Ozzy and Elton still making good sounding music in the 2020s, go figure. This was pretty good, they both sound good doing their thing, nice melodies and heartfelt lyrics. It just didn't fully grab me either.

Phoebe Bridgers – I Know the End   Sacul   8.2   

Another easy listening song, nice vibes and build-up. Didn't see that sort of ending coming but it felt natural, and lasted long enough to feel it fully come through. That said, singer-songwriter stuff like this doesn't do it for me usually, even with the cool ending.

Ethan Gruska – Maybe I'll Go Nowhere   ReaperKK   8.2

It was a nice listen, easy enough with a few times where there was a small build-up. But songs like this typically get forgotten by me. It's good, it's inoffensive, but it doesn't fully grab me ether.

Sara Bareilles – More Love   faizoff   8.1   

Nice catchy song that my wife loved more than I did (I will play some songs from the playlist if they aren't harsh while we take a quick trip to the store). I find this style of music with female singer-songwriter stuff pleasant enough but nothing that is going to make me go "give me more", with very rare exceptions. Cool flow and lyrics, but I would ultimately not come back for it.

Overall Impressions: This round was weird for me. Nothing was a huge stand out, which is totally fine, and nothing was terrible or even bad, but I got some songs that were just not quite where I typically dwell. Still, nice round on the whole, some really cool stuff.

Standings
romdrums   52.3
TAC   51.8
Ariich   51.7
King Puppies   51.6
Tomislav95   51.4
LithoJazzoSphere   51
lonestar   50.9
King Postwhore   50.6
jingle.boy   50.5
Stadler   50.5
faizoff   50.4
vmadera00   50.3
ReaperKK   49.9
twosuitsluke   49.8
Sacul   49.7

Round 7 is open, send a song from 2021! Please get them by Wednesday!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 08:48:58 PM by Jamesman42 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: December 25, 2023, 08:45:40 PM »
Yes, I am wallowing in misery now, you can't undo that

Tim does this to a lot of people!  :neverusethis:

And my song is no better than wallowing in misery!   :lol

Back to instrumentals methinks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Standings!

romdrums   52.3
TAC   51.8
Ariich   51.7
King Puppies   51.6
Tomislav95   51.4
LithoJazzoSphere   51
lonestar   50.9
King Postwhore   50.6
jingle.boy   50.5
Stadler   50.5
faizoff   50.4
vmadera00   50.3
ReaperKK   49.9
twosuitsluke   49.8
Sacul   49.7

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
oof, sucked it that round.

I'm still unsure for 2021, but I'll send something tomorrow.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yup, pretty much. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Yeah, those guys really put out some solid prog metal, sent for 2021

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent a make or break song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
When is this due?

I kid, I kid! I see the big letters, and I'm in.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Offline romdrums

Still in first. I'll take it! 2021 sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

Has a roulette ever been this tight? Damn, better up my game again. Glad you enjoyed Intronaut.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Sent for round 7. 

Has a roulette ever been this tight? Damn, better up my game again.

This round sure is (only .2 separating the top 8), but rom is kind of running away with it at the moment.